Home
NHL 16 News Post

The NHL team stated two videos would be available today, and we have now received them. For many folks, this will be their first look at real gameplay in NHL 16.

You can take a look at both videos above (NHL 16 Gameplay Balance Trailer, NHL 16 Overhead Gameplay) and talk about what you like or don't like in each video.

On a personal level, I find the trailer to be more impressive just because you get a closer look at some of the actual improvements up close. In the gameplay video, even with the time stamps provided by EA, it's harder to appreciate some of the new stuff. I am a bit biased though because as someone who has played the game, I have found it's easier to get a feel for these new changes rather than watching them on screen.

Source: NHL 16 - Gameplay Balance (EA Sports)

Game: NHL 16Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
NHL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 bigwill33 @ 07/14/15 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFnotWhyNoT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABfnbDIIREM

I didn't play nhl 12 but did it have NZ pressure coded into the game for CPU? IF not Im confused why it would be a pro tip by EA but not implemented.
I think that was the year that EA/Rammer put in the new formations. I remember him touting the 1-3-1 after Tampa rode it all the way to game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals. He was so proud that teams would "run their authentic formations" and every game would feel different.

But it wasn't implemented very well and most people quickly found the one or two formations that worked best online and versus other humans and just used those all of the time. This trend continues today. Every online vs. or Club game has teams quickly changing their attack and defensive formations to the same thing, because those are seemingly the only combination that works somewhat against human tactics. Or works well enough that the defense would be aggressive and not back off and allow the cheese shots from the high slots all day. People would rather roll the dice on the d missing the hit and the player missing the breakaway than to have soft goals go in all day from above the circles cause the game thinks the defenders are screening the goalie on those floaters.

# 22 Cletus @ 07/14/15 03:39 PM
I'm not sure why forwards are in the zone so much on the forecheck. I like that they have strategies but for the most part every one seems like a 3-2 because the forwards are so aggressive. Goalies look like EA goalies. It would be nice to see them move better, but we've all been playing EA NHL and know what to expect. The d-men use their sticks to knock away passes but don't harass the puck carrier. That doesn't make much sense to me because they want to make team play their mantra for 16. You would think if they made the d-men lax it would be on passes instead.

Outside of all the old snafus that we come to expect and hate, the strafing system sounds nice and the gameplay seems like EANHL. At this point if you've been unhappy with the games of the past, you're not going to be happy with this one.

# 23 aaron777 @ 07/14/15 04:07 PM
Couldn't they just implement a slider for nz pressure . Wouldn't that help the game or would it mess things up ?

# 24 snc237 @ 07/14/15 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron777
Couldn't they just implement a slider for nz pressure . Wouldn't that help the game or would it mess things up ?
I domt know what sliders could do to help. The A.I. In general just needs to be better, however you don't want a situation where the A.I. Can stop everything. I'm sure it's auch harder thing to balance then we all think but it defiantly needs some work.

# 25 bigwill33 @ 07/14/15 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron777
Hard to create a slider to affect something that isn't programmed into the game to begin with.

And by pressure I hope they realize that we don't mean more hits that level players. We mean space that is taken away because a pass may get picked off or deflected, or a puck carrier might get stripped and have the rush go back the other way against them.

Every hockey coach stresses smart hockey and not turning it over in the neutral zone. Always gain the red and get it deep if you have no other option. In EA's NHL you always have other options.

# 26 ddhex27 @ 07/14/15 04:39 PM
Kudos to them for releasing the sizzle real and the gameplay video side by side. Especially considering how underwhelming the actual gameplay clip is.

# 27 nddurst @ 07/14/15 04:51 PM
I'm thinking NHL 16 is going to be a no-go for me this year. It'll be the fourth year in a row I've passed on this game.

I had some pretty high expectations this year, and I must admit EA did make strides to improve some of the things I had issue with. But there are still some glaring legacy issues in the core gameplay that this video confirms still exist. And for me, a mostly offline player, they are huge. And this doesn't even include potential shortfalls of Be A GM mode, which also doesn't have the best track record.

I just don't see myself getting prolonged enjoyment out of this game. Would I enjoy the occasional game against the CPU or a buddy? Sure, could be fun. But that's not enough for me to fork over $60.

As of now, I will not be purchasing this game.

# 28 bad_philanthropy @ 07/14/15 05:03 PM
After a few watches it started to look better. I did see some good things with passing. I would really like to feel what the version of manual passing feels like this year, and how well the assertions of expanded control over chipping pucks off the boards and everything is implemented.

# 29 Caniac94 @ 07/14/15 05:18 PM
I just want to pop back in and mention one thing that I liked.

Trying to focus on some positive here, at least this wasn't a dangle fest video with crap tons of goal scoring and highlight reel moves that EA seemed to think was so important in 15. It was 1-0 in the third period and it looked like a pretty good defensive battle. I liked the sticks in the passing/shooting lanes. I liked the defensive positioning a little better here than it was in 15. The skating does look much improved as well. In fact the improved skating leaves me a little optimistic.

However I still think there needs to be tweaks to how the AI plays defense. bigwill33 mentioned it a couple pages back in this thread, the defence needs to take away space and restrict the ice area that the puck carrier can access. When I play the CPU in a game I'd like to see the CPU skate forward and actually force me to make a quick decision in what I'd like to do with the puck instead of simply skating backwards toward it's own net. When the CPU backs off I could skate in all day to the zone and shoot at net with no problem. With a little pressure from the defenseman I'd actually have to sling the puck around the board or pass it off instead. I WANT to have to do this instead of it being like "Take the puck. Skate into the offensive zone. Shoot puck at goalie."

And please fix the ridiculous goalie saves. Goalies should rarely have to make crazy desperation saves. Keep it simple. End rant.

# 30 Simple Mathematics @ 07/14/15 05:40 PM
The overhead gameplay video showed a bit more sloppy play than last year. I don't like the lack of neutral zone pressure though. Forwards were still skating into the opposing zone with ease and then laying down a deke. Granted, it looked like the deking wasn't very successful, so that's a plus.

Doc showed no excitement in his voice even though the game was in the last minute of regulation.

I really liked the AI intercepting that cross crease garbage. The defensive AI also seemed to disrupt the play and simply get in the way more which is a major positive.

I didn't see a lot of physicality in the video. No board play or jamming in the corners - which you see a ton of in real hockey especially in the closing minutes of play. Power forwards exist in the NHL for a reason, but in the game they're just slow and don't provide that strength advantage.

I think I saw a glimpse of a player dragging his foot to stay onside which is nice. However, I wish there were more occurrences of offsides from aggressive play in the game. I know stoppages in play are bad thing for online players, but it would be more realistic for offline play.

Overall, there were good and bad things about the video. I'd like to see how the game plays out after I throw the revamped rosters in there.

# 31 ericromain @ 07/14/15 06:46 PM
I liked the balance video. The footage looked cool, but i think the seemless passes are something that I'll have to feel to understand and form an opinion. Can't wait for september.

# 32 actionhank @ 07/14/15 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscosuper
Hmm... Anaheim was cpu controlled, correct? They were trailing late in this game and that is when the cpu presses the most (adjusts its strategies to do so). So, if that is the adjustment that will yield the most amount of pressure from the cpu, offline BaGM could be the same as always; a bit of a snooze-fest.

Maybe this isn't the case here (I doubt it), but they did state Allstar-Hardcore; maybe Superstar will have different results, but past iterations tells us that probably won't be the case.

I'd like to be optimistic, and I wish they would give us a level and a setting for a more sophisticated style of play, but I don't know, I don't think we're getting it this year.
If the defense hasn't changed in regards to the AI playing when their net is (or should be) empty, then more aggressive play by the CPU won't matter much.

I always hated that the AI didn't play any differently when they're down by a goal, with a minute to tie it up. Same entrance into the zone, same lazy play setup, no passing from man to man, trying to move the defense and goalie. No trying to get it to your best shooter, or hell, even get your best players on the ice. I can't count the number of times I've seen a team roll their 4th line out for the last minute, while not taking a time out. There's really no pressure when they pull the goalie. Just block a shot or poke check, and then wait to get the puck back. After that, you simply walk it out, and easily score into the empty net.

Same is true on the opposite side. Your AI teammates are brain dead. No hustle to get the puck, no rushing to keep it in at the blue line, or crashing the net on the shot...everyone's just totally content with maybe losing...maybe winning. Who knows?

# 33 AdamJones113 @ 07/14/15 06:52 PM
Quote:
If the defense hasn't changed in regards to the AI playing when their net is (or should be) empty, then more aggressive play by the CPU won't matter much.

I always hated that the AI didn't play any differently when they're down by a goal, with a minute to tie it up. Same entrance into the zone, same lazy play setup, no passing from man to man, trying to move the defense and goalie. No trying to get it to your best shooter, or hell, even get your best players on the ice. I can't count the number of times I've seen a team roll their 4th line out for the last minute, while not taking a time out. There's really no pressure when they pull the goalie. Just block a shot or poke check, and then wait to get the puck back. After that, you simply walk it out, and easily score into the empty net.

Same is true on the opposite side. Your AI teammates are brain dead. No hustle to get the puck, no rushing to keep it in at the blue line, or crashing the net on the shot...everyone's just totally content with maybe losing...maybe winning. Who knows?
Yeah, note that Shawn Horcoff and Nate Thompson are out there at the last minute for the Ducks.

# 34 TheCloser @ 07/14/15 06:53 PM
Honestly, at this point Ea needs to accept that Doc will never be good and go get Good Miller. Even Jim Hughson is better. They need to stop wasting money on doc, nobody likes it. Also using real recorded videos and not modelling the announcers is some kind of lazy. As for the gameplay, I'll take a pass. This game has not evolved enough in the last 3-5 years to be worth 60 bucks. They should really consider switching to an agile development process over there because they are not delivering items of high value on a year to year basis. The gameplay hasn't evolved since littmann, the goalies don't even push off and nhl 2k8 did this. I'll save my money this year. I preordered it from Amazon with a 30% discount but I'm just going to cancel it. It's not worth my money.

# 35 hawley088 @ 07/14/15 07:08 PM
....not hearing any difference in the commentary like we were told there would be. One of the reasons I was so excited about the switch up last year was Docs emotion, its completely lacking, again.

# 36 snc237 @ 07/14/15 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCloser
Honestly, at this point Ea needs to accept that Doc will never be good and go get Good Miller. Even Jim Hughson is better. They need to stop wasting money on doc, nobody likes it. Also using real recorded videos and not modelling the announcers is some kind of lazy. As for the gameplay, I'll take a pass. This game has not evolved enough in the last 3-5 years to be worth 60 bucks. They should really consider switching to an agile development process over there because they are not delivering items of high value on a year to year basis. The gameplay hasn't evolved since littmann, the goalies don't even push off and nhl 2k8 did this. I'll save my money this year. I preordered it from Amazon with a 30% discount but I'm just going to cancel it. It's not worth my money.
What the heck are you talkig about. Doc isn't bad in my book (loved JIm Hughson back in the day). Plus have you seen the madden announcer models! It's scary. I think the green screen is the way to go.

# 37 snc237 @ 07/14/15 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawley088
....not hearing any difference in the commentary like we were told there would be. One of the reasons I was so excited about the switch up last year was Docs emotion, its completely lacking, again.
I beileve last second goals or meaningful goals have been improved with more emotion. However it's really hard to get his emotion into the game without the audio sounding all chop and paste. Unfortunately you need all the core announcing to sound the same to sound natural. As long as he gets pumped when I score in OT or a last second goal I will be happy for the most part.

# 38 csamuelsvt @ 07/14/15 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawley088
I asked Rammer about it on twitter, so hopefully he responds because they said it was much better and improved.

It was downright cringe worthy to listen to. I heard one new line...and that was it.

# 39 desi1751 @ 07/14/15 09:12 PM
Does anybody no if the change line menu is going to be fixed? Example you cud not pokecheck unless u waited for it to disappear

# 40 brandon27 @ 07/14/15 09:40 PM
Loved the upclose shots in the first video. Looks really great. The improvements look awesome in that video. Really awesome.

The second video, I found it hard to really see alot of it in action. You get some glimpses, but it's so quick that it's hard to notice, it's there though. I think though, anytime you're watching a video with head to head player action, it probably takes away some of it as it should appear.

Hope some more videos continue to surface. Would love to see more.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.