Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post

Donny Moore, aka the ‘Madden Ratings Czar’, is leaving Electronic Arts as he will be “pursuing other interests.”

In an official statement on Twitter, Moore said, “After much thought & consideration, I have chosen to step away from @EASports & announce my retirement as the Madden Ratings Czar as I have opted to pursue other interests. I am especially grateful of the opportunity to rate players for some of the greatest fans in video games today. After 16 years, it is finally time to hang up the czar's mouse pad! #Czartirement"

For Moore, this ends a long tenure as the guy running the ratings and updates for Madden. Moore’s tenure spanned 16 years at EA Tiburon, which means he was easily one of the most tenured at that studio. There is no word yet on who will be replacing Moore, but we do expect an announcement soon.

The ratings position occupied by Moore has been a staple of Madden’s internet presence for years. Moore’s ratings oftentimes drew criticism, but the weekly ratings updates were always hugely anticipated by fans, despite what ire they may have drawn.

The ratings this year will likely still come in the same pacing as previous years, and it will be interesting to see if any differences in how much players move up and down the scale happens without Moore at the helm. We’ll certainly be watching it going forward!

Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 24 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 StefJoeHalt @ 07/03/15 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Don't the overalls heavily influence what goes on in CFM such as salary demands, trade value, free agency, player development?

It's already wonky now but I can just imagine how completely broken it would be with this drastic a change. I'm no expert but the re-writing of the code would have to be substantial, I would think, to re-weigh everything to traits -- the same trait system that I still don't think is totally fleshed out. I just don't see EA even putting that on the table

Senator..I want to do away with overall..but I think "hiding" it would do..they can keep overall in the game but in the background..when u posted made me realize ur point..but fair half way point is keep it in the background

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 102 4thQtrStre5S @ 07/03/15 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Yeah, you are not getting the job.

I never really had a problem with Donny's ratings. My problems were with the gameplay side of it. Donny rated players within a system, I don't think he designed the mechanics of the system though. He is a football guy, not a programmer.

If we want changes to the ratings system, the core gameplay mechanics would need a overhaul as well.

I think Donny did about as well as one could hope for in the circumstances.
And your qualifications are?

# 103 ggsimmonds @ 07/03/15 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
None.

Sorry if it offends you or causes you to get defensive, but my guess is that if he tells EA that the first thing he would do is get rid of the overall, they probably will not hire him.

Sorry you don't like it, but it goes against their design vision.

Also I personally would not hire him because of this:
"FBG Ratings is a one man show"
"Let the users "scout" their team like real GMs and coaches do based upon the TRAITS and PRODUCTION of their players."

My perspective is that on one hand he is saying my way or not at all, i.e. he does the ratings as he sees fit and will not alter his system to accommodate marketing or whoever. Sure that is fine.
But he then steps outside of ratings and suggests that the CFM guys do their thing differently.

So he is not keen on people giving him outside input but he is already doing that himself?

Look it is nothing against him or the ratings, but if I was EA I would not be too eager to hire him. ( I personally feel that the changes he suggests are good ones, but it is not about my opinion. Try to put yourself into EA's shoes)

# 104 kehlis @ 07/03/15 06:04 PM
Quote:
If he gives them the prerequisite that they won't hire him if he will remove overalls he will not get the job.

Don't need any qualifications to know that.

# 105 4thQtrStre5S @ 07/03/15 06:04 PM
Quote:
None.

Sorry if it offends you or causes you to get defensive, but my guess is that if he tells EA that the first thing he would do is get rid of the overall, they probably will not hire him.

"Let the users "scout" their team like real GMs and coaches do based upon the TRAITS and PRODUCTION of their players."

My perspective is that on one hand he is saying my way or not at all, i.e. he does the ratings as he sees fit and will not alter his system to accommodate marketing or whoever. Sure that is fine.
But he then steps outside of ratings and suggests that the CFM guys do their thing differently.

So he is not keen on people giving him outside input but he is already doing that himself?

Look it is nothing against him or the ratings, but if I was EA I would not be too eager to hire him. ( I personally feel that the changes he suggests are good ones, but it is not about my opinion. Try to put yourself into EA's shoes)
Why would I be offended? You weren't talking to me; I just wanted to know your qualifications because your reply seemed to suggest you had some sort of EA insight...

Sounds like you're offended by Dan..

# 106 4thQtrStre5S @ 07/03/15 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
If he gives them the prerequisite that they won't hire him if he will remove overalls he will not get the job.

Don't need any qualifications to know that.
I don't even see the point of the comment..Seemed more like taking shots...Thought that was illegal here?

# 107 charter04 @ 07/03/15 06:08 PM
Quote:
None.

Then why even contact him about the job? They already know how he feels based on the last conversation. There must be some reason why they reached out him. If they just wanted to keep doing the same thing then why reach out to someone who clearly doesn't do the same old thing?

The whole point of using someone like Dan is because he uses real NFL scouting data. Donny used his own opinion and info from the internet that anyone can get.

Donny was a one man show as well. I don't think EA has a problem with one guy doing it or they would have made a change a long time ago.

# 108 ggsimmonds @ 07/03/15 06:12 PM
Quote:
Why would I be offended? You weren't talking to me; I just wanted to know your qualifications because your reply seemed to suggest you had some sort of EA insight...

Sounds like you're offended by Dan..
It is the shortness and way you worded your post. Like you were trying to swat me down or something.
In my reply I specifically say it is not about my views on Dan's ratings and you reply that it sounds like I am offended by Dan. Awesome.

I should not have any more EA insight than anyone else here. We all see the same things. The way they make ratings reveals a big deal with their top 10 lists and such. Look back at the CFM details. I think it was a stream where they discussed it. They added in the ability to know the overall of a draft pick immediately after selection. They said it will be cool to have guys ask you during the draft "what was his overall?"

Madden likes the overall rating. Abolishing that would require a drastic change in their mindset. Hence my initial comment.

Look I will explicitly state this to save from confusion: I personally would like for the overall rating to be hidden. I'm all for it. I do not think EA is interested in doing that.

# 109 kehlis @ 07/03/15 06:13 PM
Quote:
I don't even see the point of the comment..Seemed more like taking shots...Thought that was illegal here?
Taking shots? Where were any shots taken?

# 110 charter04 @ 07/03/15 06:13 PM
Also if you follow the FBG site you know that he has overalls on the site. So I really don't think he would say it has to be done without overalls. Seems like he would just be suggesting it. Clearly the FBG ratings work fine utilizing the overall rating.

# 111 4thQtrStre5S @ 07/03/15 06:14 PM
ALso, Dan merely said he would suggest getting rid of overalls, not that he would demand them to be removed or else...

# 112 4thQtrStre5S @ 07/03/15 06:15 PM
Quote:
Taking shots? Where were any shots taken?
They are on the previous page..But I am done with this issue cause I don't want a ban...So we will agree to disagree..

# 113 kehlis @ 07/03/15 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
Then why even contact him about the job?
Because they don't know he would want to eliminate overall?

You guys are taking this too personally for Dan a bit. He's a great guy and his ratings are awesome and no one is saying anything to the contrary.

But if he tells him he wants to remove overall I guarantee they would say no. It's far too much of a marketing tool.

And don't get me wrong, I not only understand that overall is actually meaningless because single traits are what matters and I hate it.

I would love for them to get rid of it but it has absolutley no bearing on the field because the individual traits is the only traits that matter.

# 114 4thQtrStre5S @ 07/03/15 06:17 PM
Quote:
It is the shortness and way you worded your post. Like you were trying to swat me down or something.
In my reply I specifically say it is not about my views on Dan's ratings and you reply that it sounds like I am offended by Dan. Awesome.

I should not have any more EA insight than anyone else here. We all see the same things. The way they make ratings reveals a big deal with their top 10 lists and such. Look back at the CFM details. I think it was a stream where they discussed it. They added in the ability to know the overall of a draft pick immediately after selection. They said it will be cool to have guys ask you during the draft "what was his overall?"

Madden likes the overall rating. Abolishing that would require a drastic change in their mindset. Hence my initial comment.

Look I will explicitly state this to save from confusion: I personally would like for the overall rating to be hidden. I'm all for it. I do not think EA is interested in doing that.
Shortness? Sorry if you feel that way, it was a simple question..

anyway, i'm done with this unproductive debate..

# 115 kehlis @ 07/03/15 06:18 PM
Quote:
They are on the previous page..But I am done with this issue cause I don't want a ban...So we will agree to disagree..
He said "you wont get the job".

That is not trolling, that's an opinion nor is it a shot. Everything else he said was about Donny.

# 116 ggsimmonds @ 07/03/15 06:20 PM
Quote:
Also if you follow the FBG site you know that he has overalls on the site. So I really don't think he would say it has to be done without overalls. Seems like he would just be suggesting it. Clear the FBG ratings work fine utilizing the overall rating.
Quote:
ALso, Dan merely said he would suggest getting rid of overalls, not that he would demand them to be removed or else...
After I tried to avoid any further confusion it still happens.

You guys are making this out to be more than it is. Dan's vision is a Madden without overalls. I don't think Madden shares that vision (hopefully they do). I would think they would opt to hire someone who shares their ideas.

That is why I said he would not get the job. Sure, maybe I should have thrown in a probably. My bad I guess.

# 117 4thQtrStre5S @ 07/03/15 06:23 PM
Quote:
He said "you wont get the job".

That is not trolling, that's an opinion nor is it a shot. Everything else he said was about Donny.
It is his second post, the one to me, where he takes the time to make shots; he also at the same time slides in some positive comments, but it had an overall backhand feel to just slam Dan for a dislike of his character..

Anyone, I do not want a fight with you Kehlis; this has gotten way off topic and gone too far...

# 118 charter04 @ 07/03/15 06:24 PM
Quote:
Because they don't know he would want to eliminate overall?

You guys are taking this too personally for Dan a bit. He's a great guy and his ratings are awesome and no one is saying anything to the contrary.

But if he tells him he wants to remove overall I guarantee they would say no. It's far too much of a marketing tool.

And don't get me wrong, I not only understand that overall is actually meaningless because single traits are what matters and I hate it.

I would love for them to get rid of it but it has absolutley no bearing on the field because the individual traits is the only traits that matter.
I don't have any idea who or who is not taking anything personally. Goodness. I'm certainly not.

I was very clear that he merely suggested it. He never said that was the sticking point to everything.

I was just sharing a different opinion to the comment that said, You aren't getting the job.

I don't think anyone can say he's not getting a job that for sure without a "IMO" being used. Just seemed a little harsh.

So just to be clear. I can share a different opinion on this site without being labeled as "taking something personally"? I think reading into someone's feelings based on one response is a bit much. IMO.

# 119 tyberious4now @ 07/03/15 06:28 PM
Reading thru all these pages it's just sad that Madden will not give the users want they want!!!

I mean we have alot of great input on this site why not utilize some of these ideas it to make the game even better?

I just don't know

# 120 kehlis @ 07/03/15 06:31 PM
Quote:
So just to be clear. I can share a different opinion on this site without being labeled as "taking something personally"? I think reading into someone's feelings based on one response is a bit much. IMO.
Fair enough. I shouldn't have said that but it just seemed to me that you guys were defending him when it really wasn't necessary because no one said anything negative about him.

I very well could have been wrong.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.