Home
NHL 16 News Post

The NHL 16 team continues to answer questions about the game at their Ask EA page. The Q&A is copied and pasted below for easier reading.

Will there be goalie injuries in off line modes?

If games are simmed during the off line modes there are goalie injuries. During gameplay we do not have goalie injuries.

Will single player tournaments be available in HUT 16 under "Play Solo"? This is the feature i'm missing most. As someone who loves playing the CPU, the tournament win bonus was the main reason I could actually build a nice team in earlier versions of NHL.

Hi Jason, glad you asked! In HUT 16, we are introducing Single Player Seasons for the first time. It has very similar aspects to the old Offline Tournaments with the ability to work your way through higher divisions. On top of this, we are also bringing back entry criteria to help keep things interesting.

Love seeing EASHL is coming back. My biggest complain with it is that it doesn't play like any of the other modes / real NHL, no reason to dump for a line change, get on fresh players when stamina is low. It's essentially a game no line changes enabled. Can we ever expect to see a line change feature in EASHL, so that the captain calls for a change, you skate to the bench and your player comes back out with fresh legs, more stamina? I'm not saying have reserve players or sitting on the bench, but just something that captures the flow of a game more accurately than skating around, always pushing into the offensive zone.

Hi TK, thanks for your question. Line changes is something that does come up in our design discussions. I can definitely see your point but it does have some design drawbacks that we have to be careful with. This is something we will continue to look into.

How will the draft look and will be able to pick our players/trade our picks or will it be simulated?

Last year after NHL 15 was released we put in a patch a whole new Entry Draft experience for our users, allowing users to make their own picks as well as trading their picks to other teams. This will be in NHL 16 for you to use to draft your up and coming stars.

What will we see in the way of tutorials for those of us new to the series?

In NHL 16 we have a new feature called On-Ice Visual Trainer which is meant to allow all players (regardless of skill level) compete at a higher level by teaching them the controls through visual aids. These aids are adaptive so that as you learn each of the controls, you continuously advance to more complex moves.

In NHL15 online team play is plagued with too many player collisions. Has this been identified as an issue to be fixed for NHL 16?

Yes, with the return of EASHL, there has been a big focus on balance and behavior making the game fun to play from every position in an online multiplayer space. Part of this has been tuning core gameplay elements/factors such as player physics and collisions. We have not only tuned the balance of how prepared players are in different situations for collisions but also added more variety in reactions at lower levels so that even when players do collide, they don't have to be as extreme as they were in NHL 15. Small stumbles have helped these incidental collisions as well as allowed big power forwards to protect the puck when turning their back to a defensive player to absorbing impacts better.

Will teams sit on the correct players benches this year?

We have gone through all of the stadiums and tried to update them to be as authentic as possible. The art and rendering teams did an amazing job in NHL 15 capturing the architectural likeness of all of the licensed buildings but this year was more about taking them to the next level with behavior and interaction and they have met and surpassed the mark once again. In NHL 16 you will see players on the correct benches, using the proper tunnels for the home and away teams, updated banners to be as authentic as possible and many other stadium accents to add more life into each of the arenas.

Has any work been done to avoid pucks and sticks going through legs, net, board?

We are always adding improvements within physics for collision detection. We have also improved the detection of stick on stick & stick on body collisions to tune when pucks get dislodged/collide per game style. We have also added the ability to tune how stick on stick contact effects puck control from different angles to simulate the strength the defender would have vs. the offensive player. These are the types of improvements you can expect to see in NHL 16.

With the NBC package, will there be warm ups, league updates, player/coach interviews, national anthems?

For NHL 16 we have worked closely with NBC and have received great support to update the in-game broadcast package to better match the authenticity of what they rolled out this past January on their network. On top of that, Doc and Eddie will have a lot more pre-game analysis to cover your team and your opponents as you play through a season and for specific match-ups. We don't have interviews this year but you will see the players skating around pre-game as the commentary team focuses on the teams/players complete with spot lights, team props raising to the rafters, crowd flags and unique effects whenever authentic to the team.

Has there been any server upgrades to help with lag issues?

Yes. With more and more people playing online every day, we're continuously trying to improve our online experience.

Will Custom Soundtracks be possible in NHL16?

This year our focus was to get music to make our in-arena experience as authentic as possible. Unfortunately, Custom Soundtracks will not be in NHL 16.

Will be a Pro include the All-Star game?

The All-Star game will not be a part of Be A Pro this year however it is something we will continue to look into.

Game: NHL 16Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
NHL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 jmoney2436 @ 06/10/15 02:14 PM
Look at the goalies glove in the picture. Its up above his hip like it should be. In past games it would be at hip level or possibly below making high glove that much easier. That one small change is hopefully a gameplay fix and not just for aesthetics.

IMO the reason they are keeping goalie info hush-hush is because:
- They are working on revamping goalie mechanics as much as they can.
- They may not be able to finish in time so we can be stuck with a slightly improved version of 15(ex. the glove). If they can't finish it, expect it to be complete by 17.

# 22 canucksss @ 06/10/15 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir psycho
So, the team surpassed the mark by having teams sit on the right benches, and using proper tunnels? This series is so disappointing right now. There shouldn't even be questions about this stuff being right, it should just be a standard no-brainer part of the game....but they consider it to be surpassing the mark.
I think the way EA answer these questions are pure marketing aspect. You try to brush aside your weak points by elevating the strong points of your product. So they have to include this question so they could promote their "strength".

I just hope EA will give us the reason why player edit cannot be done, instead of just down playing it. Honesty is what we need from them, to earn back the respect and trust.

# 23 jboe235 @ 06/10/15 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney2436
Look at the goalies glove in the picture. Its up above his hip like it should be. In past games it would be at hip level or possibly below making high glove that much easier. That one small change is hopefully a gameplay fix and not just for aesthetics.
That has been one of my biggest annoyances with goalies in this game over the past 5+ years. Even if that's one of the only improvements to them, at least I can count that as a tiny win.

# 24 ericromain @ 06/10/15 06:24 PM
It's disappointing that there's no custom music again, but i'm intrigued about arena authentic music.

I think you guys are being a little overtly negative. I admit there's not a lot of wow factor this year, but I gotta say i'm impressed with their honesty and transparency in this year's Q&A. In recent years they've been ignoring the "no/maybe" questions.

# 25 actionhank @ 06/11/15 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolbe31
You're 100% right, people will buy it because they're starved for a new hockey game. For me, this is the only game I buy. I may get Madden or PGA every couple years, but NHL is purchased every year, day 1.

It's gotta be tough, making these games every year, trying to be innovative and fresh. The things they do, the features they put into the game, it's all calculated. Features being taken out, then added again in a few years. There's no "we ran out of time". It'd be interesting to know what the process is, how they decide what's in and what's out. Can they get it ALL in? I'd say so. But then what's left for next year? The perfect game simply can't exist, nobody would buy NHL 17 if 16 was perfect. It's a harsh reality, but this song and dance will continue for as long as this (or any other) company makes an annual NHL game.
I don't think anyone will ever get perfect. But, taking The Show as an example, you can at least get a very good representation of the game, and still have fun and depth together.

People still line up to get that game every year, despite not needing to. I've been clamoring for The Show's most recent release, and I was still playing 13, only because I have yet to upgrade.

To a lot of people, myself included, I will buy a new version of a near perfect game, just to support the company. Because the plus side is, when something's close to perfect, they're usually just perfecting things, and adding user requested items, like jerseys, and other game modes. Nailing the core gameplay allows them to tweak and perfect it, while focusing on more fun or extra items. NHL isn't even close to that, in my opinion. The gameplay has been stale for a while, and the same annoying bugs have existed for years now. They've fixed a few things, but this year, and last year, it just seems that HUT was the focus, and will continue to be.

I don't expect perfection from anyone, be it a person, or a company. But with EA's NHL series, they've been missing the mark, and now just focus almost exclusively on HUT to the detriment of the rest of the series. I don't blame Rammer of the developers, I think they get their orders and have to execute them as best as possible. I know game development is a hard job. You work a lot of 60+ hour weeks, trying to perfect a game, only to have the higher ups tell you what to change, what to cut, and what to focus on. It's possible the guys on the team may be dying to get a real simulation game, and stick-on-stick collisions, but sadly, they're not the ones calling the shots. The guys above them are, and to them, it's about profits, and when you take people dropping 60+ at the door to get the game, and more money after that for card packs, and use of servers (with board advertising) then it's obvious that someone just dropping 60 and playing offline isn't as valuable in terms of profit as someone who's willing to spend double the price of the game over a year.

It sucks, but that's business.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.