Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

Mike Stauffer, AKA Beds, has just posted an in-depth look at the changes to the NBA 2K16 ratings system. It is definitely an interesting approach that will generate plenty of discussion. Read it over and post your thoughts.

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 philly guy @ 08/23/15 03:34 PM
I would also call Moses Malone as the best offensive rebounder in history.

# 162 redsox4evur @ 08/23/15 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool318
So if we're going to compare these players to the GOAT... Kobe should be up there.

That being said, i know he just turned 37 and his form is questionable. But i should note, he led the NBA in scoring for quite sometime last season.

Kobe - 87?

Fair to me
There's a difference between being a scorer and scoring a ton on a bad team which Kobe did. He ain't the player used to be. He should be somewhere in the low 80's. He's not an elite athlete anymore. He is coming off another leg injury. He isn't durable at all. Can't remember the last time he played more than 60 games.

# 163 Sundown @ 08/23/15 03:57 PM
Quote:
So if we're going to compare these players to the GOAT... Kobe should be up there.

That being said, i know he just turned 37 and his form is questionable. But i should note, he led the NBA in scoring for quite sometime last season.

Kobe - 87?

Fair to me

Chucking at abominably low efficiency on stupid high volume isn't hard. There are plenty of players that can do that. Just few have Kobe's clout where they wouldn't get immediately benched. Plus his defense is atrocious.

80-81 is pretty generous. 82-83 if he actually starts playing with any semblance of shot selection and teamwork.

Lol. Old Kobe is not only 4 points lower than prime Durant.

# 164 eko718 @ 08/23/15 04:00 PM
Quote:

Kobe - 87?

Fair to me
I'm pretty sure ratings for the 2015-2016 season will be heavily based on performance during the 2014-2015 season. The question is not the greatness of any particular player, but how do they currently measure up in each ratings category, compared to the best ever recorded statistical data for a given category.

Last year, it was said that they use a 3 year look back to develop ratings with the most recent season having the most weight, so these are not lifetime achievement ratings.

# 165 Wildcats302 @ 08/23/15 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
There's a difference between being a scorer and scoring a ton on a bad team which Kobe did. He ain't the player used to be. He should be somewhere in the low 80's. He's not an elite athlete anymore. He is coming off another leg injury. He isn't durable at all. Can't remember the last time he played more than 60 games.
Just every season in his career before the last two seasons. If you can't remember that, I guess you just don't have a great memory...which is cool.

I do not disagree with his rating in the low 80s, especially if they are changing the ratings and moving a lot of people down.

# 166 Sundown @ 08/23/15 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyTV
Might wanna tone it down there coach. Kobe still averaged over 20ppg last season, GIVEN, all that you said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While chucking. Pure PPG without regards to efficiency and attempts is about one of the least informative stats.

# 167 Sundown @ 08/23/15 05:04 PM
Quote:
Look at the team around him dude. But aye, don't take it from me: https://youtu.be/6d2WSBadyTU

His team sucks but he still plays horrible, inefficient ball. Partly because his skill and vertical is declining and partly because he refuses to concede or find other options to get an offense going (even when it already was going). I actually watched him shoot his own team out of games taking repeated turnaround fades when they were up.

It's ineffective basketball where he ices out any semblance of team offense. Literally anyone decent at basketball could do what he did last season. Nick Young could if you allowed him that many shots. I have rarely seen basketball played that stubbornly bad from a star as if he was trying to prove some ironic point through basketball as performance shock art. You would never have seen that from Jordan. I remember the times Kobe missed games or was benched in a blowout and the Lakers scrubs would suddenly play with ball movement and chemistry looking like an actual, motivated NBA team. No, Kobe's teammates weren't good. But he seemed determined to make the least out of them almost to prove a point.

And SAS and Bayless are two of the worst commenters. Their job is to say ridiculous things to incite the lowest common denominator-- they're orchestrated troll jobs as entertainment. You could not have picked a worse example. Heh. Try Zach Lowe for actual intelligent analysis. Anything but First Take (or Barkley).

I still think Kobe has some left in the tank, but he is playing like a terrible, ineffective player. I don't know how you rank someone who likely has some skill left but chooses to play horribly. I suppose if you only rate him on what he can do when he's not playing that way you would have a higher rating-- but then Josh Smith would be a good player.

But it stands that no way is he anything but a low 80's and PPG tells nothing especially if you're shooting sub 40% to get it. In fact it's quite damning.

# 168 Hustle Westbrook @ 08/23/15 05:07 PM
Kobe is horribly inefficient now and hasn't been a top 10 player in the league since 2013.

He shouldn't be more than an 83.

# 169 Trackball @ 08/23/15 05:11 PM
Quote:
Look at the team around him dude. But aye, don't take it from me: https://youtu.be/6d2WSBadyTU

And that makes this justified? Instead of...I don't know...PASSING?

http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/2014/11/...left-for-kobe/

(And I think this thread's been derailed enough...)

# 170 Sundown @ 08/23/15 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackball
And that makes this justified? Instead of...I don't know...PASSING?

http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/2014/11/...left-for-kobe/

(And I think this thread's been derailed enough...)

Heh. To be honest, when discussing the ratings of NBA players, I never understood why discussing the ACTUAL players themselves in depth and at length is considered derailing. It seems necessary to me in determining ratings that encompass all factors and relevant contexts.

Without in depth, nuanced discussion that rivals an actual basketball board, we just have causal hand waved impressions based on PER or PPG to work with. And that's everything we say we don't want.

# 171 Trackball @ 08/23/15 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Heh. To be honest, when discussing the ratings of NBA players, I never understood why discussing the ACTUAL players themselves in depth and at length is considered derailing. It seems necessary to me in determining ratings that encompass all factors and relevant contexts.

Without in depth, nuanced discussion that rivals an actual basketball board, we just have causal hand waved impressions based on PER or PPG to work with. And that's everything we say we don't want.
Well, PER isn't something you should totally disregard.

I mean, yeah, the difference between 30 and 29 is debatable (one should then look into other numbers to see what your team needs more), but you'd still want a player with a PER of 30 instead of a player with a PER of 10.

# 172 LO6IX @ 08/23/15 05:31 PM
I'm not feeling this. They're underrating current players just to overrate retired players, only to build the current players back up with roster updates. Is this by any chance tied to the dynamic cards in MyTeam and them wanting the base cards to be nerfed?
Chris Paul is the best mid range shooter in the NBA but he's probably not going to get the rating he deserves because Michael Jordan was also a great mid range shooter. Because Michael Jordan is Michael Jordan and he's retired they have to make today's players lose attribute points? I don't get this. Are Terrence Ross and Gerald Green going to get a lower driving dunk ratings because they aren't considered all-time greats like '00 Vince Carter, Julius Erving, and Jordan?
Maybe I'm just misunderstanding this whole thing. Isn't LeBron considered an all time great already? If they're going to dock his attributes then they should do the same to other legends too.

# 173 JazzMan @ 08/23/15 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO6IX
I'm not feeling this. They're underrating current players just to overrate retired players, only to build the current players back up with roster updates. Is this by any chance tied to the dynamic cards in MyTeam and them wanting the base cards to be nerfed?
Chris Paul is the best mid range shooter in the NBA but he's probably not going to get the rating he deserves because Michael Jordan was also a great mid range shooter. Because Michael Jordan is Michael Jordan and he's retired they have to make today's players lose attribute points? I don't get this. Are Terrence Ross and Gerald Green going to get a lower driving dunk ratings because they aren't considered all-time greats like '00 Vince Carter, Julius Erving, and Jordan?
Maybe I'm just misunderstanding this whole thing. Isn't LeBron considered an all time great already? If they're going to dock his attributes then they should do the same to other legends too.
I don't think you get it.

If Player A is the best 3-point shooter in NBA history and is retired, and Player B is currently the best 3PT shooter in the league, but not the shooter that Player A is, then why should he get Player A's rating? What if Player C develops his shot to match Player A as the best 3PT shooter of all time and surpasses Player B?

# 174 Sundown @ 08/23/15 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackball
Well, PER isn't something you should totally disregard.

I mean, yeah, the difference between 30 and 29 is debatable (one should then look into other numbers to see what your team needs more), but you'd still want a player with a PER of 30 instead of a player with a PER of 10.

PER is pretty bad because it doesn't penalize for inefficiency on offense and doesn't incorporate any of the little things on defense or offense that don't show up on a box score but show up on the scoreboard.

It tends to overrate high volume chuckers and underrate gritty glue guys with high basketball iq, defense, that make the right plays and result in better point differentials.

JR Smith has a higher PER than Finals MVP Iguodala.

Jamal Crawford has a higher PER than Defensive Player of the Year runner up Draymond Green.

I pretty much knew who to check to find guys who are overrated and underrated by PER and where the lower rated PER players are massively more impactful than their similarly or better rated peers. Actually that's probably a little unfair to JR since he was playing with better defense and efficiency than he ever had once he joined the Cavs. But he's not close to the impact an Iguodala is.

A better stat is RAPM or RPM, but there's a fair amount of noise and one needs to know to filter out the low minute backups when they show up high.

PER is only really kind of useful between players with similar roles and usage, and even then it doesn't account for efficiency and defense enough, which is why Westbrook's stat padding 30+ PER isn't as impressive as Davis's.

# 175 LO6IX @ 08/23/15 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzMan
I don't think you get it.

If Player A is the best 3-point shooter in NBA history and is retired, and Player B is currently the best 3PT shooter in the league, but not the shooter that Player A is, then why should he get Player A's rating? What if Player C develops his shot to match Player A as the best 3PT shooter of all time and surpasses Player B?
In a lot of minds the best 3 point shooter ever is active and is only 27. The second best is semi-retired. It just doesn't make sense for them to take attributes away from someone because some else who played before them was great at the same thing.

# 176 JazzMan @ 08/23/15 05:58 PM
Quote:
In a lot of minds the best 3 point shooter ever is active and is only 27. The second best is semi-retired. It just doesn't make sense for them to take attributes away from someone because some else who played before them was great at the same thing.
I know, I was just using it as an example.

They aren't taking attributes away. What they're doing is letting the greatest players in the game set the standards for current and future players. Current players are going to play like themselves, don't worry.

# 177 Sundown @ 08/23/15 06:01 PM
Quote:
They're not doing that. They're just ranking each ability based on the best ever at that ability being 99.

Jordan being great at midranges won't make anyone worse than they really are. In fact Jordan probably doesn't have the highest midrange rating. Jordan will just be rated at 99 OVERALL, and the overall scaling will be scaled according to him as well.

If a current player IS the best ever at a ability, then they WILL be rated 99. For example, Curry will likely have a 99 rating on off-the-dribble 3 point shooting and the highest total amongst all 3-point categories. Or he better.

# 178 LO6IX @ 08/23/15 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTHEGAWD
How is KD only a 91? Steph better not have a higher rating than LeBron too, LeBron deserved a 95 his RS stats weren't as good as past year's due to injuries and adjusting to a new system but he was sensational in the playoffs.

I always tinker with the ratings and make my own roster when the game comes out actually analyzing advanced stats and shooting charts so it really doesn't matter to me.

Also, why is that scrub Dellavadova a 71 he deserves nothing above a 69...

2K will make '98 Michael Jordan a 99 and then give players like LBJ and KD who were better than him by that point less than a 95 c'mon a lot of these historical players are overpowered if we're being real yet they set the bar.
Wow I said the exact same thing. Jordan declined after baseball athletically and defensively but they give him the same defensive stats as his 27 year old self. Just yesterday I said that 2013-2014 KD and LeBron shouldn't be rated lower than 35 year old Jordan and all hell broke loose.

Look at Pink Diamond Jordan. He somehow gets better rebounding than Pink Diamond LeBron. It makes no sense.

# 179 Chemthethriller @ 08/23/15 06:18 PM
I really hope that this means that although my 3pt shot is maxed out, I need to hit a bunch of 3pt shots to improve the rating on MyPlayer.

It would be nice to see MyPlayers attributes somehow reflect how they play online/offline...

If all you do is chuck 3s, fine have a high 3pt rating, but your passing, offensive rebounding, driving, post game attributes will suffer.

I don't understand why 2k allows people to be all around gods. There hasn't ever been a single player that could shoot like curry and post like Hakeem ever constantly, yet it's a couple 1,000 VC away from being able to do it...

# 180 jeebs9 @ 08/23/15 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
You don't pick the conference you play in, just like the Warriors didn't get to choose that every team they faced starting PG be injured....but that's how it happened.....think it's silly to try to discredit LBJs performance or the Warriors accomplishments because of either of those things....

Thank you... I was done talking to that guy a few pages ago. I really hate when people live in this fantasy world of b.s.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.