Home
NBA Live 16 News Post

EA Sports has released a couple of NBA Live 16 screenshots of Jimmy Butler on their NBA Live Twitter feed. More screenshots can be seen here, along with information you may have missed here.

Game: NBA Live 16Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 4 - View All
NBA Live 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Luke Skywalker @ 07/04/15 08:58 PM
How are NBA players allowed to get tattoos and NFL (Madden) isn't?

# 22 benefactor @ 07/04/15 09:41 PM
Firstly, some of you guys must not have played Live 15... bench players already had warmups on during games last year.

Anyway, some comparisons with last year. Skin tones are great this year but I still suspect these Butler pics have had the contrast turned up post game...

# 23 strawberryshortcake @ 07/04/15 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WISports
I'm a 2K guy, but as far as purely screen shots go, these Butler pics look better than any 2K pic I've seen. Obviously, when you see it in motion that's another story.

Live definitely beats 2K in the lighting department, and it isn't that close. Hopefully 2K improves on that this year.
Can you really say for certain that Live's 16 Butler pic is better than anything 2k has ever put out. Look at some of the pictures from 2k15 below (durant, harden, wall)

However, arena lighting is definitely better in Live as you can see from the pictures below. But as far as skin texture and skin tone and skin color palette, especially in screen captures as seen below (Kevin Durant) compared to youtube videos and Jimmy Butler's skin tone, the competitor has a more realistic approach. However, when looking at gameplay screen capture when everything is far away, Live16 and the competitor's 15 looks very similar. But close up shots, the competitor has a more realistic natural skin tone and color palette.

Live 16 - better floor reflections, better hardwood floor details

Real NBA Live footage

Competitor 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by grodbetatted
these comparison screens are definitely what needs to be shown, because nba lives skin textures and skin tones look much more lifelike than the competitor.. we just have to see it in motion
I will have to kindly disagree with that statement regarding NBA live having better skin tones than the competitor. It really depends on the lighting of the room. Ambient and indoor lighting plays a part. Even if you look at your own skin texture at the moment, it's no where as vibrant and as saturated as that seen in some of the Live 16s screen captures.

Even if you watch Jimmy Butler's video and real live game footage, the skin tone color palette is not as drastically "up-contrasted."

Below are some competitor's screen capture from 15. Compare Kevin Durant Live 15 to the other game's Kevin Durant and compare the skin tone to the Kevin Durant's interview skin tone. The competitor's game has the skin tone much more subtle and soft as seen in real life where Live 15 has the skin tone's contrast turned up it seems.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Compare the above two pictures including the spoiler pictures of James Harden and John Wall to the below Kevin Durant's interview real skin tone/color palette.

I will say this though. EA's UFC game has very realistic lighting and skin texture:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY IV M3RCY
It looks good no doubt about that. However something with nba lives player models that still looks cartoonish to me I can't understand why, but it does. It's the same thing with Madden. I guess it just boils down to ones preference.
That will agree with. EA "engine" or whatever is called and how they 'build' their player models and animation system has that characteristic look to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Viper
Can you please elaborate on what looks cartoonish? The comparison pics are great and resembles their real life counterpart. I'm just trying to see what you see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLWiLL
Man, if you think this looks cartoonish, I wonder what you think of the other game's player models?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY IV M3RCY
I think the competition brings more life like player models. Can't wait to see what they can do with body scanning.
That I will agree with. There is more "life" to the competitor's player models. Something about their engine.

# 24 benefactor @ 07/05/15 12:10 AM
I think 'life' is the last word I'd use to describe 2Ks visuals.

There's nothing wrong with having a preference though, just don't take up the whole page with comparisons in a Live forum.

# 25 strawberryshortcake @ 07/05/15 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by benefactor
I think 'life' is the last word I'd use to describe 2Ks visuals.

There's nothing wrong with having a preference though, just don't take up the whole page with comparisons in a Live forum.
It's not a preference. I'm analyzing visual evidence to come up with an educated visual answer. If you don't want a comparison with the other game, completely disregard the 'other game' in my post above and just focus on the skin tone and color palette for Live16 screenshots with that of real life videos I presented or ones you can find on youtube.

Using visual evidence is better than simply some saying it with words. A picture is worth a thousand words.

The sames goes when it comes to analyzing gameplay. Disregard any other game and compare it to real life footage.

# 26 PVarck31 @ 07/05/15 12:23 AM
This isn't a Live/2K comparison thread. Keep it about Live please.

# 27 strawberryshortcake @ 07/05/15 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
This isn't a Live/2K comparison thread. Keep it about Live please.
Fine. Let's put it this way. I had the impression that constructive comparison was acceptable. Plus, many before made mentions to the other game.

If not, we'll just stick with Live16 and real life footage.

For those still following this thread, compare Live16's Durant skin tone color palette in the screenshot to Kevin Durant's skin tone in the above Kevin Durant interview. Live16 Durant has a more 'high saturated' color palette, a little bit more orange hue to it, somewhat.

The same goes with Live16 Jimmy Butler. Live15 Jimmy Butler, just skin tone/color palette seems to better resemble what I've seen in the youtube video of Jimmy Butler.

The problem, however, these Live16 screenshots don't resemble quite what we see in game footage (E3 demo Live16). The demo has a softer more realistic tone/color palette, which is a good thing because it's more representative of real life.

# 28 PVarck31 @ 07/05/15 12:41 AM
If you want to compare games in any way you do it in the "other" threads. While it may start out constructive in here, it will most likely end up in a complete mess. That's why we don't allow it.

# 29 strawberryshortcake @ 07/05/15 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
If you want to compare games in any way you do it in the "other" threads. While it may start out constructive in here, it will most likely end up in a complete mess. That's why we don't allow it.
Alright, cool. Sounds good. Pleasant day.

Just hope there's a Live16 demo.

# 30 jr86 @ 07/05/15 08:24 AM
Quote:
Firstly, some of you guys must not have played Live 15... bench players already had warmups on during games last year.

Anyway, some comparisons with last year. Skin tones are great this year but I still suspect these Butler pics have had the contrast turned up post game...

Wow...Didn't know Rondo played for the bulls last year...lol.
Much improved facially this year.

# 31 hesko @ 07/05/15 10:28 AM
the hair tho!!! nice work.

# 32 blingballa333 @ 07/05/15 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Fine. Let's put it this way. I had the impression that constructive comparison was acceptable. Plus, many before made mentions to the other game.

If not, we'll just stick with Live16 and real life footage.

For those still following this thread, compare Live16's Durant skin tone color palette in the screenshot to Kevin Durant's skin tone in the above Kevin Durant interview. Live16 Durant has a more 'high saturated' color palette, a little bit more orange hue to it, somewhat.

The same goes with Live16 Jimmy Butler. Live15 Jimmy Butler, just skin tone/color palette seems to better resemble what I've seen in the youtube video of Jimmy Butler.

The problem, however, these Live16 screenshots don't resemble quite what we see in game footage (E3 demo Live16). The demo has a softer more realistic tone/color palette, which is a good thing because it's more representative of real life.
Why compare the color of the skin to an interview? Gameplay won't take place in a media center. It takes place under a bunch of bright lights on the basketball court.

Looks a bit closer to the NBA Live screenshot doesn't it?

# 33 jaychitown312 @ 07/05/15 09:56 PM
Live is working right now, lets enjoy and let them work. As long as they continue to compete I am good. It feels good not to have to buy 2K just because I like basketball. I never really play it. Live 15 I just traded it in, just to prepare for Live 16.

# 34 strawberryshortcake @ 07/06/15 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blingballa333
Why compare the color of the skin to an interview? Gameplay won't take place in a media center. It takes place under a bunch of bright lights on the basketball court.

Looks a bit closer to the NBA Live screenshot doesn't it?
EDIT: Let's put it this way, we're on the PS4/XB1, I am expecting much more photorealistic graphics. Simply looking at Live16's Kevin Durant and Jimmy Butler's screen shot, I can tell it's either a video game or a painting someone did if I had no clue about sports video game. During real gameplay however, the color palette of the players skin tone looks more believable. Screenshots, not so much.

If you read one of my previous post, I did say that the lighting for players skin tone, color palette, during gameplay sequence looked better than the Live16 screenshots. I chose a media interview session because it gets you up close and personal with Durant natural skin tone/complexion.

Closer, but Live16 screenshot still has the contrast upped in my opinion (IMO). How about we use real game footage. See the similarities of Durant's complexion to Durant interview versus what we see in Live16's screenshot?

Point being: Color palette/skin tone Live16 gameplay footage is much, much, much better than what we see in these Live16 screenshot.

# 35 benefactor @ 07/06/15 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
EDIT: Let's put it this way, we're on the PS4/XB1, I am expecting much more photorealistic graphics.
Be happy with what we've got.

2K next gen was visually an amazing jump this gen. And Live 15 and now 16 looks to have created the most lifelike athletes videogaming has ever seen.

Consider this, the models in current bball games (given there are 10 on the court at once and a crowd, refs, etc) even on their own, look better than anything we've seen in 1vs1 fighting game. And bball games have 100's of more animations and variations of animations as well.

What the artists have achieved is pretty special really. Live with their newly animated facial features and photoreal face scans, the look of moving and flexing muscles, the sweat and even the ragdoll physics (which weren't perfect, but still impressive in 15) is really delivering.

# 36 strawberryshortcake @ 07/06/15 05:31 AM
Quote:
Be happy with what we've got.

2K next gen was visually an amazing jump this gen. And Live 15 and now 16 looks to have created the most lifelike athletes videogaming has ever seen.

Consider this, the models in current bball games (given there are 10 on the court at once and a crowd, refs, etc) even on their own, look better than anything we've seen in 1vs1 fighting game. And bball games have 100's of more animations and variations of animations as well.

What the artists have achieved is pretty special really. Live with their newly animated facial features and photoreal face scans, the look of moving and flexing muscles, the sweat and even the ragdoll physics (which weren't perfect, but still impressive in 15) is really delivering.

Please further elaborate on your statement "And Live 15 and now 16 looks to have created the most lifelike athletes videogaming has ever seen."

Are you referring to simple screenshots because they have facial scanned athletes? Are you referring to player movements? What part of Live15 or Live16 displays the most "lifelike athletes videogaming has ever seen"?

"Animated facial features" ...? Can you link either a video or a website that shows Live15 or Live16 having "animated facial features" that have a humanistic quality?

I'm excited to see Live16 in action as much as you guys/gals are too. I hope there's a demo for the PS4/XB1. But there are certain movements I've already seen in the leaked Live16 that looks awkward that I don't see how it could have gone untouched (i.e. the passing motion for one thing).

EDIT: One of my biggest pet peeve with EA's player models is their "hunchback-ness" positions. It's not just their shoulder region but also EA's model have this seemingly very stiff and rigid, fixed plane characteristic to their lumbar/gluteal region. Hips looks locked in place all the time without the ability to twist separately from the waist area. It's very static, seemingly as if there's a cast surrounding it and restricting freedom of movement so to speak.

# 37 benefactor @ 07/06/15 05:56 AM
I'm talking about character models, textures, lighting applied to those models and how they are almost replicating their real life human counterparts. (Not animation).

I have been gaming (and even dabbled in 3D character modelling more than once) for over 20 years and have not seen a better representation of an NBA athlete than the models in Live 15.

Their shoulders are round, there are real muscle tones, body shapes, when limbs animate those muscles appear to move and flex, you don't see (many) sharp or blocky edges to the polygons, no visible joins.

What they've achieved is technically, very, very impressive.

Some of that is seen in these Live 15 pics. And make note of the different body sizes. Big Baby and his chubbiness, George Hill and is broad shoulders. Again, as a whole it isn't perfect at all areas, but to not appreciate the quality is to quite simply, appear like you are looking for a game vs game fanboy argument (which would only get you banned).

# 38 The 24th Letter @ 07/06/15 06:37 AM
Well, saying Live 16 the most lifelike sports game ever after about 5 screenshots and some minor gameplay footage is certainly going to raise some valid questions....nothing really "fanboy" about disagreeing with that...

At the end of the day it comes down to preference. I can definitely appreciate Lives art style though, always have.....Live 15 wad a nice looking game and Live 16 looks to be even more improved. Hopefully that becomes even more evident outside of the replay screens this year...

# 39 strawberryshortcake @ 07/06/15 06:38 AM
Quote:
I'm talking about character models, textures, lighting applied to those models and how they are almost replicating their real life human counterparts. (Not animation).

I have been gaming (and even dabbled in 3D character modelling more than once) for over 20 years and have not seen a better representation of an NBA athlete than the models in Live 15.

Their shoulders are round, there are real muscle tones, body shapes, when limbs animate those muscles appear to move and flex, you don't see (many) sharp or blocky edges to the polygons, no visible joins.

What they've achieved is technically, very, very impressive.

Some of that is seen in these Live 15 pics. And make note of the different body sizes. Big Baby and his chubbiness, George Hill and is broad shoulders. Again, as a whole it isn't perfect at all areas, but to not appreciate the quality is to quite simply, appear like you are looking for a game vs game fanboy argument (which would only get you banned).
Thanks for the clarification. It may not sound like it but I certainly do appreciate what Live is doing. These screenshots that you just posted definitely has better skin tone, color palette, more lifelike skin complexion than specifically the "Jimmy Butler" and "Kevin Durant" screen.

Okay, you've dabbled with 3D models and gamed for 20 years. That's great indeed. It gives you perspective. But the true test (and this is one reason why I decided to post about the Jimmy Butler and Kevin Durant screenshot) is to ask someone who does not play video games at all because sometimes an outsider's point of view may be even more important.

My two sisters don't game (not sports game, but street fighter, zelda, mario brothers, etc.), my two sister's husbands don't really game. A look at Live16's Durant and Butler's screenshot and they thought it looked cool but definitely not real. They said it looks fake. Their opinions were different when I presented them with the "other" game's screenshots (they were amazed). The same reaction when I showed them gameplay footage of Gran Turismo (they didn't believe that it was a video game).

Then I showed them NBA16's gameplay video. Their reactions were what I expected. The player models and lighting and skin tone were definitely much more realistic.

Not sure why you had to make that final statement. No one is looking for a game vs game fanboy/fangirl argument. I brought up the other game because others mentioned it. Constructive criticism should be perfectly fine if a certain other product has desirable elements that could be useful influence. It's a little bit more touchy on operationsports and hence you try to avoid doing so.

Side Remark with regards to your fanboy comment. MLBtheShow has great lighting and graphics, and gameplay. But it also has some very awkward animations and gameplay moments. Pro Yakyuu Spirits is another baseball game available in Japan (unfortunately only available in the Japanese language). I bought a PS3 and PS4 specifically for MLBtheShow. I love the game. However, there are tons of stuff from the now defunct MLB2k baseball game and Pro Yakyuu Spirits game that surpasses MLBtheShow. If the Show's developers would take suggested influential elements from MLB2k and Pro Yakyuu Spirits, MLBtheShow would be so much better. It's not about being a fanboy, it's about trying to get a game to greater heights and realism.

EDIT: Same with other products. Cell phones for example. If a certain phone has a feature, an effect, or whatever that isn't trademarked and provides the user a better experience, it would be nice for a second cell phone manufacturer to takes notes and if possible incorporate it into their product line. It's about looking at your competition and seeing what they're doing, whether good or bad, and I guess "brainstorm" if you will.

The Spurs has a formula for winning; one can essentially say the Golden State Warriors have adopted and tweaked that winning blueprint formula.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.