Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

There's a lot of speculation around Operation Sports right now about what 2K Sports could be up to with the leaked achievements list, which included mentions of college themed activities for MyPlayer. Also, some of the cover athletes are pictured in their college uniforms (Curry and Harden are, while Davis and Jordan are not) on the official game covers.

The two achievements in question involve both picking a college and leaving early for the NBA Draft -- which tends to indicate that there will be something in between both events to allow you to progress from one to the other.

On that same token, many OSers confirmed, (more specifically King_B_Mack and Phreezy P - See video here) that some Universities were showing up on the CLC website as having a video game's license bought by 2K. As of right now that listing is no longer listed on the CLC website, which means they were taken down at some point in the last day.

In total, there were 10 universities (scratch that, make it 11) listed with 2K Sports as a licensee on the CLC website before they were removed (once again, thanks to King_B_Mack for the tip). Those schools included: Arizona State, Arizona, UConn, Georgetown, Louisville, Michigan, Texas, UCLA, Villanova, Wisconsin and Kansas.

Also it should be noted that some schools do not license through the CLC, so the aforementioned list is likely not a complete rundown of schools that would be licensed by 2K at this time.

What this could mean is pretty simple: If 2K has indeed licensed with schools -- they plan on using their brands (logos, uniforms, etc.) in the game at least on some level. Now what level of involvement there will be or not is entirely up in the air.

However, it is seriously doubtful any attempt at a 'realistic' depiction of NCAA basketball with likenesses, etc. is coming given ongoing litigation. Getting schools to sign off on their logos and such being used would probably require that any usage is as far away as possible from having likenesses of current athletes in the game. It's also worth mentioning that there is no official NCAA licensing listed at this time -- and any official tournament branding wouldn't be possible without that.

So what do you think the colleges and universities in NBA 2K16 mean? Sound off in the comments!

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 sactown_13 @ 07/16/15 08:30 PM
Good work on all the research fellas. Here's to hoping my tarheels make it. Cheers

# 22 J-Clutch1 @ 07/16/15 08:33 PM
I'm hoping that if they do end up including colleges, they include mine as well

# 23 24ct @ 07/16/15 08:35 PM
Using all that extra bread from VC to spend on all new licensing. Yay.

# 24 WishListGOD 1 OF 2 @ 07/16/15 09:39 PM
Remember it says declare for the NBA draft meaning we can decide when to leave(?) if so were probably going to get to play at least more then one college game. Hopefully this means a draft combine (hopefully)

# 25 redsox4evur @ 07/16/15 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishListGOD 1 OF 2
Remember it says declare for the NBA draft meaning we can decide when to leave(?) if so were probably going to get to play at least more then one college game. Hopefully this means a draft combine (hopefully)
Isn't there an achievement for 15 for signing your first 10 day contract?

# 26 WishListGOD 1 OF 2 @ 07/16/15 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
Isn't there an achievement for 15 for signing your first 10 day contract?
Umm i dont think there was, but there was an achievement for being dropped from an nba team after you 10 day contract.

# 27 JKSportsGamer1984 @ 07/16/15 10:06 PM
2K the cats out of the bag! Being that you're featuring the GOAT MJ you have to get North Carolina in! It's a must! Do whatever it takes but the N.C. Tarheels have to make it in. I understand you won't be able to get every school licensed but at least have all the major schools. From watching the YouTube vid it looks as if some heavy weights are yet to get licensed (Kentucky, Syracuse, Duke, N.C., etc..) Either way this is a great 1st step for things to come if this is true!

# 28 bravesvolsfan @ 07/16/15 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Would be DOPE man.... Id love a full tourney though myself. Not even sure thats possible but i can dream lol
Lol I'm not sure either, but I, for one, would absolutely love it. But then again, I'm a guy that would love pretty much any storyline 2K decides to do haha.

# 29 videlsports @ 07/16/15 11:35 PM
I think this is promising for the future.. Purchases of licensing from the clc means we could have a college basketball game soon. (Maybe next year or 17"). I think right now though 2k will strictly use it for my player. We used to have an old college basketball with 32 teams on it called coach K. I used to love that game. For the first 2-3 years it would be understandable if 2k just purchased the teams from the power 5 or teams in the Tournament. Big news though

# 30 champ1997 @ 07/17/15 12:27 AM
It seems to me 2k is gonna try to give us everything we've asked for

# 31 Jrocc23 @ 07/17/15 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishListGOD 1 OF 2

Thought the same thing. But it also could be one of those achievements that's just a automatic capture like you play your Freshman year and then once it's over, you get the achievement that says "Declare for the NBA Draft" but you didn't really have a choice. Hope you get what I mean lol. But I am hoping you're right. I just can't wait to start actually getting news.

# 32 jackzagal @ 07/17/15 01:19 AM
Interesting, having colleges would be a great addition, no doubt. I would better if they were official NCAA licences, but something's better than nothing It would be great if we could played overseas instead of going to college, like playing an EuroLeague season and then go to the NBA. I don't see that happening though.

# 33 WishListGOD 1 OF 2 @ 07/17/15 02:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocc23
Thought the same thing. But it also could be one of those achievements that's just a automatic capture like you play your Freshman year and then once it's over, you get the achievement that says "Declare for the NBA Draft" but you didn't really have a choice. Hope you get what I mean lol. But I am hoping you're right. I just can't wait to start actually getting news.
Lol yea i know what you mean because i thought the same thing but tried to ignore the thought lol, but in any case this is good news and a step in an awesome direction.

# 34 pabryant @ 07/17/15 09:53 AM
We need to start a "Go Fund Me" page for NCAA Basketball licensing on 2K's behalf. LOL!

# 35 MontanaMan @ 07/17/15 11:34 AM
Doesn't 2K know that by having those removed from thr CLC website, it basically confirms what we suspected? LOL.

Well since you're reading this 2K, I will preorder any collector's/deluxe version of the game and continue to purchase VC if it means that you will secure more college licenses in the future.

Also, get some more Nike gear in the game for the MyPlayer Store.

# 36 Ermolli @ 07/17/15 11:44 AM
If (huge IF) those schools are playable, would those get the players that got drafted this year? Like Stanley Johnson and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson playing for Arizona?

# 37 drugsbunny @ 07/17/15 11:59 AM
I would love it if you play through high school and then have the option to either go to college or straight to the league. If you go the college route, you build up your attributes more and develop easier as you are playing with college level talent or you go pro and start with limited stats as you do normally but they increase more as you are playing against pro level talent.

# 38 reedracer @ 07/17/15 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesvolsfan
My guess as well. 2K will probably start you as a senior playing in a high school state championship game, then decide where you go to college, then have you play in the elite eight all the way to the National Championship. After that, you declare for the NBA Draft. The story begins...
I think that could be how it goes. Maybe you play 3 tournament games total and every time you start a new player the 3 teams you play against is random. So one year you might play UConn, Arizona, and Wisconsin, and another year you play Kansas, Arizona State, and Louisville.

# 39 LeBron_On_Mars @ 07/18/15 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizDevConglomerate
The only way to distance themselves from Live would be to bring back college hoops. If they had an exclusive deal where college hoops was part of the game, and payable separately, it would make it impossible for cats to pass up, do a my player from college to pro's 1 n done style, or longer. That would be hot. They already allow you to create draft classes, which live doesn't, and with the lawsuit out the way, this is and would be perfect.

I say distance from live, because they are gaining on 2k. Keep it real. And if they could incorporate a ncaa 10 style mode into their game, it would be over
Liked [emoji106]

# 40 King_B_Mack @ 07/18/15 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizDevConglomerate
The only way to distance themselves from Live would be to bring back college hoops. If they had an exclusive deal where college hoops was part of the game, and payable separately, it would make it impossible for cats to pass up, do a my player from college to pro's 1 n done style, or longer. That would be hot. They already allow you to create draft classes, which live doesn't, and with the lawsuit out the way, this is and would be perfect.

I say distance from live, because they are gaining on 2k. Keep it real. And if they could incorporate a ncaa 10 style mode into their game, it would be over
In what world is 250,000 units sold "gaining" on 5 million+?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.