Home
NHL 16 News Post

EA Sports has just announced their plans to launch their NHL 16 EASHL beta, starting July 30 until August 6, for Xbox One (including EA Access version) and PlayStation 4 users. If you purchased the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 version and have upgraded to current-gen console, you have a chance to access the beta as well. Look here for the details. The beta will weigh in at roughly 5GB.

Quote:
This fan-favorite online team mode has been reimagined and lets you choose specialized player classes to deliver a balanced competitive experience on the ice. Player skill and your ability to play as a team will now be the determining factor in who wins and loses.

EASHL lets you choose specialized player classes to deliver a balanced competitive experience on the ice. Choose from 12 different player classes that fit your team’s style and strategy.

Below are some notes from the NHL 16 EASHL beta FAQ.

Will I be able to customize my player or goalie in the beta?

Yes. You will be able to create a custom player in the EASHL beta. You will be able to edit a player or goalie’s general information, appearance, and equipment. Any creation or customization in the beta does not carry over to the full game. For more information on EASHL customization click here.

Will my player and team stats carry over to the main game?

Player and team stats will not carry over to the main game when NHL 16 launches in September. However, individual & team skills you learn through this beta will!

Will I have to re-create my team when NHL 16 launches on September 15?

Teams created in the beta will not carry over to NHL 16.

Does a team need to have a full lineup to play a game?

No, you can play an EASHL game without a full lineup and as little as 2 human controlled players. In those circumstances, AI will take control of non-human controlled players.

More info on the beta can be seen at Polygon.

Game: NHL 16Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
NHL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 SinisterAlex @ 07/22/15 03:48 PM
I don't really understand the complaints about having no progression. Year after year I would get to my legend 3 in a few months and I would still be playing right up until the new NHL game released.

I would play like crazy in the beginning to keep up with everyone who played clubs. Then in the end everyone would make the same type of forward. The game became who could exploit the attributes more and exploit the game. There was no skill in previous EASHL.

The way I see NHL 16 EASHL is that I removes the pointless grind to legend 3. We all did it year after year and made our players the same year after year.

I'm stoked by this decision and I think it's for the better.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

# 22 bwiggy33 @ 07/22/15 03:52 PM
So am I correct in assuming this will be the current build of NHL 16 gameplay to go along with EASHL, or is it NHL 15 gameplay just with the NHL 16 EASHL?

# 23 ksteiding1 @ 07/22/15 03:54 PM
So what about the people who purchased the PS4 version of NHL 15, which if i remember correctly, was more expensive than the PS3 version?? Just sit on our thumbs for a few weeks?? Makes sense.....

# 24 Turbojugend @ 07/22/15 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
So am I correct in assuming this will be the current build of NHL 16 gameplay to go along with EASHL, or is it NHL 15 gameplay just with the NHL 16 EASHL?
Great point. Would be nice to preview some of the other gameplay features as well!

# 25 adayinthelife @ 07/22/15 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuGer33
I'm not trying to sound like a you-know-what here or anything, but is the RPG / progression element really more important to you than good gameplay?

You aren't alone in thinking this, but I just don't see it. I would take solid, balanced gameplay that depends on the skill of the players and how much they know about hockey over the progression carrot every single time. I like the satisfaction of knowing that I won or lost on the merits, not because the other side had cards or boost packs or abilities that did not match my own.
I'm with you on this. I haven't had remote interest in EASHL after NHL 09, as it just felt so boost/progression oriented. I personally prefer the described set up for this year, but we'll see how it pans out.

# 26 Splitter77 @ 07/22/15 04:07 PM
Quote:
id like to know that too.
ive never tried eashl.
ive only done offline and a couple online matches.

# 27 snc237 @ 07/22/15 04:25 PM
CANT WAIT!!!

# 28 canucksss @ 07/22/15 04:34 PM
I am jealous of you guys....with my busy schedule, I dont have time to play EASHL just like before. How I wish they ahve also this "beta" for BaGM offline mode or any offline modes. I can only wish.

# 29 juice2142 @ 07/22/15 05:21 PM
add me on psn if you guys want to start a OS Club. I play any positions with emphasis on puck cycle psn: "juice2142"

# 30 speedtrucker @ 07/22/15 05:31 PM
Quote:
the only factor NHL 15 plays in this whole beta is that you have to have a version of NHL 15 to be able to participate. from the NHL 15 in-game menu, you will be able to select the beta participation and download the beta. it is a beta build of the NHL 16 EASHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteiding1
So what about the people who purchased the PS4 version of NHL 15, which if i remember correctly, was more expensive than the PS3 version?? Just sit on our thumbs for a few weeks?? Makes sense.....
current-gen owners of NHL 15 get access to the beta. last-gen (legacy) owners who have since moved on to current-gen consoles have to go to a link provided in the OP to try and obtain a key. which are limited.

there are no last-gen betas for EASHL

# 31 LuGer33 @ 07/22/15 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojugend
Great point. Would be nice to preview some of the other gameplay features as well!
It's totally NHL 16.

NHL 15 is just your key to enter the beta. So for example last year you needed Halo: The Master Chief Collection to download the Halo 5 beta, which was a totally separate game. Then you could play the Halo 5 beta without ever needing MCC again.

EASHL beta and NHL 15 looks to work exactly the same way.

# 32 Fiddy @ 07/22/15 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuGer33
There's no creation. There will be a physical defensemen class, but you don't actually customize their attributes.

The Polygon article is accurate in many respects. There is a risk by going with this system that the mode loses some depth and incentive to keep playing. The idea is that w/ balanced classes and no wacky attributes, the emphasis will be on teamplay and hockey knowledge. Think of it like an E-sports approach with a higher skill gap that will hopefully keep fans playing without grinding or chasing the progression carrot.

I'm excited for it because I'm a fan of classic Arena games w/ equal starts and stuff where as much as possible is left to the players. I hope it works for EASHL.
I'm glad they went the player class route. I've been calling for this for last 4 years. This IMO will get rid of the frustration level of other teammates being light years behind game and attribute wise. Make for an overall more enjoyable experience win or lose. Especially losses, losing games and getting bad grades because of teammates.

I'm always hard on the NHL debut team and I'm sure I will continue to be so. I'm glad they are involving the fan base in things like this and are from the looks of it wanting the game to play fair for both casual and hardcore hockey gamers.

# 33 BigDisk @ 07/22/15 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnievic86
THIS IS A CROCK OF ***!! They have ruined this game, You can't even change your height and weight?? What a joke. Balanced playing field my arse! The bad players will still get owned by the top players that will never change no matter how much you dummy up the game. Everyone on the ice with the same players?? Wow what fun!! Might be time for a class action lawsuit against EA.. Who are they to tell you what you can or can't do with a game you bought?? You whining little idiots can have this garbage game i'm done with it.
Hahaha, whaaat?

I gotta say, I'm glad you won't be buying it man. LOL

I just can't wait to try this beta. Thanks to all of you who participated in the GameChanger program. I think this is going to be the best NHL game by a ****ing' mile. Gotta love EASHL.

This feels like the NHL coming back after a lockout

# 34 BTW8892 @ 07/22/15 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnievic86
THIS IS A CROCK OF ***!! They have ruined this game, You can't even change your height and weight?? What a joke. Balanced playing field my arse! The bad players will still get owned by the top players that will never change no matter how much you dummy up the game. Everyone on the ice with the same players?? Wow what fun!! Might be time for a class action lawsuit against EA.. Who are they to tell you what you can or can't do with a game you bought?? You whining little idiots can have this garbage game i'm done with it.
Did you actually read anything about the mode before you went into a blind rage? If anything, the balance makes it a more strategic game and allows skill to win out instead of the "best" builds.

You even said it yourself, the good players will still be a step above everyone because they'll rely mainly on hockey knowledge. I feel like you are just complaining to complain at this point, rather than trying to realize all of the good that can come out of this.

I don't know about you, but I won't miss the 6'9" grinders running around killing everything, scoring at will, and making the game a circus act. I'd take this route any day of the week, and twice on Sunday's.

# 35 JimmyDeicide @ 07/22/15 08:33 PM

I was never able to max out my guy i was never that good usually around legend 1 or 2 maybe 3 some years if my lad took over for a week.

Its never been about the leveling up , i always hated that, it would keep friends away who would be behind.

Its about getting together with buds and having a good time, when i filled out the questionnaire i voted for player classes and it looks like the majority did also otherwise we wouldn't be seeing it.

Cant wait i miss my teammates, Guy Laduuche is lacing them up.

# 36 ricky24 @ 07/23/15 09:48 AM
Did people also not like custom jerseys? And vote against them in the survey? I still think all these changes were done because it's just easier to make the mode this way. I'm glad some people are happy but my whole team is prepared to be bored with it after our beta and ea access period. Sucks because it was our favorite game to play together. All I have to say is thank god for ea access. With the route EA is going with their titles the vault is the only way I'm owning their sports games.

# 37 Gotmilkman24 @ 07/23/15 10:03 AM
One thing that worries me is will we be able to play our custom player without being in a club? Are we forced to play otp with real world hockey players or will there be a drop in menu just like before? Does anyone know if this was answered yet?

# 38 murph17 @ 07/23/15 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmilkman24
One thing that worries me is will we be able to play our custom player without being in a club? Are we forced to play otp with real world hockey players or will there be a drop in menu just like before? Does anyone know if this was answered yet?
confirmed no drop in for the beta. you have to a join a club.

my guess is this will be the same case at launch, and hopefully they can quickly patch it in.

# 39 BigDisk @ 07/23/15 12:06 PM
OTP will be in. But it's going to be with NHL Pros only + line changes just like NHL 15.

Hopefully they relax the club-hopping restrictions for leagues like LGHL, and they keep the club challenge OR some kind of lobby feature, otherwise custom leagues are DOA.

# 40 no1xdraftpck @ 07/23/15 12:47 PM
If you aren't participating in leagues like LGHL, you are missing the best part of being apart of EASHL, imo.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.