Home
NHL 16 News Post

Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane were just announced as the NHL 16 cover athletes, during the 2015 NHL Awards show. For the first time in the history of the franchise, two teammates will share the cover, along with the Stanley Cup trophy.

Patrick Kane was the cover athlete for NHL 10, while Jonathan Toews was the NHL 11 cover athlete.

Read the full press release below.

EA Sports NHL 16 Reveals 2015 Stanley Cup Champions Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane as Cover Athletes

Chicago Blackhawks Captain and Right Winger Team Up to Share the Cover Spotlight for the First Time in Franchise History

Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:EA), the National Hockey League (NHL®) and the National Hockey League Players’ Association (NHLPA) announced today during the 2015 NHL Awards™ that three-time Stanley Cup® Champions Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane from the Chicago Blackhawks® will both appear on the cover of EA SPORTS™ NHL® 16. This marks the first time in franchise history that the cover has featured two teammates as well as the Stanley Cup trophy. Kane and Toews are also the only athletes to appear on an EA SPORTS™ NHL cover twice. The duo spotlight embodies the spirit of NHL 16, where you’ll play together and win together.

“I’m honored to not only share the Stanley Cup Championship with Patrick, but to share the EA SPORTS NHL 16 cover with him too,” said Toews. “Our team’s passion and dedication have made this all possible – and I’m sure fans will be fired up about it.”

“Being teamed up with Jonathan for the NHL 16 cover is a great feeling,” said Kane. “I never would have imagined being on the cover twice, and the fact this is happening on top of our team taking home the Cup is unreal.”

“Congratulations to both players; they are a perfect fit for this honor,” said Dave McCarthy, NHL Vice President of Consumer Products Marketing. "What the Chicago Blackhawks have been able to accomplish in the last six years has been nothing short of remarkable and I’m excited that this year’s NHL 16 cover will reflect the spirit of teamwork.”

"We would like to congratulate Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane on this well-deserved honor of being chosen as the duo cover athletes,” said Adam Larry, NHLPA Director of Licensing and Associate Counsel. “Hockey fans show great passion and interest in the EA SPORTS video game franchise each year, and they will be pleased to see these two outstanding teammates grace the cover of NHL 16.”

Built with more fan feedback and insights than ever before, NHL 16 delivers your most requested features and modes along with new experiences that make NHL 16 bigger and better. With new levels of depth across single player and team modes, combined with improved gameplay balance and innovation as well as new tools to help you play at your highest level, NHL 16 lets you play together and win together.

NHL 16 hits store shelves on September 15, 2015 in North America and September 17, 2015 in Europe for Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, and PlayStation®4. EA SPORTS™ NHL® Legacy Edition brings together the most popular modes and award-winning gameplay features from nine years of NHL hockey and will be available for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system, and the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.

Game: NHL 16Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
NHL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Caniac94 @ 06/24/15 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I'm not sure you really understand how marketing works.

If the cover is what's going to sell the game to some, it's going to sell a lot more to Blackhawks fans who would have never bought it before rather than Islanders fans who might have been on the fence.
Maybe if you're buying the game solely based on who is on the cover. If they wanted to go with the Blackhawks they could have at least put a different player on there, like Duncan Keith.

# 22 kehlis @ 06/24/15 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac94
Maybe if you're buying the game solely based on who is on the cover. If they wanted to go with the Blackhawks they could have at least put a different player on there, like Duncan Keith.
Wasn't your post based on the fact that EA messed up on the cover because they missed out on an audience who would buy solely because of the cover?

You that's the point of any cover in any game right?

# 23 Caniac94 @ 06/24/15 11:40 PM
Quote:
Wasn't your post based on the fact that EA messed up on the cover because they missed out on an audience who would buy solely because of the cover?

You that's the point of any cover in any game right?
No, I just thought Tavares was a more deserving player is all and would like to see a new face/team represented on the cover, as has seemed to be the trend, regardless of marketing. But hey I'm not basing by decision on whether or not to buy solely based on the cover.

# 24 AdamJones113 @ 06/24/15 11:59 PM
The worrying thing for me about the cover (besides the fact that it doesn't look great) is that it clearly was decided very recently. Obviously this wasn't decided until after the Cup (while it may have been mocked-up prior and was selected among many); the decision making is a little questionable in my opinion.

# 25 Vic Viper @ 06/25/15 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13SM13
So 3 of the last 6 years we have either Kane, Toews or now BOTH...

Not a fan of the repetition
Dynasty with the NHL and game covers....Hahaha. I love it. 3 in 6 years for both.

# 26 bigdipper88 @ 06/25/15 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13whitebread
Just when I think the EA Sports team cannot get any dumber. I can't see how the Chicago Blackhawks are on the cover of NHL 10,11 and now 16. Absolutley the most stupid decision I have seen for a cover of a major sport video game. Now I can see why they Have such a low budget it has to be rammer and
gary buttman approved duhh.
Peyton Hillis would disagree

# 27 Hockeynut99 @ 06/25/15 01:03 AM
Kinda a cute couple.

# 28 1NE @ 06/25/15 01:31 AM
I actually kind of like the idea. Not so much the picture. (if that even is the actual cover they will be using) Both are great players who are two of the top faces of the league right now. I've never understood why people get so worked up about who is on the cover anyway.

# 29 voodoo_magic @ 06/25/15 01:48 AM
I actually thought they might do a cover with Toews, Kane and Keith.

Having these guys may be boring for us sim/hardcore players but makes tons of sense to market the game to the casual player.
It's why you don't have some 4th line grinder rep the game your trying to sell.

# 30 bwiggy33 @ 06/25/15 02:33 AM
I honestly can't believe some of the hatred on here over a damn cover. There's a reason they chose these 2 guys. Some people may not like it but they are the faces of the NHL right now. I know many younger kids right now who are pretending to be Toews and Kane instead of the other stars in the NHL. If this is the case in many other places guess what? This could lead to more copies being sold because that kid is going to go to his/her parents and say I want that game because those 2 are on the cover. I see so many people (kids and young adults) in just MN, walking around with Toews or Kane jersey shirts or for that matter the real jersey. It's annoying but that's what these 2 have done. The NHL doesn't care that the much bigger hockey fans wanted somebody different, or a different team represented on the cover. Hell look at the product they deliver. It's made so that the average person can play the game and have fun. The cover is treated with the same type of mentality. They already know hardcore hockey fans will buy the game if they enjoy the sport that much. It doesn't take a cover to drive a hardcore fan away.

Toews and Kane have done something that I can't recall any other Superstars doing in my lifetime (I'm only 25 though). They have drawn the younger adult/college student to the game. When you hear the stories and see the pictures of Kane partying at Mifflin (I have many friends who were there during this), those people go hell ya he's just like us, other than punching taxi drivers. Same with Toews going to North Dakota and doing his thing. People latched onto these 2 because they act like normal younger adult aged people who have made their mistakes along the way. If I was in marketing, I would be using Toews and Kane for damn near everything that relates to younger adults and kids.

Sorry for the rant in the last paragraph but as much as I'm sick of the Hawks beating the Wild, I absolutely love what Toews and Kane have done for the NHL. They've started a whole new fan base regardless of whether they are bandwagoners or not. It's actually refreshing to see so many newer types of people enjoying the game. It's not 100% comparable, but I do compare it to what Rory, Ricky, and Spieth have done for Golf. It's brought in many younger people to the sport. I honestly think Toews and Kane on the cover could actually lead to more sales.

# 31 AdamJones113 @ 06/25/15 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJones113
The worrying thing for me about the cover (besides the fact that it doesn't look great) is that it clearly was decided very recently. Obviously this wasn't decided until after the Cup (while it may have been mocked-up prior and was selected among many); the decision making is a little questionable in my opinion.
Let me amend this statement. I did a little research and it turns out EA had guys at the Cup to photograph two winners, a plan that would have been conceived of In advance. If Tampa had won, it would have been Stamkos and Johnson instead. They wanted to have the cup on the cover (though this means they need a new celebration, haha).

# 32 Syzchmenev @ 06/25/15 04:01 AM
Terrible cover.. Hockey players with hats..

# 33 jboe235 @ 06/25/15 07:36 AM
Quote:
Let me amend this statement. I did a little research and it turns out EA had guys at the Cup to photograph two winners, a plan that would have been conceived of In advance. If Tampa had won, it would have been Stamkos and Johnson instead. They wanted to have the cup on the cover (though this means they need a new celebration, haha).
My second thought after the quality of the picture was if EA has the audacity to feature the cup on the cover, I sure hope that they improve the subpar Stanely Cup celebration.

# 34 Vermin @ 06/25/15 08:33 AM
For a league that is all about parity these days, you'd think they would spread out the cover athletes a little more. Feels like somebody over there is a 'Hawks fan. From a neutral standpoint, it would be a nice nod to throw something to an up-and-coming team like the Islanders, Predators, Wild, etc.

From a totally biased perspective, the Red Wings have had a good run of success since they were last on the box, Yzerman's back-seat to Cup winner Scott Stevens (4 cups, 24th consecutive playoff appearance this year) and nothing.

# 35 nddurst @ 06/25/15 09:09 AM
Quote:
Agree totally. If the Cup is on the cover, it should be featured prominently in the game. I'm still holding out hope for some sort of "skate with the Cup" feature at some point in this series, although I know it won't be in '16.

As for the players on the cover, I really don't care. Just give us a good game inside the package.

# 36 King_B_Mack @ 06/25/15 10:22 AM
Chelsea Dagger, Toews and Kane on the cover, Stanley Cup champions.....the United Center HAS to make it back in the game this year right? I think the last time it was actually in the game was the last time Toews was on the cover for '11

Wouldn't be a good look to have that horrid Hawks home ice in the game with all this stuff EA.

Quote:
I'm not sure you really understand how marketing works.

If the cover is what's going to sell the game to some, it's going to sell a lot more to Blackhawks fans who would have never bought it before rather than Islanders fans who might have been on the fence.
No doubt on this man. 2 million people turned out for the Blackhawks parade and rally last week. Blackhawks stuff is flying off the shelves in every store in the city. Are 2 million of those fans going to buy NHL 16 now? Probably not all of them, Chicago is on fire for Hawks stuff right now though. It wouldn't surprise me to see a bump in units sold for this series as the odds of people browsing the game stores or their PSNs and Lives for games that have an interest old or new (because of the Hawks) in hockey might give this series a spin. My initial interest in hockey came from playing NHL '94 back in the day.

# 37 no1xdraftpck @ 06/25/15 10:43 AM
Any team that has won the cup 3 out of 6 years is going to catch EA's attention. This new "teamwork is everything" slogan goes perfectly with the success Toews and Kane have experienced with each other and the Blackhawks as a whole. It is a bit strange that they would select repeat cover athletes, but I honestly believe they care more about new users than they do about their experienced core players.

Their target audience probably has no idea A) how to pronounce Toews' name correctly, B) Kane and Toews have previously been on the cover before and C) who won the cup in 2013.

# 38 sir psycho @ 06/25/15 11:26 AM
It's surprising...it's weird...but I really couldn't care less. I never understood why people get so upset/excited over who's on the cover. Personally, I would have put Tavares on the cover if it was my call, but whatever.

# 39 Kolbe31 @ 06/25/15 11:37 AM
This was clearly their plan from the beginning, with no cover vote. Promoting team play, what greater team accomplishment than to win the Stanley Cup. Unfortunately for EA, planning to use the Stanley Cup champs as the cover didn't work out too great, as everyone has mentioned, Toews and Kane were on recent covers. I'd suspect EA was probably pulling for any of the other 3 teams in the final four to avoid this repetition.

I don't mind the idea, kinda like it actually. What I don't like, is the picture they chose. Just looks weird. They probably could've avoided a lot of criticism if they picked different Blackhawk players as well.

At the end of the day, it's just a picture. I see it once when I buy the game, and then basically never again.

# 40 emericaridr11 @ 06/25/15 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13SM13
So 3 of the last 6 years we have either Kane, Toews or now BOTH...

Not a fan of the repetition
and thats how I feel about the Stanley Cup as well.... so LAME

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.