Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

Visual Concepts' weekly NBA 2K Twitch stream just released some tidbits on how the MyTEAM game mode has changed for NBA 2K16.

According to hosts Ronnie2K and LD2K, there will be five card tiers this year, which are only based on a player's overall rating:

1) Bronze
2) Silver
3) Gold
4) Amethyst
5) Diamond

The specific rating ranges for these tiers will be revealed at a later date.

Cards will also come with different themes, and three of those themes were detailed today (more will be announced later):

1) "Day One" theme -- The attribute ratings on these cards won't ever change, as they will be based on the initial roster that ships with NBA 2K16.

2) "Green" theme -- The attribute ratings on these cards will automatically change based on the game's regular roster updates. You will receive three of these cards just for preordering NBA 2K16.

3) "Special Moment" theme -- Whenever current NBA players produce buzzworthy moments in the upcoming season, Visual Concepts will create special edition cards featuring boosted attribute ratings. So if Kyrie Irving scores 50 points in a game again next year, he could get a Special Moment card with increased shooting and scoring attributes. You will be able to sell these cards on the auction house. Ronnie and Chris also hinted that these cards might be used as locker codes, or might possibly be in-game rewards that you have to earn/unlock.

The "Special Moment" Michael Jordan card (pictured at the top of this post) you'll receive for preordering the Jordan Edition of NBA 2K16 will have attribute ratings based off MJ's first career NBA game.

Pink Diamond cards will not be back for NBA 2K16, though locker codes will still exist in some form.

The auction house will be returning, though no specific changes or improvements were mentioned.

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 dvazquez190 @ 07/22/15 02:40 PM
Actually having a currency that's much tougher to acquire destroys the market more. Higher valued cards will rarely be moved because people just won't have the currency to purchase them. You can buy Stubs in the Show in the same way you can buy VC in 2k. Someone with money will always have the upper hand no matter what you do. If you're saying I can buy packs with VC, what's to stop me from buying a gross amount of packs until I get the cards I want, then selling off the cards I don't want. I'd still be able to convert VC into MyTeam currency. People will always find exploits, but when you put MyTeam on an island you force people to make a choice. Either play the rest of the game or play MyTeam.

Plus they don't seem to care much about the game being unfair for online play. Look at all the people who purchase VC just to make their characters great for the park without ever putting any time into them. Yeah they won't be at full potential but they'll be good enough.

# 22 Ownal0t @ 07/22/15 02:55 PM
Anyone who played myteam in 2k13 would know why VC + A Market idea would be a BUST.

BRB buying my all rainbow team on Day 1.

# 23 H3LLGWAR @ 07/22/15 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvazquez190
Actually having a currency that's much tougher to acquire destroys the market more. Higher valued cards will rarely be moved because people just won't have the currency to purchase them. You can buy Stubs in the Show in the same way you can buy VC in 2k. Someone with money will always have the upper hand no matter what you do. If you're saying I can buy packs with VC, what's to stop me from buying a gross amount of packs until I get the cards I want, then selling off the cards I don't want. I'd still be able to convert VC into MyTeam currency. People will always find exploits, but when you put MyTeam on an island you force people to make a choice. Either play the rest of the game or play MyTeam.

Plus they don't seem to care much about the game being unfair for online play. Look at all the people who purchase VC just to make their characters great for the park without ever putting any time into them. Yeah they won't be at full potential but they'll be good enough.
My name is also D Vazquez that's weird

# 24 KingTocco @ 07/22/15 02:55 PM
I understand some of the points you make so thank for that.

Buying packs with VC is very hard and a colossal waste of money for what you get in return. The pack odds are so low on most of them, a few of the Ruby sets were an exception.

People will spend money on whatever they please which is fine with me. The real problem this year was the lack of ways you could acquire an acceptable amount of MT. If they added more challenges with better rewards, more MT awarded from domination mode and RTTP, and others than it would be much more balanced.

This has been a problem in many of these game modes for years, it's not as easy to balance as you would think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 25 zasbury25 @ 07/22/15 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGSW
Lol... what? Jordan was beasting in his rookie year. KD was nothing in his rookie year.

One was a silver card. The other will be a gold.

Rookie Jordan is going to be a 90 overall comfortably. Unless they completely nerf him.

It's not the same at all. Not even close.

You're giving people a top 10 card (for the position) right off the bat. It's madness.

And yes there will always be cheese. But that's not really the point. They should be making the cheese more difficult not significantly easier.
From the stream last night, it was said the card and ratings were to be based on the moment Jordan first stepped foot on a professional basketball court, before anyone really knew what he was to become. From what they said, I would expect the card to be rated much lower than the one from 2K15, which was based on the end of his rookie season. Furthermore, the card colors have a defined ratings range this year, which we know nothing about yet...I think it is a bit premature to get all excited about how overpowered the card may be. However, I would expect it to be a bit better than the Durant card because everyone that preordered got that one, whereas this card will be given away with the Jordan edition at a $20 premium.

# 26 zasbury25 @ 07/22/15 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
Then do what FIFA did with their price restrictions.
It's bad enough that nothing, regardless of color, can be sold for under 500mt...that either needs to go away or be modified based on color tier.

# 27 bwright25 @ 07/22/15 03:39 PM
Getting rid of Pink Diamond is probably the best news Ive heard. It ruined/killed the game off too early. To give away the best players to keyboard warriors who can sit around on cpu all day makes zero sense in the business profit mode. But 2 guys got a lot of social media followers. Im sure their pockets got full.

# 28 redsox4evur @ 07/22/15 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zasbury25
It's bad enough that nothing, regardless of color, can be sold for under 500mt...that either needs to go away or be modified based on color tier.
I was saying that if they did away with MT. This would make one currency that you can get for doing anything and use it on whatever you want. Whether it be buy packs, cards off the AH, mycareer/mygm stuff, whatever.

# 29 dvazquez190 @ 07/22/15 03:57 PM
@H3llgwar - Weirder if your name is Daniel lol.

@Strictlyforbuckets - I'll admit i've never actually attempted to play MyTeam since I didn't have the time to dedicate myself to one mode. Had I been able to use VC as currency that wouldn't be the case. I'll have to take your word on it ruining the mode since again, i've never played it. That said, the biggest problem with the "pay to play" mold is that you almost force yourself into using that currency for everything. 2K has gotten away with not using it for MyTeam without backlash which is fine. That said, the moment they introduced currency that can be purchased with real money they basically told everyone "you can get everything by playing, but if you don't want to waste your time just spend a little extra". The real reason you won't see VC in MyTeam has nothing to do with balancing issues. It has everything to do with them actually losing money on people purchasing VC. If the MyTeam market allowed you to buy and sell cards with VC, it would effectively create a new way for people to make VC. A way that would prove the most effective way at making VC.

# 30 KingTocco @ 07/22/15 05:09 PM
Lol dude you need to chill.

First of all, it's not everyone that's getting it. Only those that preordered the Jordan edition which I can't imagine is "everyone"

Also, it's attributes will be based on his very first NBA game which was decent but in no way shape or form his Gold MJ form. My guess is he'll be rated around an 85.

Silver KD was rated like 80-82 or something with decent shooting stats and he's tall. At the beginning of MT, having that card along with a team full of bronze guys is almost the same difference.

You are really going to extremes here lol

Take it to my PM if you wish to continue this please.

# 31 Scramz718 @ 07/22/15 06:41 PM
Quote:
How is it the same? One is some really raw rookie silver card who is average at best. The other is a beast gold card from arguably the greatest scorer of all time.

You're only happy about this if you're a cheeser and don't give a damn about the game. This will ruin the market. A 90+ overall gold MJ selling for next to nothing because everyone has him. It will drive prices down right from the start.

It's nothing like KD. At all. You may as well have given everyone Gordon Hayward.

Giving everyone rookie MJ is like giving everyone.. rookie MJ.
If you took the time to read the OP you won't be complaining. It's a day one MJ base off the fist time he stepped on a nba floor. He will be rated as a nba prospect same as this year rookies out of the box ratings. His rating won't be anywhere near 90+. He'll be more like a 83 or 85 at most. They now have 5 tiers base off ratings with gold being the 3rd highest. Gold cards won't be the same as 2k15 gold cards.

XB1

# 32 start it up @ 07/22/15 07:17 PM
Quote:
How is it the same? One is some really raw rookie silver card who is average at best. The other is a beast gold card from arguably the greatest scorer of all time.

You're only happy about this if you're a cheeser and don't give a damn about the game. This will ruin the market. A 90+ overall gold MJ selling for next to nothing because everyone has him. It will drive prices down right from the start.

It's nothing like KD. At all. You may as well have given everyone Gordon Hayward.

Giving everyone rookie MJ is like giving everyone.. rookie MJ.
If it makes you feel better. I won't have him. And I doubt everyone who plays my team will fork aside the extra 20 bucks.

2nd. This is day one MJ not year one Mj. He was wasn't the highest profiled player playing at UNC. Remember he was taken after Sam Bowie

3rd Sapphire 85 MJ was free this year.

I'm pretty sure there will be an OP player that everyone will use but how about playing the game first. 2k has a license to feature Jordan and the Jordan brand. There using Jordan to sell preorders and packs nothing to see here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

# 33 Lord Bonium @ 07/22/15 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyForBuckets
Lmao Amethyst, I bet you half of the people don't even know what that is.

Everything else sounds great though.

My first reaction as well. You know you could have just used my platinum suggestion 2k... i would've been honored. Although i suppose it's not that great either since it looks pretty much exactly like silver.

From the wishlist thread:
"6 - Add a new tier of cards for 90+ ovr players, i'll use "platinum" as an example. Bronze ...-69, silver 70-79 , gold 80-89, platinum 90-99"

Either way, i'm glad they added the new tiers and from looking at the cards it looks like they incorporated my number 7 as well.

"7 - Put a bronze/silver/gold/platinum mark on the specialty cards (emerald/saph/ruby/etc...) depending on their ovr rating as a way to make them usable in restricted seeds/challenges/tournaments/... There's no reason i shouldn't be able to use my 67ovr barbosa anytime i want. Also, base the contracts on the aforementioned mark. There's no reason barbosa should cost about the same to use than let's say lebron & co."

Or maybe i'm looking at it wrong, i can't quite figure out whether that jordan is supposed to be gold tier or amethyst but those 3 green cards have bronze, silver and gold linings so i'm guessing he's supposed to be gold as well. Which would be strange since 85 jordan is a 94 in 2k15 so that would only leave 95-99 overall for the two new top tiers if that card is indeed a gold. Unless they lowered his overall or simply reworked the entire overall formula of course. (edit: nm, just read that it's day 1 jordan so it'll probably be an 80 something like scramz says)

So it looks like 2k does read and work with some of our suggestions from the wishlist threads. All i can say is thank you 2k and i haven't looked forward this much to a new 2k since 2k10 (1st myplayer) and 2k13 (1st myteam).

I just hope the moments card don't eventually become too op.

# 34 harryl @ 07/22/15 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
I was saying that if they did away with MT. This would make one currency that you can get for doing anything and use it on whatever you want. Whether it be buy packs, cards off the AH, mycareer/mygm stuff, whatever.
The problem with allowing people to buy virtual currency that can be used to spend in the Auction House is that it establishes a pretty direct real money price for players. It was far from a given that one could earn enough MT from selling pack contents to buy the pack from which the stuff came from, in MT. Most of the time, MT value of a pack is lower than the pack's MT price. And even when it's same or more, it would still take a good deal of time/work to sell off everything.

So if one could just pay real money to afford players in the AH, people would just do that, instead of buy packs. Of course, if nobody is buying packs, there's much less supply in the AH, so prices probably go up.

So I think having dual currencies actually improves the AH market for most players. Those of us who don't spend real money on the game can benefit from ready supply of nice, newly-released cards from those who bought packs and want to dump contents for MT.

# 35 SaruAqua @ 07/23/15 03:01 AM
Great to know that 2K is finally putting their foot down and taking control of MyTeam. My favorite part so far has beeh the position restrictions. Just played a guy yesterday that had LBJ at PG and Ruby Magic at PF. Obviously whooped him by halftime but it was still annoying, nonetheless. Hopefully, baseline rim finishes are reduced this year. So sick of Ruby Kobe throwing reverse dunks on BOTH Yao and Zo. As for zig-zag cheesing, that's going to be difficult to remove since movement is a part of basketball.

Also, that Rookie Jordan card doesn't worry me at all. Like others have said, it's based on just his FIRST EVER game along with the fact that it will be a limited edition. I see him being an 86 overall (will bump when correct). The question is whether people will be allowed to sell him which I don't think will be the case.

Lastly, not going to bother checking but to the person that said that KD was "nothing" in his rookie season obviously didn't watch him in '08 or was exaggerating. He only averaged 20/4/2 on 43%/29%3PT/87%FT. Yeah, it wasn't the 28/6/6 on 51% that MJ put up but KD's rookie card not being op doesn't mean that his season wasn't great. He was fantastic for a rookie.

# 36 Lord Bonium @ 07/23/15 07:38 AM
Quote:
Also I don't think they actually mentioned position restrictions did they?
It's the first i'm hearing about that as well. Also, to saruaqua: i wouldn't be surprised that if magic played today he might be a pf, probably a sf but definitely doubtful as pg. Either way, i personally don't care about position restrictions as much as i do lineup restrictions but that's been beaten to death so nm...

# 37 QNo @ 07/23/15 07:43 AM
Quote:
Also I don't think they actually mentioned position restrictions did they?
They did, indirectly, saying that "you don't want to be running Shaq at PF" in 2k16 or something like that. And that MJ will be about an 82-85OVR, it'll be a good card, especially in the first month or so, but nowhere near gamebreaking. I'm not too worried about him baseline-dunking, either. Not only is it possible that that's not as powerful as it is now (already nerfed and rather easy to defend, by the way), but MJ didn't dunk a single time in his first game.

# 38 SaruAqua @ 07/23/15 02:44 PM
Quote:
1. You can't just look at raw box score numbers when comparing players. Smh. Come on now. Are you new to this?

2. KDs rookie year was NOTHING compared to Jordan. A rookie Harden, Davis or Curry (cover athletes) would have made more sense. Let people pick which one they want.

3. I was talking more about his card. He was a generic silver card. Nothing special. I would put Hayward or any other high silver wing against him happily. A gold rookie Jordan from day one is madness.
1. I chose to only post raw box score numbers because I didn't want to bother writing a long post on why KD was a great rookie. I could but it would be a waste of my time.

2. Maybe you need to go back and reread what I posted because I clearly stated KD's rookie season was in no comparison to MJ's rookie season. It was obviously inferior. KD was on the cover of this past year's game so he deserved that card. Also, what is wrong with there being a rookie MJ? I could almost guarantee you that that MJ rookie card will in no way be a problem for most gamers combined with the fact that he's a limited edition.

3. To be honest, maybe we're all jumping to conclusions. We don't know if he's going to be op or not. His athleticism might say something, though.

# 39 SaruAqua @ 07/23/15 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bonium
It's the first i'm hearing about that as well. Also, to saruaqua: i wouldn't be surprised that if magic played today he might be a pf, probably a sf but definitely doubtful as pg. Either way, i personally don't care about position restrictions as much as i do lineup restrictions but that's been beaten to death so nm...
But that's not the problem, Bonium. Excluding his game 6 in the 1980 Nba Finals, Magic didn't start playing bigman until after his first retirement. This dude was playing PRIME Magic at PF . Also, it has nothing to do with what position he would play in today's league because we don't know but my guess would be that he stays at PG just to go off topic for a bit.

That LeBron at PG is some bull****, though. Only scrubs, IMHO, do that.

# 40 commandoelite5 @ 07/23/15 06:10 PM
This is all getting TOO MUCH. Moment Cards? Are you kidding me? Yeah it's great that there are no more Pink Diamond Cards but imagine how many "in the moment" cards there will be. There is still going to be highly cheesy unrealistic players out there. "Lets see if Michael Jordan, playing as the 63 point playoff game card, can beat the 71 point game David Robinson card's team." They made this way to complicated and honestly ruined the fun of "what if" in this mode. It seems they were running out of ideas and needed something new to add to myteam. But my thoughts are, why can't they just keep fixing what is working about your mode, and not add and subtract all this stuff from it. So no more Onyx cards? I have to play with 34 rebound game dennis rodman?

Onyx cards were great, because they were actual representations of the players from their best seasons. It gave you a whole season of them realistically performing at that rate. David Robinson scored 71 in one game of his entire 987 game career! But we get his GOD Card to play with? They were running out of new ideas to get people to buy cards so they resorted to single game stats, pathetic.

The Ruby cards were the perfect representations of 2k's greediness.They were terrible, because they took players and just inflated their stats(fvcking Darryl dawkins 99 speed). They made up fake make believe characters for you to play as in their version of NBA Street. And Pink Diamonds became God Mode cards that were just cheap and cheesy cards.

The different card tiers for their overall is nice, hopefully they work that favorably into the online play. Because it would be nice not having to face an all Amethyst team when I want to just play with golds and silvers.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.