Home
NHL 16 News Post

NHL 16 has officially launched for Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Get a few games in and post your impressions!

On another note, NHL Legacy Edition is available for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 gamers.

Game: NHL 16Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
NHL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 gopher_guy @ 09/17/15 03:30 PM
Yeah, stick on stick contact would be nice, just to curb things like in that video.

I'm sure they're worried about it becoming a sloppy game for casual players. But maybe realistic stick on stick (or stick on body, etc) contact could be something for hardcore mode.

# 142 bad_philanthropy @ 09/17/15 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
Yeah, stick on stick contact would be nice, just to curb things like in that video.

I'm sure they're worried about it becoming a sloppy game for casual players. But maybe realistic stick on stick (or stick on body, etc) contact could be something for hardcore mode.
Yeah, the thing is, since they made skating realistic, and therefore much more difficult to get into a body position to poke check, or obstruct a player, or knock them off the puck, I absolutely need to be able to use my stick to manage space in defending. I can't just have no tools. If skating is going to be more realistic as a defender, stick contact has to be as well.

If I play it right positionally, and if the AI doesn't make a risky pass or deke past me, I should be able to force the cpu to get the puck in deep or take it behind the net.

# 143 The Amaizen Blue @ 09/17/15 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
Is anyone else playing BAP? It may be my imagination, but I feel like there's an issue with icing. I've iced the puck a couple times, and have still been allowed to change.
Yeah, same thing has happened here.

# 144 CeilingPlayer @ 09/17/15 04:19 PM
Any idea where I can find real team strategies? I saw thread there when NHL 15 released but I can't find it anymore.

# 145 schlitz73 @ 09/17/15 04:43 PM
From what I've gathered in this thread the couple main concerns I've had about the game, and the series in general, still seem to be present. Could anyone elaborate on these points for me?

CPU fairness:

In some past NHL games it seemed like the CPU would suddenly decide it had to score a goal or that I was not allowed to win a game. It didn't matter what I did or how much better my team was than the CPU, I would just lose and lose big. And I am not talking about losing 4-3 or because I was playing on Superstar either... I usually play Pro level and sometimes one higher. The worst offender was me playing a random exhibition game which turned out to be against one of the worst teams in the game only to lose 7-0 on 15 shots by the CPU. That may be a little extreme but do these types of games still occur in NHL 16 where you are helpless to stop the computer?

Teammate AI:

Namely on defense... in past NHL games it always seemed like defenders had little to no clue how to actually play defense. Constantly getting out of position, running into each other, being oblivious to loose pucks right next to them. It would drive me nuts trying to do everything myself in BaP or any other mode because my teammates were so passive and clumsy on D. It sounds like this may still be an issue as well, but just how bad is it?

# 146 Stormyhog @ 09/17/15 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Here's an example of what makes defending difficult. I like the skating, I like how you have to be smart, but often you are not rewarded for good body position and the cpu is able to generate a scoring chance in the middle of the ice.

I really hate how the sticks of players go through players. I'll be defending proper only for the player to go right around me mainly because his stick goes through my legs. It's almost like your invisible in situations.

# 147 phillyfan23 @ 09/17/15 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeilingPlayer
Any idea where I can find real team strategies? I saw thread there when NHL 15 released but I can't find it anymore.
I can send you an excel file with 30 team strategies that I compiled for nhl 15 which I will use for NHL 16. give me your email and I'll send it right over.

I did my research watching games, reading team strategy websites, reading team forums. I still need some input for Carolina, Dallas and Buffalo...but the rest I've crosschecked 2 sources to come up with the team tactics.

NOTE: philly will play a faster pace this year with more defensive help for offense and pinching.

# 148 gopher_guy @ 09/17/15 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan23
I can send you an excel file with 30 team strategies that I compiled for nhl 15 which I will use for NHL 16. give me your email and I'll send it right over.

I did my research watching games, reading team strategy websites, reading team forums. I still need some input for Carolina, Dallas and Buffalo...but the rest I've crosschecked 2 sources to come up with the team tactics.

NOTE: philly will play a faster pace this year with more defensive help for offense and pinching.
You can't set these team strategies up for Be A GM, correct?

# 149 sfpxgalaxy @ 09/18/15 02:58 AM
Player differentiation is still a problem. You would think that they would focus on that with HUT being their main mode.

This pisses me off. All players feel the same and can do the same.

I don't notice the fastest skaters nor the slowest ones.

# 150 18 eighty 5 @ 09/18/15 07:33 AM
I am playing the EA early access version. Only playing offline games. They have utterly nerfed defense and have clearly focused on a high offensive game. It just feels weak. The skating too has really taken a step back to the old nhl 06 or 2k6 style. Through the stick and watching the animations I don't get any sense or feeling of skating. It feels more like the players are rolling around on wheels. Very disappointing. What is with the whole back skate into spin o rama?

The game is just not very good. I keep trying to let it prove itself but it just isn't a good game. Give us proper defense where our ai team mate's get involved. The series is out of ideas clearly.

# 151 jake19ny @ 09/18/15 09:13 AM
I don't know if this was mentioned since release but season goals are not shown in Season Mode or BeaGM. It will always say 1 after scoring no matter how many goals they have on the season. Lame....way to revert to SEGA genesis EA. On a positive note it appears they fixed the issue of shoot out loses or wins not showing up for goalies and after simming 2 months the goalie stats are the most realistic to date

# 152 brandon27 @ 09/18/15 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlitz73
From what I've gathered in this thread the couple main concerns I've had about the game, and the series in general, still seem to be present. Could anyone elaborate on these points for me?

CPU fairness:

In some past NHL games it seemed like the CPU would suddenly decide it had to score a goal or that I was not allowed to win a game. It didn't matter what I did or how much better my team was than the CPU, I would just lose and lose big. And I am not talking about losing 4-3 or because I was playing on Superstar either... I usually play Pro level and sometimes one higher. The worst offender was me playing a random exhibition game which turned out to be against one of the worst teams in the game only to lose 7-0 on 15 shots by the CPU. That may be a little extreme but do these types of games still occur in NHL 16 where you are helpless to stop the computer?

This is still an issue. Not as prominent as in the past since goalies have gotten better, but it's definitely still an issue, I've noticed it quite a bit.

Quote:
Teammate AI:

Namely on defense... in past NHL games it always seemed like defenders had little to no clue how to actually play defense. Constantly getting out of position, running into each other, being oblivious to loose pucks right next to them. It would drive me nuts trying to do everything myself in BaP or any other mode because my teammates were so passive and clumsy on D. It sounds like this may still be an issue as well, but just how bad is it?

Again, still an issue. Especially playing H2H against the CPU offline. You're AI controlled teammates, especially those in front of your own net just kind of stand around instead of trying to tie up offensive players out front. When the pass comes to that offensive player he just rips off a quick one timer usually while your D-man just stands still.

It's a bit better than in NHL 15, but both issues still exist, and are still as frustrating as ever IMO.

# 153 Capfan11 @ 09/18/15 10:17 AM
Just my humble 50 year old opinion but I believe this is the best video hockey game to date. Thoroughly enjoying it and I haven't even gone into The online modes yet. First game was with the Sens vs Buds and Cpt K netted a pair in a tight win. Got thoroughly trounced with the Buds vs Sabres 7-2. Caps took out Philthy, isles and Pens in tight affairs. OV got my first hat trick.

Have not touched any sliders and just playing on Pro. Awesome right out of the box.

Play on 60" with 7.1 audio. Those having issues with goal horn being too low turn down the commentary to half and then up the volume so you can hear them. Sounds pretty damn good. Tried Columbus hoping for a rocking cannon but it gets drowned out by horn and music.

IMO sports game of the year material.

# 154 BL8001 @ 09/18/15 10:47 AM
Default sliders on pro

I played this matchup a few times last night and could not beat the Jets with the Devils.

There seems to be some home and away logic even in play now. I like that.

Went on the powerplay early and could not break them down but back at full strength the story changes.

# 155 BL8001 @ 09/18/15 10:54 AM
Frustrations boil over. After this 3-3ot and then I lost in the shootout. Closest I got to beating the Jets on the road.

# 156 Qb @ 09/18/15 11:04 AM
Had a chance to play my first offline game, play now Pens/Stars in Dallas. I tinkered with the sliders before and a little during the game, mostly trying to slow down the pace of play. I didn't touch gamespeed, but dropped acceleration and pass speeds; these make for a noticeable improvement. I also moved a few other things a click or two, like raising aggression & fatigue.

It was enjoyable game overall and I'll likely continue to mess around with offline. I lost in the shootout and is it just me or is the CPU goalie pokechecking way too quick & powerful? IRL it's a very high risk move and can leave the goalie hung out to dry, but it's so quick and contained I don't get that sense at all 1v1.

I also played a few EASHL games on release night and things were way too scrambly and with too much float & glide in the skating. Players aren't punished nearly enough for taking risks or chasing because it's too easy to recover your position. Also, the skating feels a lot more fluid & deliberate with less acceleration offline, although some of the online feel could be lag related I guess.

# 157 jake19ny @ 09/18/15 11:46 AM
Totally nit picking here because there are things way more important, but why is this game always a year behind with goalie equipment? Even a few pads from last year are not there. I know they cant have everything ready by release but patch it in....I think they patched one set of pads in last year. I'm one of those anal guys who does his rosters up to par and also like to edit the goalie gear to the real counterparts I have found a site that posts the new goalie gear sightings but just 10 goalies in and I cannot do 5 of them and 4 of the 5 done are not 100% because we cant allocate the colors properly. Again I know its low on the list of priorities but I also know I'm not the only anal roster guy here.....

UPDATE: Make that 7 out 12 cannot have the actual pads they use.
at this rate about 60% or more goalies will be wearing the wrong pads and the same crappy masks for 5 years.....

# 158 T5063 @ 09/18/15 11:51 AM
Best hockey game that I can remember. Sure, it has its share of problems in all areas but nothing 'game breaking' in my opinion. Mind you, I'm a "hardcore casual" fan/player, I don't pay attention to some of the details that a lot of people on this site seem to do so I probably miss a lot.

I play on allstar hardcore 5 min periods. Tried 7 mins at first but the games took too long. Took my a while to get my first goal but I'm slowly getting used to it. I feel like I have to play smart, make smart passes and look for chances on bouncing pucks and rebounds. Gone is the stuff from previous gen where I pretty much had a few go-to maneuvers for goal scoring.

My last game I beat the bruins 2-1 in a very even game. They had 35 shots vs my 27 with pretty even TOA.

I'm just waiting for regular season rosters to drop (hopefully with Eichel and Hanafin in them) to start my GM mode.

Also hoping some minor missing stuff gets patched in along the way.

# 159 bad_philanthropy @ 09/18/15 12:02 PM
Tuning up the poke check slider has definitely made the game better imo. Made it a lot less back and forth, and actually feels like there is less of the stick clipping and not just applying an overpowered mechanic.

# 160 bad_philanthropy @ 09/18/15 12:30 PM
Video of an example of how great the physics can be in this game. Attempted shoot in hits the curved part of the glass at the end of the bench. Love detail like this.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.