Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

LD2K and Ronnie 2K revealed the NBA 2K16 MyPLAYER height restrictions per position, during their Twitch Livestream. If you missed it, you can watch the archive here.

Check out the height restrictions below.
  • Point Gaurd: 5'7"- 6'7"
  • Shooting Guard: 5'10" - 6'8"
  • Small Forward: 6'3" - 6'10"
  • Power Forward: 6'5" - 7'0"
  • Center: 6'8' - 7'3"
They also mentioned a few other details, we wanted to list:
  • Dependent on your style and height (both small and tall), attributes will fluctuate.
  • 6'7 PG's will be one of the slower points guards in the game
  • 3 scoring styles (inside, outside & balanced) that determine your caps, alongside height.
  • No more 7 foot small forwards that shoot like Ray Allen and dribble like Kyrie Irving.
  • Bigs will play like bigs
Plenty of other smaller details were revealed as well, so make sure you watch the archive here.

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 HowDareI @ 09/16/15 12:56 PM
I really only have one question:
What are the defensive caps set at? Defense is always my priority, so even if it's 2 inches shorter, a 6'10 sf might still be years ahead of a max height sg.
(Unless of course speed/quickness takes a hit because of size/position)...

People just saw height and instantly thought that was the cheese. No. Being 7', mixed with 95 speed, mixed with 90 dribbling, mixed with 99 dunking, etc....that was what was unbalanced. Being a 7'3 center but having 85 speed and access to all the dribble moves in the game and still an 85 shot? That was the cheese.

I like the scoring styles being different, I just hope this means other things are effected too. But at the same time I don't lol. If I'm an outside shooting 2, I could still be athletic like JR Smith. I hope picking that style won't make me a lot slower and less athletic.

# 122 jrich730 @ 09/16/15 01:02 PM
People didn't make 7ft point guards until the game was broken and the demigod wasn't addressed

Weren't these the same caps as last year?

# 123 NDAlum @ 09/16/15 01:07 PM
I really like the idea of having people choose a role. The key is balance. I might actually try this out if the players are balanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 124 Saviour @ 09/16/15 01:10 PM
Finally!!! Why 2K did not implemented this sooner has always been a mystery too me. Especially considering that FIFA has had this logic in place for years. Now I can only hope there are real penalties for the player size. All of this sounds good but its pointless if we have 6'10 SF playing PG without any issues with ball control. A 6'2 PG should be able to beat this guy off the dribble if there isnt help all game long.

# 125 Rain723 @ 09/16/15 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2k
If people didn't try to exploit and create demigods, maybe it would be less strict.

This year, you will be punished for stupid play.
This year, we have attribute caps that vary on your position, scoring style & height.
This year, we're looking for people to create their roles and excel at them where it makes sense.
This year, the cheesers going to cry.

And this year, the competition has never been higher.
This! Ppl complaining about the caps only have themselves and other cheesers to blame. Something had to be done to limit the 7 foot demigod and I'm all for these caps. Been asking for them for years. Good work, 2k. Now just don't give in to the crybabies later on down the road.

# 126 Rain723 @ 09/16/15 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop3422
They have mentioned the AI being more cognizant of mismatches and changing matchups for specific players. The example used was Jimmy Butler instead of Dunleavy on Lebron. I'm hoping this isn't something done in a bubble and if the AI sees a matchup problem in MyCareer they will change accordingly.

I say this as someone who would like to play as a taller PG (not 6'9"). The problem with just making that player a SF in last years game is that the computer in myplayer won't utilize you the way you want to be utilized. The AI makes terrible substitutions, calls bad plays, and don't expose mismatches. If you aren't the point guard, you aren't able to call plays and initiate the offense.

I agree that putting artificial caps on height based on position is a band aid, but it is better than nothing. The problem is that even if they actually balance how your height affects your athleticism and other relevant stats, there will always be the users who just want to take max height and be a wing or PG because they think that is the coolest thing ever. When they realize that their player is incapable of being an effective player at that position because they are too slow and unathletic they will complain about it and want their hard earned VC back.

Idiots will always be idiots, exploiters will always try to exploit, and 2k will never be able to make everyone happy. The best they can do is make the kind of game they think most people will enjoy, and try to educate them not be entitled jerks who understand the game of basketball and simple physics.
I agree with you. It's just impossible to separate those who truly just want to make a unique player from those who are just trying to cheese. So the end result is this. And I'm all for it.

# 127 iLLosophy @ 09/16/15 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich730
People didn't make 7ft point guards until the game was broken and the demigod wasn't addressed

I think they shaved an inch or two off some of the positions.

# 128 Rain723 @ 09/16/15 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich730

It wasn't just the 7'2 PG that was a cheese. Even before that, the 7 foot SF was very cheesy. It was still a guy the size of a center running around shooting corner 3's like steph with kyrie's handles and MVP year D. Rose's speed.

# 129 Rain723 @ 09/16/15 01:25 PM
I'm definitely glad that 2K added caps. I just want to see the caps when creating my player so that I can choose my play style accordingly. If I make a SG a certain height and play style I want to see exactly what is taking a cap hit and why. Like if I choose a balanced scoring style, I expect that my 3 pointer probably won't reach the 90's. But will I still be able to be pretty athletic and a decent enough playmaker? Or will I just be kind of mediocre at everything?

# 130 Kurupt_XxX @ 09/16/15 01:32 PM
Quote:
If people didn't try to exploit and create demigods, maybe it would be less strict.

This year, we have attribute caps that vary on your position, scoring style & height.
This year, we're looking for people to create their roles and excel at them where it makes sense.

I appreciate you (DJ Khaled voice)

I've seen you in the rec and i know you play the game. And it's awesome to have you part of the community to relay to the dev team. You the real MVP LD. This game is going to be out of this world. Don't mind the cheesers, this is what we all wanted. #Balance.

# 131 Chemthethriller @ 09/16/15 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinsanityLives
Trapping zones are as cheesy as it gets in 2k.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Trapping zones in the rec are cheese? Lol it gets beat by good passing, we do it because the majority of teams we faced had 1 or 2 people who took 90% of the shots. On top of this it was impossible to play legit man to man against anyone who cheesed.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

# 132 Drop3422 @ 09/16/15 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain723
I'm definitely glad that 2K added caps. I just want to see the caps when creating my player so that I can choose my play style accordingly. If I make a SG a certain height and play style I want to see exactly what is taking a cap hit and why. Like if I choose a balanced scoring style, I expect that my 3 pointer probably won't reach the 90's. But will I still be able to be pretty athletic and a decent enough playmaker? Or will I just be kind of mediocre at everything?
That's the most important thing when you institute caps, limits, or restrictions. Seeing the reason and being able to accept the inherent strengths and weaknesses of your decisions so you feel like you are making an informed decision that you won't later regret 30 gameplay hours later.

# 133 iLLosophy @ 09/16/15 02:16 PM
Is there a way to quickly identify other players only by their role/strengths?

# 134 Chemthethriller @ 09/16/15 02:20 PM
Well playing tight in 15 didn't work, sometimes you would have 2 guys up top setting screens as one guy dribbled around, doubling kind of worked but if you leave someone always open it hurt you. The 1-3-1 trap would allow us to act like a double team at half court and really push the ball handler into a bad decision, it also helped against the people who only shot mid range shots that dropped at about 95% because we had our 4 at the ft line following the ball from a distance. The off ball wing defender was playing the passing lane and the 5 was rim protecting / rebounding... it worked well not because the game let it work well, but constantly we would create turnovers because the ball handler would force a pass without realizing someone was in his passing lane. It didn't follow the same logic you witnessed in quick matches with traps.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

# 135 2_headedmonster @ 09/16/15 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverKick
I promise you if you follow what I'm saying, it will make sense in a Simulation basketball way.

Let's say rebounding was broken and smaller players could grab rebounds just good as taller players. If Chris Paul went up for a rebound against Andre Drummond, it was a 50/50 chance on who got the ball. Everyone agrees this is a problem. Then someone says - hey let's fix it by making all players the same height.

Does that make any sense at all? Because that's how silly this height restriction is. The height isn't the problem...

Could it be possible that you could have no height restrictions ...and...the game is still not cheesy? Yes it is possible.

If a 6 foot player is playing against a 7 foot player in real life, what are some things you expect to see?
-6 foot player can run past 7 ft player easily
-6 foot player can steal the ball easier when 7 foot player faces up
-6 foot player breaks 7 ft players ankles easily
-7 foot player gets easier post ups on 6fter
-7 foot player grabs most of the rebounds over 6fter
-7 foot player makes contested shots way more difficult for 6fter

Would you agree this is what happens in real life? Then this is what should happen in the game. This is balance. Creating an artificial limit to height alone doesn't restore this balance.
i totally agree. Basketball problems need basketball solutions.

Thats why i have suggested position/height/weight specific, randomized caps. This would allow for the rare unique players, individuality and balance without HARD restrictions.

7ft pgs should be an option, but be limited to realistic consequences:

For example a 7ft PG who weights 190 could have a max speed of 80, max strength of 60, max quickness 75, max lateral quickness of 75.

Then you could possibly earn cap extensions that could allow a higher ceiling on one stat but lower another. Maybe max strength goes to 70 while max quickness lowers to 70. Max 3 could go from 70 to 75, but max close range goes from 75 to 70.

you get the jest...

No matter the position you pick, you should be subject to the same physical ratings limits based on height, and weight.

# 136 209vaughn @ 09/16/15 04:13 PM
I would like the 3v3 street ball mode if the scoring was 2's and 3's and not 1s and 2s. Right now there is no balance,there is ZERO inventive to ever not take a long range shot.

# 137 HowDareI @ 09/16/15 04:23 PM
Hopefully we get some screens or gameplay of what the caps are like...

I wanna make sure my 1st guy I create will be the best he can and not waste any free VC I get lol

Stuck between a 2 and a 3 gonna make a shooter regardless but wanna see what the defensive caps are at...

# 138 mrmaupie @ 09/16/15 04:27 PM
Yeah i like the caps but it could lead to having to create multiple guys and watching the first bit of career footage multiple times just to find out the caps that go with each player type

That scares me. But i need to know the caps before investing heavy gametime in mycareer

# 139 sactown_13 @ 09/16/15 04:52 PM
Quote:

This year, we are gonna fix the servers.

# 140 sactown_13 @ 09/16/15 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
i totally agree. Basketball problems need basketball solutions.

Thats why i have suggested position specific, randomized caps. This would allow for the rare unique players, individuality and balance without HARD restrictions.

7ft players should have lower lateral quickness, agility, range shooting and strength. No matter the position you pick, you should be subject to the same ratings limit.
Strength? You serious man? Shaquille, Ewing, Alonzo, gasol, cousins. These boys seem weak to you? While the 7 ft guards should be taken out let's not bury the big man here.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.