Home
FIFA 16 News Post

FIFA's Ultimate Team (FUT) has a bad reputation when it comes to the games more traditional, offline players. Scour our forum hours, or even minutes after EA Canada releases a "stability patch" for FUT, and you will see comments along the lines of "FUT is all EA cares about," "Career Mode is once again getting the short-end-of-the-stick", etc. While it's hard to argue against that logic, there's no denying the popularity of FUT and for good reason. Ultimate Team can be addictive fun alternative to battling the CPU's sometimes stagnant offline AI. It's with this in mind that we'll take a look at three reasons for offline players to take the plunge into the card mode.

Read More - Three Reasons for Career Mode Players to Try Ultimate Team in FIFA 16

Game: FIFA 16Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 2 - View All
FIFA 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 DirectFX @ 11/10/15 03:24 AM
I hate everyone one of the UT for any of the sports games. I despise that they ever were included as they are just $$$ pits for game companies. I never got why see videos on YouTube of FUT players going crazy over opening up virtual packs for virtual players? It's a combo of fantasy football and Pokemon cards. Go play Pokemon or magic if u like virtual card games . There is absolutely zero realism in the games as the teams are all the same superstars and nothing like real teams. I remember getting excited in younger years open a real sports card pack and you pull a great rookie, jersey or auto but UT is just some horrible mix of games/cards that I just never get excited about or will ever spend more money on.

# 22 10 @ 11/10/15 01:55 PM
I've never played the mode and never will but let me tell you why it's bad and so is everyone who plays it.

A lot of the reasons why fut is bad that are given here are pretty much wrong and based on assumptions and generalizations. You don't need to put in any money to get an advantage. You do need patience to play games to upgrade your team slowly and time to learn how to trade. The vast majority of my games (over 100, as high as division 2 so far) have not come against the people that abuse high pressure or other exploits. Sure those people exist but it's been far from the norm for me and a lot of other people. Most of these exploits are completely beatable if you know what you're doing also.

I completely agree career mode needs more features and attention. To tell everyone who plays fut to go play magic (not even sure what you're referring to here) pokemon or fantasy football (not interested in either of those) because you like a different mode more is laughable. Some of you made very good points, but nothing can convince some people to play online, which is completely fine! Try and convince me to play a highly unrealistic career mode filled with bad transfers, lack of depth and repetitive AI.

# 23 KG @ 11/10/15 04:35 PM
I don't understand the Pokemon jabs. To me UT reminds me of being a kid and buying baseball cards. You open packs and hope that you either get a card of value or a favorite player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 24 Turbojugend @ 11/10/15 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
To me UT reminds me of being a kid and buying baseball cards. You open packs and hope that you either get a card of value or a favorite player.
Exactly! That's what drew me into FUT in the first place, that old-timey feeling of collecting baseball cards. I can see why some people disagree with what it represents in today's market, but not everyone is a pace-abusing 12-year-old who spends their birthday gift cards on FUT coins. Like I said before, I've never spent money on FUT and managed to enjoy it for years.

As for the Pokemon comparisons, well, we shouldn't be throwing stones should we? Outside of the sports video game bubble we live in, the FIFA video game is a lot closer to playing Pokemon than playing the real sport.

# 25 godquality01 @ 11/11/15 06:20 AM
And the FUT apologists are here. EA should do more for CM bcos if they spend half the time and manpower on CM as they do FUT, then our complain won't be that many would it?
Anyway I see no usefulness of FUT but who am I to judge? If anybody enjoys it then good for them. Why should I be excited to open a virtual card am I 10 years old or something or both?.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

# 26 mfp @ 11/11/15 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
I don't understand the Pokemon jabs. To me UT reminds me of being a kid and buying baseball cards. You open packs and hope that you either get a card of value or a favorite player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Totally agree. And it's a lot of fun being able to try out so many different players.

Again, if they'd just let us change the half length settings for FUT single player, I'd play it a lot more. No idea why it's fixed to 6 minutes.

# 27 10 @ 11/11/15 08:45 AM
Quote:
And the FUT apologists are here.
Anyone with a differing viewpoint than mine is wrong and is an fut apologist!

Quote:
EA should do more for CM bcos if they spend half the time and manpower on CM as they do FUT, then our complain won't be that many would it?
Aside from fut draft, the mode has had minimal changes over the last 4 years. There are also two different teams that work on fut and career mode.

Quote:
Anyway I see no usefulness of FUT but who am I to judge?
He says, before calling people who play it 10 year olds and those who support it apologists. You also don't have a very good understanding of the word apologist.

Quote:
If anybody enjoys it then good for them. Why should I be excited to open a virtual card am I 10 years old or something or both?.
Good stuff here. Not a good point or particularly insightful, but still good.

# 28 onin9190 @ 11/11/15 07:26 PM
Until they make FUT/MUT a mode where you don't spend actually money to get better players I will never contribute. This is why we say they care more about modes that bring in money. It's a shame that they charge us $60 for game that are worth half of that and still have the audacity to make us want to spend more money to acquire FUT/MUT card packs to get better players.

# 29 ZekeRoberts @ 11/12/15 03:05 AM
I haven't seen the biggest reason NOT to play FUT yet (at least for me)...

You can't change game speed or sliders on offline FUT. So it is truly a different game if you get used to making some settings changes in your CM. Also I am highly skeptical that FUT is wired the same as Default Normal to begin with. Whoever just said it is two different teams working on the two modes lends some validity to that theory....

(Really frustrates me too, because I WANT to enjoy FUT and I even shelled out the extra $10 for the deluxe version to get weekly packs... I can't believe I fell for that!)

# 30 dubcity @ 11/12/15 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekeRoberts
I haven't seen the biggest reason NOT to play FUT yet (at least for me)...

You can't change game speed or sliders on offline FUT. So it is truly a different game if you get used to making some settings changes in your CM. Also I am highly skeptical that FUT is wired the same as Default Normal to begin with. Whoever just said it is two different teams working on the two modes lends some validity to that theory....

(Really frustrates me too, because I WANT to enjoy FUT and I even shelled out the extra $10 for the deluxe version to get weekly packs... I can't believe I fell for that!)

Weird that they don't let you change the half length in offline matches. I swear that was possible in some previous versions of FIFA. Maybe they think you'll play on beginner difficulty with 20 minute halves and earn too many precious coins by scoring 50 goals or something.

That's another I dislike about UT. You earn so few coins for each match, and a decent gold pack is 15k coins. Not that you're going to pull anything in those packs anyway...

Also, playing offline UT seasons, you start from the bottom difficulty. Which means playing tons of matches on professional and lower, and winning 8-0 over and over just to be promoted to divisions that give a decent reward. Same with offline UT cups. That is extremely boring.

# 31 godquality01 @ 11/12/15 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10
Anyone with a differing viewpoint than mine is wrong and is an fut apologist!

Aside from fut draft, the mode has had minimal changes over the last 4 years. There are also two different teams that work on fut and career mode.

He says, before calling people who play it 10 year olds and those who support it apologists. You also don't have a very good understanding of the word apologist.

Good stuff here. Not a good point or particularly insightful, but still good.
Let us agree at least on one thing. We all have our own opinion. So you can dissect my comments all you want. Read whatever meaning you want to each sentence if that makes you sleep better. Especially assuming that am calling others 10 years old. Iwas only referring to myself and what am not. Also you can enlighten me what an apologist is.
Now to the FUT vs CM discussion, whether or not there are different teams working on both mode I still believe EA should spend more effort on CM mode. Again my opinion don't say am forcing this down your throat.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

# 32 mfp @ 11/12/15 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
Weird that they don't let you change the half length in offline matches. I swear that was possible in some previous versions of FIFA. Maybe they think you'll play on beginner difficulty with 20 minute halves and earn too many precious coins by scoring 50 goals or something.

That's another I dislike about UT. You earn so few coins for each match, and a decent gold pack is 15k coins. Not that you're going to pull anything in those packs anyway...

Also, playing offline UT seasons, you start from the bottom difficulty. Which means playing tons of matches on professional and lower, and winning 8-0 over and over just to be promoted to divisions that give a decent reward. Same with offline UT cups. That is extremely boring.
You can't increase the half lengths but you can increase the difficulty levels.

Also, is it true that FUT gamespeed for online matches is set to FAST? I read elsewhere that if you pause during a game you'll see it's set to fast. True?

# 33 Turbojugend @ 11/12/15 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by godquality01
Now to the FUT vs CM discussion, whether or not there are different teams working on both mode I still believe EA should spend more effort on CM mode.
I think you'll find little argument from anyone on this subject.

# 34 Turbojugend @ 11/12/15 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
This is true, but there are a few ways to can get around this. First off, never buy packs unless you just enjoy the thrill of opening them. Like you said, you're almost guaranteed to be wasting your coins with packs, especially when 15k gets you an excellent player (or two) on the market. Hell, I've built entire squads with 100 chem for less than 10k.

Second, use the Catalogue to redeem coin boosts. Most players have a surplus of FCC to begin with, spending them on coin boosts nets you up to 1,000 extra per match. Not bad.

Third, play the complimentary FUT Draft they give you. I am not a huge fan of this mode but I did get Iniesta just for trying it out. Again, not bad.

There absolutely is a way to get great players from FUT without spending actual cash. It's the strict gameplay requirements (short halves, quick match speed) that are making this mode less and less appealing to me.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.