Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

Spike Lee, acclaimed filmmaker and die-hard New York Knicks fan, is writing and directing the single-player MyCAREER mode for NBA 2K16.

Lee, who directed films such as "Do the Right Thing" and "He Got Game", said he was asked to work on the game this year, an offer which he accepted.

Quote:
"Lee said the game's story centers on a basketball player named Frequency Vibrations, whose personal exploits off the court are just as chaotic as the game on it.

"It's about the trials and tribulations of life on a big stage with the money, fame, temptations, family members, the press, fans, all that stuff," said Lee.

Lee is known for his gritty storytelling style, but that won't be an issue with NBA 2K16.

Quote:
"We make an E-rated game," said Thomas. "It's an NBA licensed project and obviously the NBA cares a lot about their brand and makes sure we stick within those boundaries. Spike understood that from the get-go, but he didn't take his foot off the gas because of that. He still brought the drama."

UPDATE: (via SimBaller, AKA Erick Boenisch - comment post #68)

Quote:
I hate to disappoint, but it's just a nickname people. You can take a deep breath.

YOUR (created or scanned) face is still front and center, and your own inserted name is in play here.

I know it's hard when it's all you have, but try not to jump to conclusions too much here. I think you guys will find this one highly enjoyable...

UPDATE #2: (via @Ronnie2K)

Quote:
Want to squash a piece of incorrect speculation: Players are able to create, name, customize & develop their #MyPLAYER in #NBA2K16 per usual.

What do you think about Spike Lee directing the MyCAREER story this year? What do you expect to see out of Frequency Vibrations' story this season?

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Kodii Rockets @ 06/04/15 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasco11
Would have preferred Radio Raheem
RADIOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequency Vibrations
Finally! The commentators will be able to say my name.
Marvelous execution sir, you win the internets for today.

# 62 Jrocc23 @ 06/04/15 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimBaller
I hate to disappoint, but it's just a nickname people. You can take a deep breath.

YOUR (created or scanned) face is still front and center, and your own inserted name is in play here.

I know it's hard when it's all you have, but try not to jump to conclusions too much here. I think you guys will find this one highly enjoyable...

I honestly don't even want that to be my nickname. But, hey, it's better than having Vibrations on the back of my jersey.

# 63 Tunechid @ 06/04/15 04:58 PM
Hopefully you get to play in college since every cover athlete have a college picture on the cover

# 64 Tunechid @ 06/04/15 05:10 PM
As I'm reading through this forum you guys are giving bad reviews with little to none detail about the mode

# 65 MoneyOvaHuds @ 06/04/15 05:13 PM
@Ronnie2K: Want to squash a piece of incorrect speculation: Players are able to create, name, customize & develop their #MyPLAYER in #NBA2K16 per usual

# 66 DocHolliday @ 06/04/15 05:16 PM
"Frequency Vibrations takes it strong to the rack!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 67 m1ke_nyc @ 06/04/15 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimBaller

What about changing uniforms before the game ?

# 68 bxphenom7 @ 06/04/15 05:36 PM
Why can't MyCareer just be like RTTS in MLB The Show?? This story stuff needs its own mode, like what 24/7 sort of was. I'd much rather stick with 2k15, I can at least deal with the undrafted premise. Hell, I never even understood why there had to be a Jackson Ellis and all that in 2k14. 2k should just keep stories out of MyCareer in the future. As of right now, I'll pass.

# 69 m1ke_nyc @ 06/04/15 05:43 PM
The mode should no longer be called "mycareer" because its not mine. Its 2Ks or in this case Spike Lee's scripted story that I must follow. We all play out the same career making slightly different choices from time to time. Just call it story mode or something. I want mycareer or myplayer from the earlier days of the mode. I wanna play my career not be forced into situations to play out a story.

# 70 ggsimmonds @ 06/04/15 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunechid
Hopefully you get to play in college since every cover athlete have a college picture on the cover
With posters flipping out over the name and being their typical emotional over reaction experts, this was overlooked.

What we know:
1. Info says follow the player from high school.
2. Guys are no longer allowed to go straight to the NBA from high school
3. Cover shows guys in their college jersey.

Guys...this could be pretty ****ing huge.
Or mycareer may force us to play a year in Euroleague.

Looks like this has the potential to be the best career mode ever or a complete bust. I am definitely intrigued and cannot wait to hear more information.

# 71 I Djm @ 06/04/15 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratedmoney
The mode should no longer be called "mycareer" because its not mine. Its 2Ks or in this case Spike Lee's scripted story that I must follow. We all play out the same career making slightly different choices from time to time. Just call it story mode or something. I want mycareer or myplayer from the earlier days of the mode. I wanna play my career not be forced into situations to play out a story.
Basically this ^^^

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

# 72 m-dogg @ 06/04/15 05:55 PM
I'll never be able to finish any 2k story unless they finally add custom sliders to this mode. otherwise year after year, I love it for the first month or two...and then once the gameplay issues become more and more obvious, and I cannot adjust them or even my player's or AI's shot percentages, I lose all interest as I can not maintain any kind of true realism...

# 73 Taer @ 06/04/15 05:56 PM
Simballer has not misled me yet, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt. With that said, I was told that I'd like the Jay-Z inspired presentation as well ... so I will wait and see.

# 74 TalenT @ 06/04/15 06:06 PM
I can just see it now....He Got Game...Too! Starring Buddha Shuttlebucket...

# 75 jfsolo @ 06/04/15 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
With posters flipping out over the name and being their typical emotional over reaction experts, this was overlooked.

What we know:

Looks like this has the potential to be the best career mode ever or a complete bust. I am definitely intrigued and cannot wait to hear more information.
Yes, the comedic gold of this thread notwithstanding, those are some very intriguing tidbits, with as you say, the potential to make the mode great.

# 76 SPRINGS03 @ 06/04/15 06:31 PM
Hmm, so more scripted events based on the story, and more overdone "drama" i'm guessing? Meh, i'd rather them use their resources on something else more important, there's no way spike lee was cheap. I wanna like my player, the concept is great, but i'm not a fan of the forced storyline and the cheesy theatrics. I'd rather just play out my own career.

# 77 OrangeFriendlyFrog @ 06/04/15 07:03 PM
I have no interest in living a pre-made storyline. I want to have a blank canvas from the very beginning with no forced story. 2K needs to bring back the original style of career mode.

# 78 Wolf Ticket @ 06/04/15 07:11 PM
Not feeling the direction of MyCareer since they implemented these story line elements, wish they'd have a separate, old school MyCareer mode or even bring back 'Create a Legend' in it original form as an alternative.

# 79 Clappington @ 06/04/15 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds

What we know:

Leave it to people on OS to complain about this lol, I been wanting something like road to glory on NCAA and the clues as of right now are pointing very much towards that right now and if this is the case I'm loving it!

# 80 TeamHawkins @ 06/04/15 07:18 PM
Once I read "Frequency Vibrations" and how 2K is targeting more children after this year's arcade child's play, I realized I can save my $60 for much better games.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.