Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

Steph Curry has just posted a quick NBA 2K16 video clip of himself in NBA 2K16, complete with mouth guard. Steph mentions on his Instagram that a Beyond the Shadows video is coming Monday.

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Sundown @ 08/07/15 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
MikeGSW that was so unnecessary but I'm not going to sit here and act like I didn't laugh at "nose hair molecules"

That snippet was awesome though...

I can see what guy's are saying about the eyes...I wonder if that it indeed a case of his eye position when scanning..

I swear it seems like some guys were scanned while smiling too..i.e Mario Chalamers...dude is always grinning in game
Yeah, that's likely a case of open-your-eyes-wide-so-we-can-get-a-proper-scan. Oops now your eyelids look off in a neutral position. It's a tricky problem that would either have to be hand tweaked after the scan or the scanning software would have to be able to scan multiple eyelid positions and interpolate between them to try to capture the width and shape of the folds correctly and how they might deform.

The cracked-out-Chris-Bosh effect in 2K14 might have been due to this.

# 42 ForeverVersatile @ 08/07/15 12:23 PM
Attachment 103964 Yeah the lighting and player skins tones just throw everything off.

# 43 Sundown @ 08/07/15 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron_On_Mars
Great so lemme guess that the mouth piece addiction pretty much made this THE DEBUT "2K16 gameplay" since he's just walking up to the free throw line himself and no other players are shown
Also funny you would say mouthpiece "addiction". Curry actually seems to have a bit of a mouthpiece chewing fixation. So much so that he endorsed a line of flavored mouth guards in different flavors and colors.

I'm returning 2K16 if it doesn't allow me to buy all the flavors with VC.

# 44 Goffs @ 08/07/15 12:29 PM
So...will AD get the same type of detail?

# 45 iLLWiLL @ 08/07/15 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverVersatile
Attachment 103964 Yeah the lighting and player skins tones just throw everything off.

Again...I don't know if it's just l*ghting, or just an actual lack of detail in the graphics, but 2k's graphics just lack alot of "dimension" to them? I'm not sure if that's the word I am looking for, but... I mentioned this many times before, l*ghting should bring out the different angles and bone structure in Steph's face here, for example. Without it things just look flat. And it's not just this screenshot, it's present in all 2k16 screenshots, and all previous games. Edit: And what happened to the appearance of sweat that used to be in the game and that is in the comp's game?

That criticism aside, I already know 2k16 is going to be a great game with amazing gameplay.

# 46 Sundown @ 08/07/15 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverVersatile
It's hard to say, because the photo might not be color corrected properly either. But Curry is probably more red and ruddy than he should be. Meh.

Also something about the scan process seems to result in larger heads in proportion to the features. Curry's eyes in 2K seem to sit noticeably smaller on his head than the photo. I also noticed this with Harden's bulbous head in the Gamescon footage. And the eyelid thickness difference can be seen pretty well in that comparison shot as well.

Wait. That's no mouthguard in 2K. That's just Invisalign braces.

# 47 Vni @ 08/07/15 12:34 PM
It annoys me when Curry pulls his mouth guard out in real life and now it will annoy me in 2K aswell.

#simnation

# 48 IGhostUlt @ 08/07/15 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGSW
Where did I say they can't be criticized? I'm very critical of a lot of things they do. But it's constructive criticism.

You need to develop a sense of humour. Don't take things so serious.
I felt that you were insulting the people that were talking about visuals but fair enough.

# 49 Sundown @ 08/07/15 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLWiLL
Again...I don't know if it's just l*ghting, or just an actual lack of detail in the graphics, but 2k's graphics just lack alot of "dimension" to them? I'm not sure if that's the word I am looking for, but... I mentioned this many times before, l*ghting should bring out the different angles and bone structure in Steph's face here, for example. Without it things just look flat. And it's not just this screenshot, it's present in all 2k16 screenshots, and all previous games. Edit: And what happened to the appearance of sweat that used to be in the game and that is in the comp's game?

That criticism aside, I already know 2k16 is going to be a great game with amazing gameplay.
It's the lack of more defined specular highlights and what seems to be a lower intensity for the arena lights in comparison to the global and ambient illumination. As a result a lot of the structures and definition on players look a bit washed out.

What I don't want 2K to do is overdo it like Live, where everything looks rubbed down with oil and speculars are overdone to the point where they create white harsh noisy sparkles. But a little more of that wouldn't hurt.

# 50 Jrocc23 @ 08/07/15 12:40 PM
Sick as hell. Hopefully, other players have them. Jesus how much something so little could add to the game.

# 51 The 24th Letter @ 08/07/15 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Yeah, that's likely a case of open-your-eyes-wide-so-we-can-get-a-proper-scan. Oops now your eyelids look off in a neutral position. It's a tricky problem that would either have to be hand tweaked after the scan or the scanning software would have to be able to scan multiple eyelid positions and interpolate between them to try to capture the width and shape of the folds correctly and how they might deform.

The cracked-out-Chris-Bosh effect in 2K14 might have been due to this.

No way CB was scanned.....I hope not lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 52 WTF @ 08/07/15 12:43 PM
Quote:

at the cracked out Chris Bosh. That was horrifying.

I showed the wife the comparison pic, and she said it looks way off. She's not a big sports fanatic, and doesn't know who he is period, but that's about as close of a comparison shot as it gets.

With all that said, hopefully they tweak the lighting to get a more accurate skintone, as that would go a long way in improving the likeness.

# 53 iLLWiLL @ 08/07/15 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
It's the lack of more defined specular highlights and what seems to be a lower intensity for the arena lights in comparison to the global and ambient illumination. As a result a lot of the structures and definition on players look a bit washed out.

What I don't want 2K to do is overdo it like Live, where everything looks rubbed down with oil and speculars are overdone to the point where they create white harsh noisy sparkles.

I think it may be the result of a little of both, lighting/illumination and some missing detail. But I agree, Live's models last year looked way too sweaty/oily/greasy, lol, it was way overdone, but at the same time I feel it look realistic because it gave off the impression that stadium lights were actually illuminating them, and you could also see the definition in players muscles (even if players were inaccurately muscular).

# 54 jayman504 @ 08/07/15 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
So...will AD get the same type of detail?
LOL dude I'm tryna eat lunch over here!!!

# 55 iNolaNightmare @ 08/07/15 12:45 PM
Surprised none of the equipment junkies have talked about the ankle braces. Were those in already? They look great.

# 56 The 24th Letter @ 08/07/15 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
at the cracked out Chris Bosh. That was horrifying.

I showed the wife the comparison pic, and she said it looks way off. She's not a big sports fanatic, and doesn't know who he is period, but that's about as close of a comparison shot as it gets.

With all that said, hopefully they tweak the lighting to get a more accurate skintone, as that would go a long way in improving the likeness.

That's funny, my wife was actually the one to tag me in the post on IG. She loved it....but that could be possibly be because she's turned into Curryfanatic since the Finals, lol

I still think it looks good but I can def see you guys point....I want to see his jumper now lol

# 57 Sundown @ 08/07/15 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLWiLL

Also, some of the flattening out may be due to the scanning process. If you look at a player as he's being scanned and lit from all directions, he actually kind of LOOKS like a player in game, as it effectively erases all shadows and produces a diffuse/albedo map with some ambient occlusion. This is good because you don't want fake baked shadows that don't match the lighting angle and environment and then you can light the model appropriately in scene.

But as you can see in the comparison shot, facial features in 2K don't self shadow, which also adds a lot to the dimensionality, but real-time self shadowing is a difficult problem and characters that are lit in a way that fits their environment are much more convincing than shadows painted on their faces inappropriately. But there's a lot of room for 2K to up the specular and fresnel effects though.

# 58 Sundown @ 08/07/15 01:03 PM
Quote:

It was a real scan.

Of an ostrich.

# 59 ojandpizza @ 08/07/15 01:05 PM

Lighting/skin looks amazing

# 60 Sundown @ 08/07/15 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza

Lighting/skin looks amazing

This zoomed out shot actually looks really nice from an overall lighting/skin tone perspective. So much detail and subtlety in the lighting even with fair complaints about highlights and brightness. And the accurate proportions help sell the illusion so much.

The game might look even more phenomenal in broadcast view. Now pair that with Curry's new animations.

First thing I'm doing in game is an off the dribble double cross escape step back 3.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.