Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

2K Sports released a new episode of NBA 2KTV today, complete with some of the first details of this upcoming year's game. Here are some of the highlights:
  • There will be more retro/classic teams in this year's game. Three teams were revealed: '99-'00 Raptors, '07-08 Celtics, '00-'01 Lakers. Based off of Scott's response, more teams will be revealed at a later date.
  • Some new shoes have been confirmed for Dwyane Wade and Klay Thompson. They are currently trying to get BrandBlack and Jamal Crawford's shoe in the game. Shoes are getting 3D scanned, so they should look a lot more realistic this year.
  • Reshot all of the crowd animations this year. A lot more exciting and pumped up animations to take the atmosphere to the next level as well.
  • Mike Wang: Biggest and most challenging year with gameplay yet. They're working on something big, it'll make the game look significantly better than any game before it.

At the end of the Mike Wang segment of the 2K16 preview, he says two words which the editing cleverly covers up. The details in the video are certainly solid, but we're even more anxious now to hear what else the 2K crew has up their sleeve for this season.

Any guesses on the 'big thing' they're working on for this year?

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 VDusen04 @ 05/30/15 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan
The 99 raptors at first glance caught me by surprise but when I started thinking more about it will be a very interesting and fun team to play with.
Really just a shot in the dark at this point, but that squad has been one of the most compatible addition possibilities for a few years now, since close to eight of their rotation players are already in 2K somewhere (Tracy McGrady, Vince Carter, Muggsy Bogues, Charles Oakley, Doug Christie, Kevin Willis, Dell Curry and possibly Dee Brown).

Basically, it theoretically wouldn't take too much effort to create that team in terms of license acquisition, though Antonio Davis and Alvin Williams would be nice bookend additions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestking100
Thank you so much 2k for listening to us. And a big thank you to DA_CZAR for pushing them to add more classic teams since we have been praying for them to do so from the start. I really appreciate your effort. Keep it up!
^I echo these thoughts. There's still a lot of bridges to cross (how the players will look, how many included per team, how many more teams, correct jerseys and courts, etc.) but I love seeing the ol' classic team ball rolling again and I have to think Da Czar played a very welcomed role in this regard.

# 82 RyanLaFalce @ 05/30/15 09:52 PM
I have a question about classic teams. Who do they ask if they want a certain team in? For example, who did they have to talk to in order to get the Raptors in? Maybe it's just a simple answer.

# 83 2_headedmonster @ 05/30/15 11:17 PM
I need the 7 sec or less suns, 06-07 warriors, 04 pistons, 08-09 rockets in my life.

# 84 VDusen04 @ 05/30/15 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLaFalce
I have a question about classic teams. Who do they ask if they want a certain team in? For example, who did they have to talk to in order to get the Raptors in? Maybe it's just a simple answer.
Could you clarify? Who did who have to talk to for what? My guess for the '00 Raptors is that a significant portion of the roster was already included in the game - guys like Kevin Willis, Charles Oakley, and Muggsy Bogues previously had their rights agreed for use back in 2011-2012 when they were included on other classic teams - so it may have just been a case of using their already existing likenesses and adding them to a new 2000 Raptors slot (hopefully with attribute and visual differences).

# 85 RyanLaFalce @ 05/30/15 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Could you clarify? Who did who have to talk to for what? My guess for the '00 Raptors is that a significant portion of the roster was already included in the game - guys like Kevin Willis, Charles Oakley, and Muggsy Bogues previously had their rights agreed for use back in 2011-2012 when they were included on other classic teams - so it may have just been a case of using their already existing likenesses and adding them to a new 2000 Raptors slot (hopefully with attribute and visual differences).
Who does 2K have to talk to in order to get historic teams in. Individual players?

# 86 Eman5805 @ 05/31/15 12:00 AM
AI is getting taxed? Hm...wonder if it's something like the AI can do things like take advantage of players that try to cheat when teams run plays. Like try to cut off a player coming off a screen, only to fall back and take an open 3 or something.

Some kind of real time physics is gucci, but I wonder how much gnashing of teeth goes on when we say RTP and they can't quite work out all the kinks so we'll have to wait another game or two or however the dev process work.

# 87 VDusen04 @ 05/31/15 12:01 AM
Quote:
Who does 2K have to talk to in order to get historic teams in. Individual players?
Oh gotcha. It's always been slightly grey. I think the most prominent players (All-Stars, Hall of Famers) typically must be negotiated with individually. I think Charles Barkley mentioned a few years ago that he was offered a set amount by 2K and he turned it down (only to later relent at the behest of Jay-Z, in the name of the Dream Team).

I've heard through the grapevine that there may be an NBA retired players union of some form that may allow 2K to pay for some players' rights en masse (meaning they may not have to individually talk to, say, Paul Mokeski, John Paxson, and Kenny Gattison if they all happened to belong to this particular group). I don't know that for sure though; maybe they still need their permission but negotiations are all uniform for those non-superstars... something like that.

But again, of the new teams mentioned so far, they all feature a good helping of players whose rights have already been owned by 2K for a number of years, so a lot of the legwork was already done in that regard.

Here's a link to all the classic teams 2K could theoretically add using only players already included in their game: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...eady-game.html ... actually that link isn't working for me for some reason. It's on the first page of the forum at the moment.

# 88 The Senator @ 05/31/15 01:16 AM
Great news, especially with the classic teams.

Here's my two cents on what I'd like to see fill out the rest of that:

Pioneer Era All Star team so we can use guys like prime Cousy, Mikan, Sharman, and Pettit, who'd be great for rounding out my all time teams. Heck, taking that a step further, why not bring back the all decade teams? You could get some quality players out of that without having to fill out entire classic teams to get prime versions of some guys who never played for a great team like Bob Lainer, Artis Gilmore or George Gervin(in his prime).

Mid 2000s era Spurs so I can get to Bruce Elbowin' some fools
Mid-Late 90s era Pacers, if they can get Reggie to sign on
2003-2004 Detroit Pistons would be a quality addition
2004 Pacers would be an amusing addition if we put the champion Pistons in there so we could recreate the Brawl at Auburn Hills, shame that couldn't be recreated in game form, complete with Ron Artest quick time events in the crowd and Jermaine O'Neal sliding punches

Also, if they could get Kareem back, that'd be icing on the cake, he's been in the game before, so it can't be impossible. I'm guessing Chuck's probably too much to ask for...unless 2K can somehow pony up for the TNT broadcast package. Perhaps that's the way to go, and it might be enough to get us C-Webb's return, too.

Finally, LET US HAVE FULL EDIT OPTIONS WITH COACHES AND ASSISTANTS. Sorry about the caps, but that's been a big one for me for years. I want to be able to hire and fire coaches in a roster edit menu. Classic teams would benefit a great deal from this, but it'd also let me do things like keeping Thibs on the Bulls(not happy about how that went down) or shave some years off Pops to keep him in the league as long as possible in MyCareer.

# 89 eye guy @ 05/31/15 02:35 AM
"I can describe 2k16 in two words (Fill in the blank)"

2K15 2.0

# 90 CaseIH @ 05/31/15 04:29 AM
While I enjoy playing classic teams as well as the Euro teams, imo the classic teams are a waste if your not going to have all real players for each classic teams roster, especially with star players missing like Kareem. Probably wouldn't be quite as bad if they didn't have such horrible fakes, and had all names of the real players in the audio so when you made a real player you wouldn't have to hear some stupid nickname like they do.

I know they are going to have to do more than this to get me to buy it this time around, and everything has to do with fixing the main mode that I play which is My League, and I would play MY GM, and maybe even My Player if they were done so crappy, but My League has a couple issues that has to be fixed before I spend another penny on this game.

# 91 micole @ 05/31/15 06:36 AM
Personally I thought 2k15 was the best yet( with tweaking the player attributes and badges and sig shots, and sliders you'll have an NBA experience. As for 2K16 the crew looks very AND I MEAN VERY CONFIDENT! Haven't seen them this confident in years, especially to announce 2k16 this early. I think with the 3D shoe scans( thank GOD) the body scans that they took will look phenomenal. Think bout it- they would be the first sports franchise to do it( LORD KNOWS IT AINT MADDEN) I think the Nba2K crew will be the 1st Sports franchise figured out to utilize more power to PS4/ Xbox one for the graphics

# 92 RyanLaFalce @ 05/31/15 08:35 AM
Have body scans been confirmed?

# 93 micole @ 05/31/15 09:42 AM
Quote:
Have body scans been confirmed?
See for yourself (unlike Madden) we don't have to wait 8years for improvement

# 94 VDusen04 @ 05/31/15 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH
While I enjoy playing classic teams as well as the Euro teams, imo the classic teams are a waste if your not going to have all real players for each classic teams roster, especially with star players missing like Kareem. Probably wouldn't be quite as bad if they didn't have such horrible fakes, and had all names of the real players in the audio so when you made a real player you wouldn't have to hear some stupid nickname like they do.
I can see how this might be an issue for online players. But in terms of offline single player, multiplayer, Association, etc., it's relatively easy to fill the few blanks by creating the missing players or downloading a roster that has all the rosters completed.

Even online, the classics have generally had a pretty solid 8-man real-person rotation. I know there can be times where one of the fakes finds himself on the court, but I'd certainly prefer that to nothing. The exception would be a team like the one you mentioned, where Kareem Abdul-Jabbar once existed in 2K but subsequently removed his rights.

# 95 YaBoial @ 05/31/15 11:06 AM
i'll be happy if the zig-zag dribble is gone completely, and focus majorly on defense this year. i know its not flashy but it is a important aspect to make the game fun. its too many ppl who just play offense then stand on a off-ball player

# 96 exposedaking @ 05/31/15 11:41 AM
I hope the classic player faces and courts get updated, it's one of the main reasons i never play with them. They're ugly and inaccurate.

# 97 cowboy_kmoney @ 05/31/15 12:25 PM
2K is going to bring the Heat once again like always.So i like this game and how far its kome it changed ever year and gives us something. Damn how i wish they kould give us a football game.

# 98 xSubzer0x @ 05/31/15 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_kmoney
Damn how i wish they kould give us a football game.
Jesus Christ please let this happen! I remember the old NFL 2K games. They were so fun to play and what made it better was the presentation and ESPN aspects. Imagine what they could do on this gen.

# 99 ai2k2 @ 05/31/15 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by micole
Personally I thought 2k15 was the best yet( with tweaking the player attributes and badges and sig shots, and sliders you'll have an NBA experience. As for 2K16 the crew looks very AND I MEAN VERY CONFIDENT! Haven't seen them this confident in years, especially to announce 2k16 this early. I think with the 3D shoe scans( thank GOD) the body scans that they took will look phenomenal. Think bout it- they would be the first sports franchise to do it( LORD KNOWS IT AINT MADDEN) I think the Nba2K crew will be the 1st Sports franchise figured out to utilize more power to PS4/ Xbox one for the graphics
Agreed. I think with the ease of use for developers on the PlayStation 4 as well and the power it harnesses this 2K is set to be the best yet. So far the developers are showing the confidence to prove it may very well be. I hope they do all the arenas over down to the real life blue print of each facility including practice ones at some point in the series

# 100 rudeworld @ 05/31/15 06:50 PM
I bet all he said was ".....best ever" or "...greatest ever"

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.