Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post

Legacy issues have plagued the Madden series for more than half a decade. After several hours of play against both another player and the CPU, I can happily say that most of those issues have either been taken care of or toned down a significant amount. It is clear that Tiburon is going out of its way to address things that were taking away from simulation football, and its not so much the things that were added to Madden 16 that make the game exciting, but rather what it took away.

Read More - Madden NFL 16: E3 Hands-On Preview

Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 24 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 jpdavis82 @ 06/18/15 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
Nice summary review.

JP - you gotta get the devs attention on players running out of bounds. This one is a brutal gameplay flaw.

C
Hmm I wonder if the build I played was newer because that's one thing I noticed right away, that they didn't run out of bounds and fought to stay in bounds along the sidelines.

# 2 DeuceDouglas @ 06/18/15 02:03 PM
Nice points. A lot of what's in there I've been able to take away from the videos but there were a couple things that piqued my interest. I find it funny when things like "it finally has a 'next-gen' feel to it" when it looks so similar to last years. I'll be interested to see how OP the user catches really are when you crank it up to All-Madden. I like the fact that there are a lot more incompletions on deflected passes and strips. Last year seemed like all the incompletions I could get were on terribly thrown balls or straight up drops.

# 3 The JareBear @ 06/18/15 02:05 PM
Quote:
One concern that the community has that can be confirmed: ridiculous catches are far too frequent, especially for the user.
I am hoping this was just a case of an early build and EA wanting to show off the new animations at E3...

# 4 jpdavis82 @ 06/18/15 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
Nice points. A lot of what's in there I've been able to take away from the videos but there were a couple things that piqued my interest. I find it funny when things like "it finally has a 'next-gen' feel to it" when it looks so similar to last years. I'll be interested to see how OP the user catches really are when you crank it up to All-Madden. I like the fact that there are a lot more incompletions on deflected passes and strips. Last year seemed like all the incompletions I could get were on terribly thrown balls or straight up drops.
To me the lighting for night and indoor games is what really makes this game shine and all the new animations. The new scans are a big improvement too and most of those people haven't really seen yet, especially for night games.

# 5 SwaggerCoach @ 06/18/15 02:08 PM
More verification that the game is more difficult?

Yes please. Color me excited.

I can't wait to go up against the CPU now...if they have addressed the CPU's inability to avoid pressure/running directly into their own RT, I'm happy.

# 6 DeuceDouglas @ 06/18/15 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
To me the lighting for night and indoor games is what really makes this game shine and all the new animations. The new scans are a big improvement too and most of those people haven't really seen yet, especially for night games.
Yeah. Scans are definitely one of the biggest things for me. I remember last year when they had the likeness update and guys like DeAnthony Thomas were in the game all of sudden and to me it adds so much. Having as many guys as possible will only add to that.

# 7 sir psycho @ 06/18/15 02:18 PM
Quote:
Running in general is tougher and seems to be strongly correlated with how good your offensive line is.
Oh, I like that. I didn't play Madden the past 2 years so I don't know if it was the case in those years...but I remember in the past o-line ratings not mattering too much. I really like that there will be a need to have a good o-line.

There were some concerning things in there, but I'm still feeling fairly optimistic.

# 8 The JareBear @ 06/18/15 02:24 PM
I am also curious to find out if it is only overpowered if you user it. I don't think we've seen a no-switch video yet

# 9 Datninja619 @ 06/18/15 02:26 PM
Quote:

Formerly over-powered formations like shotgun running have also been nerfed. Running in general is tougher and seems to be strongly correlated with how good your offensive line is.

Defensive players hit gaps in the line with authority, but there's definitely still some issues with the way that they track the ball-carrier.
Hopefully this means counters and strong powers won't be instant money every play when playing H2H. Only way to defend these were to practically create a defense on the fly. If D players truly hit the gaps, then counter's and pistol strong powers may be less effective back to back.

# 10 asu666 @ 06/18/15 02:27 PM
Including penalties is a major improvement.

# 11 Blitzburgh @ 06/18/15 02:48 PM
Nice read... can you tell me if the challenge system has been updated? Also, running back kick offs last year for me was really hard so hearing that its easier is a good thing for me. How did you find it to be in 15? Oh, one more thing...has the kicking mechanic changed at all? I really like how the kicking is in 2k8. Maddens is more a waste of time with no challenge. Thank you sir.

# 12 oneamongthefence @ 06/18/15 02:49 PM
Good to hear that difficulty is harder. Hopefully All Pro can lead to competitive games. All Madden was just too frustrating so fingers crossed All Pro is a good middle ground now.

# 13 l8knight1 @ 06/18/15 03:30 PM
Not thrilled with 'nerfed' user control of running. Running was great, why mess with it?

# 14 tripleh1142 @ 06/18/15 03:45 PM
In my time playing against a competitive online player, the player expressed frustration with former "cheese plays" not working quite as well.

The above line was one of the most important to me. The less cheese the better.

# 15 JKSportsGamer1984 @ 06/18/15 03:53 PM
No mention of the cleaner more improved physics or gang tackling? This is arguably the biggest improvement in the game. Out of all the vids I've seen, I have yet to notice any morphing/player clipping (limbs fusing together, players walking right through other players lying on the ground after plays, etc...) This is a HUGE plus for me! Really makes the game look more polished. EA really paid attention to detail this year (minus the equipment upgrades & sideline characters). I'm impressed!

# 16 RogueHominid @ 06/18/15 03:57 PM
A major concern for me will be whether the CPU QB is capable of throwing more realistic games at or near default.

Last year's game had lots of problems in this regard, with 85% completions being very easy to achieve unless one lowered QBA to a level below 5.

I was a bit concerned to hear Rex talk about how precise pocket passers could be at E3 and how they could carve you apart. That has not been a problem, but the opposite has.

If I have to do slider magic to produce realistic sack and completion numbers, this will be a no-purchase.

# 17 LorenzoDC @ 06/18/15 03:57 PM
It's good to hear the targeting of legacy issues, and let's hope the gameplay arrives and stands up to real play time. This is the season for peak encouragement, but it has to be proven by hands on experience by sim players. Let's hope this year delivers on results more consistently than past years have.

I'm still not going to buy, because I've learned to be very suspicious of Madden claims prior to release. Also, even if the game play is much improved - and CPU AI has been a big, if not the biggest, thing for me as an offline sim player - I can't get ongoing enjoyment from the game worth $60 if the franchise CCM mode is done badly.

Since it doesn't sound like CCM is going to create an improved offline sim "fantasy" type experience, with no customization and expanded player based XP mini-game dynamics, even great gameplay would not get me to buy. I just wouldn't get my money value from what amounts to a series of offline play now games.

Still, this is the season for Madden optimism, so if game play is getting meaningfully improved, especially at the AI level, I'm all for it. It makes it possible for me not to write off the series completely, with an eye toward the unknown future.

# 18 KOYO78 @ 06/18/15 04:05 PM
If EA devs continue on this path of refining what has been set from M15 through the years l believe we wi hv a goo product in the future. Liking the improvements anything that makes ppl play real FB I'm for

# 19 OhMrHanky @ 06/18/15 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSportsGamer1984
No mention of the cleaner more improved physics or gang tackling? This is arguably the biggest improvement in the game. Out of all the vids I've seen, I have yet to notice any morphing/player clipping (limbs fusing together, players walking right through other players lying on the ground after plays, etc...) This is a HUGE plus for me! Really makes the game look more polished. EA really paid attention to detail this year (minus the equipment upgrades & sideline characters). I'm impressed!
absolutely. this was one of the 1st things i noticed as well. and, if this is alpha version, and that's clean, i am amazed. These have been glaring issues for years. not only does this make it look more polished, this has to improve gameplay, i would think. I have always felt that madden's programming approach has been off (not that i know exactly what they were trying to do, but i base this off of years of playing the game. lol) in that it always feels like they are trying to calculate outcomes within the game, and then that determines the physics. When, it should be the other way around, meaning u need to create the physics in the game, first. create the football "universe" with gravity, momentum, etc, and THEN the players ratings will dictate the outcome based on their personal "physics", and of course, some calculated outcomes are probably inevitable. But, create the physics, FIRST, then proceed with the football. This game looks like they are close to that approach, anyways.

# 20 JKSportsGamer1984 @ 06/18/15 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOYO78
If EA devs continue on this path of refining what has been set from M15 through the years l believe we wi hv a goo product in the future. Liking the improvements anything that makes ppl play real FB I'm for
We're getting a good product this year lol. The future is here! Is it at the level we want it to be yet? No & even the devs admit that but they're getting close. I wouldn't of said that 2 years ago.

I get your point though

« Previous123456Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.