Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

Spike Lee is going to take NBA 2K16 to another level with his inclusion in the game’s MyCareer story mode. Story is everything, after all.

My Career is going to follow the world of your player (Ronnie 2K has confirmed “Frequent Vibrations” is not your only option) as he continues his hoops journey in high school. That sounds great, but what’s the real underlying question here? NBA rules state that a player cannot jump straight to the pros.

All three of the covers released for 2K16 feature the star from their college days: Steph Curry at Davidson, Anthony Davis at Kentucky and James Harden at Arizona State. Could college hoops, after eight years and one console generation, be returning to the PlayStation and Xbox?

There’s also the potential of walking in Emmanuel Mudiay’s footsteps, and playing overseas after high school.

Either way, with the option to play overseas or choosing the length of your college career, simulation would be taken to the next step for sure. And Spike Lee is definitely the kind of guy that could make this happen.

Here’s to College Hoops. I hope.

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 videlsports @ 07/20/15 10:47 PM
Then get drafted by the 76ers and stay there for a while, so the Sixers can continue being a terrible team acquiring draft picks and assets... lolol Joking about that part.[/quote]

LOL unfortunately you are telling the truth Bro.

College basketball from 2k sports.. another big time seller like 2k.

Then college FOOTBALL!!!!

# 82 DC @ 07/21/15 12:16 PM
@darrenrovell: 2K has indeed gotten the licenses to at least 10 college teams & will have college basketball.

# 83 Clappington @ 07/21/15 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC
@darrenrovell: 2K has indeed gotten the licenses to at least 10 college teams & will have college basketball.
Yup just saw that on twitter, wonder if he knows anything we dont.

# 84 huntt26 @ 07/21/15 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC
Well, that is some awesome news! Unfortunate it's a small number of schools, but gotta start somewhere.

# 85 jfsolo @ 07/21/15 01:11 PM
IMO, paying a licensing fee just for utilization in cut scenes/storytelling would be a waste of money. I know that a lot of people are super big on authenticity in all things, but they should just use all fictitious schools if there isn't going to be any playability with the real schools. Use that coin on something else.

# 86 DoEweWumb0 @ 07/21/15 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntt26
Well, that is some awesome news! Unfortunate it's a small number of schools, but gotta start somewhere.
Yeah, unless your a fan of one of the ten juggernaut schools listed, it's just gonna be seen as limited progress.

One thing to think about... Steph Curry went to Davidson, a super small school. If their going to feature his college likeness attending a small school on the cover, wouldn't that open the door to make other small schools featured?

I'm probably just reaching here. Still pretty exciting to hear "College" and "2k" be mentioned seriously by the media.

# 87 Sinner @ 07/21/15 02:44 PM
Even though if true I hope it ends up being more thank 10 that would still be very good news to me. Now the thing is will there be rule changes for college and will they have different commentary for college in playing those games.

Can't wait to start getting more info on this. Can't you get the game slightly early with pre-order? Now would that also bring the info in a little earlier?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

# 88 steagles @ 07/21/15 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoEweWumb0
Yeah, unless your a fan of one of the ten juggernaut schools listed, it's just gonna be seen as limited progress.

One thing to think about... Steph Curry went to Davidson, a super small school. If their going to feature his college likeness attending a small school on the cover, wouldn't that open the door to make other small schools featured?

I'm probably just reaching here. Still pretty exciting to hear "College" and "2k" be mentioned seriously by the media.
But its everything for me as a University of Louisville student!

# 89 jeremym480 @ 07/21/15 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
IMO, paying a licensing fee just for utilization in cut scenes/storytelling would be a waste of money. I know that a lot of people are super big on authenticity in all things, but they should just use all fictitious schools if there isn't going to be any playability with the real schools. Use that coin on something else.
Hopefully, I'm wrong but I get the feeling that colleges will be for MyCareer only. Which honestly I don't care about, but to me that would fit the #BeTheStory narrative. Maybe you could use them in exhibition too, but imo that will be it...

I just don't see them adding most of the NCAA schools, all of the rules, player editing, ability to draft from those players, etc. that most MyLeague players would want. I'd love to have that and basically have two games for the price of one, but the pessimist in me is saying that's a pipe dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner
Even though if true I hope it ends up being more thank 10 that would still be very good news to me. Now the thing is will there be rule changes for college and will they have different commentary for college in playing those games.

Can't wait to start getting more info on this. Can't you get the game slightly early with pre-order? Now would that also bring the info in a little earlier?

Yes, you can get it September 25th if you pre-order... it's September 29th without pre-ordering. Last year the MyLeague info dropped in early August if I recall correctly and the game came out October 7th. Assuming the keep the same marketing schedule, then we should be getting substantial info within the next week or two.

# 90 jfsolo @ 07/21/15 03:08 PM
I hope people can see the big picture and realize that the return of any playable college basketball would be a great start and not meltdown if their favorite team isn't in the mix. There has been no college hoops at all from 2K for going on 8 years. 8 YEARS.

# 91 King_B_Mack @ 07/21/15 03:11 PM
Quote:

I would think yes. I thought from the jump when Mike Wang mentioned the two words that were giving the engineers fits, that college was what he was getting at. Made the most sense honestly given the undertaking it would be trying to get all the differences between the two levels in the game. The shot clock, the tempos, the foul outs, the rules, the 3 point line. It could totally not be what he was talking about this whole time, but the evidence definitely says something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 92 BenGerman @ 07/21/15 03:12 PM
Honestly, it would make a lot of sense for 2K to buy the license to some of the bigger schools and slowly expand depending on the success of the game if there is indeed one to be made.

Buy the license for a dozen teams or so and give people the creative tools to design some other schools and you're probably good to go. Rovell's tweet is so vague that it's hard to get too excited yet, but it's something.

# 93 jeremym480 @ 07/21/15 03:27 PM
I agree that it's a step in the right direction and I glad that colleges will be back in at least some form. With that said, I'd be lying if this doesn't scare the hell out of me. Some of my favorite features and games have been yanked away from me in the past due to legal issues... And if this somehow backfires and we lose created draft classes I'm going to have a come apart.

# 94 Wildcats302 @ 07/21/15 03:35 PM
Did DR say who the 10+ teams are?

# 95 Sinner @ 07/21/15 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
I would think yes. I thought from the jump when Mike Wang mentioned the two words that were giving the engineers fits, that college was what he was getting at. Made the most sense honestly given the undertaking it would be trying to get all the differences between the two levels in the game. The shot clock, the tempos, the foul outs, the rules, the 3 point line. It could totally not be what he was talking about this whole time, but the evidence definitely says something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool but IMO if they are going to allow players to come from College to NBA it would be better and more realistic if they handled the draft like they do when you choose to draft all the NBA players and customize your league. (Hope I explained that right)

They have to allow rookies for this up coming year to be drafted to any team. If I leave college the same time as Towns, Okafor, Russell etc and I am considered the #1 pick the T'Wolves decide to pick me Towns needs to still be on the board and possibly going to the Lakers and so forth.

# 96 king_brandon_23 @ 07/21/15 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats302
Did DR say who the 10+ teams are?
The teams are Arizona, Arizona State, Connecticut, Georgetown, Kansas, Louisville, Michigan, Texas, UCLA, Villanova and Wisconsin

Source: http://www.sbnation.com/college-bask...-2k-sports-nba

# 97 Junior Moe @ 07/21/15 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I hope people can see the big picture and realize that the return of any playable college basketball would be a great start and not meltdown if their favorite team isn't in the mix. There has been no college hoops at all from 2K for going on 8 years. 8 YEARS.

This!! I'm all in because it's a sign that 2K is at least thinking about college ball. Even if a full fledged CH never materializes. Like you said, it has been 8 years since the vaunted CH2k8. And there have been lawsuits out the wazoo with regards to the NCAA and player likeness. I honestly thought that we wouldn't see colleges represented in a game until a few years AFTER the lawsuits are settled and a new model emerges. I truly appreciate the effort and what it could mean down the line.

# 98 Junior Moe @ 07/21/15 06:33 PM
Quote:
If we are able to play games in college, I'm sure 2K would tweak the rules and courts. On the commentary note, they do have Clark Kellogg (just makes too much sense) and the voice in the MyCareer commercials sound very much like Dan or Peter (not sure which one) from NFL2K. A man can dream, a man can dream...

# 99 Ward13 @ 07/21/15 08:58 PM
10 teams is quite alright with me! Sure you may or may not see your favorite university listed but just knowing we'll have ANY college team at our disposal is a GIANT step in the right direction. I'm sure as soon as we get the full scoop on how these 10 teams will be implemented within the game some of those minor problems some have with only having 10 teams will quickly turn into praise and gratitude for what 2K has done to even get these teams in the game. Lets just wait and see what's lies ahead of us, this could be epic!!!

# 100 WishListGOD 1 OF 2 @ 07/21/15 10:34 PM
There are simply no negatives to this. With college basketball in the game the bar has already been raised and if its fleshed out properly no doubt it will raise it even higher. 2k is very progressive(sometimes slowly) and this will only get better with time, my only wish is that highschool can stick around and become more integrated very advanced scouting.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.