Home
Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR News Post

Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR is available today for Xbox One and PlayStation 4. We wanted to open a new discussion for those of you that didn't get a chance to try out the EA Access trial.

Get in a few rounds and post your impressions.

For those of you that have missed out on the recent news about the game, we've highlighted some of them below.For more news and media on the game, check out the Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR page.

Game: Rory McIlroy PGA TOURReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 12 - View All
Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Videos
Member Comments
# 101 BagMan @ 07/14/15 05:45 PM
While this game has potential, it is not good.

Aside from the lack of content that everyone mentioned, here are my issues with gameplay:
-I can't see the ball using the pro camera. I went back to TW12 and the True Aim camera is awesome. It zooms toward the ball as it's in flight and makes me feel like I hit a golf ball
-It's way too easy to hit the ball straight.
-Putting feel is awful and the green meter is a big distraction. I feel like I'm playing a game of "don't let the circle turn red", not golf
-The golfer post shot animations are terrible and unrealistic

Also, I'm not sure I see the benefit of having the entire course loaded at once. My rounds aren't any quicker and I can't hit it far enough off line to be in a position to play the ball from another fairway. Wouldn't it be better to load one hole at a time and provide better graphics on each hole?

I waited a long time for this game, but I won't be holding my breath for EA to patch this mess into a legitimate next-gen game.

I'm so disappointed that I went and bought TW13 for x360 since I didn't spend much time with that game.

# 102 Gerg04 @ 07/14/15 05:56 PM
Sorry but I can't find it, I know I read it somewhere but can't locate it.

How do we turn off quick play when we start our Pro?

# 103 VTKombat @ 07/14/15 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg04
Sorry but I can't find it, I know I read it somewhere but can't locate it.

How do we turn off quick play when we start our Pro?

It's in a weird spot. Click the second tab from your pro's main menu. It's called career history. Once in there, look down at the bottom right and you will see Round Type. Change it from quick to full.

# 104 VTKombat @ 07/14/15 06:13 PM
For those that are saying it's too easy, are you playing with a Pro or a low attribute created character? I'm not the best golfer out there but I've played a bunch over the years and I find some rounds to be quite tricky. I went from one tournament where I was in contention for the win, finishing in second, only to miss the cut at TPC Boston because the wind was averaging 9 mph and I mis hit a couple drives. To hear all these people say its too easy is making me wonder what i'm doing wrong :P

# 105 Gerg04 @ 07/14/15 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTKombat
It's in a weird spot. Click the second tab from your pro's main menu. It's called career history. Once in there, look down at the bottom right and you will see Round Type. Change it from quick to full.
Thanks man. Certainly is an odd spot considering there's actually settings in history tab. EA continues to baffle me haha
Quote:
For those that are saying it's too easy, are you playing with a Pro or a low attribute created character? I'm not the best golfer out there but I've played a bunch over the years and I find some rounds to be quite tricky. I went from one tournament where I was in contention for the win, finishing in second, only to miss the cut at TPC Boston because the wind was averaging 9 mph and I mis hit a couple drives. To hear all these people say its too easy is making me wonder what i'm doing wrong [emoji14]
I agree. Turned everything up from the start and it's a nice challenge. Albeit I've only been playing a half hour or so. I am enjoying it however. Hope EA comes through with more content / tweaks.

My biggest gripe is everything seems rushed as far as the swing and ball mechanic. Everything is so fast. To top it off, we have to be especially fast on the downswing to make "proper "contact according to the game. Wish the swing was slower and more fluid.

# 106 frankstallone83 @ 07/14/15 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort22
also on iron shots do you really just adjust your yardage and swing...isnt there any in between club distances?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
Yes there is....
I know it says there is if you use advance swing but is there really (in a useful way)? The backswing is so fast and twitchy you'd be hard pressed to accurately get a three quarter swing or whatever you're attempting. Also, there's no point in doing so because you can just aim and take a full swing and let the game automatically apply the touch for you pre-swing.

This is what drives me nuts about the game and leaves me with very little hope for its future. I loved watching your golfer's backswing and trying to get that perfect 73.5% swing...now you just aim, take the exact same swing motion on every turn and watch a little green ball. Does anyone here enjoy watching a little green ball meter in the middle of the screen more than the actual golfer?

# 107 brandon27 @ 07/14/15 06:19 PM
Quote:
For those that are saying it's too easy, are you playing with a Pro or a low attribute created character? I'm not the best golfer out there but I've played a bunch over the years and I find some rounds to be quite tricky. I went from one tournament where I was in contention for the win, finishing in second, only to miss the cut at TPC Boston because the wind was averaging 9 mph and I mis hit a couple drives. To hear all these people say its too easy is making me wonder what i'm doing wrong :P

Agreed. My first round at Wolf Creek (in career, it appears to be The Masters"), the winds were about 10-12mph all round, plus the elevation changes there, man... did I ever miss fairways and greens, and such.

The comments from some (not all) saying its too easy makes me wonder what difficulty settings they are using really. Ive seen some videos of people complaining its too easy, and they've got the aiming arc on... well... no kidding it's easy, its setting up your shot for you, just swing away.

# 108 Klocker @ 07/14/15 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankstallone83
I know it says there is if you use advance swing but is there really (in a useful way)? The backswing is so fast and twitchy you'd be hard pressed to accurately get a three quarter swing or whatever you're attempting. Also, there's no point in doing so because you can just aim and take a full swing and let the game automatically apply the touch for you pre-swing.

This is what drives me nuts about the game and leaves me with very little hope for its future. I loved watching your golfer's backswing and trying to get that perfect 73.5% swing...now you just aim, take the exact same swing motion on every turn and watch a little green ball. Does anyone here enjoy watching a little green ball meter in the middle of the screen more than the actual golfer?

It is a little quick and twitchy yes but if you hit X button once (Xbox) it changes the preset swing length to Full. From there you can adjust trajectory, shot shape and direction and then use your backswing to get the correct distance.. not super easy by any means (especially with shot shape on) but man is it rewarding when you pull it off. When you don't pull it off you are in places on the course that we rarely see on TW games and is a chance to make recovery shots.

Edit: and try to ignore the green ball . they need to give us the option to turn that off as well as turn off auto club and swing selection. And improve flop shot animations.

# 109 DivotMaker @ 07/14/15 06:59 PM
Quote:

I am having no issues with touch shots and watch your Golfer animation, not the green ball.

# 110 DivotMaker @ 07/14/15 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klocker
It is a little quick and twitchy yes but if you hit X button once (Xbox) it changes the preset swing length to Full. From there you can adjust trajectory, shot shape and direction and then use your backswing to get the correct distance.. not super easy by any means (especially with shot shape on) but man is it rewarding when you pull it off.

Edit: and try to ignore the green ball . they need to give us the option to turn that off.
And this too....

# 111 Garrett67 @ 07/14/15 07:23 PM
Note: I'm playing with Rory. So, the shots seems easy overall.

The first round that I played (on Tour difficulty at Whistling Straits) was +2.
Not much of a challenge but I was using Rory after all. I imagine it would be pretty hard using my player.

Compared to TGC, its nice to have crowds.

The short game can be pretty tough. I don't know if its because I'm use to TGC's feel or I'm just not use to trying to figure out how hard I'm hitting.

The commentary is good. I've heard reference to previous holes. I can't say how often lines are repeated though. (at the end of the round, I did hear a few things repeated)

Overall, it feels pretty good. I'm not a TW pro or anything and haven't played it much in years but this feels good, minus the putting. That might just be me not understanding the meter.

I think its a pretty good game. The real test will be when my Early access time runs out and if I miss it afterward.

Dislikes: The shimmering grass, like I said above

Putting is weird for me. You just kinda pull back and swing. It just figures out the right power I guess because there is zero feel to it.

Grass seems too bright to me.

I hate that depth of field. The graphics looks nice but they're not that great
. If you look closely, the players have a halo around them.

Not enough courses. Again comparing to TGC, 8 or 9 courses vs 1000's will get boring quickly.

# 112 frankstallone83 @ 07/14/15 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klocker
It is a little quick and twitchy yes but if you hit X button once (Xbox) it changes the preset swing length to Full. From there you can adjust trajectory, shot shape and direction and then use your backswing to get the correct distance.. not super easy by any means (especially with shot shape on) but man is it rewarding when you pull it off. When you don't pull it off you are in places on the course that we rarely see on TW games and is a chance to make recovery shots.

Edit: and try to ignore the green ball . they need to give us the option to turn that off as well as turn off auto club and swing selection. And improve flop shot animations.
Cool, thanks. Still seems pointless since letting it auto apply touch is so much easier (as far as distance is concerned) might as well work on that if you plan on playing online and want to win.

You're definitely right about those extra options. Think I'll just wait until this game is in the EA access vault, they'll probably have a few good patches by then.

# 113 frankstallone83 @ 07/14/15 07:37 PM
Quote:
I am having no issues with touch shots and watch your Golfer animation, not the green ball.
That may be true but it's nothing like classic tiger, it's much twitchier. I prefer the older TW games that made me feel like the analog stick was akin to the power meter of classic golf video games; this feels nothing like that imo.

# 114 DivotMaker @ 07/14/15 07:39 PM
Quote:
That may be true but it's nothing like classic tiger, it's much twitchier. I prefer the older TW games that made me feel like the analog stick was akin to the power meter of classic golf video games; this feels nothing like that imo.

And classic Tiger games had zero tempo in them....

# 115 Klocker @ 07/14/15 07:50 PM
Quote:
Cool, thanks. Still seems pointless since letting it auto apply touch is so much easier (as far as distance is concerned) might as well work on that if you plan on playing online and want to win.

You're definitely right about those extra options. Think I'll just wait until this game is in the EA access vault, they'll probably have a few good patches by then.
Yea I won't play this online. SP for me only so I can play how feels best for me and hoping they improve career mode. Really digging it.

# 116 frankstallone83 @ 07/14/15 07:57 PM
Quote:
And classic Tiger games had zero tempo in them....
True, I don't play enough real golf to say which way adds more realism I just don't find this swing interface to be as fun as classic tiger. Being able to adjust distance with the aiming arrow preshot lets you post a strong score while using the exact same motion on the analog stick for every swing, it seems boring.

The other preshot touch factors have always been preshot (fade, draw, top/backspin) and that makes sense but adding so much distance control preshot is the wrong decision. Of course that's totally subjective and based on what I think is "fun" about video game golf.

# 117 BDKiiing @ 07/14/15 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps1943
MY KEYBOARD IS BROKEN. CAPS LOCK IS JAMMED, SORRY
Use the shift button to type in lower case, stop yelling.

This game is so bare bones, wow. Putting ****ing sucks. It has no feel like TGC does. In TGC the putter feels heavy and you actually have feel for it. The absolute worst part of Rory is the putting, man it's bad. I'm still mad at the lack of courses/golfers. Hell, Rickie Fowler doesn't even have an orange outfit. This is just frustrating. I hope they have more courses added, damnit. That being said, the presentation is nice, and the game is sexy. But it really feels like a skeleton of a game. Not nearly complete. Lucky for EA, I don't have many PS4 games, so I was a sucker.

# 118 DivotMaker @ 07/14/15 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdolski
Use the shift button to type in lower case, stop yelling.

This game is so bare bones, wow. Putting ****ing sucks. It has no feel like TGC does. In TGC the putter feels heavy and you actually have feel for it. The absolute worst part of Rory is the putting, man it's bad. I'm still mad at the lack of courses/golfers. Hell, Rickie Fowler doesn't even have an orange outfit. This is just frustrating. I hope they have more courses added, damnit. That being said, the presentation is nice, and the game is sexy. But it really feels like a skeleton of a game. Not nearly complete. Lucky for EA, I don't have many PS4 games, so I was a sucker.
Felt the same way about putting at first. After about 15 hours, I have figured it out and it is not bad at all. Could it be improved? Sure! At least it doesn't have the ball fly off the putter head offline left or right randomly like TGC does. If TGC fixed that bug, it would be better than RM, IMO. I will say TGC has better cameras around the green as well. YMMV.....

# 119 DickDalewood @ 07/14/15 08:51 PM
Any more impressions on the 3-click implementation? That's honestly what has me sold on the game. IMO it's still the best way to play golf games, old school or not.

# 120 MUTTS @ 07/14/15 08:57 PM
Exactly what Im waiting for--three click impressions.

What options are there with three click please.

Tony

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.