Home
Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR News Post

The Rory McIlroy PGA Tour download on EA Access is now available. You will have 10 hours of gameplay time before the game 'locks', forcing you to buy the full version.

Be sure to post your impressions of the game, and share your videos and screenshots!

For those of you not getting the game tonight, Chase Becotte is capturing footage for Operation Sports. Let him know in this thread if there's something in particular you want to see! You should start to see videos on the site tomorrow.

Game: Rory McIlroy PGA TOURReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 12 - View All
Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Videos
Member Comments
# 81 DivotMaker @ 07/08/15 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman
Did anyone get the opportunity to check the number of events in a Season?
I have not found a way to access the calendar yet....

# 82 DivotMaker @ 07/08/15 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHammer113
I want weather. badly. Maybe an update?
I've had all sorts of different times of day with clear and partly cloudy as well as overcast....

# 83 DivotMaker @ 07/08/15 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishepa
Looking at Pastapadre twitch stream the game is gorgeous. I will probably buy it on looks alone. Seems as the gameplay is a mixed bag right now. Looking forward to hearing more sim impressions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Custom mode using the hardest settings is really tough. No swing is the same and tempo so far has been a huge factor IMO....

# 84 ajs41072 @ 07/08/15 10:49 PM
can't login into the EA servers. Is there no online play on the EA Access version, or is it just the EA servers are down.

# 85 ajs41072 @ 07/08/15 10:51 PM
edit my comment above, i had to go to online tournament and then it signed into the EA Servers. Kept getting a retry message when trying to connect when pressing Y

# 86 kehlis @ 07/08/15 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
Custom mode using the hardest settings is really tough. No swing is the same and tempo so far has been a huge factor IMO....
Are you missing shots left and right? Most of the impressions I've seen involve mainly long or short.

# 87 OnlookerDelay @ 07/08/15 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
Anything but depressed here....still way too early to determine anything....and the game is drop dead gorgeous on Xbox. frame rates are buttery smooth here.
I'm warming up to it a little more with more play and honestly, I think the Wetlands course looks better than Sawgrass. I'm delighted that it's a fictitious course by EA Sports can be realistic.... nice job on The Wetlands! I think I was expecting something that felt a little more fluid in the swing interface (I'm playing Tour Pro). I wish the putting interface made me go more on my own feel, but so far, I'm finding I have to get too much information from the feedback meter.

The game has an organic look, and I like that part of it, but it's grainier than I thought it would be, even under the darker lighting conditions that were present in rounds three and four of the web.com event at The Wetlands. I can't say for sure, but it looks like the resolution is at best, 900p. I wouldn't classify my reaction to the frame rate as buttery smooth, but it's better than what I get on most courses on the XB1 version of The Golf Club. I can say that it doesn't feel as smooth as the swing interface on the PC version of The Golf Club, where I play with frame rates averaging in the mid 40's.

I'm hoping this game will grow on me more as I explore it further, but so far, it doesn't impress me as profoundly as I expected from a AAA next-gen golf game. I've still got a lot to explore with it though, so I'm not about to make any enduring pronouncements about it yet. I will be curious to see how the PS4 version compares to this though... I've got a sneaking suspicion that it will be sporting 180 more scan lines than the XB1 version, based on industry trends. I bet my 10 hours of EA Access time will expire before I have a definitive opinion about it though

# 88 OnlookerDelay @ 07/08/15 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineseaplane
Doesn't the sun "wash things out" in real life too?
I thought it looked pretty realistic in that regard, no?
It does and that's a good point. I've never seen a golf game with this degree of sun washout and I guess that's why I'm a bit taken aback by it. I have now seen lower and darker lighting conditions that looked more familiar. I still can't quite get over the "graininess" that I'm seeing so often though; I wasn't expecting that. It's odd because even with the graininess, the graphics still look "organic"

# 89 Gossennator @ 07/08/15 11:10 PM
First thing that bothered me that wasn't gameplay related was the zoom camera. No pan zoom or anything feels really cheap. If you make a birdie, your golfer will celebrate like he just won The Masters; This gets old quick.

As far as gameplay, driving and putting is way too easy. I can see Tour Mode getting old real quick once you reach a certain OVR. This seems like a great multiplayer game though. Looking forward to some OS online tournaments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 90 rheller @ 07/08/15 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Are you missing shots left and right? Most of the impressions I've seen involve mainly long or short.
Currently playing Tour mode...Game hasn't finished downloading, so I haven't been able to change settings.

I've played 14 holes at Chambers Bay and have hit many shots right and left. (I'm not really used to using my left stick for the swing. I used my right stick for TW14 and TGC) The one thing that scares me (and I hope I can change it in the settings) is the fact that one shot went way left and I ended up on a severe slope. The ball was below my feet, so the natural thing should be for the ball to go right on my next shot. I left the aiming marker straight at the pin and swung regularly and the ball went straight for the pin. I hope "Lie Effect" that CAMPBLACKMAMBA24 showed changes that...

# 91 mykull85 @ 07/08/15 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMPBLACKMAMBA24
Hate the putting. Not sure how to put it but for me it feels goofy. No feel whatsoever

Even after 5 holes on Tour mode

Game just seems so scaled back from previous versions

Game looks amazing that's for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't agree with you more. The took the feel away from putting. You no long control how hard you hit your put with the stick, instead you are locked in to how you setup the cursor pre-put. Completely kills the feel of puts for me. Really like the game otherwise.

# 92 sroz39 @ 07/08/15 11:17 PM
Quote:
This is probably what I'm most curious about. If I had one issue with TW 13&14, it was how overpowered the tempo of the swing was on the overall quality of the swing. There was times I was short of greens by 20 or 30 yards and that is just not realistic. Tour guys miss left and right with their irons and wedges but when it comes to depth, they're usually missing the right tier of a green or missing by 5ish yards into a greenside bunker...not by two club lengths.

I remember reading an interview a while back, Johnny Miller said when he was on, he knew the difference between hitting it 145 and 146. I haven't gotten that feeling from a TW game and especially the last two. Make me miss more left and right, and I'll be a happy camper.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

# 93 mike24forever @ 07/08/15 11:24 PM
Quote:
Using analog swing, you will not miss left or right...maybe if you try a fade or a draw, but a straight swing...you will never miss right or left. Misses will come from being too short or too long. I wish they provided an accuracy slider.

Putting is horrible in this game. The back swing is too short and it does not flow. Chipping is too easy. If hit way too many pins already. I guess I should state I'm playing on Tour Difficulty.

I think this game is beautiful, but 4 hours of game play and I'm disappointed in the difficulty level of the game. When player skill increases and players distance increases and you can unlock "real clubs" (I want my TaylorMade clubs, play with R15 and rsi 1's in real life and want to play with them in this game), lower scoring is going to be out of hand. I absolutely loved TW13-14 and I was always amazed at the guys in the Bushwood Tour that went really low on the difficulty settings we played on, and unfortunately I think I'll be scoring like that to.

At no time playing so far have I been worried about missing left or right. Everything is down the pipe. I wish my real life swing was the same.

# 94 Thadeus @ 07/08/15 11:26 PM
I am having the most bizarre experience in my 20 years of gaming. At the title screen where it asks you to push any button, I press a and the game never starts. It pans around the course half focused. I restarted the xbox twice, same thing. Absolutely bizarre.

# 95 DivotMaker @ 07/08/15 11:28 PM
Quote:
It's pretty straight....but I have had two drives end up in the trees/heavy rough. I would like to see a bit more mis hit penalty, but what I'm noticing so far is that the game is getting more challenging as my XP and attributes are increasing, which is the opposite of previous Tiger titles. IMO, it is WAY too early to determine how challenging this game will be or can get. Also hearing Custom 3-Click is really tough as well.

# 96 DivotMaker @ 07/08/15 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheller
Currently playing Tour mode...Game hasn't finished downloading, so I haven't been able to change settings.

I've played 14 holes at Chambers Bay and have hit many shots right and left. (I'm not really used to using my left stick for the swing. I used my right stick for TW14 and TGC) The one thing that scares me (and I hope I can change it in the settings) is the fact that one shot went way left and I ended up on a severe slope. The ball was below my feet, so the natural thing should be for the ball to go right on my next shot. I left the aiming marker straight at the pin and swung regularly and the ball went straight for the pin. I hope "Lie Effect" that CAMPBLACKMAMBA24 showed changes that...
Lie effect is pronounced on Advanced setting in Custom.

# 97 Jet Sufferer @ 07/08/15 11:34 PM
OK, got about 3 hours in. Background: Real life my handicap is always around 0 sometimes better, sometimes worse. Tiger 13 and 14 were my most played games of any games I own. Big fan of 13, huge fan of 14.

Sim wise this game is a step backwards, REALLY sad that the second ball isn't there for the impact. Bad lies made it difficult to keep the cursor on the ball and made game much more sim, also how far behind you the ball you wanted to hit bunker shots, etc. This is the single biggest step backwards in the game, now it's just figure out the percentages like most other golf games.

Put everything on hardest difficulty and after a little practice I just shot 64 at Sawgrass, and I play FAST, I don't grind out the numbers, tap, tap, tap, left and right and up and down for distance and boom I swing. That was with using right stick to swing by the way.

This game is more like 13 than 14, once you figure out the timing for the tee shots, fairways are a given. I was getting slow readings on the backswing, but with time you figure out the timing. 13 was a fairway fest and so is this game. 14 to a lesser extent, which made 14 the better game.

LOVED the short game in 14, this game is MUCH easier. Just aim shorter on the pitches straight back straight through and you're getting up and down like nothing. Bunker shots too, was almost holing out for eagles on par 5's at sawgrass and had tap ins. Already holed a couple chip ins and most others simple tap ins.

The loss of the forced non straight back straight through swing makes it too easy. Of note though using shot shaping seems much harder than past games. You will hit some really wild ones, so haven't mastered that part of it yet like I did with 14. Problem is you rarely need to shape shots.

The only way to make this game hard/sim is to FORCE yourself to shape shots even though you don't need to to go low, and to turn the wind way up and make the course itself hard with rock hard fairways and fast greens. So it is kind of an artificial/forced difficulty spike instead of a more sim out of the box game like 14.

I really wish this game was a continuation of 14, but it's more like 13 or a step back from 13, it's just too easy to paint the up and down swing. Perhaps that's a controller issue or perhaps in future updates EA can add a hyper sensitive setting to make the game harder, or a little more random on the miss hits. Guys, we really need the second ball back and even off the tee, let's say the wind is blowing or it's raining the second cursor should move a little, it's not as easy to hit your tee shots square in real life off the tee when the wind is blowing or it's raining.

If I left all the settings on their hardest and turned off shot shaping and used the automatic shaping and use the up and down swing I'm sure I can get a 59 right away. I'm not far away from a 59 right now on the hardest settings. The learning curve is pretty quick on this game. Putting too, spend a little time and you'll get it. Same concept as short game works pretty well, take 5-6 feet off the put and hit it full and you'll make or leave a little tap in most of the time.

Graphics are nice, commentary good. Just sad that I will have to "rig" the game/give myself artificial house rules to make the game hard. EA was SO CLOSE with 14 to giving us a great sim. Let's hope future updates will help the game move in the direction I and I assume you other sim golfers want the game to be.

Will I buy the game? Of course, and all the DLC like I always do, don't get me wrong the game is fun, but I think I just gave you a good overview of what the game is right now in it's current state.

# 98 mike24forever @ 07/08/15 11:35 PM
3 click shots maybe be the way I have to play this game. I love it for Hot Shots, hopefully it will add to the difficulty and lead to some errant drives and approach shots.

# 99 DivotMaker @ 07/08/15 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykull85
I can't agree with you more. The took the feel away from putting. You no long control how hard you hit your put with the stick, instead you are locked in to how you setup the cursor pre-put. Completely kills the feel of puts for me. Really like the game otherwise.
It feels that way because it is a 171 foot putter, not graduated putter distances like past TW games. Play it some more with the idea that your putter can strike a ball 171 feet and a 10' putt has a very short takeaway like IRL putting and unlike previous Tiger games.....IMO.

# 100 mike24forever @ 07/08/15 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Sufferer
OK, got about 3 hours in. Background: Real life my handicap is always around 0 sometimes better, sometimes worse. Tiger 13 and 14 were my most played games of any games I own. Big fan of 13, huge fan of 14.

Sim wise this game is a step backwards, REALLY sad that the second ball isn't there for the impact. Bad lies made it difficult to keep the cursor on the ball and made game much more sim, also how far behind you the ball you wanted to hit bunker shots, etc. This is the single biggest step backwards in the game, now it's just figure out the percentages like most other golf games.

Put everything on hardest difficulty and after a little practice I just shot 64 at Sawgrass, and I play FAST, I don't grind out the numbers, tap, tap, tap, left and right and up and down for distance and boom I swing. That was with using right stick to swing by the way.

This game is more like 13 than 14, once you figure out the timing for the tee shots, fairways are a given. I was getting slow readings on the backswing, but with time you figure out the timing. 13 was a fairway fest and so is this game. 14 to a lesser extent, which made 14 the better game.

LOVED the short game in 14, this game is MUCH easier. Just aim shorter on the pitches straight back straight through and you're getting up and down like nothing. Bunker shots too, was almost holing out for eagles on par 5's at sawgrass and had tap ins. Already holed a couple chip ins and most others simple tap ins.

The loss of the forced non straight back straight through swing makes it too easy. Of note though using shot shaping seems much harder than past games. You will hit some really wild ones, so haven't mastered that part of it yet like I did with 14. Problem is you rarely need to shape shots.

The only way to make this game hard/sim is to FORCE yourself to shape shots even though you don't need to to go low, and to turn the wind way up and make the course itself hard with rock hard fairways and fast greens. So it is kind of an artificial/forced difficulty spike instead of a more sim out of the box game like 14.

I really wish this game was a continuation of 14, but it's more like 13 or a step back from 13, it's just too easy to paint the up and down swing. Perhaps that's a controller issue or perhaps in future updates EA can add a hyper sensitive setting to make the game harder, or a little more random on the mi****s. Guys, we really need the second ball back and even off the tee, let's say the wind is blowing or it's raining the second cursor should move a little, it's not as easy to hit your tee shots square in real life off the tee when the wind is blowing or it's raining.

If I left all the settings on their hardest and turned off shot shaping and used the automatic shaping and use the up and down swing I'm sure I can get a 59 right away. I'm not far away from a 59 right now on the hardest settings. The learning curve is pretty quick on this game. Putting too, spend a little time and you'll get it. Same concept as short game works pretty well, take 5-6 feet off the put and hit it full and you'll make or leave a little tap in most of the time.

Graphics are nice, commentary good. Just sad that I will have to "rig" the game/give myself artificial house rules to make the game hard. EA was SO CLOSE with 14 to giving us a great sim. Let's hope future updates will help the game move in the direction I and I assume you other sim golfers want the game to be.

Will I buy the game? Of course, and all the DLC like I always do, don't get me wrong the game is fun, but I think I just gave you a good overview of what the game is right now in it's current state.
This is most on point impression I've read so far and it sums up my feeling exactly. Removing the second ball aiming is a HUGE step backwards.

My real life Index is 18.2 and I've played 45 rounds since April 28. I suck in real life and would like to suck a bit more in this game.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.