Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post

GameStop Madden Mondays have returned. Today's video showcases the new Draft Champions mode.

Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 24 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 JimmyT85 @ 07/21/15 06:40 AM
I'm actually looking forward to giving this mode a try

As has been said, it will give me a chance to use some players I wouldn't usually use, and a cobination of different players. I think the thought of pairing someone like Aaron Rodgers with Calvin Johnson for a few games is a cool idea, and I don't have to spend real world money (IE: MUT) to do such things, or trade for either in a CFM.

Plus, I think this mode will be good to dive into while people get to work on creating good slider sets etc

# 22 NDAlum @ 07/21/15 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
The fans don't care, and will go out their way to defend it so, it is what it is. They're getting what they want and what they deserve, so it's all good.
Please stop generalizing so much man.

# 23 EricFreakingBerry @ 07/21/15 11:40 AM
I might fire this up sometime next April when I'm bored of CFM, which sounds somewhat improved but nowhere near where I thought/hoped it would be by 2015/2016. Casual gaming modes like this are just a flat out waste of time to me.

# 24 kjcheezhead @ 07/21/15 11:49 AM
Quote:
It would be a cool mode if the legends and different players actually were unique. There's nothing that stands out between a legend and a highly rated player of today that makes them unique on the field. There just isn't enough personality in Madden as of now for me to even entertain a mode like this.
This is my problem with the mode. If this was any other game, I'd be all in for giving it a try but in madden I honestly don't care if my qb is Rodgers, Stafford, Cutler or Bridgewater....or Randall Cunningham. They look, move and play so similar it doesn't matter.

# 25 fballturkey @ 07/21/15 12:13 PM
That's a pretty valid criticism of MUT and this mode that I hadn't really thought of, but it may explain why I never got into MUT that much and some of hte issues I have with CFM. There are differences between star and mediocre players, but they aren't nearly extreme enough to actually make me super excited I got that 96 OVR RB as opposed to an 88 OVR.

# 26 OhMrHanky @ 07/21/15 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
This is my problem with the mode. If this was any other game, I'd be all in for giving it a try but in madden I honestly don't care if my qb is Rodgers, Stafford, Cutler or Bridgewater....or Randall Cunningham. They look, move and play so similar it doesn't matter.
yeah, this will be another evolution of madden (hopefully). Strangely enough, i think there have been past versions where players felt a little more different (I can't remember when, but it's happened before). Last several iterations have def not felt this way. U play fifa? There is a HUGE difference between playing with Messi, then Ronaldo, then Diego Costa, then Rooney, then ANYBODY!!! lol. That game has done an amazing job at differentiating the players. Hoping madden is able to build off that sometime, soon (or, borrow from that).

# 27 JKSportsGamer1984 @ 07/21/15 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Exactly! This is why SIGNATURE ANIMATIONS are needed so badly in this game. If they had unique animations for players (especially star players & Legends) I wouldn't mind playing MUT or Draft Champions. I've said it for years, I've never understood the intrigue with MUT when all players animate the same for the most part (with the exception of QB throwing motions which still need work). EA needs to step it up & make these players feel & animate differently.

# 28 CM Hooe @ 07/21/15 12:40 PM
Maybe I'm just failing to grasp this or having a brain fart, but other than a very select few non-passing mannerisms such as Tiki Barber's high-and-tight carrying style, Walter Payton's high stepping, and Tony Romo's houdini routine, I honestly can't name a signature football move or mannerism of any specific player that isn't a celebration. Throwing motions, I get that, obviously, and I hope EA expands upon that, but could someone fill me in as to what I'm missing, maybe by listing a bunch of trademark moves and mannerisms of non-quarterbacks that Madden is missing?

That said, I would like to see legends do specific celebrations as appropriate, at least - the illusion of playing as Terrell Davis is marred when he isn't doing the Mile High Salute upon reaching the end zone.

# 29 OhMrHanky @ 07/21/15 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Maybe I'm just failing to grasp this or having a brain fart, but other than a very select few non-passing mannerisms such as Tiki Barber's high-and-tight carrying style, Walter Payton's high stepping, and Tony Romo's houdini routine, I honestly can't name a signature football move or mannerism of any specific player that isn't a celebration. Throwing motions, I get that, obviously, and I hope EA expands upon that, but could someone fill me in as to what I'm missing, maybe by listing a bunch of trademark moves and mannerisms of non-quarterbacks that Madden is missing?

That said, I would like to see legends do specific celebrations as appropriate, at least - the illusion of playing as Terrell Davis is marred when he isn't doing the Mile High Salute upon reaching the end zone.
I guess, for me, maybe it's just a matter of making the animations better. And, by that, I mean body relative, weight/mass specific in terms of momenum. So, that a 5'6" scatback looks different than Calvin Johnson running the ball. And, for sure, some WRs still carry the ball like a loaf of bread. I think I've seen that b4, in madden, but if not, that could be added to WRs, and especially DBs that don't carry the ball well. not so much for RBs, of course. But, I wonder if they could motion capture, let's say, even, 20 different "people", not even necessarily nfl players, but people who know how to run the ball. I wonder if there would be enough difference in animation to then throw those 20 "styles" in. To your point, they may not look different enough, but maybe they would? But, ultimately, the ratings need to affect the animations, maybe more? I know that a RB with juke of 60 takes a LARGE cutback animation and a RB with 99 Juke takes a nice quick juke. So, there is variation there. But, yeah, idk, it's tough. U know when u watch a football game and u see lesean mccoy run, it looks different than others. Adrian Peterson, as well. Not exactly sure what they need to do to capture that, but it definitely feels like it's missing.

# 30 SageInfinite @ 07/21/15 01:13 PM
Quote:

It's about having the game not look so generic, choppy and robotic animation wise. Some of the animations don't even look professional. For me it's not so much having specific trade mark animations, but animations that look like said player would do in game. Giving the game some personality. There should be animation packages for different positions. Like NBA 2k does with different dribble, layup, and jumpshot packages. Different juke animation packages, cut back moves, wide receiver catches, running strides, ect.

Football is definitely harder to really put a stamp on someone's signature, but the mannerisms are lacking. Everyone is just the same in madden. Even for the signature QB's throws, they don't trigger nearly enough. Even so, there are no sig on the run throws, under pressure throw, ect. Just alot lacking in the animation department with Madden. Even subtle animations are lacking. That's why the "same ol madden" can get thrown around so loosely and have some actual substance. Alot of the animations are not only from last gen, but some can even be traced as far back as Madden 06 as still being in the game. Doesn't give the game that fresh look.

# 31 BreakingBad2013 @ 07/21/15 01:14 PM
Players run differently from each other. They don't all have the same strides and running mannerisms. Watch DeSean Jackson run, then watch Calvin Johnson run. Watch LeSean McCoy shift around and cut, and watch Reggie Bush do it, very different.

It would be near impossible to add these into the game however. Too many nuances to locate accurately.

# 32 SageInfinite @ 07/21/15 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad2013
It would be near impossible to add these into the game however. Too many nuances to locate accurately.
It's not impossible, it just has to be a priority for the team, and having the talent to execute it in game. Each individual doesn't have to have their own sig, there can be packages made to closely replicate styles, and then have them assigned to each player.

With how the game is now, something like this wouldn't people possible until years down the line or even probably the next generation. They say animations are a priority, but it's coming along extremely slowly.

# 33 SolidSquid @ 07/21/15 01:21 PM
Quote:

Think about how Adrian Peterson runs, violent, looking for contact, somewhat loose with ball and Reggie Bush, who is elusive, avoids contact, and is also somewhat loose with the ball.

Guys don't all run exactly the same way like they do in madden

# 34 BreakingBad2013 @ 07/21/15 01:37 PM
Quote:
It's not impossible, it just has to be a priority for the team, and having the talent to execute it in game. Each individual doesn't have to have their own sig, there can be packages made to closely replicate styles, and then have them assigned to each player.

With how the game is now, something like this wouldn't people possible until years down the line or even probably the next generation. They say animations are a priority, but it's coming along extremely slowly.
It'd be nearly impossible to locate every player's differenr running motion, stride, step and apply it to a video game with thousands of players and different motions. It'd turn the game on its side, and would probably have to re-do any physics and collision system all over. Its waaaay too intricate.

# 35 roadman @ 07/21/15 01:46 PM
Quote:
It'd be nearly impossible to locate every player's differenr running motion, stride, step and apply it to a video game with thousands of players and different motions. It'd turn the game on its side, and would probably have to re-do any physics and collision system all over. Its waaaay too intricate.
I get that, but how about coming up with 4 or 5 different running styles.

Heck, we have our own, running and trucking Eddie Lee Lacy.

Put the RB's running styles in 4 or 5 different categories and each RB fits into one of those categories.

I don't think that is asking too much, do you?

# 36 yardz23 @ 07/21/15 02:12 PM
can two players play draft champion mode against each other locally?

This seems like a more fun couch head 2 head game than regular exhibition games.

# 37 BleedGreen710 @ 07/21/15 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Guys don't all run exactly the same way like they do in madden
from the gameplay vids I've seen there seems to be different running styles in the game. subtle, but different.

# 38 SageInfinite @ 07/21/15 02:21 PM
Quote:
I just said it didn't have to be every player's stride and step. It's definitely not impossible or too intricate. It's about Madden finally going to another level and stepping up to this generation.

# 39 BreakingBad2013 @ 07/21/15 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I get that, but how about coming up with 4 or 5 different running styles.

Heck, we have our own, running and trucking Eddie Lee Lacy.

Put the RB's running styles in 4 or 5 different categories and each RB fits into one of those categories.

I don't think that is asking too much, do you?

No absolutely not. Like the players style should come equipped with a running style like exhaustive, one cut, power, balanced, and receiving. I agree, I just meant in terms of each individual player

# 40 PVarck31 @ 07/21/15 02:37 PM
This has gotten off-topic. Lets get back to Draft Champions.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.