Home
WWE 2K16 News Post

The cover athlete for WWE 2K16 was scheduled to be revealed during RAW tonight, but it has been leaked out by various outlets. The official press release was posted on the WWE website shortly after the news hit the Internet.

Read the official press release below and check out the WWE 2K16 cover announcement video here.

"Gimme a Hell Yeah": 2K Announces Stone Cold Steve Austin as WWE 2K16 Cover Superstar

WWE Hall of Famer, film and television personality, producer and podcasting innovator set to inject Texas-sized attitude in flagship WWE video game franchise

2K today announced WWE Hall of Famer Stone Cold Steve Austin® as the cover Superstar for WWE® 2K16, the forthcoming release in the flagship WWE franchise. After setting the WWE Universe on fire during one of WWE’s most celebrated time periods – the “Attitude Era” – to his wealth of television, film and podcasting accomplishments, Austin has amassed worldwide admiration through his unequivocal presence both in and out of the WWE ring. WWE 2K16 is currently in development for Xbox One and Xbox 360, as well as the PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment systems. The game is scheduled for release on October 27, 2015 in North America and October 30, 2015 internationally.

"I’ve had the privilege of working with 2K to support the WWE 2K franchise, and now I’m absolutely honored to serve as the WWE 2K16 cover Superstar,” said Stone Cold Steve Austin. “No disrespect to the previous and extremely deserving WWE 2K cover Superstars – Dwayne ‘The Rock®’ Johnson and John Cena® – but it’s about time the franchise raised some hell with yours truly on the cover. I look forward to injecting a dose of ‘Texas Rattlesnake’ into this year’s game and overall campaign."

Austin is regarded by many as one of the most popular WWE Superstars to ever enter a WWE ring, holding 21 championships throughout his career and being inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2009. His relentless work ethic has also made him a significant mainstream fixture and pop-culture icon as an actor, producer and host in television, film and podcasting. Austin hosted the return of WWE’s reality competition series Tough Enough on USA Network in 2011, and since 2012 has hosted four seasons of Redneck Island on CMT. He also serves as the host of Steve Austin’s Broken Skull Challenge, which is currently in production for its third season on CMT. His film credits include appearances in several feature films, including The Longest Yard, The Condemned and The Expendables, while his no-holds-barred weekly podcast, The Steve Austin Show, regularly appears on the Top Podcasts list within the Sports & Recreation category on iTunes. He also hosts the Stone Cold Podcast, Live!, a monthly interview series on the award-winning WWE Network, where he has interviewed several special guests including Vince McMahon, Triple H and Paul Heyman. In addition, Austin is a brand ambassador for Kawasaki Motors Corp., USA.

“Stone Cold Steve Austin’s iconic style, unmistakable personality and worldwide reverence from the WWE Universe make him the ideal fit for WWE 2K16,” said Chris Snyder, Vice President of Marketing at 2K. “Not only will Austin grace the video game’s cover, but he’s involved in shaping its creative direction. Through his numerous contributions, inclusion on the largest roster in franchise history and the game’s to-be-announced features, WWE 2K16 is certain to put everyone on notice.”

Developed collaboratively by Yuke’s and Visual Concepts, a 2K studio, WWE 2K16 is not yet rated by the ESRB. WWE 2K16 is currently scheduled for release on Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4™ and PS3™ on October 27, 2015 in North America and October 30, 2015 internationally.

Game: WWE 2K16Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 3 - View All
WWE 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 MUCHLUV69 @ 07/06/15 10:50 PM
I wanted KO Kevin Owens on the cover!

I really really hope the crowd during the whole Cena matches yell.."LET'S GO CENA.....CENA SUCKS!!"

# 42 King_B_Mack @ 07/06/15 11:33 PM
Guys kill me with the current roster stuff. The current roster sucks. Nobody is going to use Los Matadores. How many people are really looking at playing with R-Truth or Fandango or Acension?

All this "do what I want and **** everybody else" stuff kills me. I want to see a full current roster for the guys that want that stuff, but I want to see a big legend presence as well. No Mercy was a great game, but I want to play with all those guys from the past on these bad *** machines we have access to now. Only having coin operated arcade machines to have ever played with Owen Hart on or RAW on Sega Genesis? That was great for that time, but now that we have the proper tools to really enjoy those kind of guys bring them on please. I like this biggest roster ever stuff. Get the current guys and NXT guys represented, then get me my legends represented well with the big names of their eras and then give me 100-200 CAW slots so I can fill out a legend roster with the guys that don't make it if that's what I want to do, but **** all this only do one crap or make a separate game.

# 43 CM Hooe @ 07/07/15 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
How many people are really looking at playing with R-Truth or Fandango [...]?
/me raises hand sheepishly

I get caught up in having random lower-card guys end up in sprawling and epic storylines in Universe because the CPU said so, and I'd rather this happen with modern guys than, say, King Kong Bundy. Heck, one of the first things I usually do is remove most of the legends from my Universe.

I agree with the overall sentiment of your point of "why not both?", I'm a little apprehensive about their ability to strike a balance however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I'm curious, how many wrestlers would make up the current roster?
Going off the Wikipedia page, I count 67 active main roster Superstars and Divas. NXT has 36 active Superstars and Divas.

That's 103 right there. I doubt we get all of them, because you can probably list at least a dozen wrestlers who need to be in a Stone Cold showcase for it to be effective, then probably at least a dozen more usual suspects, then a handful of deeper cut / only-in-this-game guys.

# 44 BDKiiing @ 07/07/15 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay34
Attitude era was over rated......? Ummmmm get WWE network and watch some of it. If the current WWE is going to keeping pushing lame *** stories like they are now and limiting their good technical wrestlers to doing safe moves then what is the PG era in your eyes? Probably the best thing ever right?? Attitude era over rated..... You can join my kiss my *** club.

You must not come around the wrestling boards much. I'm a day one network guy, I've seen the attitude era. But the ruthless aggression era was better. Today is meh. NXT is great though.

And no mercy had only current wrestlers. They should give us 200 CAW slots for legends.

In regards to the game, this isn't a legends game, this is a current day game. First priority should be full current roster.

# 45 King_B_Mack @ 07/07/15 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdolski
You must not come around the wrestling boards much. I'm a day one network guy, I've seen the attitude era. But the ruthless aggression era was better. Today is meh. NXT is great though.

And no mercy had only current wrestlers. They should give us 200 CAW slots for legends.

In regards to the game, this isn't a legends game, this is a current day game. First priority should be full current roster.
That's because when No Mercy came out Vince was on bad terms with just about every notable legend in existence of the old WWF/they worked for WCW at the time. If they were in the kumbaya state that a large chunk of them are currently in with Vince and company, they'd have been all over that game too.

The first priority should be putting together a game that people want to play. Most of the roster is typically always in the game anyway outside of one or two major misses and that's typically because they don't come on WWE tv before the roster cutoff date.

# 46 fredo5020 @ 07/07/15 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdolski
I absolutely hate relying on the past. This is the 2016 edition not the 1996 edition. I would honestly be fine if there wasn't a single legend in the game, with Rock, Taker, and Austin being the exceptions. All the other old wrestlers I just never use. I want as complete of a current roster as possible, all the way down to the jobbers. I want as deep of an NXT roster as possible, as it's the best thing going in the western hemisphere. This year they had the perfect opportunity to utilize how white hot NXT is right now. Finn Balor just won the NXT championship, they could have capitalized on that. If I'm designing the cover, you go with a past, present, future theme. Have your Austin on there, but there's no excuse why Brock Lesnar is not on the cover, and Finn Balor should be as well. They should have had all three on there with Lesnar being front and center.

But whatever, it's just a cover, give me a full roster and a fairly deep NXT roster and I'll be buying the game without second guessing. But I'll damn sure not touch those legends.
I'm pretty sure Finn Balor was spit in the ocean when this descion was made

# 47 IowaAJ @ 07/07/15 12:18 PM
I wonder what the showcases will be, Probably Stone Cold vs the Rock or will they do Stone Cold vs Vince. Also I wonder what new age showcase they are thinking about?

# 48 RayRay34 @ 07/07/15 01:23 PM
I'm thinking that since there are 120 character models that the game roster should be split in half. 60 current superstars and Divas and then 60 legends. I mean honestly are there even 60 current superstars or Divas worth playing with, I mean your scrapping the bottom of the barrel if you get that many.

# 49 RayRay34 @ 07/07/15 01:30 PM
Just counted 70 superstars on the main roster... Now there will be some NXT guys and gals on the game this we know. But this 70 includes people like Hornswaggle and El Torrito, along with Divas I haven't seen on TV in a while....don't watch smackdown so they might be on there. There is no way I can see the entire roster making the game but who knows. That means there should be a good amount of Legends on the game.

# 50 King_B_Mack @ 07/07/15 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaAJ
I wonder what the showcases will be, Probably Stone Cold vs the Rock or will they do Stone Cold vs Vince. Also I wonder what new age showcase they are thinking about?

I remember a few weeks back audio leaking from JR and the King's recording session, if I'm remembering the content correctly we're getting some untapped territory with Austin's early years as they were calling a point when Shawn and Austin were the tag champs together around May or June of '97 I don't recall seeing that era of Shawn or Austin's careers ever being touched in the video games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 51 BDKiiing @ 07/07/15 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredo5020
I'm pretty sure Finn Balor was spit in the ocean when this descion was made

You must not follow much wrestling.

# 52 jcmreds @ 07/07/15 03:08 PM
I'm going to be perfectly honest as long as Sasha Banks is in I'm buying this day one.

# 53 King_B_Mack @ 07/07/15 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmreds
I'm going to be perfectly honest as long as Sasha Banks is in I'm buying this day one.

I feel like we've already seen a leak or some kind of confirmation from her or somebody else that she's in, but I can't remember.

# 54 BDKiiing @ 07/07/15 03:27 PM
Quote:
I feel like we've already seen a leak or some kind of confirmation from her or somebody else that she's in, but I can't remember.

I think she just tweeted that she was scanned in for the game.

# 55 Agatorfan @ 07/07/15 03:33 PM
Aw man I was hoping for a 3 man shield cover. Now that would be awesome

# 56 spidertour02 @ 07/07/15 03:34 PM
Quote:
I remember a few weeks back audio leaking from JR and the King's recording session, if I'm remembering the content correctly we're getting some untapped territory with Austin's early years as they were calling a point when Shawn and Austin were the tag champs together around May or June of '97 I don't recall seeing that era of Shawn or Austin's careers ever being touched in the video games.

I assumed that the Stone Cold thing would be like the Path of the Warrior DLC for 2K15 on steroids -- a "greatest hits" retelling of his career, focusing on most of the big matches. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Stunning Steve Austin with his long hair at the start.

# 57 countryboy @ 07/07/15 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
/

Going off the Wikipedia page, I count 67 active main roster Superstars and Divas. NXT has 36 active Superstars and Divas.

That's 103 right there. I doubt we get all of them, because you can probably list at least a dozen wrestlers who need to be in a Stone Cold showcase for it to be effective, then probably at least a dozen more usual suspects, then a handful of deeper cut / only-in-this-game guys.

Ok so if they use the entire current roster that people are wanting, then that leaves 17 spots for Legends. I can deal with that.

# 58 GQVikesFan @ 07/07/15 07:33 PM
Hopefully this means we get another retro DX Shawn Michaels on the roster. WrestleMania 14 Shawn Michaels vs Stone Cold!

# 59 Trent Booty @ 07/08/15 02:52 AM
I think the showcase should be, like someone else said, like the Path of the Warrior), with SCSA's whole career being played through. Would be awesome. Things like adding special referee matches for the Lesnar/Goldberg match would be great additions to the game.

# 60 Sheba2011 @ 07/08/15 11:23 AM
I would love to see WWE games each year, one with the current stars and one that is exclusively to a different era (80's-90's, attitude era etc).

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.