Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post

Over on our YouTube channel, I took a deeper look at penalties in Madden NFL 16. Penalties are a focus in the game this season, so I tweaked the new penalty sliders and played a game to see what results came about. In the end, Joe Flacco is definitely the star of the show.

It's also fair to confirm that the penalty sliders work. Simply moving them plus-10 impacted the game in a major way. I would say be very careful when tweaking these sliders.

(Note: If you head to YouTube and check out the full description below the video, you will find time stamps for each penalty in the game. If you click a time stamp, it will take you right to that exact penalty.)

Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 24 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 SmashMan @ 08/26/15 04:25 AM
Tried to play one game with the sliders all cranked up to 100. Could barely get through the first quarter because all the stoppages became annoying, haha. Good problem to have as the sliders definitely work. Nothing exciting from an animation standpoint. Many of the penalties were offensive line holding calls, mixed in with a few blocks in the back and one or two QB roughing flops.

Really interested in playing around with these a little more tomorrow.

# 42 Smallville102001 @ 08/26/15 04:54 AM
So I just played my second game a crazy 41-34 game where I was up by 14 blew the lead and then scored to take the lead back with about a minute left. But any way I had 18 penalties in the game CPU had 8 and I had 10. I had like 6 in the 3erd quarter and that really killed me. I had 2 holdings on the same drive and in the quarter I also got called for PI and offside like twice and a face mask like 1 or 2 times. This was with ever thing I think at 60 out side of holding left that at 50 and I think I left roughing the kick and QB at 50. Even in the past holding if you put it to much higher then 50 you would get holding calls like 3 plays and kind of the same with roughing the kick to so that is why I kept those at 50. In the past about the only thing you would ever see called is roughing the kick or QB and holding and like nothing else. I have now seen 2 PI on d both where by me and granted I only played madden 15 for like 2 maybe 3 months but in that time I never saw a single PI either way even with that slider at 100 last year. I have yet to see a holding call vs the d though.

# 43 cool667 @ 08/26/15 09:04 AM
i have them all at 0 and still get call offside

# 44 Millennium @ 08/26/15 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool667
i have them all at 0 and still get call offside
Are you initiating the offisides? I believe user initiated calls are not controlled by the sliders.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

# 45 ChaseB @ 08/26/15 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
Tried to play one game with the sliders all cranked up to 100. Could barely get through the first quarter because all the stoppages became annoying, haha. Good problem to have as the sliders definitely work. Nothing exciting from an animation standpoint. Many of the penalties were offensive line holding calls, mixed in with a few blocks in the back and one or two QB roughing flops.

Really interested in playing around with these a little more tomorrow.
Yeah please do, interesting to hear all the results. And yeah those sliders are no joke once you boost them, no doubt about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville102001
So I just played my second game a crazy 41-34 game where I was up by 14 blew the lead and then scored to take the lead back with about a minute left. But any way I had 18 penalties in the game CPU had 8 and I had 10. I had like 6 in the 3erd quarter and that really killed me. I had 2 holdings on the same drive and in the quarter I also got called for PI and offside like twice and a face mask like 1 or 2 times. This was with ever thing I think at 60 out side of holding left that at 50 and I think I left roughing the kick and QB at 50. Even in the past holding if you put it to much higher then 50 you would get holding calls like 3 plays and kind of the same with roughing the kick to so that is why I kept those at 50. In the past about the only thing you would ever see called is roughing the kick or QB and holding and like nothing else. I have now seen 2 PI on d both where by me and granted I only played madden 15 for like 2 maybe 3 months but in that time I never saw a single PI either way even with that slider at 100 last year. I have yet to see a holding call vs the d though.
Good to hear the penalties were still substantial at 60. Penalty variety I'm sure they can still work on for next season but this is a good step I hope.

# 46 howboutdat @ 08/26/15 03:06 PM
i have noticed this in the past, so im not surprised, Some penalty things you can move by 10 and its not a big diff , but one you notice. There are a few, i wouldnt move but 1 point at a time to test. Roughing the passer is def one, as well as facemask .

# 47 ChaseB @ 08/26/15 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
i have noticed this in the past, so im not surprised, Some penalty things you can move by 10 and its not a big diff , but one you notice. There are a few, i wouldnt move but 1 point at a time to test. Roughing the passer is def one, as well as facemask .
I think you should boost roughing the passer to 100. The dives the QBs take after barely being touched are beyond glorious. Jon Bois is going to have a FIELD DAY with these sliders, can't wait.

# 48 Smallville102001 @ 08/26/15 05:16 PM
Any one seen Holding on the d yet? I have played 3 games so far are with holding on d at 60 and none yet.

# 49 bcruise @ 08/26/15 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville102001
Any one seen Holding on the d yet? I have played 3 games so far are with holding on d at 60 and none yet.
Upthread:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...6&postcount=37

# 50 SmashMan @ 08/26/15 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
I think you should boost roughing the passer to 100. The dives the QBs take after barely being touched are beyond glorious. Jon Bois is going to have a FIELD DAY with these sliders, can't wait.
Not even 100. I bumped it up to 55 just to get it above default and had Drew Brees flopping from a defender walking into him and their shoulders touching.

# 51 bcruise @ 08/26/15 06:11 PM
Okay, so this is a bit concerning.

After having several exhibition games with a decent (not great) number of penalties with the sliders at 50, I went into an online solo CFM to test out the gameplay there. The gameplay itself was fine (the Giants blew me out 44-20 - ran all over me and I threw 2 ugly picks), but the penalties...didn't exist. Not a single one.

Going to play another one (week 2) to see if that was just a fluke, because I hope the exhibition and CFM settings are truly the same.

# 52 wordtobigbird @ 08/26/15 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise

After having several exhibition games with a decent (not great) number of penalties with the sliders at 50, I went into an online solo CFM to test out the gameplay there. The gameplay itself was fine (the Giants blew me out 44-20 - ran all over me and I threw 2 ugly picks), but the penalties...didn't exist. Not a single one.

Going to play another one (week 2) to see if that was just a fluke, because I hope the exhibition and CFM settings are truly the same.
The difference between the gameplay in play now and CFM has always been an issue for me.

# 53 ChaseB @ 08/26/15 07:32 PM
Quote:

Please do report back.

# 54 bcruise @ 08/26/15 08:29 PM
Quote:
Please do report back.
Yeah, this may be a thing unfortunately. 1 penalty in the second game - a defensive holding.

Going to test the worst case scenario on my next game - maxing all the penalties and unleashing what is hopefully chaos. Defensive Holding is the one penalty I can't tweak due to that strange bug, so I'm happy that that one appeared in the last game.

I know A&S is testing CFM penalties (and seeing them), but he's in offline CFM and not online - there may be a difference there.

Edit: LOL. Facemask on the opening kick return. This probably won't take too long....

Edit 2: Another facemask on the first scrimmage play.

# 55 ChaseB @ 08/26/15 08:55 PM
Quote:
Yeah, this may be a thing unfortunately. 1 penalty in the second game - a defensive holding.

Going to test the worst case scenario on my next game - maxing all the penalties and unleashing what is hopefully chaos. Defensive Holding is the one penalty I can't tweak due to that strange bug, so I'm happy that that one appeared in the last game.

I know A&S is testing CFM penalties (and seeing them), but he's in offline CFM and not online - there may be a difference there.

Edit: LOL. Facemask on the opening kick return. This probably won't take too long....

Edit 2: Another facemask on the first scrimmage play.
What's the weird defensive holding bug?

Based on the edits, looks like maybe just boost them a bit more or it was all small sample I guess.

# 56 bcruise @ 08/26/15 08:59 PM
Quote:
What's the weird defensive holding bug?

Based on the edits, looks like maybe just boost them a bit more or it was all small sample I guess.
The defensive holding setting doesn't stick when you leave the penalty menu in CFM. It resets to 50 when you re-enter.

3 facemasks and one block in the back with 5 minutes to play in the 1st quarter. I'll keep playing for a bit, but I may not suffer through this whole thing. Just want to see some other stuff besides facemasks.

At least one slider definitely works.

# 57 bcruise @ 08/26/15 09:09 PM
Yeah I think we're good. The total damage after 1 quarter:

3 Facemask

2 Block in back

1 "Roughing" the Passer (that hilarious looking flop by the QB)

1 Encroachment (legit, caused by CPU jumping into an OL)

If those happen in online CFM, I have no reason to believe the others won't if the slider's high enough.

# 58 ChaseB @ 08/26/15 09:33 PM
Quote:
Yeah I think we're good. The total damage after 1 quarter:

3 Facemask

2 Block in back

1 "Roughing" the Passer (that hilarious looking flop by the QB)

1 Encroachment (legit, caused by CPU jumping into an OL)

If those happen in online CFM, I have no reason to believe the others won't if the slider's high enough.
Good to know, thanks bcruise.

# 59 cool667 @ 08/26/15 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
Are you initiating the offisides? I believe user initiated calls are not controlled by the sliders.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
no i just don't like playing with the flags on

# 60 booker21 @ 08/26/15 11:19 PM
Quote:
Please do report back.
This is true. Penalties on CFM work very different.

I never played play now, i went directly to CFM because i knew gameplay is not always the same. So after 11 or so games, of tuning penalty sliders and get around 6 per team avg. I decided to play a play now game. I couldn`t end it. Penalties were all over the place. I have some penalties sliders at 75 that worked perfeclty on CFM but for play now is too high.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.