Home
NHL 16 News Post

NHL 16 has officially launched for Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Get a few games in and post your impressions!

On another note, NHL Legacy Edition is available for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 gamers.

Game: NHL 16Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
NHL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 csamuelsvt @ 09/16/15 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I'm trying to find it, but I believe someone posted a video here which showed a goal being scored on a breakaway (might have been PS) where all they did was rifle it.
Sorry for lack of evidence and my ever disintegrating memory (trying to find the vid/post now).
Let me know when you find it, please! Thanks!

Im looking to see how to score and if it indeed IS possible to score on these goalies without deeking when its 1-1 with the goalie and without pulling all the way back on the sticks. Essentially can you score with a snap shot/quick shot.

# 82 csamuelsvt @ 09/16/15 09:36 AM
What does everyone think of the commentary this year? I think when you're pinned or you pin the other team in the zone, hearing Doc's excitement is fantastic. They need to build on this and incorporate it into the whole game if possible because it sounds authentic

Love as well when you score and he says the players' names at the end. So far I've only heard Patrick Kane, Stamkos, Alex Piterangelo(sp?) and Ovechkin.

Has anyone heard any NEW goal calls? They said they are in there, but I've only heard the same o'l ones from last year, including his trademark "SCORE!" when you score with less than a minute to go in the 3rd.

EA said they worked on new goal calls with Doc this year and its tied in with superstar players, so curious to see if anyone has heard any new ones(regular season or playoffs) and if so can post them.

# 83 mathteacherct @ 09/16/15 09:50 AM
I'm only a casual fan of the game. I never picked up 15 because I heard how bad it was. Had fun with 14 on the old system! This year, I have enjoyed the game right out of the box. The default settings give me enough challenge. i usually play Be a Superstar, but have toyed with GM mode.
I have only seen a couple things I'd like fixed. Very little board work. High shots on goal, and scores being just a tad too high.
Other than that I love it. I like the fact that I can't just nail people anymore, I get called for interference or roughing. I like the passing indicator, always had trouble with passing in the past.
As my skill increases I'm sure I'll be using someones sliders to make the game more fun. But I have to say, I'm enjoying it so far!

# 84 BL8001 @ 09/16/15 10:27 AM
Quote:
BL8001, you mentioned the game playing differently without CPU boosts since a day one update.
Do you notice this with the new build?

Since that Sept 14 update I have not seen one single deadly no look cpu pass when they are facing the wrong way.

On the flipside, it has lowered the CPU shot totals.

Although to be honest I think it is a combination of me employing collapse defense too.

Now that the CPU isn't cheesing me with those impossible pass to one timer goals I feel like I can move out of the collapse D without paying the price of leaving the crease exposed and my defensive players being on the wrong side of the CPU player (which of course artificially allows easy cpu shooting situations).

I played as the Stars vs Calgary. The stars have stagger D. CPU shot totals went up since I was not clogging the slot as much. But again, no cheese goals.

One thing I have noticed 100% is there is a home and away bias, and I dig it. In my opinion it's much harder to win on the road, even in play now.

# 85 2kguy @ 09/16/15 10:32 AM
This may have already been mentioned elsewhere, but the swaying jerseys are way to wiggly, like they are made out of jello, at least in the cut scenes.

Overall I find the game play pretty solid, but I'm pretty bored with the series. Going to trade it back soon.

# 86 CarryTheWeight @ 09/16/15 10:38 AM
Solo offline player here. I'm absolutely awful at this game against the AI. This coming from someone who's played every version of the game dating back to NHL Hockey on Genesis.

I know the mechanics very well so I've only played a few games with the Visual Trainer on. Learning the basics is not the issue, though I'm honestly thinking of lowering the difficulty down one notch to Rookie, embarrassing as it may sound.

The AI teammates give you minimal assistance and the goaltending is a sieve on slow, routine shots from the boards or faceoff circles. The AI opponent absolutely loves to throw a one-timer from the corner to a wide-open man in the slot when my AI teammates are off gliding into space. And I don't know if it's just me or what, but the quick tape-to-tape AI passing is the worst it's been in years. Even the legendary Soviet teams didn't cycle that quickly.

I find it's all too often the user's sole responsibility to act as the defense of a five-man unit. It may work as a solo player in EASHL or OTP but the awful teammate AI tendencies often leave the player you've selected hanging out to dry.

Hopefully the problems I've addressed in this post can be addressed with slider or difficulty adjustments. Of course, I'm sure many will reply to these issues with "git gud casual" as the gaming community is known to do, but I'd honestly prefer fun over frustration.

Loving the game otherwise. The arena atmosphere is enormously impressive.

# 87 BL8001 @ 09/16/15 10:48 AM
Carry, I would say 100% drop down to rookie.

It helped me tremendously for faceoffs. I now can usually win more than the cpu.

But it does help with all aspects of the game. You get a little more time on the puck without being checked or poked or harassed and you can see how the play develops in the O end.

On D you can see what the CPU is doing without it being as lethal.

You can straight up play a play now on rookie or mix it up and go over to NHL Moments and try some on rookie. Either way you can lab the game pretty nicely this way.

Practice mode is awesome but if you go 5-5 you will get your A$$ handed to you. I wish the CPU D didn't get a point in that mode for goalie coverups. If I keep the puck in your zone that should be a wash, not a point for good D.

# 88 centauris @ 09/16/15 11:07 AM
Really enjoyed my first night of EASHL and a couple single player games..

only nit pick is that i wish the goal horns were much louder.

# 89 gopher_guy @ 09/16/15 11:13 AM
I'd say my biggest complaint right now is that your CPU teammates don't seem to help very much in the offensive zone. I've been trying to set up a cycle a few times, but the forwards more or less post up, rather than coming towards you to cycle.

# 90 muelly @ 09/16/15 12:05 PM
I got 15, I’m not really a hockey fan. I may watch it on TV from time to time, I’ll follow the playoffs but that’s about it. I started a offline franchise last year and was have a lot of fun. Does 16 have enough in it for a casual player like myself to invest $60 or would I be better served continuing on 15? My kids are starting to get into playing hockey so I’ve gained more interest, last year considered making NHL a bi-yearly buy but have heard 15 was pretty pathetic. I however hadn’t played a NHL game since 99, and was quite happy with 15 tbh.

# 91 nddurst @ 09/16/15 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kguy
This may have already been mentioned elsewhere, but the swaying jerseys are way to wiggly, like they are made out of jello, at least in the cut scenes.

Overall I find the game play pretty solid, but I'm pretty bored with the series. Going to trade it back soon.
From the videos I've seen for NHL 16, the wavy jerseys seemed toned down quite a bit but maybe that's just me.

# 92 Stormyhog @ 09/16/15 12:22 PM
Really hate the pin point passing by the cpu way to accurate. Overall I'm enjoying the game just seeing some stuff that irritates me.

# 93 bad_philanthropy @ 09/16/15 12:24 PM
A couple videos, and I'll preface this by saying I like a lot of the mechanics and what EA has done with the game.

Take a look at passes one and three in this sequence and the way the puck changes directions off the stick.

Since the AI is able to make so many impossible passes it negates the need for the AI to provide support in the d and offensive zone.

Here is Shawn Thornton looking dominant one on one and successfully doing a little dangle. This should probably never happen. Player differentiation needs to be better.

Shawn Thornton again showing off some amazing hands gathering a rebound, getting it to his forehand before rifling a perfect pass.

Second part of the vid, how does the Panthers player get so much power and accuracy on the pass from that position.

# 94 Vmascarello @ 09/16/15 12:26 PM
I like the game and Ill play it alot. But, I just took a look at tge feature set for NBA 2k16 MyGM and it looks absolutely amazing. EA has no shot in hell of ever coming close to 2k in terms of single player offline experience.

If anyone has a chance and pull up the new features and overhaul of MyGM for NBA 2k16, and youll see what I mean. If I was a multi-millionaire, I would fund 2k to make a hockey game. Because, until they do, I dont think GM mode enthusiasts will be satisfied.

In the meantime, EA has at least put together a game that is worth playing and fun. Even if it seems way behind in terms of things you'd like to see as a GM mode player.

# 95 BL8001 @ 09/16/15 12:34 PM
Yep bad_p,

All EA games suffer from this need for the puck or ball to always go to someone. It's never enough for it just to be loose.

It seems to be getting a little better each game they put out but that spectre remains...

Secondly, when a player, particularly the CPU is interacting with the ball or puck there is always this rush of animations transitioning them from loss of control to perfection.

That vid of the perfect pass across the goal mere seconds after the puck bounces off his chest is so indicative of this.

If after he hit it he played a so so pass or even just choose to bring it back out and reset, either would be acceptable. Instead the games favor the outlandish and improbable, particularly in regards to CPU behavior.

# 96 MizzouRah @ 09/16/15 01:02 PM
For the player separation issue.. anyone mess with the attribute effect slider? I though that slider allowed you to tweak how the attributes effect the players?

# 97 Money99 @ 09/16/15 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
For the player separation issue.. anyone mess with the attribute effect slider? I though that slider allowed you to tweak how the attributes effect the players?
It's supposed to, but I know in the past, it's never been very effective.

Those vids bad_p posted are pretty bad and it's what many of us have been pointing out for years now.

To be honest, if it was an elite player getting off those pin-point passes so quickly I'd have no problem with it. It would help separate the top playmakers from scrubs even more.

Those quick animations and decision making should be tied to offensive awareness and playmaking abilities.
For someone of Shawn Thornton's ilk, his animations should be noticeably slower, and his decisions should be shallow as well.
I would imagine a player with limited offensive abilities such as himself probably would have shot instead of passed.
But more realistically, it would have taken him oodles more time to knock the puck down, get it settled and then look up to make a play. By that time, he would have had the puck knocked away, or been body checked.
Instead, we see him make a play Wayne Gretzky would have envied.

# 98 bad_philanthropy @ 09/16/15 01:17 PM
Quote:
It's supposed to, but I know in the past, it's never been very effective.

Those vids bad_p posted are pretty bad and it's what many of us have been pointing out for years now.

To be honest, if it was an elite player getting off those pin-point passes so quickly I'd have no problem with it. It would help separate the top playmakers from scrubs even more.

Those quick animations and decision making should be tied to offensive awareness and playmaking abilities.
For someone of Shawn Thornton's ilk, his animations should be noticeably slower, and his decisions should be shallow as well.
I would imagine a player with limited offensive abilities such as himself probably would have shot instead of passed.
But more realistically, it would have taken him oodles more time to knock the puck down, get it settled and then look up to make a play. By that time, he would have had the puck knocked away, or been body checked.
Instead, we see him make a play Wayne Gretzky would have envied.
Exactly what I was getting at with the vids. I also don't think if we nerf Shawn Thornton's abilities the cpu offense will die. Have Thornton bat at the puck there (in the video). Maybe he bangs a greasy one home. Or, maybe he knows he isn't going to be able to corral the puck there and make a play so he gets it in his feet and gets his body between the defenseman and goalie. Once he establishes a stable platform he can get the puck down low to someone else or something.

There's just no decision-making from the AI any more elaborate than pass or shoot in too many situations where another option is the applicable hockey play.

# 99 bad_philanthropy @ 09/16/15 01:44 PM
Here's another great example of why the gameplay ends up way too ping-pongish/ back and forth. Passes like this from Niskanen are a huge part of the cpu AI's arsenal moving the puck, and this sort of thing is a huge tool for the AI to get out of it's zone and quickly transition to a counter-attack.

I just don't believe this element of AI game design represents "fun" if I can have a possession or an o-zone turn into a counter-attack in a second by a pass like this from behind the net.

# 100 brandon27 @ 09/16/15 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Here's another great example of why the gameplay ends up way too ping-pongish/ back and forth. Passes like this from Niskanen are a huge part of the cpu AI's arsenal moving the puck, and this sort of thing is a huge tool for the AI to get out of it's zone and quickly transition to a counter-attack.

I just don't believe this element of AI game design represents "fun" if I can have a possession or an o-zone turn into a counter-attack in a second by a pass like this from behind the net.

That's painful to see.

Sadly it happens all too often, as you mentioned though. It's unfortunate, because as I've said before, it's the stuff like this that really ruins the game experience, especially when stuff like it leads right to a goal for the CPU. It doesn't end up in a fun hockey battle, it ends up with you feeling like you got scored on, or lost because you were cheated by something that shouldn't be possible.

The more I play, the more this really becomes my only legit gripe. Lack of penalties still bothers me, but this stuff really takes the cake.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.