Home
NBA Live 16 News Post

The NBA Live Stream Team have posted a video interview with the Sean O'Brien and Erika Esola-Imburgio.

There are some audio issues at the beginning, but it clears up later on. Mrprice33 has given us an update on some of the details mentioned below, but watch and listen to the interview here.
  • The gameplay here is from Live 15
  • Editing talk at about 15:30- Sean said "I want to take the responsibility to ensure that the 450 or so players in the game and the things happening with them is accurate."
  • At 17:00 he talks about the tip-off going straight to the PG. Will remain the same for 16 but they want to get it fixed for 17.
  • Goal is to have roster updates at least once weekly for ratings, equipment, etc. "If anything major happens it'll be updated the next day."
  • 20:00 is talk about AI improvements, Live Motion, team sets, etc. Heavy investment on AI improvements on offense and defense. "Haven't had a Live game where you can guard the basketball as well as in 16." Says that teams like the Warriors will play a lot faster and have a unique identity.
  • 22 minutes or so is ratings talk. Erika says that 90+ ratings are reserved for superstars, and that there's a bigger drop off between them and stars/rotation players/etc
  • 29 minutes: multiple versions of players for LUT. 93 Larry Bird is different from Legend Larry Bird. Rookie LeBron.
  • 32 minutes: can deny the ball this year, lot of work with defensive AI, players recognize when they are 1 or 2 passes away. Can't barrel over helpside defenders and get to the rim, more jostling and dribble bumps, more turnovers in paint.
  • 34:30: cannot fake dribble handoff, but it's defensible with coverages like pick and roll. Sean mentions that they've shown gameplay and will show it again on demo day. Seems to indicate no more raw gameplay footage.
  • Then at around 37 minutes he says there is something coming next week with raw gameplay. So do with that what you will.
  • 42 minutes talks about transition play, different per team, spacing is better with hit ahead and shooters finding the corners. Manual boxing out is in the game, get rewarded for it in teammate grade in Live Run/Summer Circuit.
  • 45 minutes: When asked if there have been any improvements to dynasty, Sean says that it's better but there has been no real innovation there this year, something they want to focus on for 17. Pivots to Pro-Am as real focus for this year, along with controls and gameplay.
  • 49 minutes: 6 different cameras this year, new default camera, hybrid between baseline and sideline camera.

Game: NBA Live 16Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 4 - View All
NBA Live 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 WTF @ 08/28/15 03:19 PM
It's minor, and purely aesthetic, but I get it. 9 times out of 10, if you win the tip, the first thing you do is pass to the point. This eliminates that step, but I'd still rather have an organic loose ball tip.

# 42 The 24th Letter @ 08/28/15 03:41 PM
If I can defend the rim....they can play rock, paper, scissors to see who gets first ball for all I care....

but I can respect that some want it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 43 zrohman @ 08/28/15 04:35 PM
If the gameplay is great... I guess I could overlook it as long as the gameplay is great and most legacy bugs gone.

I just thought about it... The one thing I am loving about Live is their version of my career isn't based on VC from what I saw . Only ultimate team. When your already paying $60 and it's STILL a PAY TO WIN game. I can't stand it. Yes you don't need it but your at a huge disadvantage. I don't say that as a bash. Just a positive for Live. Also live is solid online always and defense is much more responsive.. I just worry that there are other bugs they are hiding in live

# 44 DblocW @ 08/28/15 04:50 PM
Hmmm interesting. Dunno what to say or think yet....ill save that for later if and when it comes.

# 45 mrprice33 @ 08/28/15 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrohman
If the gameplay is great... I guess I could overlook it as long as the gameplay is great and most legacy bugs gone.

I just thought about it... The one thing I am loving about Live is their version of my career isn't based on VC from what I saw . Only ultimate team. When your already paying $60 and it's STILL a PAY TO WIN game. I can't stand it. Yes you don't need it but your at a huge disadvantage. I don't say that as a bash. Just a positive for Live. Also live is solid online always and defense is much more responsive.. I just worry that there are other bugs they are hiding in live
There will be bugs in every game, of course. I'm sure Live will have some that we'll have so much fun finding (sarcasm) but I don't think that's a reflection on anything other than the realities of software development.

# 46 zrohman @ 08/28/15 05:56 PM
If the bug is late game ai then we have a problem. If it's a bug like that.. The inexcusable ones that shouldn't have even been in Live 14.

I worry that game breaking bugs are there.. Hopefully not

# 47 scottyp180 @ 08/28/15 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodbetatted
Maybe I'm a glass half full kind of guy because although they arent adding roster editing, that doesnt break the game for me seeing I wouldn't be doing it anyway. I would more be playing the game than actual editing rosters. But anyway i rather focus on the things they are improving than the 1 or 2 things that they arent focusing on this year. Yea Dynasty and roster editing is cool to some, but every young person I speak with is all about a "MyPark mode" or some type of "rising star" mode. So it may be that EA is focusing its marketing on a younger crowd as of right now. I believe they should add a more in depth dynasty mode, CFM, and roster editing, but I will not allow that to take away from what they have improved on. Yea 2k has all that good stuff, but 2ks foundation was built back in 05, NBA Live's foundation is still being built, and as they build it they are trying to add more modes slowly but surely. It seems everyone wants NBA Live to do everything they want in one development cycle, when one their dev team is not as big as 2ks, and 2 thats just unrealistic to ask for anyway. I expect to see consistent improvement year over year, 15 was better than 14 even though that wasnt hard to do, I enjoyed 15 this year, even though I admit 2k was the more complete game. From this interview here 14 and 15 were a night and day difference and he said the difference from 15 to 16 is even greater.
I wouldn't necessarily say a young crowd but just a wider range in general. Let's say they just focused on Dynasty. That would be great, especially for Dynasty players, but where does that leave the fans that want more modes? By adding new modes like My Park and Pro Am they can win some more fans that enjoy online centric modes.

To me this just shows the Live is building on their foundation. Come next year they are going to be in good position to really start competing with 2K on all fronts. From what we know now Live has stepped up on visuals, gameplay, and modes. Next year they can focus on actually going deeper and adding some more depth to the game (in terms of gameplay, features, and modes).

Unfortunately it is just the curse of sports games being yearly titles. It is simply impossible for companies to touch on every single aspect that they and fans want.

# 48 scottyp180 @ 08/28/15 06:32 PM
I gotta say that, at this point, I just need to see some gameplay. It's nice hearing that the gameplay has taken a step, or leap, forward but I need to see it in motion. Hopefully they have something impressive to show off next week. I want this to be the first year in a long time that I buy two NBA titles but I need to see the improvements first

# 49 mrprice33 @ 08/28/15 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo.jangles344
True, but the main thing is that with the advent of patches, the big wig companies don't have any excuse as to letting major bugs exist when there's ample ways to fix them. The other series treated patching the game as a way to adjust gameplay to cater to the twitter feed, more so than actually fixing exploits. If you guys really have a sim experience in a can, what's stopping you guys from allowing the shooters to run rampant? What assurances do we have that you guys will stand pat in the face of scrutiny?

You tell me i can play d, and that's not going to change 5 months into your games life cycle and you got a loyal customer.

I couldn't care less about the damn tip off, graphics, or lighting. I'm about defense and fair online play with REASONABLE latency.

And i can assure you there are droves of people who feel like i do.

Please don't patch this game into cheese mode. Seriously.
I'm sure the game will be tweaked as time goes on. Like I said, we played 4 different builds while I was there, and each one was slightly different from the one prior. Whether or not they tweak the games in ways we don't like, it's hard to say. Everbody has their own sense of how they want the game to play, so it's impossible to say whether or not any changes that happen will please you personally. I think the gameplay systems here are POTENTIALLY more resistant to cheese, but time will tell.

# 50 The 24th Letter @ 08/28/15 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo.jangles344
True, but the main thing is that with the advent of patches, the big wig companies don't have any excuse as to letting major bugs exist when there's ample ways to fix them. The other series treated patching the game as a way to adjust gameplay to cater to the twitter feed, more so than actually fixing exploits. If you guys really have a sim experience in a can, what's stopping you guys from allowing the shooters to run rampant? What assurances do we have that you guys will stand pat in the face of scrutiny?

You tell me i can play d, and that's not going to change 5 months into your games life cycle and you got a loyal customer.

I couldn't care less about the damn tip off, graphics, or lighting. I'm about defense and fair online play with REASONABLE latency.

And i can assure you there are droves of people who feel like i do.

Please don't patch this game into cheese mode. Seriously.

Think you're going to be in for a rude awakening treating Live like a savior instead of an alternative....it ain't all roses over here, lol

I just hope we get some more interaction this year regarding what needs to be addressed....and finally get rid of that late game AI mess...

# 51 FD247 @ 08/28/15 07:39 PM
I want to try out these new cameras with the demo when its released. I hope there is a good up and down camera that can be comfortable to use.

# 52 Calvenn @ 08/28/15 09:06 PM
Are these cameras adjustable? Anyone? Too early to ask?

# 53 Poke @ 08/28/15 11:32 PM
They claim to give full control but the tip off going to the PG is a "canned animation" what happened to physics? This game seems to be made with casual gamers as its main focus and not simulation style gamers. Each new reveal makes me less prone to buy it smh. I was all in about a month ago, can't say the same now. But I guess it's only year 3 of the "4 yr" plan

# 54 DonWuan @ 08/28/15 11:42 PM
wtf are yall talking about with the tip off.

Is it that serious?

Im sitting here thinking and I have never paid attention to a tip off. I dont even know if 2k lets the ball go anywhere besides the pg.

Lmao god im happy im not that picky. I just watched a few 2k videos to see the difference. I guess ive been pressing icon plus X for so long never noticed the ball goes to the PF majority of time.

# 55 mrprice33 @ 08/29/15 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke
They claim to give full control but the tip off going to the PG is a "canned animation" what happened to physics? This game seems to be made with casual gamers as its main focus and not simulation style gamers. Each new reveal makes me less prone to buy it smh. I was all in about a month ago, can't say the same now. But I guess it's only year 3 of the "4 yr" plan

Play the game first

# 56 CSIATKZ @ 08/29/15 12:58 AM
Live lost already again. Very badly. They just don't understand... No editing? A girl does rosters? No thanks.

# 57 youvalss @ 08/29/15 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonWuan
wtf are yall talking about with the tip off.

Is it that serious?

Im sitting here thinking and I have never paid attention to a tip off. I dont even know if 2k lets the ball go anywhere besides the pg.

Lmao god im happy im not that picky. I just watched a few 2k videos to see the difference. I guess ive been pressing icon plus X for so long never noticed the ball goes to the PF majority of time.
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, some games let you decide where to tip the ball to (by pushing the left stick in that direction).

But it's not even about that. It looks like a tip off from a 10-year old game. And also, tip offs that happen in the middle of the game can be critical. It would be nice to have more than a cut scene. Just because it's not the most important part of the game, doesn't mean that it needs to be from the PS2-era.

# 58 youvalss @ 08/29/15 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIATKZ
A girl does rosters? No thanks.
Hey now...let's not go there. It's the 21st century.

# 59 mrprice33 @ 08/29/15 01:33 AM
Quote:
Live lost already again. Very badly. They just don't understand... No editing? A girl does rosters? No thanks.

You do understand the Spurs' top assistant is a woman, right?

Anyway, this is 1000% speculation, but my guess is when the ball was "live" on tip offs it would go everywhere. It's not a cut-scene as the outcome is not predetermined. It's just that once the tip is won, it goes to the PG of the team that won it.

# 60 ProjectLeet @ 08/29/15 02:00 AM
Quote:
A girl does rosters? No thanks.
Wow...

During the whole process since she's been around, she's picked it up in stride. She's asking the right questions, approaching the right people, and really working hard to try to deliver her piece of the large pie we call NBA Live 16.

As the previous ratings and roster guy, she's doing a lot better than I and she will work hard (and i'm sure lurk these forums) to try to insure ratings and accessories are up to date. Plus she's a HUGE sport head, knows a ton.

Just to give you an idea, our ratings wasn't just her in a corner, we set meetings with anyone who loved to talk basketball, and she went out of her way to communicate with gameplay to make sure ratings, rosters, and tendencies will work WITH the game rather than work against it.

Don't live that kind of mindset, it's unhealthy for everyone involved.

I'll also be sure she to point her into this direction for accessory update help, as everyone here is pretty awesome at helping us try to stay as accurate as we can given the fact you can't do it yourself. Seriously, thanks so much everyone that helped last season, it was a life saver.

I'm sure we'll have quite the "party" trying to keep up with all the brand new season changes. But I guarantee she's up for the challenge and will work hard to try to deliver the best she can. It's a tough task and a (mostly) thankless job.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.