Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post

Madden NFL 16 Creative Director, Kolbe Launchbaugh was interviewed by Shopmaster and revealed that a "Draft Board" was added to the game. While it isn't a true draft board that you can setup and walk away from, the steps to making it a full fledged draft board could be coming down the road.

For now, users can use the draft board, as a watch list, by flagging players during scouting, making it a little easier to filter at draft time. The team hopes to add the ability to walk away from the draft and have the CPU select the players you need based off of your team needs. While it seems unlikely that it happens this year, these steps are a good sign of things to come.

The video interview isn't solely focused on the draft board, as Kolbe talks about dynamic drive goals, confidence, community feedback and more. Watch it here.

Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 24 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 howboutdat @ 06/20/15 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Didn't Kolbe say they lowered the amount of scouting points recently. The thing I love is that you lose points for not scouting. Also scouting doesn't start til week 3, so that makes it harder too.
i dont believe he said they already have, but said they still have time to tune that.So i believe it will get lowered some, but we will have to see how much . Still would like the ability to scout what i personally like in my players, not what im force feed to look at and nothing else. Everyone likes different styles of players. Kind of the point of building your own team really. Just taking away our control of what we can and cant scout , not a good look to me personally.

# 62 jpdavis82 @ 06/20/15 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
i dont believe he said they already have, but said they still have time to tune that.So i believe it will get lowered some, but we will have to see how much . Still would like the ability to scout what i personally like in my players, not what im force feed to look at and nothing else. Everyone likes different styles of players. Kind of the point of building your own team really. Just taking away our control of what we can and cant scout , not a good look to me personally.
Yeah I'd like to be able to choose which 3 attributes I get to see.

# 63 howboutdat @ 06/20/15 08:59 AM
Quote:
Just allowing that , would make me feel alittle better about the situation, as it would then start to create alittle more chance of players falling thru.The forcing of everyone to see same 3, just is limiting that chance too much i feel .

# 64 Skyboxer @ 06/20/15 09:04 AM
Quote:
Scouting etc.. in real life , for the most part, is a crap shoot....

So make it fun and have a dice roll that unlocks 4 random attributes.
Lots better than everyone seeing the same 3.

# 65 howboutdat @ 06/20/15 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer

totally agree.That would be a ton better than forced 3 best attributes.More randomness it gives, the more fun it makes the draft, as it gives more opportunity for finding gems later on , like in real life.

# 66 jpdavis82 @ 06/20/15 10:02 AM
Quote:

It would have to be limited to a certain set based on the position. Otherwise, what if the 3 you got for a QB were agility, jumping, and toughness or something like that?

# 67 patsfan1993 @ 06/20/15 11:03 AM
They should tie the revealed attributes that can be revealed based to your scheme and preferred player type. Two for scheme specific skill and two different attributes for player type.

A west coast scheme with the a mobile QB gets different attributes revealed than a vertical scheme with a strong arm.

If I can't choose the attributes to reveal this would be my preferred scouting method. Tie things together so they matter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

# 68 Skyboxer @ 06/20/15 07:45 PM
Quote:
It would have to be limited to a certain set based on the position. Otherwise, what if the 3 you got for a QB were agility, jumping, and toughness or something like that?
Then so be it... I'm one that can live with the bad as well as the good luck.....
So I'd know I have a tough QB that can move a bit.
Do I chance him early or not?
Can just pretend (everything we are doing is in a fantasy world anyways) he sat out last year of College due to injury.

I do agree that certain attributes should not happen based on position. Basically any attribute that does not have an impact on the players position, should be eliminated from a possible reveal. (Spin move for a C..)

Basically saying I'm fine with it being totally random regardless of what info it gives me.

Might be my age etc... but I really think we've gotten to the point where everything is turned way over complicated and over thought in more ways than 1.

# 69 cowboy_kmoney @ 06/21/15 07:07 AM
Well we only know what we hear and read into. So ima wait like we all have to til the game drops and we all will have our impressions of this new way of scouting. This way based on what its doing to the game we can put it in the Impressions thread and sent to EA and hopes if them making how we want it..

# 70 Sheba2011 @ 06/21/15 01:23 PM
Quote:
Then so be it... I'm one that can live with the bad as well as the good luck.....
So I'd know I have a tough QB that can move a bit.
Do I chance him early or not?
Can just pretend (everything we are doing is in a fantasy world anyways) he sat out last year of College due to injury.

I do agree that certain attributes should not happen based on position. Basically any attribute that does not have an impact on the players position, should be eliminated from a possible reveal. (Spin move for a C..)

Basically saying I'm fine with it being totally random regardless of what info it gives me.

Might be my age etc... but I really think we've gotten to the point where everything is turned way over complicated and over thought in more ways than 1.
Personally I wish this whole scouting attributes would completely disappear and instead we would get a chance to buy scouting reports, the more points you spend on one the more information it contains. But it would use sentences like "great hands, slow off the line, plays quicker than his speed". Nothing that would be revealing to what his real ratings are but enough that you get a general idea for what the player could be and have to decide if he is worth the pick in that round. But have a system where it's not always accurate. Maybe even include a system like NHL or NBA 2K uses where you can play some games with them before the draft like the Senior Bowl and actual combine events or workouts. This would create so much realism and give you a real risk/reward system for drafting.

# 71 2_headedmonster @ 06/21/15 02:10 PM
Ok. Out of the box it will simply be a list. Not ideal but its framework. By the second patch would it be possible to have it fleshed out to numbering and automated picking if available.

# 72 jpdavis82 @ 06/21/15 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
Ok. Out of the box it will simply be a list. Not ideal but its framework. By the second patch would it be possible to have it fleshed out to numbering and automated picking if available.
I don't know if that's something they could just patch, I think it takes quite a bit of work to build that logic for it and most importantly, get it functioning well CONSISTENTLY.

# 73 N51_rob @ 06/21/15 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
I think this line of thought will set you up for disapointment. First, they will inevitably have to patch game play issues and then see if that patch really screws things up or if there is something that they have to keep working on past patch 1 to fix. Secondly, a fully functional draft board would be a MAJOR CFM feature. Why waste the excitement and impact of that on a patch? That kind of feature is something you announce for Madden 17 not as a patch for Madden 16.

# 74 2_headedmonster @ 06/22/15 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
I think this line of thought will set you up for disapointment. First, they will inevitably have to patch game play issues and then see if that patch really screws things up or if there is something that they have to keep working on past patch 1 to fix. Secondly, a fully functional draft board would be a MAJOR CFM feature. Why waste the excitement and impact of that on a patch? That kind of feature is something you announce for Madden 17 not as a patch for Madden 16.
i get that line of thinking but i honestly dont think its a major feature. I feel like its something that should have been implemented with CFM in the first place so theres no reason we should have to wait for the next edition so it can be a back of box feature. Also, i dont make games, but it really doesn't seem like a difficult feature to implement. Considering the framework is being laid in June and the second patch is probably going to be october-ish, thats about four months to get it right which doesn't seem lofty...but what do i know.

# 75 brza37 @ 06/22/15 09:09 AM
Quote:

I don't like the top 3 attributes deal but I personally dislike this idea even more. But that doesn't make my opinion right and yours wrong. It is just further proof that EA should stop trying to find systems that we will all like and just give us options and customization.

If they give us the option then the commissioner in an online or offline CFM can set things the way they or its league members prefer.
If the customer likes this new idea where only the top 3 attributes and true value are shown, great then he can use it. If he'd like more chance then let him choose to have the attributes shown chosen at random. If they liked the way it was last year where the user could choose which attributes are important to him then let that be an option too. If they want all attribute letter grades revealed to them with a margin of error based on the scouting department they chose then let that be an option too. Basically, for those 4 options you only need 2 different UIs: one that was in the game last year and the new one for Madden 16. This may also require a different number of SP (which I think should also be adjustable via slider).
I don't know what Madden's code is like and how one aspect affects another but from a standard programming logic and design aspect if scouting doesn't impact any AI draft decisions offering a user 2 different UIs with 4 total options and adjustable SP shouldn't be that difficult to do for Madden 17 or beyond. But again I have no clue. Even if it is difficult it may be worthwhile to pursue because one thing we do know is that there is not one system that will please everyone. So give us choices.

Honestly, I think last year's scouting was great. There were no cheat sheets. And I could scout players for exactly the attributes I was interested in. Doing that I could easily compare players with one another because I scouted the same attributes for them. And that mirrors what we see in the NFL. Some teams focus on Athleticism and SPARQ metrics like the Seahawks. Some focus on Character and Size like Chip Kelly. The Bengals focus more on Production and will take players like Burfict who scared off others because of his limited athleticism and off-field concerns. Some want OLBs that can pass rush while others want guys that can cover. It was a good system that paid off if you did your homework and because some philosophies and schemes varied it was possible to find gems in later rounds or pick a bust early.

A couple seasons ago in my online CFM I found a prospect I was sure was gonna be the next LT. He had B SPD, A STR, A PMV, A BSH but was projected in the 3rd round. I thought I had no chance to get him. When he started to fall into range I got excited at the chance to get him and traded up a few spots. In my opinion he was better than all the OLB prospects ranked ahead of him. Once the draft was over it turned out all of those ratings were on the low end of the scale and he was too slow for my scheme and his other skills also needed more work than I expected except for STR. I was upset but thats the type of realism that made scouting and drafting so good in my opinion last year. I felt that despite the fact that I drafted a bust it was to some extent my own fault because I chose to focus on those attributes and that he played slower than he timed. On the flip side I found a fourth round stud in another draft because I identified high ratings in attributes that mattered to me but apparently not everyone else. That was really rewarding. I feel that sense of personal failure or accomplishment will be missing this year because we can't choose what to focus on and directly compare players.

But again thats just my opinion. And everyone and every league will have their own opinion so why not just let the customer choose how they want to scout?

# 76 Sheba2011 @ 06/22/15 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brza37
I don't like the top 3 attributes deal but I personally dislike this idea even more. But that doesn't make my opinion right and yours wrong. It is just further proof that EA should stop trying to find systems that we will all like and just give us options and customization.
This entire thread is proof why that wouldn't work either. There are a hundred different ideas here of what those options should be and how they should be implemented. No matter what EA does there will be people here and on other sites saying they got it all wrong and need to change it.

# 77 howboutdat @ 06/22/15 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brza37

If they give us the option then the commissioner in an online or offline CFM can set things the way they or its league members prefer.
If the customer likes this new idea where only the top 3 attributes and true value are shown, great then he can use it. If he'd like more chance then let him choose to have the attributes shown chosen at random. If they liked the way it was last year where the user could choose which attributes are important to him then let that be an option too. If they want all attribute letter grades revealed to them with a margin of error based on the scouting department they chose then let that be an option too. Basically, for those 4 options you only need 2 different UIs: one that was in the game last year and the new one for Madden 16. This may also require a different number of SP (which I think should also be adjustable via slider).
I don't know what Madden's code is like and how one aspect affects another but from a standard programming logic and design aspect if scouting doesn't impact any AI draft decisions offering a user 2 different UIs with 4 total options and adjustable SP shouldn't be that difficult to do for Madden 17 or beyond. But again I have no clue. Even if it is difficult it may be worthwhile to pursue because one thing we do know is that there is not one system that will please everyone. So give us choices.

Honestly, I think last year's scouting was great. There were no cheat sheets. And I could scout players for exactly the attributes I was interested in. Doing that I could easily compare players with one another because I scouted the same attributes for them. And that mirrors what we see in the NFL. Some teams focus on Athleticism and SPARQ metrics like the Seahawks. Some focus on Character and Size like Chip Kelly. The Bengals focus more on Production and will take players like Burfict who scared off others because of his limited athleticism and off-field concerns. Some want OLBs that can pass rush while others want guys that can cover. It was a good system that paid off if you did your homework and because some philosophies and schemes varied it was possible to find gems in later rounds or pick a bust early.

A couple seasons ago in my online CFM I found a prospect I was sure was gonna be the next LT. He had B SPD, A STR, A PMV, A BSH but was projected in the 3rd round. I thought I had no chance to get him. When he started to fall into range I got excited at the chance to get him and traded up a few spots. In my opinion he was better than all the OLB prospects ranked ahead of him. Once the draft was over it turned out all of those ratings were on the low end of the scale and he was too slow for my scheme and his other skills also needed more work than I expected except for STR. I was upset but thats the type of realism that made scouting and drafting so good in my opinion last year. I felt that despite the fact that I drafted a bust it was to some extent my own fault because I chose to focus on those attributes and that he played slower than he timed. On the flip side I found a fourth round stud in another draft because I identified high ratings in attributes that mattered to me but apparently not everyone else. That was really rewarding. I feel that sense of personal failure or accomplishment will be missing this year because we can't choose what to focus on and directly compare players.

But again thats just my opinion. And everyone and every league will have their own opinion so why not just let the customer choose how they want to scout?

Bravo sir Why is giving us options such a hard thing for EA. They already had the coding for how it was last year. You cant make it so , if we pick in options to do it madden 15 style, we can , or if you pick to do madden 16 style we get this years? They really need to give commish's more options of what our leagues like and dislike to use.However i know that will never ever happen for some odd reason.

# 78 Sheba2011 @ 06/23/15 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
Oh please, options are always good. Most team sports video games have options. Even Madden has some options. Options are always better than a linear sports video game.
Options are excellent but which options are we talking about? The ones you want, the ones I want, the ones someone else wants? We all have different ideas of what those options are and depending on who they listen to there will still be a segment of gamers that feel left out.

# 79 jpdavis82 @ 06/23/15 08:55 AM
How many players would you guys like to see as a minimum for the watch list?

# 80 Sheba2011 @ 06/23/15 10:02 AM
Quote:
How many players would you guys like to see as a minimum for the watch list?
For me the minimum would be 35, I usually have about 5 guys per pick that I plan out and base on a normal 7 round draft.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.