Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

2K has just revealed the first NBA 2K16 digital short, titled Stephen Curry: Beyond the Shadows. The video showcases some of the first looks at NBA 2K16 gameplay.

The video chronicles the inspiring history of NBA superstar and cover athlete Steph Curry’s rise to dominance. Narrated by Spike Lee, the montage of gameplay and true life footage showcases Curry’s journey from being drafting by the Golden State Warriors to winning the 2014-15 NBA Championship.

This video is the first in a three part series focusing on the life story of NBA 2K16’s cover athletes, complementing this year’s #BeTheStory MyCAREER narrative.

We snipped out all of the NBA 2K16 footage from the video here, if you want to take a look.

NBA 2K16 will be available for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC on September 29. If you pre-order at participating North American retail and online vendors, you get it on September 25, along with in-game bonuses.

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 jbthegreat @ 08/10/15 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilley
They won't change the marketing strategy until they see a decrease in $$$.
unfortunately that seems to be the case. And that's a dangerous decision for them. Great customer service is so important in any industry. To have fans feeling dissatisfied for years due to lack of transparency is risky. 2K may be overestimating their brand loyalty I hope they don't come to regret it in the future.

# 102 jbthegreat @ 08/10/15 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
So let me get this straight you preordered the game months ago befote anything substantial was released in terms of game info and now you are complaining about how bad 2ks market strategy is and how they rely on their loyal fans when they pretty much had your money just by announcing that 2k16 was coming out.

You are pretty much giving them license to do exactly what your complaining about if you are preordering games before anything is shown or revealed. And just because they are asking you to preorder a game doesnt mean you have to. I could go to gamestop a week before release and preorder the game, doesn't need to be done months in advance. Likewise, if I wanted, I could preorder the game months in advance and then the day before go in and cancel it.
I agree. This will only change when NBA live becomes more of a threat.

# 103 jbthegreat @ 08/10/15 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGSW
Wasn't aimed at any one person. Apologies if it felt directed at you. It wad just the general collection of "blah blah 2k are hiding stuff blah blah. Why haven't they shown gameplay"

You would think people would be accustomed to it by now considering they do it every year and yet every year it's somehow a massive issue.
Just because we're accustomed to something doesn't mean It can't or shouldn't change.

# 104 The 24th Letter @ 08/10/15 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo.jangles344
I never mentioned "bad" and obviously "i don't like it" was running through my mind.

I just said it was pretentious and not sustainable if and when the competition steps up.

"Bad marketing" is thrown around here all the time...wasn't speaking about your post in particular. Was just saying there was a difference...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 105 jbthegreat @ 08/10/15 03:55 PM
Quote:
Also before anyone gets it twisted I'm not trying to nut hug 2k. Every year there's exploits and flaws. And there's always improvements to be made. But I personally feel that year after year they improve (overall) and that's no easy feat. They always release a top tier game, forget sports games, just games in general. It's always in my top 5 games each year.

And I find the fact that people doubt them due to a market strategy they've been using for years hilarious. I mean I get it if you're new to the franchise but if not.. you should know the script by now.

Just my opinion though. Not trying to offend anyone or whatever.
Never said I doubted them. I've been a fan since the first NBA 2K on Dreamcast and even before then when they worked on the NBA Action series for Saturn. The marketing team isn't the Dev team I have issues with the former.

# 106 BA2929 @ 08/10/15 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbthegreat
Just because we're accustomed to something doesn't mean It can't or shouldn't change.
What needs to change? What information do you not have that you feel you absolutely need 2 months from release?

I don't understand what you guys are complaining about here. The game releases in 46 days. That's plenty of time to release information about a game and for you to decide whether or not to buy it. You're acting like it comes out tomorrow and they've said nothing about the game at all.

# 107 Goffs @ 08/10/15 04:00 PM
Next years marketing should just have NBA2k17 and the pic of the coverboy with the caption "you know you'll buy it"

That should free up some of the budget to go to the lighting and sound department

Spoiler

# 108 jbthegreat @ 08/10/15 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
Next years marketing should just have NBA2k17 and the pic of the coverboy with the caption "you know you'll buy it"

That should free up some of the budget to go to the lighting and sound department

Spoiler
lol the should do that

# 109 BA2929 @ 08/10/15 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo.jangles344

Nolans batman trilogy is almost the best example i can give for what COULD happen with 2k.

He went from a low budget film in batman begins to hundred million dollar burgets but stuck to the core FEELING of the comics and in turn made it more appealing to everyone.
We're getting waaaay off topic here, but Batman Begins had a budget of $150 million. That is not low budget.

Like I said in my post above, I don't understand what more information you feel you need this far from release that's going to make such a huge difference in buying the game or not. I mean, who cares if new gameplay video comes out today or 10 days from release? You can still cancel a pre-order or choose not to buy a game in that amount of time.

I'm obviously not going to change your mind, so I'm just going to slink away and find something else to occupy my precious time surfing the net while at work.

# 110 scottyp180 @ 08/10/15 04:10 PM
Quote:
But that's the issue I have. Just because 2K seems to have a reliable brand why make the consumers beg for footage yearly just because you can. Many AAA games are reliable COD, HALO, Uncharted and none of them have the same marketing philosophy as 2k. 2k is literally the only AAA company that I know who does this and the worse part is that they only do it with their basketball franchise. This doesn't happen to games with their other games like Borderlands, WWE, or Mafia.
How does showing footage early necessarily help? People will see the footage, dissect the crap out of it, then after a week or two it's old news and people are ready for the next video.

It reminds me of a joke by, I believe, Katt Williams. He's talking about sex and how there are girls that won't put out easy. They make you wait and wait and by doing so they have you hooked. Your waiting for that moment and by the time it comes its great because you waited so long. If she gives it up quick and often you'll get bored of her quick. He also relates it to food, specifically crackers. If you eat the same crackers everything single day you'll get bored. Don't eat for a week and someone hands you a cracker your going to eat it and love every single Seco d "best damn cracker I ever had."

# 111 scottyp180 @ 08/10/15 04:36 PM
Quote:
Why should it change then? Because there a few people on OS that want information and gameplay sooner? As has been stated 2k isn't going to change their market strategy until they feel it is hurting the sales of their product.

And like every year once gameplay drops people aren't going to be saying "it's too late I'm not getting this game now" inless the game looks absolutely terrible. The worst people will say is "it's about time!" And more often than not "well worth the wait!". The marketing doesn't matter as long as the game is good. Once they stop delivering quality games the complaints just come off as people being impatient.

# 112 CavsFanSteve @ 08/10/15 04:42 PM
Ugh I see that Quicken Loans Arena is still very dark. Holding out hope it's an old build and it'll be fixed, but they have every arena looking like Staples Center.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

# 113 BluFu @ 08/10/15 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
Why should it change then? Because there a few people on OS that want information and gameplay sooner? As has been stated 2k isn't going to change their market strategy until they feel it is hurting the sales of their product.

And like every year once gameplay drops people aren't going to be saying "it's too late I'm not getting this game now" inless the game looks absolutely terrible. The worst people will say is "it's about time!" And more often than not "well worth the wait!". The marketing doesn't matter as long as the game is good. Once they stop delivering quality games the complaints just come off as people being impatient.
I guess people are just annoyed seeing more footage for games coming out in 2016 than one they're heavily anticipating next month.

# 114 jbthegreat @ 08/10/15 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFu
I guess people are just annoyed seeing more footage for games coming out in 2016 than one they're heavily anticipating next month.
yep that is it

# 115 scottyp180 @ 08/10/15 04:54 PM
Quote:
I mean I get that. I want to see footage as much as the next person. I come to OS every day hoping to see some kind of gameplay footage but I'm lying if I'm gna say that my decision to buy the game is going to be based on when 2k decides to release footage. They could release gameplay the day before release date and if it looks good I'll buy the game.

And even if they release footage early it really doesn't change much. We still need to wait the same amount of time for the game to drop and we will still be impatiently waiting for the next new video to drop.

# 116 Sitew33 @ 08/10/15 04:56 PM
To be honest, 2K isn't marketing the game to us. We're already hooked like drug addicts. Because of Sony and Microsoft and all the sign ins and online things associated with the game they can go back years to see who has consistently purchased the game and already know how many guaranteed sales they're gonna make. They are trying to expand their clientele base with how they market the game. Truth is... I'm so hooked that their marketing ploy for for 2K17 could be "2K17... Its Gonna Be So hot we're not telling you sh*t about it" and me along with most of y'all will have it day one. Period, LOL

# 117 redsox4evur @ 08/10/15 05:03 PM
Quote:
I hate when games release footage too soon. You're left wanting it for months.

I really hope one day a developer, preferably a big one like Rockstar, manages to keep a game quiet... and then just announces it all over social media and TV "Red Dead Redemption 2... out in 24 hours"

People would cream their pants. Lmao.
That would never happen and I can't see how that would be a good thing.

# 118 snocone @ 08/10/15 05:10 PM
Quote:
Well, I bet if 2K had 3-4 year dev cycles, you would see stuff a lot earlier

# 119 snocone @ 08/10/15 05:11 PM
Quote:

I really hope one day a developer, preferably a big one like Rockstar, manages to keep a game quiet... and then just announces it all over social media and TV "Red Dead Redemption 2... out in 24 hours"

Sega did this with one of their consoles and it absolutely tanked.

As much as die hards think things don't need marketing, they really do

# 120 scottyp180 @ 08/10/15 05:24 PM
Quote:

The closest thing to this would probably be PT. People had absolutely no idea what it was at first besides a "Playable Teaser" for a new horror game. Overnight it turned into "OMG scariest game ever AND they are making a new Silent Hills!" The demo amassed tins of downloads, don't know the exact number, pretty much based on word of mouth...or text.

I was a fan of Fallout 4's marketing as well. It was rumored to be in development for awhile but it's rare to see a AAA game (other than a yearly release title) announced the same year it releases and only several months before release at that. No pre rendered trailer, no alpha/ beta footage, just a straight up reveal and release date.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.