Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post

Madden NFL 16 Creative Director, Kolbe Launchbaugh was interviewed by Shopmaster and revealed that a "Draft Board" was added to the game. While it isn't a true draft board that you can setup and walk away from, the steps to making it a full fledged draft board could be coming down the road.

For now, users can use the draft board, as a watch list, by flagging players during scouting, making it a little easier to filter at draft time. The team hopes to add the ability to walk away from the draft and have the CPU select the players you need based off of your team needs. While it seems unlikely that it happens this year, these steps are a good sign of things to come.

The video interview isn't solely focused on the draft board, as Kolbe talks about dynamic drive goals, confidence, community feedback and more. Watch it here.

Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 24 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Sheba2011 @ 06/18/15 04:47 AM
This is big news, goodbye pen and paper!

# 2 brza37 @ 06/18/15 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbkaeoz33
Shopmaster confirmed it with Kolbe.

It's called a "watch list" but you must be present for the draft still.

http://youtu.be/F30SyEs9SpQ
A "Watch List" is not a Draft Board. You can't rank the players in the watch list. That is the number 1 requirement of a Draft Board. Honestly, its ridiculous that Kolbe would even call it a draft board. And I'm surprised Shop didn't call him out on that. A watch list hardly adds anything to the equation. If I can't rank my draft prospects then I'm still gonna have to use pen & paper or excel. This "new addition" does nothing for me.

Thats like the college scout director or GM going into the draft and saying:
Scout: "We have narrowed our draft board down to 100 players."
Coach: "Great! Who will we take with the number one pick?"
Scout: "Oh, I don't know. I didn't rank them. But we only have to look through 100 prospects while we're on the clock instead of 400. Isn't that great?!"
Coach: "You're fired."

Also, the biggest advantage of a draft board would be to allow people in online CFMs who can't be there for the draft to be able to set up rankings and position preferences like in a fantasy football autodraft. Thats not possible yet either.

# 3 Trick13 @ 06/18/15 05:27 AM
It is a step, well a baby step, in the right direction. It isn't the fully fleshed out custom board we all want where user and CPU "re-ranking" of players impact "draft stock" and users with crappy work schedules could get some relief from being the odd man out of successful drafts.

I do applaud it, as I said it is a baby step in the right direction.

Scouting, on the other hand is going to be bleeping horrendous - I am aback to hating scouting again already, because frankly it is so darn time consuming and now I have to scout every week or lose the points/minutes or whatever - huge freaking step back, giant in fact.

To me, ideal solution is to get rid of "scouting points" and have scouting reports, where you just get sentences and you get varied reports from different scouts and very limited info of varying accuracy on development level - believe me when I tell you that every NFL team has detailed info on every single player, all the game tapes are reviewed, scouting agencies outside the teams are paid for their info, and no stone is left un-turned. The only limitation for NFL teams is the interview and workout numbers are restricted.

# 4 jpdavis82 @ 06/18/15 07:24 AM
This was something we fought for you guys to have this year, like Kolbe and Shop said there is more to come, just try to keep a realistic idea of what they could put in, in the amount of time left before the release and I think you guys will be happy. The thing you guys can take from this interview more than what is or isn't being added is that they're listening to your feedback. Trust me, you guys will like what's coming in the future for CFM. I can't answer any questions about the watch list because they added that very recently and it wasn't in when I played.

# 5 Gosens6 @ 06/18/15 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
This was something we fought for you guys to have this year, like Kolbe and Shop said there is more to come, just try to keep a realistic idea of what they could put in, in the amount of time left before the release and I think you guys will be happy. The thing you guys can take from this interview more than what is or isn't being added is that they're listening to your feedback. Trust me, you guys will like what's coming in the future for CFM. I can't answer any questions about the watch list because they added that very recently and it wasn't in when I played.
I'm inclined to agree with this. It may not be a true draft board, but at least it's something a month and a half before release. I fully expect to see a draft board in M17

# 6 Junior Moe @ 06/18/15 08:09 AM
Ok. This is a pretty cool thing to add this late in the process. It's more symbolic than anything. Kudos Madden!!

# 7 sir psycho @ 06/18/15 08:19 AM
It's nice to see that they are listening

# 8 bloobloouk @ 06/18/15 08:20 AM
It isn't what we want in an ideal world, but it certainly is a step in the right direction. I'll probably still have a notebook to assist me during drafts, but having a go to list during the draft is certainly going to help, especially in terms of tracking how many of my top rated players have already been picked.

What impresses me the most though is that this addition is being attributed to community feedback garnered over the last couple of weeks. Kolbe has said this was a last minute addition; the message that people want a draft board has got through! If the pressure is kept up we could get a fully fledged board next year.

Possibly next year isn't what people want to hear, but I'm just happy that it's a step in the right direction!

# 9 Aggies7 @ 06/18/15 08:28 AM
Weather it's a baby step or big step, it at least shows how they are putting in effort right up until release. That is very promising news.

# 10 patsfan1993 @ 06/18/15 08:52 AM
I am always very pessimistic about Madden and the progress made year to year, but the quick response to give the community something does give me some hope for the future of the franchise. While it's not what I wanted this year, it is a step in the right direction based on community feedback.

I'll take it and expect a full fledged draft board next year.

# 11 howboutdat @ 06/18/15 08:54 AM
Yes good too see they are working it in the right direction.Thats a good thing, however, now it really needs to be in madden 17 . You create a base for it this year, it best be in the next game. Draft boards are extremely important to Online franchise guys, for the mere fact it is practically impossible to find a draft time for 32 users , across different time zones , and even countries, to be able for everyone to make the draft.We have a dire need to be able to organize our own boards exactly how we want, and not just 10 -20 guys either. Please dont let them be short sighted on this. It needs to allow us about 40-50 slots to set. In a league with 32 users. even if you have 50 slots. you could easily have hardly no one left after round 3 maybe 4. 10-20 slots wont last you but 2 rounds probably.So , im glad they going in the direction of this, however, dont half azz it is all i ask. If making a draft board for us, make it at least 50 slots we can set.

# 12 howboutdat @ 06/18/15 11:59 AM
As well, really wish they would stop saying Draft boards are in madden 16. They are not, this is only a watch list. Its not organizable . Its a watch list. Continuing to call it Draft Board is the type of thing ,most players dont like about what EA does to advertise or promote its game.Just be honest about it.Its a watch list.

# 13 georgiafan @ 06/18/15 12:07 PM
This is a good last minute addition it's not perfect especially for the online people but its a good start and will be helpful for sure

# 14 jpdavis82 @ 06/18/15 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
As well, really wish they would stop saying Draft boards are in madden 16. They are not, this is only a watch list. Its not organizable . Its a watch list. Continuing to call it Draft Board is the type of thing ,most players dont like about what EA does to advertise or promote its game.Just be honest about it.Its a watch list.
It's also something that wasn't in the game and they put it in because of you guys and our feedback. It may not be what you want, but it's something they specifically worked on trying to get in to show they are making a real effort for the hardcore CFM fans. Like a previous poster said it's more symbolic than anything and a trend to keep your eye on for the future of CFM.

# 15 brandon27 @ 06/18/15 12:14 PM
Well, that's a nice late addition. Will be very very handy. Wish we could rank them. At least. Similar to how NCAA let you rank your recruits, even that would have helped. This is a great step though, and a nice move by EA so late in the process.

# 16 N51_rob @ 06/18/15 12:27 PM
I'd be vary careful if I were EA letting people call this a draft board. It's not in the sense of the CFM community is looking for. Which I would say the majority fall into some sort of "hard-core" category.

Its a ranking board or a wishlist board.

# 17 NDAlum @ 06/18/15 12:28 PM
Doesn't really do anything for me...because it's just not what you need for online CFM.

If it's the put it down walk away type that it one day could be...then I'll post a bunch of happy .gif's

# 18 jpdavis82 @ 06/18/15 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
Doesn't really do anything for me...because it's just not what you need for online CFM.

If it's the put it down walk away type that it one day could be...then I'll post a bunch of happy .gif's
Trust me it's important this year because with the new scouting you would have to cycle through tons of prospects, any time you've unlocked one attribute for a prospect, this way only the guys you put on your watch list will be listed come draft time.

# 19 DeuceDouglas @ 06/18/15 12:44 PM
Just getting around to watching this now.

Shop referred to the idea that a lot of people were unhappy with scouting because it was too easy but I don't know if that's really what I was so unhappy with when it came to that. Obviously the true value is a big thing but I think my biggest issue was the lack of being able to get a decent portrait of a player. Three attributes isn't a lot and it seemed like there is too much that you will basically have to try and deduct from the first three attributes that I think you'd normally have a pretty good idea of when it comes to scouting.

The goal stuff is just never going to do much for me. I got lost in there for a minute.

The draft board/watch list is nice. Doing a 32-team CFM it could be helpful as well so I'm interested in that. He mentioned that it was everything except having the AI to draft strictly based on it. The one thing I hope for is that they'll allow you to add players to the board/list in a particular order so that, in theory, you could rank your prospects by choosing what order you put them on the board. I must say I'm surprised there is such interest in having the ability to scout and having the CPU draft for you based on that.

# 20 NDAlum @ 06/18/15 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Trust me it's important this year because with the new scouting you would have to cycle through tons of prospects, any time you've unlocked one attribute for a prospect, this way only the guys you put on your watch list will be listed come draft time.
No it's not important. We can pause a draft to give a person a few more moments to pick somebody. What's important is allowing people who have life matters to tend to and have to miss the draft an opportunity to have a preset draft board so they can target guys they really want.

« Previous12345Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.