Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

NBA 2K Gameplay Director, Mike Wang has been answering questions in various threads in the NBA 2K Forum, so I thought I'd gather them all here, for convenience.

As always, once patches are submitted to MS and Sony, it typically takes 10 to 14 days to become available (usually longer for MS).

Patch 3 Changes

Q: When will the third patch be released?
A: It should be finished this week... Then off to MS and Sony

Q: CPU being overpowered in Pro-Am.
A: This will be addressed in patch 3.

Q: Are blocks being addressed?
A: We're just nerfing poorly rated shot blockers so guys like JJ Redick aren't throwing shots like Lebron.
A: Blocks are being addressed in Patch 3.

Q: Is there a chance we could see stationary stepbacks and step shots get a healthy boost (especially when open) for the players that can do them (or have high ratings and relevant badges)?
A: This one's tricky, Sundown. Currently, standing stepback jumpers are treated the same as other "skill" shots like spin jumpers and pull-up J's. So to fix zig-zagging pull-ups, all of these shots took a pretty big hit. I need to put standing stepbacks in a separate category to be able to boost JUST those shot types, so it's something that we'd have to address in the patch. I'll investigate that today.

Q: Does shooting and Patch 3 tweaks apply in already in progress MyCareers?
A: Yes. They apply everywhere.

Q: Regarding stepback jumpers.
A: I think we have a solution for Patch 3. Until then, it's kind of hacky, but there is a workaround. If you hold LS away, tap Shoot to do the stepback jumper, but then pause for a brief moment (technically, breaking out of the shot to a live dribble, then shooting immediately after) rather than doing it as a Tap+Press&Hold mechanic, you can still create space with the stepback and then branch into the shot portion without incurring the penalty.

Q: Getting an off balance "contested" shot when you don't complete your dribble.
A: It will be patched.
A: Yes, this is what I was referring to when I said it will be patched. Guys playing fadeaway contested anims at inappropriate times. The defensive threshold to trigger those shot animations is just way too low. Nothing is changing with shot percentages... it's just an aesthetic change.

Q: Gameplay updates.
A: We've made a number of significant gameplay fixes for this 3rd patch and my time has been swamped trying to test and balance gameplay before it goes out the door, while also starting new designs and feature work on 2k17. So as much as I'd love to mess with you guys by tweaking the game every day, that's simply not a good use of time.

Shooting Changes

Q: Contested shots at the rim.
A: The change I made only impacts contact shots. Across the board, you should see those drop less. But you can tell by the animation, if the collision looks heavy (defender noticeably knocking the shooter off balance for example), the shot % gets dropped much lower than if the collision looks light (shooter is getting hit by the defender but his layup looks relatively undisturbed.)

Q: What constitutes an "excellent shooter" for these wide open 3 %s you've adjusted?
A: I don't want to give away how our shot heuristics work, but basically, anybody above a 75 rating would see a slight increase in wide open 3's since Saturday. The higher the rating, the bigger the increase. But again, the boost was pretty conservative.

Q: Contested threes.
A: Yeah, I didn't touch contested 3s at all. I can make a tweak there as well if you guys all feel it's a problem. Seems like most people are seeing plenty of bricks on well contested 3s though, so it's a little scary to hit them even harder. It's also possible that what you're perceiving as a well contested 3, is actually considered open as far as the game is concerned. That would change how I go about fixing your issue.

Q: What did the two shooting updates do?
A: The two updates mentioned by bcruise are the only shot % updates made to date. The first was to lower middies, the second to lower contact layups. I have noticed a significant increase in 3pt success since day 1 (primarily in the park), but I attribute that mostly to you guys getting better at the game and your players' leveling up over time.

Roster Updates

Q: Is there any type of live DNA updating that affects players day-to-day based on NBA day-to-day activities?
A: Mike Stauffer is our roster guy and is making regular updates, yes.

Other Updates

Q: Deadeye badge in NBA 2K16 compared to last year.
A: Deadeye was way too OP last year, essentially it made the game think that closing defenders were not there at all. It's still one of the strongest shooting badges, but we did have to neutralize it a bit.

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 The Senator @ 11/05/15 04:54 PM
I have to say I'm a bit disappointed at the tweak to the blocks. Even so, it's not that I lack comprehension for the reasons, I just liked having the ability for a wing player to time someone like I've been able to do.

# 42 Magnus1959 @ 11/05/15 04:59 PM
Thought they nerfed them shots already.

# 43 ch46647 @ 11/05/15 05:07 PM
Hopefully they have fixed the overpowered CPU Man-Defense and all the warping and suction that goes along with it.

Also, I hope they improve the launch points out of dribble moves so we can explode to the basket. (This may be a byproduct of overpowered CPU defense and the ability to suck you into animations)

# 44 Teleo @ 11/05/15 05:15 PM
Has the sweat been fixed for playing 12 minute quarters?

# 45 mlb08 @ 11/05/15 05:25 PM
Need to address the boring crowd. Barely any sound. Just increase the crowd audio play by play. Fix CPU full court press but as a user I can full sprint all the way all the other end to score easily time to time. Blocks are too easy to get. CPU doesnt take a lot of 3's. CPU doesnt defend PnR well way too easy to score. Fix auto substitution. CPU just subs all the reserves in and near end of some quarters starters should be in, if the minutes are adjusted they should be playing certain minutes. Please enable users to edit headbands. Apply new jereys to any modes not restart every time you update. Same goes to roster update why it cant apply to any mode, we have to restart every time. Please listen to us for once....

# 46 engrishbwudd @ 11/05/15 05:52 PM
This game is incredible and it will most likely be the benchmark sports game of this generation. My biggest issue, however, is with paint defense. So many times a game both me and the cpu get easy layups/dunks because the center will drift behind the backboard, leaving their man wide open. It makes the overall points in the paint unrealistically high. So, if paint defense gets tweaked I'll be ridiculously happy. I'm an easy fella to please.

# 47 E The Rhymer @ 11/05/15 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSoisNiCEx414
Hopefully they fix when I'm playing pro am my ovr is lowered.

That's not broken pro am and blacktop show your players real ovr the one you see in my career and park is a faux to make you feel like your not the role player the capped you into being you will also notice this is you are stuck with beta player or even passing another player on the team for the beta spot even though you see yourself with a better ovr...

Ps do any other centers have their ovr actually go UP in the pro am I'm a 92 in my career but the alpha dog on my team with a 94 in pro am which I'm not complaining about but just find weird as Everyone else I've played with he thier ovr go down while mine went up

Sent from my iPhone with minimal cares for grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

# 48 jfsolo @ 11/05/15 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetuous65
shooting, shooting, shooting, what about the defensive AI? Centers having no court awareness on Defense setting up at the stanchion, fast break defense being dumb as a box of rocks and the almighty Adaptive coaching engine will it work? as the blog suggested becuase it hasn't worked as advertised. Players leaving there man for no reason ect... Like I said the defenders have no court awareness or situational awareness either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by engrishbwudd
This game is incredible and it will most likely be the benchmark sports game of this generation. My biggest issue, however, is with paint defense. So many times a game both me and the cpu get easy layups/dunks because the center will drift behind the backboard, leaving their man wide open. It makes the overall points in the paint unrealistically high. So, if paint defense gets tweaked I'll be ridiculously happy. I'm an easy fella to please.
Although no one from the dev team has said anything about these issues, I feel 100% certain that these things will be fixed. These are critical flaws that completely undermine all the good stuff in the game, so if they aren't address then nothing else really matters.

# 49 hanzsomehanz @ 11/05/15 07:44 PM
Great resource, thankz!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

# 50 hanzsomehanz @ 11/05/15 07:54 PM
What or who is a "stanchion" ?

# 51 threetothedome @ 11/05/15 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyste_
anything about sock length or compression PANTS ? anything about sports shades that Larry Sanders/Chris Douglas-Roberts wear. I want to equip those for MyPlayer. I hope this will be available in this patch.
same here man, same here.

# 52 Pitbullz4Life @ 11/05/15 08:19 PM
What about the team socks, length and team colors and other accessories like compression shorts for my career? And the compression legs that Durant and most other players wear?!?!

# 53 jfsolo @ 11/05/15 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
What or who is a "stanchion" ?

It's the padded structure that holds up the basket. In the game right now, User CPU controlled teammates wander out of bounds right next to the stanchion at a minimum of 10-20 times a game letting players on the other team have easy scoring opportunities at the rim.

# 54 Giovaz @ 11/05/15 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb08
Can 2k fix the crowd I mean it's very quiet. No cheers or movement and at random times they cheer and get up. Play by play crowd should react different ways like offense running should have the crowd chanting and when it's on defense the chant as well. Right now the crowd is like dead pointless to have a sellout. Just look at Nba live the crowd is amazing. Gives you energy to play better. Please address the crowd in the patch.
THIS 100x.

FIX THE CROWD REACTIONS, PLEASE!

Right now it's horrible to play at home because the crowd is so akward. Totally random reactions, most of the times it's complete silence, takes away a lot from playing the game, with no emotion or pump.

No energy with dunks, threes, blocks... there are stretches where the noise is under zero... and in general the crowd way too quiet.

Also if you go into the playoffs, the crowd has the pattern of postseason (like yellow shirts for GSW) but the problem is still there and looks worse, because in postseason the crowd is 10 times louder.

It wasn't like that in previous 2k and HOPE SINCERELY it's fixed.

# 55 hanzsomehanz @ 11/05/15 11:01 PM
The crowd noise finally stood out to me last night as being very dull and lifeliess, it's like a faint buzz whisking from the stands... I check my audio sliders to see if something was awry but settings were fine...

I definitely would like to see the crowd atmosphere tuned, it's a detractor from the immersion... I feel like crowd statistics was tuned recently to be toned down because I never noticed it this clearly how dull the crowd was till now.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

# 56 hanzsomehanz @ 11/05/15 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
It's the padded structure that holds up the basket. In the game right now, User CPU controlled teammates wander out of bounds right next to the stanchion at a minimum of 10-20 times a game letting players on the other team have easy scoring opportunities at the rim.
Ah ok, thanks for kicking me that knowledge!

I do see this erroneous game play string every game but I will say I see it least often on All-star Simulation.

I hope they will raise offense and defense awareness slider percentages. What players are doing is zombie like but at same time it is as if the Center is trying to avoid a camping in key violation.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

# 57 The 24th Letter @ 11/05/15 11:41 PM
Man I really hope they don't nerf blocking and on ball d too much....last thing I want is for it to become a free for all

# 58 23 @ 11/05/15 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Man I really hope they don't nerf blocking and on ball d too much....last thing I want is for it to become a free for all
I just wish people didn't complain about EVERYTHING so much

I enjoyed the blocking alot more at release to be honest, much more like 2k14, and now guys wanna just continue to drive around everyone to get to the basket

Like it's getting ridiculous

# 59 CaseIH @ 11/06/15 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmac
More non-shooting fouls PLEASE!

Or at least tell us what triggers calls.

Specifically Loose ball and Over the back.

Also the screens set in this game are VERY heavy and illegal but NO fouls called. Please tune these to whistle more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This and the fact that AI never will use zone d no matter if you put it at 100 in coach profiles, they wont ever switch it up, nor will your team if you have setting to auto.

I really hate to see them nerf shot blocking even they say it is just guys like JJ Reddick, because typically that's the type of thing that the devs typically screw up when messing with, and we will end up with nos hot blocking once again. Finally tis is the best shotblocking has been in a long time, so I hate to see them mess it up, even if it means a guy like Reddick is capable of blocking few shots. Personally I haven't seen that, but I don't try blocking shots with non shot blockers and quite frankly I still don't think the AI team actually gets enough blocked shots as is right now.

# 60 Jrocc23 @ 11/06/15 01:33 AM
I know Mike can do it without a patch, but I am hoping he fixes the shooting for the CPU in MC. I barely even be wanting to play because of that. It's like I get to get in the right mindset to prepare for the silly shots they make consistently lol.

I wish he could tweak sliders for certain modes. But the mid range and 3pt shooting is kind of crazy for the CPU.

Seems like the CPU contest on each other isn't that effective as if I was on them. Maybe because to combat offball users online, that the CPU contest isn't as strong.

Anxious for this patch. Just hoping it makes MC more enjoyable. I don't even be wanting to run pick and rolls w/ how easy it is. And the transition D is horrendous.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.