Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post

Penalties have long not been a big part of the Madden NFL experience. This year, EA is hoping to change that legacy, which you can read fully fleshed out on their new blog:

Quote:
"Our hardcore simulation fans have been demanding realistic penalties for years. The team finally made this a point of emphasis in Madden NFL 16, and penalties will play a bigger factor than ever before.

In addition to several new penalties being added, we have updated all pre-existing penalties and built a system to control penalty frequency."

What This Means: Every player is going to get a penalty trait based on real-world NFL data, which will determine how likely they are to commit a penalty. Also, how you play the game will determine how many penalties are called as well. A pressing cornerback is used as an example, where your chances of seeing a defensive holding penalty are higher than if he is playing loose.

The penalty sliders also are getting a makeover, with the default setting based on NFL penalty averages over the last five seasons, which will make penalty type and frequency as authentic as possible, so EA says.

Penalties which got the updated treatment include: Encroachment, False Start, Offensive Holding, Facemask, Defensive Pass Interference, Illegal Block in the Back, Neutral Zone Infraction, Defensive Holding, Illegal Forward Pass, Illegal Touching, Delay of Game, Kick Catch Interference Running into the Kicker, Unnecessary Roughness and Roughing the Passer.

What do you think of the potentially improved penalties?

Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 24 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 roadman @ 06/20/15 09:39 AM
The list of new and updated penalties includes:

Encroachment, False Start, Offensive Holding, Facemask, Defensive Pass Interference, Illegal Block in the Back, Neutral Zone Infraction, Defensive Holding, Illegal Forward Pass, Illegal Touching, Delay of Game, Kick Catch Interference Running into the Kicker, Unnecessary Roughness and Roughing the Passer.

# 162 OSUFan_88 @ 06/20/15 12:33 PM
Penalty rating...

Oh man, poor Jets players. Buster Skrine will give you a preview of things to come.

# 163 Godgers12 @ 06/20/15 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
The list of new and updated penalties includes:

Encroachment, False Start, Offensive Holding, Facemask, Defensive Pass Interference, Illegal Block in the Back, Neutral Zone Infraction, Defensive Holding, Illegal Forward Pass, Illegal Touching, Delay of Game, Kick Catch Interference Running into the Kicker, [b]Unnecessary Roughness[\b] and Roughing the Passer.
So you can get a penalty for hit sticking a WR who dares to come over the middle? If so that is pretty lame, for us online CFM guys.

# 164 neifro @ 06/20/15 12:45 PM
That's realistic, you can't hit WR over the middle in today's NFL.

# 165 roadman @ 06/20/15 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgers12
So you can get a penalty for hit sticking a WR who dares to come over the middle? If so that is pretty lame, for us online CFM guys.
There is new CB controls, either go for the Int or try breaking up the pass and colliding with the WR if you are in the area.

# 166 Godgers12 @ 06/20/15 12:51 PM
What's the point of having hit power if you cant use it? I know if I'm playing and it's 4th down late in the game and I get a roughing because I lay the WR out to break up the pass, and lose as a result, I'll probably Gronk Spike my controller, or break the disk.

# 167 mestevo @ 06/20/15 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgers12
What's the point of having hit power if you cant use it? I know if I'm playing and it's 4th down late in the game and I get a roughing because I lay the WR out to break up the pass, and lose as a result, I'll probably Gronk Spike my controller, or break the disk.
What does hit power have to do with pass interference? Play the ball and don't break the rules and you won't see the flag.

# 168 Godgers12 @ 06/20/15 12:55 PM
Roughing is not pass interference.

# 169 The JareBear @ 06/20/15 01:01 PM
So you're concerned about unnecessary roughness? Something tells me the game will mostly apply that to hits out of bounds, I have a hard time seeing hit stick tackles drawing penalties in the game, but I guess we will see.

Really, for me personally, if it is called in real life I want it called in the game, but that's just me

# 170 DeuceDouglas @ 06/20/15 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear
So you're concerned about unnecessary roughness? Something tells me the game will mostly apply that to hits out of bounds, I have a hard time seeing hit stick tackles drawing penalties in the game, but I guess we will see.

Really, for me personally, if it is called in real life I want it called in the game, but that's just me
I can't remember what Rex called it in the interview yesterday but he was talking about the thing they implemented where players would come diving in and some of those are definitely unnecessary roughness worthy. I've seen a couple where guys just come in like a missile diving at guys legs like they're Terrell Suggs.

# 171 The JareBear @ 06/20/15 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
I can't remember what Rex called it in the interview yesterday but he was talking about the thing they implemented where players would come diving in and some of those are definitely unnecessary roughness worthy. I've seen a couple where guys just come in like a missile diving at guys legs like they're Terrell Suggs.

Ah nice, I honestly haven't listened to all the interviews (been more obsessed with finding gameplay clips), so I will check that out.

I have definitely seen clips of guys diving in low at the end of gang tackles, so I can see something getting called there

# 172 charter04 @ 06/20/15 02:19 PM
So basically some want "sim" as long as it doesn't cost them a win or loss?

I mean I really don't want just random penalties but, if it's based on a players rating, play calling( pressing every play), and things I can control like offsides( if I'm trying to jump the snap every play) then it's seems like real life (sim) to me.

Besides every online league can just adjust the penalty sliders if they don't want sim penalties right?

And in a single player CFM a person can put them at 0 and enjoy all the arcade style action they desire.

They give us sim stuff and we complain. Boy oh boy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 173 Skyboxer @ 06/20/15 07:38 PM
Just like what was said last year...
The more people have to play football and it becomes less Madden.. the more complaints we will see popping up.

# 174 NDAlum @ 06/20/15 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Just like what was said least year...
The more people have to play football and it becomes less Madden.. the more complaints we will see popping up.

I really hope this isn't true. If people complain about ridiculous things I will be on the front line to constructively tell them what's up!

# 175 Skyboxer @ 06/20/15 08:02 PM
Compalints will happen (we know Sim gamers aren't the majority when it comes to Madden) but what I always worry about is EA listening to them and giving them some "love"..

There was a reason QB inaccuracy was not as evident at release as it was pre-release. I just hope it wasn't for the reason we are talking about.

# 176 Godgers12 @ 06/20/15 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
So basically some want "sim" as long as it doesn't cost them a win or loss?

I mean I really don't want just random penalties but, if it's based on a players rating, play calling( pressing every play), and things I can control like offsides( if I'm trying to jump the snap every play) then it's seems like real life (sim) to me.

Besides every online league can just adjust the penalty sliders if they don't want sim penalties right?

And in a single player CFM a person can put them at 0 and enjoy all the arcade style action they desire.

They give us sim stuff and we complain. Boy oh boy

I dont mind realistic penalties. Just the unnecessary roughness towards WR's it's a rediculous penalty IRL much less Madden

# 177 Hockeynut99 @ 06/21/15 01:26 AM
Now everyone will bitch about how there are too many penalties!

# 178 bigboyc @ 06/21/15 02:04 PM
Has anyone confirmed off-setting penalties?

# 179 ThatMichiganFan @ 06/21/15 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyc
Has anyone confirmed off-setting penalties?
It has been confirmed that there are NOT offsetting penalties. Clint said so in an interview.

# 180 pinero24 @ 07/13/15 02:08 PM
Madden hasnt blown me away in years and im seriously considering skipping this year unless somethin major happens

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.