Home
Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR News Post

Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR is available today for Xbox One and PlayStation 4. We wanted to open a new discussion for those of you that didn't get a chance to try out the EA Access trial.

Get in a few rounds and post your impressions.

For those of you that have missed out on the recent news about the game, we've highlighted some of them below.For more news and media on the game, check out the Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR page.

Game: Rory McIlroy PGA TOURReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 12 - View All
Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Videos
Member Comments
# 661 SinisterAlex @ 02/04/18 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
This is a damn great games for that price. Too bad it feels so incomplete. I thin the gameplay and looks are the best in the category.

It's a shame EA can't see fit to finish this game for a new release.
Ya pretty much why I bought it. For $6.49 I can look past all it's faults and short comings. But it is a real shame how EA treated this game.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

# 662 DivotMaker @ 02/05/18 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
This is a damn great games for that price. Too bad it feels so incomplete. I thin the gameplay and looks are the best in the category.

It's a shame EA can't see fit to finish this game for a new release.
EA has exited the Golf video game marketplace for the foreseeable future.....according to numerous sources and even their own Quarterly Reports....

# 663 Pompeo89 @ 02/25/18 04:17 AM
How is there not a licensed PGA game? Come on EA

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

# 664 Jojiman @ 03/07/18 01:17 PM
As I sit here in CT, dreaming of hitting the links, I come to the realization that we are getting hit with 12-18" of snow from a late winter Nor'Easter. UGH! Playing actual golf is now postponed for a little bit. The only thing I can do is play video game golf. Never played the Golf Club, but am a fan of the PGA series. My question is, does EA still own the license? If yes, any word on a new release? Love using licensed golfers like DJ, Spieth, Rory, etc. Also, like the real life PGA courses. Don't know why with the power of the PS4, they can't mimic the actual PGA Tour season and include more than 12 PGA pros. Contacted EA and no response back. They should just give up the license and let someone else take the license. They were headed on the right track, with adding galleries, to mirror actual tournaments. However, the announcers were dreadful and the feel of the PGA was not all there. They had dumb celebrations and the commentary was repetitive and not good. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

# 665 scagwi @ 03/07/18 02:41 PM
@jojiman:

I think conventional wisdom is that EA is done with golf for the foreseeable future as they would seem to think it is perhaps too small or narrow a market for the way they like to do things (big budget - mainstream - etc).

I honestly just fired up TW14 PS3 (I have *all* the DLC too) and it's so depressing to see where the series should be right now vs where it is (dead).

That game was absolutely feature packed

I had a ton of fun playing several rounds and I may keep at it. I just wish it had even better graphics at this point (since it's 5-ish years old now and on PS3).

There was so much potential. I don't know why they had to trash can everything and go how they did with Rory.

The TGC series so far hasn't done much for me as they don't have true real course recreations (fully - with all the right look and buildings, etc) and it makes it hard to be fun for me. I like real courses (that look correct, not just the layout) and would like to be able to do a career/season on the Tour, etc.

There was a whole spectrum of fun that only EA was covering with their licenses and the likenesses and the budgets they have and so forth.

There is hope that TGC 2019 coming later this year is finally going to try to address the real course situation in a more meaningful way, but HB Studios always does a lot of talking - not always backed up with results, for various reasons - so I will remain optimistic, but somewhat skeptical until I see some examples of their upcoming Real Course Recreations, meant to be paid DLC. Being paid DLC means they have a high bar to hit for looks/quality/etc.

# 666 mrsaito @ 03/07/18 04:49 PM
sgagwi - I also have TW14 with DLC and agree that it's awesome. However after playing RM I just can't stomach the load times between holes.

I'm generally not of the ilk that the PGA Tour won't survive without Tiger Woods but it seems pretty clear that without his star power the golf series is dead.

Oh, and RM is a pretty good game in it's own right with all of the patches. The scope of the content is on par with some of the earlier TW games circa 2007 or 2008.

# 667 scagwi @ 03/07/18 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsaito
sgagwi - I also have TW14 with DLC and agree that it's awesome. However after playing RM I just can't stomach the load times between holes.

I'm generally not of the ilk that the PGA Tour won't survive without Tiger Woods but it seems pretty clear that without his star power the golf series is dead.

The load times bother you that much?

Honestly I barely noticed them as I was always checking the leaderboard or whatever got put up on screen for the 6-10sec or so of loading..

In any case - I'm just glad to have the full DLC TW14.
Like NCAA Football 14, it may become a super rare and coveted classic...

Hell - To your point, there may never again be a mainstream, mega-licensed, full of features and Pro golfers big budget Golf game release. Rory doesn't count to me - way too much missing

# 668 kehlis @ 03/07/18 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojiman
As I sit here in CT, dreaming of hitting the links, I come to the realization that we are getting hit with 12-18" of snow from a late winter Nor'Easter. UGH! Playing actual golf is now postponed for a little bit. The only thing I can do is play video game golf. Never played the Golf Club, but am a fan of the PGA series. My question is, does EA still own the license? If yes, any word on a new release? Love using licensed golfers like DJ, Spieth, Rory, etc. Also, like the real life PGA courses. Don't know why with the power of the PS4, they can't mimic the actual PGA Tour season and include more than 12 PGA pros. Contacted EA and no response back. They should just give up the license and let someone else take the license. They were headed on the right track, with adding galleries, to mirror actual tournaments. However, the announcers were dreadful and the feel of the PGA was not all there. They had dumb celebrations and the commentary was repetitive and not good. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!
Check out the post made just two posts above yours.

# 669 Turbojugend @ 03/07/18 07:56 PM
Agree with scagwi, TW14 + DLC was just incredible. I don't think I've played a better/more enjoyable game of video golf.

# 670 DivotMaker @ 03/08/18 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scagwi
@jojiman:

I think conventional wisdom is that EA is done with golf for the foreseeable future as they would seem to think it is perhaps too small or narrow a market for the way they like to do things (big budget - mainstream - etc).

I honestly just fired up TW14 PS3 (I have *all* the DLC too) and it's so depressing to see where the series should be right now vs where it is (dead).

That game was absolutely feature packed

I had a ton of fun playing several rounds and I may keep at it. I just wish it had even better graphics at this point (since it's 5-ish years old now and on PS3).

There was so much potential. I don't know why they had to trash can everything and go how they did with Rory.

The TGC series so far hasn't done much for me as they don't have true real course recreations (fully - with all the right look and buildings, etc) and it makes it hard to be fun for me. I like real courses (that look correct, not just the layout) and would like to be able to do a career/season on the Tour, etc.

There was a whole spectrum of fun that only EA was covering with their licenses and the likenesses and the budgets they have and so forth.

There is hope that TGC 2019 coming later this year is finally going to try to address the real course situation in a more meaningful way, but HB Studios always does a lot of talking - not always backed up with results, for various reasons - so I will remain optimistic, but somewhat skeptical until I see some examples of their upcoming Real Course Recreations, meant to be paid DLC. Being paid DLC means they have a high bar to hit for looks/quality/etc.
Three big reasons:

1) The Tiger engine dated back to TW '06 and was literally a house of cards, very difficult to program for after years of add on code bloat.

2) EA needed to move Golf to a new engine for PS4 and X1. Enter Frostbite3.

3) Sometime during the end of TW14 development and launch of RM, EA decided not to put too much content into RM due to lackluster sales of TW14 (720K copies). IF RM had flown off the shelves, the plan was to bolster it with more content to someday get back to the content of TW14, but they learned during RM development that rebuilding all of the content from the old TW engine was extremely resource intensive and time consuming. EA simply did not see a positive ROI for Golf as RM sold just north of 800K units, so they left the Golf video game market for the foreseeable future. RM can be found for under $10 or is fee to EA Access users. What a sad ending for a once proud franchise.

# 671 DJ @ 03/08/18 11:33 AM
For those that are still playing, what swing mechanic are you using? I've been on the 3-click for a bit and with the right settings, it's pretty challenging.

# 672 scagwi @ 03/08/18 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
What a sad ending for a once proud franchise.
A truly great summary divotmaker.

I have more gameplay hours in the Tiger golf series than anything else and it's just hard to believe it's over.

# 673 jbd345 @ 03/08/18 12:40 PM
I said it at the very beginning. It was a mistake to put Rory’s name on it should’ve just left it as pga tour golf, or pga tour 16. Before the game sold on just on tigers name alone. Rory didn’t have that. Really would like too see this franchise come back someday. But not have a single player tied to it.

# 674 scagwi @ 03/08/18 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbd345
I said it at the very beginning. It was a mistake to put Rory’s name on it should’ve just left it as pga tour golf, or pga tour 16. Before the game sold on just on tigers name alone. Rory didn’t have that. Really would like too see this franchise come back someday. But not have a single player tied to it.
I totally agree. Don't get so hamstrung by one player. Why not use the madden cover approach to put a "hot player at the time" on the cover of PGA Tour Golf 20XX whenever there is a new release (not even annually needed).

Heck - make "adding Pro's" DLC in itself. And/or allow roster sharing/editing, etc.

They have a good core w the Rory game - They'd already built it. I just can't believe there's no business to be had by expanding on it, even if it has to be slow developing and mostly DLC and paid feature updates over time.

It's really frustrating as only the EA games have nicely replicated the PGA career and progression mode of play, which I find to be a lot of fun.

# 675 donkey33 @ 03/10/18 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojugend
Agree with scagwi, TW14 + DLC was just incredible. I don't think I've played a better/more enjoyable game of video golf.
Agree.

Was just too late to the party and can't get the DLC anymore

# 676 Pompeo89 @ 03/11/18 05:03 AM
I would pay for golfers, equipment, courses, tournaments, etc. Take my money EA, bring back Tiger Woods and NCAA that’s all we want. At least remaster the old games why can’t they do that? Even if we could just play those games on the PS4 with quicker load times I agree it’s unbearable when you go back to play on the PS3 I finally traded mine in along with my copy of ncaa sad day

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

# 677 Alfie @ 03/12/18 01:53 PM
Quote:
I totally agree. Don't get so hamstrung by one player. Why not use the madden cover approach to put a "hot player at the time" on the cover of PGA Tour Golf 20XX whenever there is a new release (not even annually needed).

Heck - make "adding Pro's" DLC in itself. And/or allow roster sharing/editing, etc.

They have a good core w the Rory game - They'd already built it. I just can't believe there's no business to be had by expanding on it, even if it has to be slow developing and mostly DLC and paid feature updates over time.

It's really frustrating as only the EA games have nicely replicated the PGA career and progression mode of play, which I find to be a lot of fun.
IMO EA messed up by not continuing with the "Tiger Woods' brand a la Madden in NFL. Tiger Woods has brand recognition and draws in people. EA should've continued with his name on the title instead of Rory's and maybe EA can go back to calling the series "Tiger Woods" if they ever venture back into golf.

# 678 scagwi @ 03/12/18 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie
IMO EA messed up by not continuing with the "Tiger Woods' brand a la Madden in NFL. Tiger Woods has brand recognition and draws in people. EA should've continued with his name on the title instead of Rory's and maybe EA can go back to calling the series "Tiger Woods" if they ever venture back into golf.
I agree. I do wonder though...
Maybe Tiger himself didn't want to continue with it?
Or perhaps he became too expensive to justify and he wasn't willing to flex?

Anyone know that angle on it?

# 679 DivotMaker @ 03/12/18 02:54 PM
Quote:
I agree. I do wonder though...
Maybe Tiger himself didn't want to continue with it?
Or perhaps he became too expensive to justify and he wasn't willing to flex?

Anyone know that angle on it?
EA parted ways with Tiger and was looking for a way out after his infidelities came to light and as such so did his game IRL, then the injuries, etc.

# 680 scagwi @ 03/12/18 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
EA parted ways with Tiger and was looking for a way out after his infidelities came to light and as such so did his game IRL, then the injuries, etc.

Wow - That first part is pretty amazing given how they have no such moral character when working to court Floyd Mayweather left and right for UFC & Fight Night releases.

That guy makes dirt look clean.. (and basically always have)

It's also amazing, because you sure hear plenty of stories about the wild antics of golf pros. Many times I've heard it said that nobody parties and hooks up quite like golf pros and hockey players.

Using that as a rationale with Tiger is pretty selective if we're being honest.
Sounds like an excuse to deal with falling sales maybe too..

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.