Home
NHL 16 News Post

NHL 16 has officially launched for Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Get a few games in and post your impressions!

On another note, NHL Legacy Edition is available for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 gamers.

Game: NHL 16Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
NHL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 bad_philanthropy @ 09/16/15 02:45 PM
Since we can't alter game speed without the frame rate glitching out, I lowered acceleration progressively in one on one practice. I timed laps with the puck with Morgan Rielly (since the camera won't track you without the puck), and with accel at 0 the lap times were about 20-18 seconds. Conisdering this is with the puck I think it's probably pretty accurate.

I jumped into a game with the acceleration set to 0 for human and cpu and I really liked what I saw. The pace seemed more to my tastes, and the cpu AI seemed less frantic. Everything felt less twitchy and slide-y. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd like to get some other guys' feedback on playing with acceleration tuned all the way down.

Seems like I'm down on the game, but I'm not. I think it's prudent to highlight this AI stuff because I think it's the game's biggest shortcoming.

Here's a praiseworthy clip from a game with acceleration tuned down (which I think may allow some of the dev's animation work shine brighter). Look at the quality of the seamless puck pickup animation by Boychuk here. Really nice stuff by EA.

# 102 tjung0831 @ 09/16/15 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Since we can't alter game speed without the frame rate glitching out, I lowered acceleration progressively in one on one practice. I timed laps with the puck with Morgan Rielly (since the camera won't track you without the puck), and with accel at 0 the lap times were about 20-18 seconds. Conisdering this is with the puck I think it's probably pretty accurate.

I jumped into a game with the acceleration set to 0 for human and cpu and I really liked what I saw. The pace seemed more to my tastes, and the cpu AI seemed less frantic. Everything felt less twitchy and slide-y. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd like to get some other guys' feedback on playing with acceleration tuned all the way down.

Seems like I'm down on the game, but I'm not. I think it's prudent to highlight this AI stuff because I think it's the game's biggest shortcoming.

Here's a praiseworthy clip from a game with acceleration tuned down (which I think may allow some of the dev's animation work shine brighter). Look at the quality of the seamless puck pickup animation by Boychuk here. Really nice stuff by EA.

I've seen that with acceleration at the default level since that's what I play at.

# 103 Steven547 @ 09/16/15 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27
That's painful to see.

Sadly it happens all too often, as you mentioned though. It's unfortunate, because as I've said before, it's the stuff like this that really ruins the game experience, especially when stuff like it leads right to a goal for the CPU. It doesn't end up in a fun hockey battle, it ends up with you feeling like you got scored on, or lost because you were cheated by something that shouldn't be possible.

The more I play, the more this really becomes my only legit gripe. Lack of penalties still bothers me, but this stuff really takes the cake.
Exactly this. As I mentioned earlier, the pinpoint cross crease passing leads to goals for the CPU about 95% of the time from my experience. It also leads to some extremely frustrating last minute (and I mean under 10 secs in the game) heroics by the CPU to win. My experiences have seen numerous lasr second game winning goals by the CPU.

Play defense you say? I have. The puck miraculously going through my stick to rest on the CPUs stick for a goal is horrible. I'm only about 20 games into this and I'm starting to regret the digital puchase. Really makes me appreciate the 2 text based sim hockey games out there more!

I'll keep trying to work with this with hopes EA is listening to all our comments, and provides help in form of a patch, etc.

But hey, at least we got mascots this year.

# 104 gopher_guy @ 09/16/15 04:12 PM
Nice work b_p. I will try tonight with acceleration lowered all the way.

I am really liking what I'm seeing so far when it comes to shot totals and penalties.

I started a BAP as an offensive defenseman, playing in the CHL. It's BAP so 20 minute periods, simming between shifts.

4 penalties a side, and good shot totals. Played another game after this one and penalties were 3/2

# 105 Ruffy @ 09/16/15 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
A couple videos, and I'll preface this by saying I like a lot of the mechanics and what EA has done with the game.

Take a look at passes one and three in this sequence and the way the puck changes directions off the stick.

Since the AI is able to make so many impossible passes it negates the need for the AI to provide support in the d and offensive zone.

Here is Shawn Thornton looking dominant one on one and successfully doing a little dangle. This should probably never happen. Player differentiation needs to be better.

Shawn Thornton again showing off some amazing hands gathering a rebound, getting it to his forehand before rifling a perfect pass.

Second part of the vid, how does the Panthers player get so much power and accuracy on the pass from that position.

Some decent points but any game....especially NHL will drive you insane if you slow mo replay every action.

Breaking down the gameplay frame by frame is difficult for any video game but especially sports games....at some point the AI makes the puck warp to the stick etc. People who play the show cry of the suction into the gloves on grounders etc.

I can't imagine the type of programming code it would take or type of physics engine refinement for the pucks and sticks to react exactly like they should. If they could I would agree some of your points are quite valid.

The Thornton "dangle" is not much of a dangle...the toe drag just created him a little space. I have been playing with a bronze team in HUT vs the CPU and the harder dekes that I attempt in that mode are not pulled off by everyone.

I plan to try this out more at the NHL player level to see if it is the same.

What i am enjoying is the player separation...even in the opening game I felt a huge difference when Stamkos had the puck opposed to Killorn or Filpulla. Bigger players felt slower but sturdier....agile players felt speedy and nifty to me.

So far this is the best NHL to date.....sure it has some issues.....which for some will be game breakers....but this is a damn fun iteration of the game.

I'm 40 and have played and officiated hockey since I was 7. Played every version of hockey from Coleco Vision, Atari, Activision, NES, Genesis, PS1, PS2, PS3 and now PS4. Sports games and gaming in general has come a million miles in my lifetime.

I wouldn't give it a 9 or 10 out of 10 but its a hard 8 at worst.

# 106 onlybygrace @ 09/16/15 05:23 PM
Everyone should remember when discussing this that penalties were at a near record low last season, which is one contributing factor to the low numbers among the top scoring leaders.

# 107 dansaint @ 09/16/15 06:22 PM
not the biggest fan. Don't get me wrong...it's better than last years but I guess I'm just not a fan of video game hockey.

Doesn't really play realistically enough for me.

Played about 8 games and it seems I can't get it to play even.

When i play too high a level (All Star or Star) I get blown out...even when I adjust sliders

When i play Rookie or Pro (with adjusted sliders) I blow teams out (but games are like 8-4 almost every time)...so that's where I have issues with the realism.

# 108 Vmascarello @ 09/16/15 06:27 PM
If you enjoy the game, dont give up for that reason. Id try to go All Star with someones sliders that knows what theyre doing and then go from there. Maybe you just gotta get a little better on All Star. pro and Rookie are always too easy on any game if you play it somewhat regularly.

# 109 dansaint @ 09/16/15 06:34 PM
I've played it on the highest level (and also done this on All Star) and lowered the CPU to have ZERO advantage (basically accuracy, power, goalie speed, passing etc to their lowest level) and I'm still getting beat 6-0. 6-1 every game.

I'm using hybrid controls (because NHL '94 too easy and stick skill too complicated).

I do like the authenticity of the arenas and the atmosphere though but the gameplay to me still seems it's not even.

# 110 Vmascarello @ 09/16/15 06:41 PM
Thats been an annoyance in the past, as far as finding the right balance. But, I feel I already found it. Playing on All Star with AlTitos sliders with a twist of my own experience has been fun and challenging. Ive got beat 4-0 and won 4-0. Im currently 11-6-3 with the Bruins, and all the games have been competitive.

Is anyone else happy with the challenge factor? Obviously, theres still so,e weird AI stuff, but Im just talking about finding it competitve and on what level.

# 111 BL8001 @ 09/16/15 07:29 PM
Decided I would do a season or gm with a rebuilding team so I picked arizona.

Tossed Domi's kid on from london and Duclair from quebec and went into LA.

Scored first on a scrappy goal, LA answered with a nice goal where I was hedging against the cross ice pass favored by the cpu and Gaborik said thanks and lit it up short side

Then a scoreless 2nd period. LA fans were on edge. Domi was seeing more time with the second shift and I gave the cpu a taste of it's own medicine. Brought the puck up the boards but veered in, then back out to the boards, it made the defender hesitate and his check attempt gave me a speed boost when he knocked into me pushing me forward, quick pass across and Domi taps it in.

Then 2 minutes later I win a deep left faceoff, out to the RD and quick passed right back to Domi at LW and cracked a snapper top shelf near post.

3-1. Lucic for LA gets a beautiful feed from Kopitar and five holes me from the slot. 3-2. A few minutes later I break into the zone with vermette and one touch deke the defender and 5 hole them right back.

LA starts pressing, down 4-2 and I take advantage of a miss played pass from defender to defender and flick a pass to a streaking Duclair who cuts across goal with the 2 sticks deke and roofs one to put the nail in the coffin and silence the LA crowd.

Good times. Having quite a lot of fun with this game.

# 112 BL8001 @ 09/16/15 07:34 PM
Domi on the coyotes

# 113 brandon27 @ 09/16/15 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmascarello
If you enjoy the game, dont give up for that reason. Id try to go All Star with someones sliders that knows what theyre doing and then go from there. Maybe you just gotta get a little better on All Star. pro and Rookie are always too easy on any game if you play it somewhat regularly.
I've jumped from all star, to pro, thinking it would reduce the CPU cheese a bit since it's supposed to be an "easier" difficulty setting, but the same issues persist at about the same rate IMO.

# 114 Vmascarello @ 09/16/15 07:49 PM
Obviously, if youre experiencing that, who am I to tell you ots not happening or not true.

But, I just dont see it. There are cheesy goals in the real NHL as well, dont forget. Sometimes you lose a few in a row, thats part of a fair challenge. But, I honestly believe anyone with decent hand eye coordination could play it on All Star and eventually compete with the CPU. Especially with a strong slider set, amd sometimes that takes a whole season to really get close to perfect. I also noticed team strategy settings are very important when considering how you play the game and what you tend to do, dump and chase, carry the puck, cycle, etc.

I usually sim alot of games escpecially early in the season, but Im finding myself playing much more because of the in game presentation and fun Im having battling the CPU, even if Max Talbot tosses a cheesy no look pass here or there.

That stuff will never completely go away until 2k decides to get back in to the hockey business. EA just has alot of anomolies in there gameplay, always have.

# 115 Steven547 @ 09/16/15 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmascarello
Obviously, if youre experiencing that, who am I to tell you ots not happening or not true.

But, I just dont see it. There are cheesy goals in the real NHL as well, dont forget. Sometimes you lose a few in a row, thats part of a fair challenge. But, I honestly believe anyone with decent hand eye coordination could play it on All Star and eventually compete with the CPU. Especially with a strong slider set, amd sometimes that takes a whole season to really get close to perfect. I also noticed team strategy settings are very important when considering how you play the game and what you tend to do, dump and chase, carry the puck, cycle, etc.

I usually sim alot of games escpecially early in the season, but Im finding myself playing much more because of the in game presentation and fun Im having battling the CPU, even if Max Talbot tosses a cheesy no look pass here or there.

That stuff will never completely go away until 2k decides to get back in to the hockey business. EA just has alot of anomolies in there gameplay, always have.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm seeing a ton of "only a few seconds" left goals. And they aren't good goals either, they are "what the heck did I just see" goals. It's frustrating, because I saw that in about 95% of the first games I played.

I also noticed the CPU has no problem scoring from the side or cross crease. It seem to be a repeat of NHL 14 and 15 again. I put the game on PRO, and haven't seen any less of it.

The same issues from previous years are glaring again. It's frustrating. I will keep at it, but my patience is running thin. Hopefully, I can find a set of balanced sliders.

# 116 Vmascarello @ 09/16/15 08:14 PM
Just curious, make sure the "CPU difficulty adjustment" slider is turned to O. Otherwise, any time the CPU is down they will become heroes.

# 117 CarryTheWeight @ 09/16/15 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BL8001
Carry, I would say 100% drop down to rookie.

It helped me tremendously for faceoffs. I now can usually win more than the cpu.

But it does help with all aspects of the game. You get a little more time on the puck without being checked or poked or harassed and you can see how the play develops in the O end.

On D you can see what the CPU is doing without it being as lethal.

You can straight up play a play now on rookie or mix it up and go over to NHL Moments and try some on rookie. Either way you can lab the game pretty nicely this way.
Thanks for the awesome reply, helpful stuff like this is one of the reasons I continue to come to this site after 14 years (!!!).

I'm probably going to lower the difficulty seeing as though I'm not getting many positive results. I only wish the AI behaved more organically/imperfectly on the default sliders. I'm going to play around with the right mix or download a set from OS.

If my post seemed like a massive rant, it's only because I really want to have fun with this game. Perhaps swallowing my pride and lowering the difficulty is the way to do it.

# 118 sweetjones @ 09/16/15 08:35 PM
I thought we were suppose to be able to save team strategies. Why am I still having to change them before every game in Play Now mode? smh

# 119 gopher_guy @ 09/16/15 09:36 PM
I really wish they could get official uniforms for the National Teams.

I really like playing with USA/Canada/Finland/Czech Republic/Russia/etc, but the generic sweaters they have are all so ugly

# 120 actionhank @ 09/16/15 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
I really wish they could get official uniforms for the National Teams.

I really like playing with USA/Canada/Finland/Czech Republic/Russia/etc, but the generic sweaters they have are all so ugly
I'm hoping someday we can import our own custom jerseys. Takes the pressure off of EA. They make a jersey editor and template that can be used on PC, or they could even make something similar to Forza's car editor.

Then, they give us the means to apply it in-game. It would be awesome HUT teams, EASHL, and even offline players, as they could release "Jersey Packs" to keep up with the latest changes. I have to agree, the default jersey are awful looking for international teams. I believe they've been the same since NHL 07.

Just imagine being able to create/edit teams and jerseys, and finally giving someone like Slovenia their authentic goalies, and replacing teams like Japan, or Great Britain, who didn't even compete on the same stage in the Winter Olympics.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.