Home
FIFA 16 News Post

The FIFA 16 demo has been out for a bit, so there's no better time than now to assess where this year's game appears to be. Both Kevin Groves and Chase Becotte go in depth on this year's game based on their impressions of the demo after the jump.

Read More - FIFA 16 Demo Impressions

Game: FIFA 16Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 2 - View All
FIFA 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 BryanAllen42 @ 09/11/15 12:26 PM
My biggest impression with the demo is all the work that seems to have been poured into making the gameplay as solid as possible. It's still not perfect and is not quite the "sim" level that PES manages to achieve, but I honestly am not sure that is what FIFA is aiming to be and it is nonetheless a marked improvement over FIFA 15. Presentation upgraded a bit, but nothing I would consider a grand slam in that aspect.

My biggest gripe is they seem to have ignored graphical upgrades all-together. The fans and players all look them same as last year and in 14. It's time for FIFA to LOOk next gen, as well as feel it.

Also, minor gripe/wish, but I would give anything for FIFA to introduce Broadcast Packages. Basically, for each major league, introduce a Broadcast Package that includes unique commentary, boradcast overlays, and maybe even a few added stadiums/player faces.

It wouldn't even bother me if EA included EPL with the game and then charged for Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue One, La Liga, MLS, etc. I would easily pay 5-10 a piece for Ligue One and MLS packages and added stadiums. Maybe that's just me though, but Tyler and smith are beginning to be a bore for me.

# 2 SpritePuck @ 09/11/15 01:04 PM
To not be too repetitive as I have said this elsewhere this will be short.

Love the demo have over 100 matches in it and can not wait for the game. The women's side is right on and the best life like and fun representation of football a video game has ever had.

EA did us girls proud and just WOW thanks!

# 3 Sparkles @ 09/11/15 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanAllen42
My biggest impression with the demo is all the work that seems to have been poured into making the gameplay as solid as possible. It's still not perfect and is not quite the "sim" level that PES manages to achieve, but I honestly am not sure that is what FIFA is aiming to be and it is nonetheless a marked improvement over FIFA 15. Presentation upgraded a bit, but nothing I would consider a grand slam in that aspect.

My biggest gripe is they seem to have ignored graphical upgrades all-together. The fans and players all look them same as last year and in 14. It's time for FIFA to LOOk next gen, as well as feel it.

Also, minor gripe/wish, but I would give anything for FIFA to introduce Broadcast Packages. Basically, for each major league, introduce a Broadcast Package that includes unique commentary, boradcast overlays, and maybe even a few added stadiums/player faces.

It wouldn't even bother me if EA included EPL with the game and then charged for Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue One, La Liga, MLS, etc. I would easily pay 5-10 a piece for Ligue One and MLS packages and added stadiums. Maybe that's just me though, but Tyler and smith are beginning to be a bore for me.
I kinda disagree with your statement about the graphical aspect. All of the player models and headscans look sooooooo much better than last year. I think the perfect example of that is looking at Messi from both versions. Every time i played the demo i was fooled by how much he looked real. Lighting and layer tones are greatly improved. Wish i could say the same about the graphic packages

# 4 ChaseB @ 09/11/15 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkles
I kinda disagree with your statement about the graphical aspect. All of the player models and headscans look sooooooo much better than last year. I think the perfect example of that is looking at Messi from both versions. Every time i played the demo i was fooled by how much he looked real. Lighting and layer tones are greatly improved. Wish i could say the same about the graphic packages
Yeah I tend to agree more with this. The graphics and face scans have been improved up close for sure. It's that when you pull the camera out the game just looks kind of boring -- on some level there's not much you can do there because the camera needs to be pulled out.

NHL has sort of gotten over this hurdle by making the arenas seem more alive, and it seems like maybe that's what FIFA has to do. Just have lots of stuff going on in the crowd and make it feel more like you're playing in a very active arena as at least that makes things busier. A lot of these sports games (football, hockey, soccer) have to play from further away -- and in the case of hockey and football deal with equipment covering unique faces -- so next-gen can only happen in up-close shots a lot of the time, but there are still ways forward.

# 5 HenryClay1844 @ 09/11/15 01:49 PM
There is a lot of noise on the FIFA forums, and I have watched Twitch streams that seems to indicate this, that the final version is much faster and more arcade than the demo. This is terrible news for me and will keep me from getting FIFA this year if confirmed by the EA Access.

# 6 BryanAllen42 @ 09/11/15 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Yeah I tend to agree more with this. The graphics and face scans have been improved up close for sure. It's that when you pull the camera out the game just looks kind of boring -- on some level there's not much you can do there because the camera needs to be pulled out.

NHL has sort of gotten over this hurdle by making the arenas seem more alive, and it seems like maybe that's what FIFA has to do. Just have lots of stuff going on in the crowd and make it feel more like you're playing in a very active arena as at least that makes things busier. A lot of these sports games (football, hockey, soccer) have to play from further away -- and in the case of hockey and football deal with equipment covering unique faces -- so next-gen can only happen in up-close shots a lot of the time, but there are still ways forward.
I will agree it is more difficult and I think that's what I meant as far as graphically. The player faces are MUCH improved (though still severely lacking for some of the B listers. It seems EA goes for whole teams rather than cherry picking some well known but not household names) and the player models are..okay. But the crowd, the stadiums all look fairly outdated. If any crowd needs to be alive it is that of a Soccer game. I just look at Madden 16 and, even though this game has to be pulled back, it manages to have a graphical edge to it I was hoping to see FIFA have.

# 7 ChaseB @ 09/11/15 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanAllen42
I will agree it is more difficult and I think that's what I meant as far as graphically. The player faces are MUCH improved (though still severely lacking for some of the B listers. It seems EA goes for whole teams rather than cherry picking some well known but not household names) and the player models are..okay. But the crowd, the stadiums all look fairly outdated. If any crowd needs to be alive it is that of a Soccer game. I just look at Madden 16 and, even though this game has to be pulled back, it manages to have a graphical edge to it I was hoping to see FIFA have.
Yeah I agree for the most part. I don't think Madden is doing anything that interesting either though -- I just think their graphics overall are better (helmets, faces, jerseys etc. just look really nice even from afar). They have some cameramen and some stuff on the sidelines going on, but there's lots of unique stuff they could add in those areas. That being said, and NFL game is only going to be so interesting because it is sort of a sterile environment once you look beyond the sidelines -- at least on a visual level. Soccer has much more room to grow.

# 8 stevostl @ 09/11/15 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryClay1844
There is a lot of noise on the FIFA forums, and I have watched Twitch streams that seems to indicate this, that the final version is much faster and more arcade than the demo. This is terrible news for me and will keep me from getting FIFA this year if confirmed by the EA Access.
why would this keep you from buying the game? I notice people saying this about PES and FIFA retail code games... what's the big deal if you can drop the gamespeed and make it as slow as you were playing in the demo?

I expected this with FIFA. No way EA would released that default gamespeed in the demo as the default retail code. To many people would complain who play this online..

The only way I would be upset about this is if you wanted that as your default speed for online play in FIFA.. but if you only play these games offline this type of complaint is invalid as you can drop the game speed in both games easy and in FIFA especially you can pretty much edit everything in this regard.

# 9 DBMcGee3 @ 09/11/15 04:30 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but R1/RB calls for teammate pressure in tactical defending, no?

# 10 ChaseB @ 09/11/15 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
Correct me if I'm wrong, but R1/RB calls for teammate pressure in tactical defending, no?
It calls for the double, but they sort of just hover most of the time.

# 11 stevostl @ 09/11/15 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3

yes the default controls do with tactical defending but you can pretty much map that to what you want though. for example.. I'm using alt controls and map speed burst to R1.. pace control to R2 and Finesse shot to L2 and call for teammate pressure is also L2 for me. Using R1 to call a second player is bad for me and I can't play that way.

and if you turn legacy defending on you can easily map it to be just like PES to where u can call for second defender using square or circle as well except you can't use legacy defending online.

# 12 PPerfect_CJ @ 09/11/15 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevostl
yes the default controls do with tactical defending but you can pretty much map that to what you want though. for example.. I'm using alt controls and map speed burst to R1.. pace control to R2 and Finesse shot to L2 and call for teammate pressure is also L2 for me. Using R1 to call a second player is bad for me and I can't play that way.

and if you turn legacy defending on you can easily map it to be just like PES to where u can call for second defender using square or circle as well except you can't use legacy defending online.
On the subject of controls, the L1 (I think) was used to stop the ball and face the goal in 15, but doesn't seem to work the same in 16. Has the button been changed or has the EFFECT changed?

# 13 hedache @ 09/11/15 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPerfect_CJ
On the subject of controls, the L1 (I think) was used to stop the ball and face the goal in 15, but doesn't seem to work the same in 16. Has the button been changed or has the EFFECT changed?
That's something I noticed immediately. And I also noticed how much I've been using it in FIFA15 because I keep trying to do it. Obviously L1 is now off the ball controls. And I haven't really found any trigger combinations to step on the ball and make a quick turn yet.

In other news, I do agree that we may see the classic change in release version. This wouldn't be the first time to have an impressive demo and then a patch would alter the release version to make it more arcade. And yes, you can modify sliders to tune it but not for online games, which is something I like a lot.

But I really like the new physics, and I agree about the Womens game being fun. I think more than 90% of my games have been USA vs GER. And I have yet to win in regulation.

# 14 gabs485 @ 09/11/15 05:14 PM
The slow down actually hurts the game because now it's even harder for players to differentiate themselves.

Every player feels the same and every team plays the same. CPU rarely uses skills moves or uses creative ways to attack.

I can't seem to understand no touch dribbling and the fact that they mo capped Messi and he moves nothing like himself is embarrassing. In PES Neymar moves and shoots like he does in RL.

With that being said, I think the greatest addition to the game was improved defense. Interceptions are great, passing is rewarding as you can not longer just pass it forwArd

I've seen AI playing the ball back which is good but for some weird reason they refuse to pass it back to the keeper. In many instances I had the CBs surrounded but they either clear the ball away or lost possession rather than passing to the keep. It's not a big problem but it's annoying that you know they'll never pass it to the keeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 15 lnin0 @ 09/11/15 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevostl
why would this keep you from buying the game? I notice people saying this about PES and FIFA retail code games... what's the big deal if you can drop the gamespeed and make it as slow as you were playing in the demo?

I expected this with FIFA. No way EA would released that default gamespeed in the demo as the default retail code. To many people would complain who play this online..

The only way I would be upset about this is if you wanted that as your default speed for online play in FIFA.. but if you only play these games offline this type of complaint is invalid as you can drop the game speed in both games easy and in FIFA especially you can pretty much edit everything in this regard.
This isn't the first time EA has demo'ed the game at a speed slower than the retail. I hate the typical ping-pong, run and gun game that you get in FIFA with guys running sub 7 second 100m while dribbling. I WANT to play online and am not an AI/season player so it does prevent me from buying the game because I know what the online games will devolve into at this speed and with the typical passing accuracy. Is it wrong that someone should want to play a more realistically passed soccer game online where players actually have to develop plays instead of just sprinting up the sides?

How does your argument not work the other way. Let people play a more realistically paced game and if THEY don't like it let them crank up the speed to 80's coke-head levels.

# 16 stevostl @ 09/11/15 05:31 PM
well for you that would that suck... and I understand it as I want to play online as well like that but I'm use to EA and FIFA over the years online and I don't expect anything less.. it's the same with PES as their online is not even that good to begin with because the servers and game modes are not there... look I have no idea if the game is faster pace than the demo. I'm hoping not but least if it is we can at least adjust the settings for offline play but not online. any ways I agree with you as it still sux... hopefully they don't touch the gameplay to much from the demo.

I'm just saying I think we are in the minority though.. the majority of people who buy FIFA and play their games online seem to favor the faster pace.

# 17 SpritePuck @ 09/11/15 07:38 PM
You can chat or call EA. They claim to not be going to make the relaese pace faster or more arcade like. The rep I spoke to said they are aware some want it to be more fluid (arcade like) but the game will be released much like the demo with only some graphics enhancements.

Maybe the customer support people are wrong or do not know but they seemed to answer fast and fielded my question like they had recieved it. They apologised both on the phone and in chat if I was seeking it to be more fast paced like 15 but that was not in the plans. This tells me two things, one they have recieved a lot of people wanting it arcade like and two they are sticking with what they improved regardless.

My opnion is instead of bashing EA stating they will ruin the game, we all need to be putting it out there how much we like the new pace and player controls. They went more authentic and the arcade fans are complaining while the sim fans are acting like EA said they were going to make it more arcade.

Also, the game demo is getting huge love for the most part. In my opinion just like the two EA reps I spoke with said they are not going to mess with the gameplay that most are saying is improved. Of course anything could happen but I for one think the "EA is going to just speed it up for the release" is just hype and possibly a ploy to get people interested in PES.

I will get both PES and FIFA but do not see any reason to jump on the EA is going to speed up the play bandwagon. If they do they do, but they are saying they won't.

# 18 mfp @ 09/11/15 08:57 PM
Great impressions. I especially agree with pretty much everything Chase wrote. I'm enjoying the demo for the most part, especially the women's game for some reason (maybe it's all the extra space on the pitch? I dunno).

My biggest complaint with the demo gameplay is that the defensive system (tactical defending) sucks and it's WAY too difficult to apply pressure to the CPU on higher difficulty settings.

Beyond that, I really - really - am not a fan of the player models. I agree that more attention to graphics - color, lighting, kit detail especially - would be welcome next year.

Individuality is better than past FIFAs but I agree it's still a weakness for the franchise. Same with tactics.

Beyond gameplay, I just wish CM had some real depth to it.

# 19 PAPERNUT @ 09/12/15 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpritePuck

My opnion is instead of bashing EA stating they will ruin the game, we all need to be putting it out there how much we like the new pace and player controls. They went more authentic and the arcade fans are complaining while the sim fans are acting like EA said they were going to make it more arcade.
Agree 100%. First thing I did was tweet the main EA FIFA handle and all the devs I follow to let them know how much I appreciated the more sim route they took with the demo. I think they will respond much better to kindness than the constant bashing. Not saying to hold back any negative feedback if warranted, but let's wait till the retail version is released before we have this witch hunt.

# 20 TX117 @ 09/12/15 01:23 AM
The lackluster shooting is a deal breaker for me honestly. I can deal with everything else but the shooting needs to be different in the final game for me to get it.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.