Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

In case you were living under a rock, too busy at work, lost your internet for the day due to a freak accident, or simply if you made the conscious decision not to visit us here at OS (*tear*) -- you missed a lot of NBA 2K16 news yesterday.

To make it easy for you to catch up, this post will guide you along on what was announced yesterday...

MyCAREER Mode

We learned quite a bit on what this year's mode is bringing to the table. You can find a couple of excellent articles from an exclusive hands-on event here:
After you are primed, be sure to check out the full MyCAREER trailer available on OS here.

Gameplay Videos

And then there were the gameplay videos. We have about 30 minutes worth of gameplay for you to watch and break down. Check them all out at the links below:

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 ataman5 @ 09/15/15 10:23 AM
Nice wrap-up much appreciate it!

Thank you..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 2 Mauer4MVP @ 09/15/15 10:24 AM
Definitely need a thread like this.

# 3 cthurt @ 09/15/15 10:26 AM
The last two videos are NBA Live not sure if you meant to put those in with the 2k info.

# 4 RaychelSnr @ 09/15/15 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthurt
The last two videos are NBA Live not sure if you meant to put those in with the 2k info.
Yeah that was my bad. Quickly removed them.

# 5 The 24th Letter @ 09/15/15 10:35 AM
Loved the majority of what I saw yesterday....it's going to be a long 10 days

# 6 WishListGOD 1 OF 2 @ 09/15/15 10:42 AM
Good thread, yesterday was a little shell shocking.

# 7 sterfry1994 @ 09/15/15 10:51 AM
Hopefully we get a bigger MyCareer info drop. I still have so many questions

# 8 YoungOg1 @ 09/15/15 11:20 AM
So I know this mite not be the case but is this all the info were getting regreding mycareer? The news so far was crazy good more then what I thought or expected. Just wanna know now if there going to be detailed info on mycareer stuff being this is the week for mycareer. More news please & thank you 👍.

# 9 LorenzoDC @ 09/15/15 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter

I agree. I was too busy yesterday to comment in the several threads, but here are my overall takeaways and reactions:

• The game looks smoother as a basketball simulation game, with more animations to smooth out the edges as players move, as promised
  • You can see the implementation of foot planting as we have been told, but I think the real difference will come when we get the game in hand and can feel the level of control and responsiveness
  • I read through all the critiques of each video and while many (not all) have merit, and most were intended constructively, the game overall looks like a genuine improvement over last year in several areas.
  • Following up on that, I never expected zero sliding or perfect foot planting, maybe ever, but certainly in one year of real foot planting implementation. The test for me is if sliding amounts to warping that so breaks the physics that it looks absurd and changes gameplay based on what the dice rolls under the hood dictate. I don't see that.
  • It still would be nice to see bowling pin defenders who drop in the paint go away. Certainly other failed contest animations should be able to replace that. Also, I expect there may be adjustments to shot tendencies in the post so that doesn't worry me a ton.
  • The team based basketball movement promised on offense and defense looks legit. I'm really excited to play the game and excited for OG and Czar for having accomplished all they did this cycle. Bravo, boys. That said, we've barely seen it because we have not seen games long enough to show adjustments and the way games flow dynamically. I expect it to be even more impressive once we do.
  • Overall, the devs made some strong claims to us about gameplay prior to release and everything I see in the videos supports their claims and feels consistent with what we have heard from community day.
  • I'm looking forward to seeing the improvements in franchise modes and hope that trade logic, draft classes and many of the other little things that go into improving those modes will be well implemented as well.
This is the time of year when I either decide to buy on relsease, buy after a few weks of community reaction, or pass. This year, 2k got my preorder because I like their track record of working to make genuine improvements from community input. I wanted to reward that in my own small way. (Incidentally, this is also why I have avoided another sports game for two years in a row now).

Not only have I seen nothing to cause me to doubt that decision, I'm maybe even more enthusiastic to get my hands on the game - not because I think it will be perfect in every way, but because I feel like I now have a more complete picture of the game as it really is, not just based on pre-release marketing and communication. Seeing some imperfections, and seeing that they look minor to me, makes me feel even more confident, if that makes sense.

# 10 3mir @ 09/15/15 12:33 PM

# 11 The 24th Letter @ 09/15/15 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoDC
IThe test for me is if sliding amounts to warping that so breaks the physics that it looks absurd and changes gameplay based on what the dice rolls under the hood dictate. I don't see that..

Agree with you here....

Cosmetic sliding us going to happen and doesn't bother me as much as others....(of course efforts to clean it up are welcome) I'm more concerned about its direct effect on the game..

# 12 jayman504 @ 09/15/15 12:47 PM
I have my fingers crossed that some sort of Presentation Blog is put out for us to read all the little "tidbits" they've added to the game this year! (i.e starting line-ups for both teams and 3D floor shows)

# 13 Mike2001 @ 09/15/15 12:49 PM
Quote:
yes ikr each day i get more hyped about 2k. haven't been this excited for a game in awhile

# 14 raiderphantom @ 09/15/15 01:24 PM
I need a recap of ALL the 2K news. Theres so much this year I forget most of it!!

# 15 raiderphantom @ 09/15/15 01:28 PM
Quote:
Agree with you here....

Cosmetic sliding us going to happen and doesn't bother me as much as others....(of course efforts to clean it up are welcome) I'm more concerned about its direct effect on the game..

I feel as a simulation gamer you have to have a bit of an imagination. Cosmetics are all secondary in my book. I remember creating players in 2K8 and they looked like aliens lol

# 16 m1ke_nyc @ 09/15/15 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungOg1
So I know this mite not be the case but is this all the info were getting regreding mycareer? The news so far was crazy good more then what I thought or expected. Just wanna know now if there going to be detailed info on mycareer stuff being this is the week for mycareer. More news please & thank you 👍.
Ronnie said on twitter there is another unannounced feature in response to someone asking a mycareer question.

# 17 23 @ 09/15/15 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratedmoney
Ronnie said on twitter there is another unannounced feature in response to someone asking a mycareer question.
Tell Ronnie we'll be playing Live until he decides to say something

# 18 jkuelo @ 09/15/15 02:41 PM
I'm so hyped for this game!!!

# 19 Sundown @ 09/15/15 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderphantom
I feel as a simulation gamer you have to have a bit of an imagination. Cosmetics are all secondary in my book. I remember creating players in 2K8 and they looked like aliens lol

I feel as a simulation player I actually have less tolerance for visual issues that take me out of the experience. Visual issues often (actually almost always) indicate abstractions and simplifications that depart from how things actually move and work in real life. I will make concessions because of the limits of the technology, but when visual issues actually cause a simulation resemble casual games with animation breaks and poor physics models, it reveals the mechanics and aspects of the game that aren't actually being simulated with authenticity. The more something looks wrong, the more likely it also works wrong.

Cosmetics cannot never be secondary or an afterthought in an authentic simulation that is simulating the dynamics of a physical activity. And look, feel, and general experience is as much a part of a simulation as is the result on the scoreboard.

How much we excuse as simulation players and fill things in with our imaginations says more about how some simulations are actually lacking despite what we want them to be, than what should really be the baseline for acceptable simulations.

# 20 The 24th Letter @ 09/15/15 04:16 PM
I struggle with calling myself a "sim player" because of the attitude a certain a part of the community has taken that I want nothing to do with....but everyone here who has played me knows how I roll...

(BTW Pared when are we going to finish our 7 game series?)

It's up to the player to be honest. I play basketball 3 times a week in 2 leagues... I just know there are things that you can't 100% replicate in a video game...but I'm also 100% with the developers constantly innovating and doing their best to try.

Being realistic isn't the same as being complacent...

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.