Home
Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR News Post

Check out the new Rory McIlroy PGA Tour gameplay video, utilizing the new "Quick Rounds" feature.

The gameplay coverage begins during the second round of the Arnold Palmer Invitational at the Bayhill Club & Lounge in Orlando, Florida. After watching the video, make sure you post your thoughts!

EA Access subscribers can start playing on July 9 for 10 hours. The game ships on July 14th for Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

UPDATE: EA Sports has posted a new Rory McIlroy PGA Tour blog detailing the Quick Rounds feature, crowd and tournament structures, Golf Channel integration, BOSE Big Hit moments, Heartbeat moments, camera angles and broadcast presentation.

Quote:
New to this year’s game is the Quick Rounds feature, which provides a selection of holes to play each round of a tournament, rather than requiring players to complete all 18 holes each day. You’ll enter each day of the tournament at a different point in the round, with simulated holes based on your player’s ratings and attribute bonuses.

Once you’ve played your selection of holes, the remainder of the round (if you don’t finish on 18) will also be simulated. Players will always complete the final holes on the last day of a tournament, so the ultimate outcome is always up to you.

Game: Rory McIlroy PGA TOURReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 12 - View All
Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Videos
Member Comments
# 61 pietasterp @ 07/02/15 01:42 PM
A few things I saw that caught my eye in the video:

- I like the brighter color palette; I always hated how dark and overcast everything looked in the PS2/3 era Tiger games

- Graphics are nice no doubt

- Swing animations are still sort of choppy and look identical to prior gen versions, but I guess until someone figures out how to make the animation fluid despite discrete up/down motion of the thumbstick, we're stuck with that

- Serious "after-spin" obviously still in the game...fine, since I know you can turn it off, but I just think that's one of the dumbest things ever put into a sports game other than the different length putters of the first few TW games (I mean, would they put in a feature where you could move the basketball toward the basket after you let a 3-pointer go? Even if you could turn that particular feature 'off', the fact that it was even in the game would be preposterous)

- Presentation looks nice; really looks like an NBC golf presentation

- It always annoyed me how you could "zoom" to the target landing area and pick out a specific landing spot/aiming spot for your shots. It just strikes me as so...artificial, I guess. It's almost like, why not just point to where you want the ball to land and press "X", then the ball automatically ends up there? I like the old aiming mechanisms from older golf games, where it's just a flag or a stick or something that you place out there from your golfer's perspective and it's a general aiming guide - no zoom to target, no arrow showing the exact flight, etc. - just a general aiming mechanism and rough idea of where you want to hit the shot. Like what you do in real golf.

- Ball cam....(grumble). I know other cameras are in the game, thankfully.

- Have to see more examples, but the way water was rendered in the old TW games always sucked IMO. Hopefully this gen it will be more realistic.

- Any news on how ties will be handled after the completion of a tournament? The lack of playoffs in the TW games was always completely lame IMO (maybe they fixed that in the later versions and I wasn't aware).

# 62 DivotMaker @ 07/02/15 02:26 PM
After shot spin and power boost were introduced into TW03 for consoles by David DeMartini. Never put into the PC versions thankfully. I have always despised these features every year, yet many on the EA Golf forums love that crap. It is NOT Golf. It is a hole-out-fest that has nothing to do with PGA TOUR Golf. It is a vocal group that has EA's ear unfortunately. That is why I have always wished EA would completely separate the Arcade features from the PGA TOUR Golf features. The after shot spin and boost is the same thing as giving your quarterback in Madden the ability to force the ball into his receivers hands every single play or the kicker never missing a field goal because you control the ball the entire way. Might as well call it the "shooting fish in a barrel" mode. And the arcade fans at EA think the PGA TOUR GOLF fans are crazy for asking for simulation-like features.....completely separate the two and I'm fine.

# 63 pietasterp @ 07/02/15 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
After shot spin and power boost were introduced into TW03 for consoles by David DeMartini. Never put into the PC versions thankfully. I have always despised these features every year, yet many on the EA Golf forums love that crap. It is NOT Golf. It is a hole-out-fest that has nothing to do with PGA TOUR Golf. It is a vocal group that has EA's ear unfortunately. That is why I have always wished EA would completely separate the Arcade features from the PGA TOUR Golf features. The after shot spin and boost is the same thing as giving your quarterback in Madden the ability to force the ball into his receivers hands every single play or the kicker never missing a field goal because you control the ball the entire way. Might as well call it the "shooting fish in a barrel" mode. And the arcade fans at EA think the PGA TOUR GOLF fans are crazy for asking for simulation-like features.....completely separate the two and I'm fine.
Suffice to say, I could not possibly agree more with everything you said.

I know the answer to why this doesn't happen, but the ideal solution would really be a "PGA Tour Game", and a "Golf Blitz/Jam" game for the arcade set. Mixing the two just leads to compromises everywhere, and then no one is totally happy. It's like how you end up at the Cheesecake Factory for dinner when you're with a big group of friends...no one really likes that place, but since you can't please everyone and no one really hates it enough to vocally object, you end up there way more often then you otherwise would. Groupthink at its best.

# 64 sroz39 @ 07/02/15 03:21 PM
Quote:
I think in a way that's exactly what they're doing by making Pro swing and Casual swing modes, no? If people want to play it that way, they're more than welcome to with this setup.

I remember way back when, I think Madden 2000 on PS1, a buddy and I used to play a Franchise Mode together and the whole time he wanted to put it on the easiest level and brag about the stats he puts up. I didn't see the appeal at all but he loved it.

That's who the spin and power boost appeals to and I have no problem with the game having it if it means sales are stronger and future versions keep coming out. But make the sim style very sim and tough, and split the online leaderboards by game style like they are, and everyone should be happy.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

# 65 jbd345 @ 07/02/15 03:42 PM
Instant gratification. Plain and simple. That's all I see when I hear people talking about hole outs. Myself personally I find it more gratifying practicing and mastering the hardest difficulty then shooting 10 under. But everybody these days wants instant results.

# 66 ImTellinTim @ 07/02/15 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp

- It always annoyed me how you could "zoom" to the target landing area and pick out a specific landing spot/aiming spot for your shots. It just strikes me as so...artificial, I guess. It's almost like, why not just point to where you want the ball to land and press "X", then the ball automatically ends up there? I like the old aiming mechanisms from older golf games, where it's just a flag or a stick or something that you place out there from your golfer's perspective and it's a general aiming guide - no zoom to target, no arrow showing the exact flight, etc. - just a general aiming mechanism and rough idea of where you want to hit the shot. Like what you do in real golf.
This - like most of the other options you mentioned - was also able to be tuned to your liking. I know on the last game it was at least. You would really have to pay attention to the fly-by or just be really familiar with the course to know where you needed to aim your shots. So I really hope they offer that as an option in this game.

The nice part was you could play in your clubs or tournaments online that had the same settings for everyone. So you weren't playing against someone who had the ability to zoom in when you didn't.

We aren't going to get a sim game and then an arcade game. We should just be glad that there are options for those of us who like to have the sim experience! I'm not sure if you played TW14 or not, but that is a fantastic game with the correct settings.

That brings me to something I'm wondering. Will we have the option to just have the green grid without any moving beads or other aids on the green? I've always thought that this was the most sim option. You can't realistically read a green in a video game without at least a grid. But the moving beads and any other dashed line-type aids like you see in this video make it way too easy.

# 67 Chairman7w @ 07/02/15 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Any news on how ties will be handled after the completion of a tournament? The lack of playoffs in the TW games was always completely lame IMO (maybe they fixed that in the later versions and I wasn't aware).
Holy buckets I had forgotten all about this. PLEASE tell me they fixed it!

# 68 kodiak @ 07/02/15 06:39 PM
Presentation is great and detail is nice to look at but at its current state(if rumors are true of not being able to play online with friends) still not a $60 game. I mean having the AP Invitational is nice but what are the other 3 tournaments at Bay Hill going to be called? I'll buy it when it's 20-30$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 69 Chairman7w @ 07/02/15 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbd345
Instant gratification. Plain and simple. That's all I see when I hear people talking about hole outs. Myself personally I find it more gratifying practicing and mastering the hardest difficulty then shooting 10 under. But everybody these days wants instant results.
Exactly this. Reminds me of when I was a kid (a LONG time ago). When I was a kid, I'd get a bag of Nacho Cheese Dorito Chips from 7-11. SO dang good. Every now and then, I'd pull one out that was just COVERED in the Nacho Cheese powder! I'd cherish it, and appreciated it.

NOWDAYS, nearly every chip in the bag is like that. Just covered. They're no longer special. It's instant gratification. Every day, all day. It just doesn't mean anything special anymore.

Ahem... Somebody wanna help this old man off my soapbox now?

# 70 ImTellinTim @ 07/02/15 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak
Presentation is great and detail is nice to look at but at its current state(if rumors are true of not being able to play online with friends) still not a $60 game. I mean having the AP Invitational is nice but what are the other 3 tournaments at Bay Hill going to be called? I'll buy it when it's 20-30$

I thought this too, but I'm going to see what the plan is in it not being a yearly title. Could be waiting quite a while for a significant price drop.

# 71 DivotMaker @ 07/02/15 08:26 PM
Quote:

Where did you see that? It is not true.

And what other 3 tournaments at Bay Hill?

# 72 wheels2121 @ 07/02/15 08:57 PM
I think he means if we're going to play a season on 8 courses we'll have to play the same course repeatedly.
This is my big concern, even with the DLC coming. How long will we have to wait?

# 73 Jet Sufferer @ 07/02/15 09:52 PM
The guys who play for hole outs play it like a puzzle game, like a physics formula. I don't have a problem with them, I read one of the top players was playing on a tube tv and using a ruler on the screen to get the exact measurements for his shots/hole outs from fairway.

Some of these guys don't even like golf, but there's a decent amount of guys who enjoy the game that way. They probably can do Rubik's cube in about 30 seconds too. I admire their inventiveness and attention to detail in shooting those rounds in the 40's lol. EA needs their money too so we can have a game.

As long as they keep working on the sim end it's OK to have the arcade mode for the guys who enjoy the mathematics/puzzle aspect of the game.

13 and 14 were decent sim games, let's hope they keep improving the sim aspect. Leave arcade mode how it is and let the brainiacs do their thing too. I wish other EA Sports game were as sim as Tiger 14. Options are a good thing. It would be nice to have options where no one could break par so we could tweak the game to our skill levels.

# 74 DivotMaker @ 07/02/15 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels2121
I think he means if we're going to play a season on 8 courses we'll have to play the same course repeatedly.
This is my big concern, even with the DLC coming. How long will we have to wait?
Thanks. Good question then.....

# 75 wheels2121 @ 07/02/15 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Sufferer
The guys who play for hole outs play it like a puzzle game, like a physics formula. I don't have a problem with them, I read one of the top players was playing on a tube tv and using a ruler on the screen to get the exact measurements for his shots/hole outs from fairway.

Some of these guys don't even like golf, but there's a decent amount of guys who enjoy the game that way. They probably can do Rubik's cube in about 30 seconds too. I admire their inventiveness and attention to detail in shooting those rounds in the 40's lol. EA needs their money too so we can have a game.

As long as they keep working on the sim end it's OK to have the arcade mode for the guys who enjoy the mathematics/puzzle aspect of the game.

13 and 14 were decent sim games, let's hope they keep improving the sim aspect. Leave arcade mode how it is and let the brainiacs do their thing too. I wish other EA Sports game were as sim as Tiger 14. Options are a good thing. It would be nice to have options where no one could break par so we could tweak the game to our skill levels.
A good friend of mine used to do that, especially when the games were based on percentages. He made it into a math game

# 76 Br_Mac16 @ 07/03/15 12:34 AM
As others have posted already, it seems as though they are trying to first build a solid game of golf and then branch the options from there. Which is really all I've ever wanted; create a game that plays the sport well and then make a mode for arcade style play with boosts, spinning the ball in the air, holeouts, big hit cameras, sparks, the whole nine yards. Also have a pro mode that takes away all aids and increases sensitivity on swing stick.
Sounds like this is exactly what they've done...

# 77 MrSkagTrendy @ 07/03/15 02:55 AM
This game looks fantastic! In fact it's got me so excited that this is my first time on the forums since the Madden 12 demo. Can't wait to buy it!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

# 78 kodiak @ 07/03/15 04:09 AM
Quote:
Where did you see that? It is not true.

And what other 3 tournaments at Bay Hill?

It was in another thread in here from someone who supposedly played the game, but not one of the OS writers.

Yes as stated above, I was referring to the light number of courses so some recycling of included courses will have to be done to fill out a season schedule.

# 79 OnlookerDelay @ 07/03/15 09:04 AM
Quote:
Presentation is great and detail is nice to look at but at its current state(if rumors are true of not being able to play online with friends)
According to the official information I've read, you can play online with friends, but it will strictly be asynchronous play. You'll both be teeing it up together, but if you want to follow the order of play rules of golf, you'll have to coordinate that between the two (or more) of you. What will make this easier to do in RMPGAT is there won't be the 4 to 6 second delay between the time you say something and the time your opponent sees your actions play out on the screen, ala The Golf Club. It will be real time (<200 ms delay) between voice and action.

What RMPGAT won't do - and I really will miss this - is handle matchplay or alternate shot scoring. Matchplay is my favorite method of online multiplayer. I guess you could still pull it off in unranked matches, but it will be up to you and your opponent to score and sequence the match manually. If you're playing a ranked match, the game is only going to know who won in medal play. Of course alternate shot would be totally out the window with asynchronous play only

Quote:
I mean having the AP Invitational is nice but what are the other 3 tournaments at Bay Hill going to be called?
I see your concern here and we won't know how this is handled until we get the full game I guess. At this point, I see the potential of having 11 courses (if Lighthouse Point and Wetlands are realistic fictional courses moreso than fantasy courses as hinted) that I would consider as venues for a tour. If you wanted to play a 33 event tour, you could play them each three times, maybe with different times of the day to change the look a bit.

Then again, if DLC courses are added in fairly quickly, it wouldn't be long before you'd probably have 16 real or realistic courses you could play, and you'd only have to play each course twice to make a season. I can easily see the potential for 32 real or realistic courses within a year, but I guess it boils down to how active and offline, season/career mode player you are before the number of courses starts to wear thin.

# 80 wheels2121 @ 07/03/15 01:00 PM
I'm sorry, a year is unacceptable. They should have just waited a year to put the game out then if that's the case. I'm supposed to wait months before I can play something resembling a real season?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.