Home
Power Pros 2016 News Post

Baseball fans, don't be sour. Look above, and feel the power! It's a new day on PlayStation 4, yes it is! For the first time in the platform's short history, Konami is bringing one of their two Nippon Professional Baseball games to PS4. Power Pros 2016 is targeting a Spring 2016 release in Japan on the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita, and that's all we really know about the game right now, based on an official press release that contains one teaser screenshot.

A new version of Pro Yakyuu Spirits is also being made for iOS and Android, and that product is far enough along in development that Konami has posted a pretty detailed trailer to their Japanese YouTube channel:

Pro Yakyuu Spirits Ace should be available on phones and tablets sometime in 2015, according to the above video. Konami's also uploaded lots of in-game screenshots and a few paragraphs describing Ace's game modes on its Japanese webpage.

Game: Power Pros 2016Hype Score: Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 0 - View All
Member Comments
# 141 BengalTiger @ 04/22/16 04:01 PM
I can't wait for this game. It looks great on the PS4. I have 2012 and 2013 and still play them.

# 142 PSNation @ 04/27/16 10:07 AM
My PS4 copy shipped from Play Asia today!

The amount of Japanese text honestly scares me. There seems to be a lot of really cool stuff in the game, but I'll probably never get to mess with it because of the language barrier

# 143 Twigg4075 @ 04/27/16 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSNation

The amount of Japanese text honestly scares me. There seems to be a lot of really cool stuff in the game, but I'll probably never get to mess with it because of the language barrier
Glenn?????

# 144 jyoung @ 04/27/16 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSNation

Yeah you won't be able to get much out of MyLife and Success mode unless you can read Japanese since they are so story driven.

Pennant mode is definitely the way the go for non-Japanese speakers. The rosters are easy to manage due to all of the icons in the menus.

Looks like Amazon Japan is going to deliver the game on Monday next week.

# 145 RNunez187 @ 04/27/16 05:51 PM
My copy from Play Asia also shipped and will be here by 1030am tomorrow according to FedEx. Too bad I work until 330pm

# 146 jyoung @ 04/27/16 11:27 PM
Vernon already has the settings menus translated for Power Pros 2016 over at spiritstranslations:

http://powerprotranslation.com/setti...gs_2016-4.html

Dunno if the Vita version's menus are different than the PS4 version's but I doubt it given Konami's recent history with their ports (they're usually identical).

# 147 strawberryshortcake @ 04/28/16 02:52 AM
Has there ever been any explanation as to why Konami's Power Pro and Pro Yakyuu Spirits doesn't have english or other region translations (spanish, french, etc. etc.) built into the game similar to other games on the market? Is it simply a license issue?

Just ran a youtube search for other games, even other Konami games, along with tags "spanish" "french" within the title and footage shows the translation built directly in the game.

I bought one copy of Konami's Professional Baseball Spirits PS3 once, tried navigating the menu blindly and played several games but decided it's simple too much of a hassle. Still a fantastic game for "play now" exhibition matches, but trying to get through a season is more work than I would like.

If only ...

# 148 C.J.S. @ 04/28/16 06:48 AM

Now i know after seeing this, the Fox engine is better than anything else out there.
Look at how the baseball transitions to a larger size when the pitcher misses his snap. Look at the Frame rates. It's smoother than Tennessee whiskey.

Makes MLB The Show look choppy.

Look at the Catchers expression when the pitcher gets crushed. It's priceless.

# 149 Will I Am @ 04/28/16 12:02 PM
The game is indeed smooth, just played a bit yesterday was working on figuring out some of the settings etc. as this is my first experience with Power Pros.

Here is a stream of someone playing.

https://www.twitch.tv/acwallace/

# 150 bluengold34_OS @ 04/28/16 12:47 PM
Just ordered this from Play-Asia - can't wait.

# 151 jyoung @ 04/28/16 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Has there ever been any explanation as to why Konami's Power Pro and Pro Yakyuu Spirits doesn't have english or other region translations (spanish, french, etc. etc.) built into the game similar to other games on the market? Is it simply a license issue?
Both games are sold and marketed in only one region and are based on a Japanese baseball league. It would be a huge waste of time, money, and manpower for Konami to offer multiple language options when only a few hundred non-Japanese speakers are buying those games each year, at best.

There's very little international appeal to a Japanese baseball game like there is with Metal Gear, Castlevania, et al.

It would make about as much sense as a college lacrosse game having a Japanese language option.

# 152 strawberryshortcake @ 04/28/16 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Both games are sold and marketed in only one region and are based on a Japanese baseball league. It would be a huge waste of time, money, and manpower for Konami to offer multiple language options when only a few hundred non-Japanese speakers are buying those games each year, at best.

There's very little international appeal to a Japanese baseball game like there is with Metal Gear, Castlevania, et al.

It would make about as much sense as a college lacrosse game having a Japanese language option.
So it's not a license issue? So they can if they wanted to like yesterday? Completely different genre, but asking because even with "anime" (Japanese cartoons), there are multiple subtitle tracks at the customer disposal despite anime being an incredibly niche market outside of Japan.

Plus, I'm not really referring to popular games like Metal Gear or Castlevania. What's the worst selling game of 2015? There's probably a language translation built into that particular game for multiple region. Again guessing.

How much does it truly cost and resource (i.e. free google translation) to implement a text language into a video game while keeping the japanese audio exactly the same? Couldn't it very well become popular IF the choice was possibly made available starting with only English translation first?

# 153 jyoung @ 04/28/16 04:07 PM
The cost of localizing the game for any foreign region is more than they would make back in sales.

Video game localization isn't as simple as running text files through translation software. They would have to hire multiple employees, or outsource the task to a company that specializes in localization.

Modes like MyLife and Success have lots of story events and cutscenes that would have to be manually rewritten.

The market for baseball games just isn't very lucrative. Even when Konami had a fully licensed, well-reviewed, cheap-to-buy game like MLB Bobblehead Pros, it still ended up being one of the worst-selling titles in the history of Xbox Live.

# 154 jyoung @ 04/28/16 04:56 PM
Manager mode translations are now up on Vernon's website:

http://powerprotranslation.com/manag...orial2014.html

# 155 RNunez187 @ 04/28/16 06:26 PM
Play Asia and FedEx came through! I'll be checking it out later tonight!

# 156 Will I Am @ 04/28/16 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNunez187
Play Asia and FedEx came through! I'll be checking it out later tonight!
Ho Lee Crap all the way from Japan in one day, gotta love that. Have fun I sure have been. Already drained my phone twice using the translation app.

# 157 RNunez187 @ 04/28/16 07:53 PM
I think I used my phone more trying to setup my japanese account on the PS4. It seemed to be much more difficult then doing it on the PS3. Played a quick few innings but the speed of the game seemed much slower. Last game I played was 2013 though. I'll try to play more tonight.

PS - I was extremely surprised at how quick the game shipped. Major kudos to FedEx.

# 158 C.J.S. @ 04/29/16 12:10 PM
i just downloaded something that was 3000 yen and now it's free, success maybe, gonna check it out.

# 159 Will I Am @ 04/29/16 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.S.
i just downloaded something that was 3000 yen and now it's free, success maybe, gonna check it out.
Yeah that's the success version. The regular game was something like 8600 yen. Its a lot cheaper if you order the physical game but I couldn't wait and it takes forever for me to receive the games, besides I like not having disks.

# 160 jyoung @ 04/29/16 12:59 PM
Amazon Japan delivered early!

I got the 1.01 patch downloaded, but I haven't been able to redeem the preorder bonus code that's printed on the insert inside the game case. It says the code is invalid.

If anyone wants to play some online matches today (preferably USA East Coasters), send me a friend request:

jyoung--OS

I'm just going to try to get my settings right and try out some exhibition games today.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.