Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

Mike Wang, Gameplay Director for NBA 2K16 mentioned on Twitter that green releases are much rarer in NBA 2K16 and they will no longer be 100%.

He also mentions the following (in post #22):

Quote:
There have been battles even internally over missed green releases, especially now that they're so hard to get. I really think it's an unsolvable problem. The best news I can give you is that our shots engineer has made just about every knob I use to tune shooting modifiable on the server side post release just like a roster update. So if there's something the community isn't happy with I can tweak the system and update your games without the need for a patch. So what happened with patch 4 last year will never happen again.

UPDATE: Mike has chimed in on this topic with more details, to clear up any confusion (post #211)

Quote:
Let me clear up a few things as there's a lot of speculation going on right now. This is why I hate Twitter. But anyway...

I have not removed "user skill." There's still a great deal of weight applied to shot timing. So knowing your players' releases is still a key success factor. It's just that shot quality is much more important this year so you have to take good shots.

For those wondering how we made green releases more rare. It's done based on shot %. So if you take a low quality shot, you basically won't be able to achieve an excellent release. As your shot quality improves, the window for an excellent release grows. So again... take good shots.

Last year, green releases were meant to be 100%. If you saw one miss, that was a bug. A good bug... but a bug nonetheless. This year, the shot bonus for greens is still pretty high and it's based on the shot %. So the higher the %, the greater the excellent timing boost. This is basically how our shot system has always worked, I just tuned it. It's kind of a mix between what we had in 14 and 15. And yes, it does kind of suck to miss a green release, but over time, it feels right. Still, I might tweak the system after getting more feedback from everyone... but nobody is really complaining about it internally.

And why don't we just remove the shot meter? Too many people like it and it's still a valuable tool. Not everyone has the time (or desire) to memorize the shot timing for hundreds of players in the league. And if you like to play with lots of teams, or just want to experiment with a new team, the shot meter is very helpful. You can always turn it off if you want.

Last thing, we CAN tune offline differently from online. So I'll be monitoring feedback closely once you guys have the game to make sure everybody's happy.

He also added this on Twitter...

Quote:
New Shot Meter option for #NBA2K16 called "Feedback Only." Meter won't draw while shooting, only after release to show how close you were.

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 mostpured @ 08/11/15 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrman7
But why make the green release harder to get AND not 100%? It doesn't make sense to me...
Exactly

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

# 62 yungsta404 @ 08/11/15 03:28 PM
I've had my green release blocked a couple of times lol

# 63 NINJAK2 @ 08/11/15 03:28 PM
Quote:
But why make the green release harder to get AND not 100%? It doesn't make sense to me...
It will probably make more sense barr once we get a chance to actually play the game and experience it for ourselves. We should all reserve judgement until we get hands on experience and try to avoid jumping to conclusions on how it will or won't work well...

# 64 b1baller @ 08/11/15 03:38 PM
I feel as though I make a lot of non green releases anyway, so this wont affect me that much because I max out my shot rating. I think its more about your players shooting rating then anything. If your shooting rating is at a 10 and you get a green release, you shouldn't make that shot.

# 65 sooperb @ 08/11/15 03:50 PM
I actually don't understand wht we cant get constant green releases if we actually are releasing it perfectly. Some players have shots that some people can master but if they release at the point it is intended for them to release and there is no perfect release then isn't that actually a lie?

Just make it to where we know we are shooting the jumper correctly by making the shot meter CORRECT and CONSISTENT. That shouldnt mean the shot is 100% money, but that you gave your self the best possible chance to hit the shot taken at that moment whether or not it's an open look or contested by 3 defenders.

Can we get an online practice court to learn our jumpshots ONLINE with the slight latency??

# 66 ataman5 @ 08/11/15 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
There have been battles even internally over missed green releases, especially now that they're so hard to get. I really think it's an unsolvable problem. The best news I can give you is that our shots engineer has made just about every knob I use to tune shooting modifiable on the server side post release just like a roster update. So if there's something the community isn't happy with I can tweak the system and update your games without the need for a patch. So what happened with patch 4 last year will never happen again.
You are and have always been the man!

# 67 BA2929 @ 08/11/15 04:16 PM
Quote:
I agree, but I guess we need to just get into the mindset that the shot meter is now nothing but a timing mechanism to get the best chance of a shot to fall. I'll probably end up turning it off in 2k16, as it really serves no point to anything but assisting on timing with weird shooting animations like Shaq free throws or MKG ugly shots.

I think they should tone down the green releases to a small margin and still make them 100%. Perhaps throw in a different color for slight misses.

I'll end up getting used to this, as I always do with changes in sports games, but right now it disappoints me that these changes seem to be made exclusively due to the online audience.

# 68 Ownal0t @ 08/11/15 04:28 PM
Once the BS this post from the 2k14 RTTP topic is reffering to doesnt happen, i dont care. its funny tho cause even with the meter being in 15 this same **** still happens <_<.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary24
I don't think people are angry about not making every shot, it's just frustrating when you miss a shot like this

and your opponent comes down the court and makes these all game

# 69 jfsolo @ 08/11/15 04:37 PM
They never should have used the word "perfect" for any shot release.It's an inescapable albatross. It creates, IMO, an erroneous expectation of what should occur, that those shots should always go in. They then made it worse by actually tuning the game to match that expectation. They've now made a logical course correction, but the damage has been done. Many are going to scream bloody murder when any "perfect" shots are missed. The tears are going to be torrential. They should get rid of the word perfect post haste.

# 70 Chemthethriller @ 08/11/15 04:42 PM
Can we talk about the real problem here? the fact that a stepback provides the idea of an open shot, and seems to have little to no impact on your shot. thus your ability to contest the shot is minimal, and the shooter is perceived by the CPU as "open" thus the perfects and on the line shots drop consistently.

Go watch a rec or play in one LD2k, the "best" shooters tend to run to the left or right, stepback, and pop 3s as if they are shooting free throws.

We need a dribble fatigue system, because even the best conditioned players, and best shooters, can do continuous dribble moves to hit deep shots.

The worst is when a shooter passes up a wide open shot, because they are so used to the overpowered dribble moves that the dribble into a defender only to stepback and hit it in his face from 30 ft away.

Also on top of this 2k has made the most important attribute playmaking by far, as you can perfect a shot and have 5 on outside shooting combined with 20 on playmaking, and drop buckets from anywhere on the court with overpowered dribble moves.

Ive experienced a player by himself beating 3-5 defenders for 70 points.... continuous dribbling and stepbacks that made him "open" yet we stopped even guarding the other players because he wouldnt pass...

This type of gameplay lead to everyone attempting to take charges on people before the shot could even go up because we know it's going to drop if it leaves his hands...

Even greats in the game rarely take on a double team from the 3pt line, most will pass or at worst attempt to split them and get to the rim, but not in 2k where it's rewarded to play like a ballhog and jack up shot after shot with overpowered dribble moves.

# 71 Chocolate Chip @ 08/11/15 04:43 PM
just bring back the old shooting system prior to 2k15 or if anything real player %

# 72 Hustle Westbrook @ 08/11/15 04:45 PM
Is shot fatigue also still in the game?

# 73 Rockie_Fresh88 @ 08/11/15 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle Westbrook
Is shot fatigue also still in the game?
It got toned down a lot barely noticeable now

# 74 The 24th Letter @ 08/11/15 04:57 PM
Sounds good to me....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 75 OG_Almighty @ 08/11/15 05:00 PM
I'm excited about this yet worried at the same time. I get quite a few green releases already so it will be nerve racking having to guess if they will go in or not. Let's wait and see how this works. On the other hand, why wouldn't they just make it harder to get a green release rather than make the green release inconsistent.

# 76 OG_Almighty @ 08/11/15 05:05 PM
I'm excited about this yet worried at the same time. I get quite a few green releases already so it will be nerve racking having to guess if they will go in or not. Let's wait and see how this works. On the other hand, why wouldn't they just make it harder to get a green release rather than make the green release inconsistent.

# 77 mostpured @ 08/11/15 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperb
I actually don't understand wht we cant get constant green releases if we actually are releasing it perfectly. Some players have shots that some people can master but if they release at the point it is intended for them to release and there is no perfect release then isn't that actually a lie?

Just make it to where we know we are shooting the jumper correctly by making the shot meter CORRECT and CONSISTENT. That shouldnt mean the shot is 100% money, but that you gave your self the best possible chance to hit the shot taken at that moment whether or not it's an open look or contested by 3 defenders.

Can we get an online practice court to learn our jumpshots ONLINE with the slight latency??
They need to fix the latency, having an online practice would be the ultimate troll.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

# 78 Ownal0t @ 08/11/15 05:28 PM
that post about the over dribbling. ALL MY YESES. im sorry but things like that makes me really think the people behind 2k (espcially in the park) has NEVER touched a BBALL outside of a mandatory gym class. NOBODY should be able to dribble for 22 of the 24 seconds like shown in the park to get rewarded with a point at the end that looks EFFORTLESS. like come on, stop enabling people from doing this BS and being rewarded. i have no problem with people using the prostick but bruh <_<.

shot fatigue needs to come back, and i hate that im saying this. its funny watching people take shot after shot after shot with no penalty anymore or (since the demi gods came) to see people with the G! Symbol in the recv pulling up from near half court still draining shots. Limit that too while we are at it.

# 79 SuperNoVa27 @ 08/11/15 05:31 PM
Still a fan of the older system.

If I learn a players release, I should be able to get a "perfect" release with that player on every jumpshot. That doesn't mean the shot should go in. No one in the NBA makes every shot.

The meter telling me I was slightly late when I know for a fact I released the button at the right moment is just frustrating as hell.

# 80 EarvGotti @ 08/11/15 05:32 PM
This is EXCELLENT NEWS. Perfect releases always going in took away some of the excitement of the game. Games became routine and nothing but a shot meter mini game instead of REAL BASKETBALL.

Even though a shot was released perfectly and it feels good, doesn't mean the shot will always go in.

I just hope they keep it like this for the whole year and don't crack to the casuals that are complaining about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.