Home
NHL 16 News Post

NHL 16 has officially launched for Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Get a few games in and post your impressions!

On another note, NHL Legacy Edition is available for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 gamers.

Game: NHL 16Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
NHL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 tjung0831 @ 09/15/15 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buganation7
I downloaded the rosters but I do not see Connor McDavid on the Oilers...Am I missing something here?

I'm new to new gen NHL so take it easy on me lol. TIA.
McDavid won't be on the NHL rosters until he plays an NHL game. You can however move him from his OHL junior team "Erie Otters" over to the Oilers. He's already an 83 or so, so he's pretty much good to go.

# 62 buganation7 @ 09/15/15 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjung0831
McDavid won't be on the NHL rosters until he plays an NHL game. You can however move him from his OHL junior team "Erie Otters" over to the Oilers. He's already an 83 or so, so he's pretty much good to go.
Really appreciate the quick response. Excited to play this game.

# 63 Steven547 @ 09/15/15 10:34 PM
Here are my thoughts on this game.

It's an improvement in some areas and the same old poor AI in others. That about sums up my feeling so far.

Gameplay wise, it's okay, but again I've experienced the "slow" skater out skating my speedster. Every time the CPU had a break away, there was no catching them.

The cross crease pass goal is back. In the past 3 games, I have seen this happen about 5-6 times. First two goals Tampa had against me were those type of shots. Watching a Chicago vs NYR (CPU vs CPU) game...first goal by the Rangers....pass across the crease. Maybe the goalies are extremely slow this year. But most goals come from the side of the goal with no problem.

Now, I'm a position lock player. So I figured playing that, I would see this "new AI". I felt like my players skills dropped. Was Chicago playing Edmonton. Edmonton scored 3 goals on me in the first period. Again, cross crease goals and one "typical EA" goal that I couldn't even believe went in. And somehow, their goalie (rated 86), played like a superstar.

Penalties? Just like years past, hardly any penalties. In 3 games, one penalty.

Now, of course I'm hoping (and praying!) the sliders fix all the issues I'm experiencing. Is this an improvement over NHL 15? Sort of. It's basically NHL 14.5 with enhanced graphics.

But, I'm going to stay positive and hope things get better.

# 64 headzapp @ 09/15/15 10:50 PM
I loved this hit. I also like how you can turn the player icon off. After playing all these years you already know what player will be controlled when you switch players. It's so much better without that red bubble over your players head!

# 65 ericromain @ 09/15/15 11:11 PM
I'm enjoying online versus. I'm finding myself breaking up passes with sticks/bodies in the passing lane much better than last year. Turning auto back skate off is giving me the control i want in front to break up passes too

Defense just feels better, good pursuit angles, playing the body, and applying pressure, even when not going for the hit, is creating turnovers. The game is actually keeping me honest where I've been burned going for "sure hits" from last year only have them spin off.
Going for big hits will leave you in the dust, but they're extra rewarding when you connect.

Passing is heading in the right direction. Goals feel fine.

I love having action tracker back so i can actually see game highlights post game.

The one thing that really made me sad is that Online Versus still has auto goalies for penalty shots (and i assume shootouts?). Manual goalies make it a lot easier to score and put more liability on the people who trip opponents on breakaways.

# 66 BlueNGold @ 09/15/15 11:39 PM
When you're in instant replay, can you turn off the icons to take pictures?

# 67 bad_philanthropy @ 09/15/15 11:51 PM
Here are some updated impressions/observations from a mix of All-Star and Superstar Hardcore with a mix of sliders testing different things.

-Game speed slider bug needs fixing or default game speed needs lowering. The default pace is frenetic and goofy. It does not resemble hockey. Too many players skating forward have too much lateral acceleration/movement precision.

-CPU passing is all quite silly (will post some videos later). The passing sliders don't seem to affect the cpu ability one bit.

-From my observations the cpu is able to pass the puck from positions/postures and checking scenarios they should not be able to. If you look carefully you will often see the puck move according to the body and stick position upon reception and then a 90 degree change of direction by the puck so it may be rifled over to a teammate. Similarly, the cpu may make all sorts of amazing behind the back/backhanded passes from the corner to the point without accuracy or reduced pass power on the backhand appearing to play any factor

-Part of a function of the wacky cpu, physics and angle defying passing is that the cpu is able to counter-attack extremely quickly, but also from way deep in their d-zone.

Resulting from what I just described, the defensemen simply doesn't have to gather the puck and try to make a good pass while being checked or with traffic clogging lanes in the d-zone. There is no such thing as a hard or impossible pass for the cpu. As soon as he gets the puck he can zip a pass behind his back or on a perfect diagonal to a streaking forward. Defending with body position is pointless (unlike last gen).

Not only does this make the AI behavior have no differentiation between say Drew Doughty and Luke Schenn getting the puck out of their zone, but it simply isn't how getting the puck out of the d-zone works at all. All of the cpu's passes are in straight lines or diagonals, and since the puck is able to be passed off their stick at impossible angles with immense power, they are able to pass in clean lines (only to be foiled by the occasional interception). If they couldn't get the puck off their stick in all scenarios they would have to use the boards in some instances and have to work the walls for a few phases to get the puck out at times.

-There are some other bizarre features of the cpu passing and skating in general that don't make sense. There is far too little fluidness in the skating engine, and too often you have players turned around at the wrong time. I feel like NHL 15 on 360 was better in this department. Almost feels like it was in NHL 12 before the new skating engine.

Additionally to that point, when I am set up in the defensive zone my forwards will often (almost always) be completely turned towards the goalie watching/tracking the puck in the corner. My players needs to be able to head track, but also position himself at 90 degrees when covering the point man and not 180 towards his own goalie.

-Player differentiation is a big problem. I have video that I will post later of Shawn Thornton backing up NHL defensemen with his dangles, and rifling amazing no look passes from the corner to the point.

-I like the way the cpu plays defense.

# 68 bad_philanthropy @ 09/15/15 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
When you're in instant replay, can you turn off the icons to take pictures?
Yeah, press triangle or XB1 equivalent twice and it gets rid of the replay control HUD and the second press gets rid of player indicator and the yellow circle.

# 69 GravesFan9 @ 09/16/15 12:10 AM
Anyone can answer some Be a Gm questions?

- I didn't play 15...is the trade/free agency/player movement logic any better than the garbage it was in years past?

- Is the name generator for the draft any better, or will there still be Russian guys named Russell Collins or some nonsense like that?

- Are the new contracts given out realistic at all? In previous games, the salaries were absurdly low most of the time.

Thanks

# 70 sweetjones @ 09/16/15 12:37 AM
Anyone else notice your lines are being selected automatically even if line changes are on "manual"?

# 71 Vmascarello @ 09/16/15 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravesFan9
Anyone can answer some Be a Gm questions?

- I didn't play 15...is the trade/free agency/player movement logic any better than the garbage it was in years past?

- Is the name generator for the draft any better, or will there still be Russian guys named Russell Collins or some nonsense like that?

- Are the new contracts given out realistic at all? In previous games, the salaries were absurdly low most of the time.

Thanks
Well, I just simmed 4 seasons, just to see how it all looks as a whole between progression, name generations, impact of players coming out of draft, stats looking realistic, etc..

It honestly all looks pretty solid as a whole. The stats are very realistic for any given NHL season. Player progression seems to be realistic as it is mostly relative to potential and productiok, but more so potential. The names have lookes really good compared to past years. I have only seen a handful that annoyed me. But, most of them are very realistic to where the player is from.

One thing Ive noticed is the impact of the initial drafts prospects is much greater than the next few drafts. I guess its to be expected given those are real players. But, I have seen a fair share of Elite and Top 6 forwards and Top 4 D's. Dont think I seen any Franchise potential players but those are few and far. Id like to see one trickle out here and there.

The trade logic is the best its been. If you put trading on "Hard" its tough to pry high end players away and future draft picks are no longer as valuable. You feel like you have to offer good assets if you want to get a Top 6 forward or Top 4 D.

Contracts are all 100% perfect in the game. And, the offseasoms have stayed consistent with the market. Some guys seem to go a little cheaper than you'd think. But, iverall its pretty damn good.

Overall, I think the sim aspext to GM mode is superior to any release in quite awhile. And for that reason Im gonna play the hell out of this mode.

Trust me I have my issues with it. Not a fan of the interface, no in game season goal totals when you score (you have to go to box score to see how many goals the guy has), no sxores from around the league, etc. I could go on and on with things Id expect should be in a next gen GM mode. Overall its good enough to have a blast, but Ill be looking for more next year.

Now its time to start a franchise that I will play with the Bruins, looking forward to playoff time in the Garden.

# 72 Steven547 @ 09/16/15 01:17 AM
Anyone else notice the CPU scores with under 5 seconds left in the last period, quite often?? This is getting extremely frustrating. 7 games played, 6 games where the CPU wins it with 5 or less seconds to play.

And it's always the same type of shot...cross crease pass, or side of the net.

I really hope the sliders are what is needed to fix this game. The goals being scored are unreal and plentiful. Another game where the score is 8+ total goals.

# 73 gopher_guy @ 09/16/15 01:31 AM
I'm playing a GM mode right now that I will probably trash and start over once the opening day roster update comes out, but I'm really liking GM mode.

Morale might get repetitive, but I like that they added something to provide a little more depth to the mode.

And I like the intros to the games, they acknowledge the players who are playing well, and where they are among NHL leaders. I was playing a game against the Kings, and they talked about what a great start to the season Kopitar is having, then a graphic came up showing his 5 goals, and indicating that he was leading the league.

# 74 Splitter77 @ 09/16/15 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by headzapp
I loved this hit. I also like how you can turn the player icon off. After playing all these years you already know what player will be controlled when you switch players. It's so much better without that red bubble over your players head!

nice.
is there an option to play with the crowd netting on during gameplay?? or is it only shown in replays

# 75 BL8001 @ 09/16/15 09:06 AM
These are the tuner notes from 2 days ago. The mystery gameplay update...

SEPT 14 - TUNER

- Fixed issues with puck control when stick handling around the net for both User and AI players.

Since that tuner I see less cpu cheese with the no look, facing the wrong way, tape to tape passes for one time goals.

I played 4 games online vs a friend last night and we played it kind of like serie A hockey, light defense, no pressure, back out after losing possession, etc.

So we each took quite a few clean shots on goal in each game and we scored zero goals. I scored a cross crease one timer and showed him a cpu move of going in and out to the center and he scored off a one timer too.

In our four games it was easy to surmise that goalies are superhuman in online versus. We went to the action tracker post game and discussed the shots. We are holding the aim correctly and the puck tracks on net appropriately, it's just the goalies grab and block everything.

Once again, if you and a friend play online why can't we use sliders, select goalie ability level or agree to play 3-3 the whole game?

And let me put a vote in right now for a patch that adds 3-3 full games. 3-3 is really fun.

We both know this because we went all the way to 3-3 OT and then shootouts for each of the 4 games.

# 76 FlyingFinn @ 09/16/15 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjung0831
This is what i've been seeing pretty much every game...every game has been in that 60 shot range. 5 min periods on All Star. Really happy with this game right now.
30 shots a piece in 5 minute periods is troubling for me and those who enjoy to play longer games.

# 77 Money99 @ 09/16/15 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
-Player differentiation is a big problem. I have video that I will post later of Shawn Thornton backing up NHL defensemen with his dangles, and rifling amazing no look passes from the corner to the point.
This is, and has remained, my largest gripe about the series to date.

There are a lot of things I like about the NHL series, but this is one that always leads me to tossing my controller and never turning the game on again.

BL8001, you mentioned the game playing differently without CPU boosts since a day one update.
Do you notice this with the new build?

# 78 csamuelsvt @ 09/16/15 09:18 AM
Curious to see if anyone has been able to score on the goalies going in on a break-a-way WITHOUT deeking.

Meaning, simply pressing up on the shooting stick.

I asked Ben Ross about it while they had one of those developer streams and he said you can do that this year, but he pulled ALL the way back and scored that way. Just wondering if anyone has been able to score without deeking like I've described because I still have not been able to do it.

Also, the game speed bug/choppiness/slow down fix MUST be fixed. Anything below the default speed results in a completely laggy experience.

# 79 Money99 @ 09/16/15 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by csamuelsvt
Curious to see if anyone has been able to score on the goalies going in on a break-a-way WITHOUT deeking.

Meaning, simply pressing up on the shooting stick.

I asked Ben Ross about it while they had one of those developer streams and he said you can do that this year, but he pulled ALL the way back and scored that way. Just wondering if anyone has been able to score without deeking like I've described because I still have not been able to do it.

Also, the game speed bug/choppiness/slow down fix MUST be fixed. Anything below the default speed results in a completely laggy experience.
I'm trying to find it, but I believe someone posted a video here which showed a goal being scored on a breakaway (might have been PS) where all they did was rifle it.
Sorry for lack of evidence and my ever disintegrating memory (trying to find the vid/post now).

# 80 ChiTownKid @ 09/16/15 09:24 AM
Offline play is hampered by the stuttering issue at lower-than-default game speed, and online play has just enough input lag to make it aggravating.

EA should have a chat with Psyonix about netcode. Rocket League has virtually zero input lag, and is arguably more graphics-intensive. That alone makes it more fun to play.

Meh. I'll give it week. If EA has nothing to offer in terms of a patch for the stuttering, I'm trading it in.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.