Home
PES 2016 News Post

In a day and age where video games are supposed to mimic what we see on television, there's still a fine line between fun and realism that can make or break a sports title. At its core, PES 2016 achieves what it was set out to accomplish, a blend of realism (unique player ID, team styles, etc.) and fun (fast-paced action, highlights galore, etc.).

Trying to cram 90 minutes into a 10-25 minute experience can be challenging, especially in a sport where a good majority of the play is focused in the center of the field, ways away from either goal. Sure, PES 2016 suffers from inconsistent referees and animations that could be improved, but when it shines, it illuminates the screen.

Read More - PES 2016 and the Idea of Unmitigated Joy (Written by: Kevin Groves)

Game: PES 2016Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
PES 2016 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 stocksy @ 11/29/15 06:05 AM
For years I have not understood the love the PES gets. As a football fan since a young boy and Both a player and a spectator of live football PES is lacking in both consistency on the pitch and depth and realism of modes off the pitch.

Every year I go into it with new hope trying to find and see what I see people say about the series but I'm always disappointed.

The game play is the complete opposite to what is said above, the lack of licenses means that unless you are playing exhibitions the fact players "play differently" is pointless. There is no way to replicate the beauty of Stoke Vs Sunderland on a rainy Tuesday. The fact that there is no realistic manager mode that mirrors taking a team in a real league through season after season as it would happen in real life also kills it.

How players can over look this I will never know.

It's like having a NBA game with no draft system and no divisions. If NBA live shipped without a draft system and two leagues with promotion and relegation and no NBA finals it would be hammered on here yet PES redesigns football the way it works and how it would be the manage a club and it Barely gets mentioned!

# 2 bxphenom7 @ 11/29/15 07:48 AM
The way the game flows is what keeps me coming back. It just looks and moves closer to real football, despite presentation issues. I love how well you can maneuver with little space. Like NBA 2k and MLB, it does a great job overall to make me forget I'm playing a video game. The control I feel over players is great. There's weight balanced so well with responsiveness. And speed is handled well to where it makes a difference but doesn't get abused as easily. I have high hopes for where PES will be at the end if this generation.

# 3 Simaofan-20 @ 11/29/15 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stocksy
For years I have not understood the love the PES gets. As a football fan since a young boy and Both a player and a spectator of live football PES is lacking in both consistency on the pitch and depth and realism of modes off the pitch.

Every year I go into it with new hope trying to find and see what I see people say about the series but I'm always disappointed.

The game play is the complete opposite to what is said above, the lack of licenses means that unless you are playing exhibitions the fact players "play differently" is pointless. There is no way to replicate the beauty of Stoke Vs Sunderland on a rainy Tuesday. The fact that there is no realistic manager mode that mirrors taking a team in a real league through season after season as it would happen in real life also kills it.

It's like having a NBA game with no draft system and no divisions. If NBA live shipped without a draft system and two leagues with promotion and relegation and no NBA finals it would be hammered on here yet PES redesigns football the way it works and how it would be the manage a club and it Barely gets mentioned!
Is it Konami's fault that EA pays for exclusive licenses ? Is it their fault that they had the entire La Liga licensed including all stadiums but EA took that from them and haven't used it since? What about the German league and their exclusivity with EA? How can anyone blame Konami for that? It simply isn't fair. Also, the idea that they don't ship with major championships is factually incorrect. Why aren't you praising them for the champions league and Europa league licenses? What about having the Euro 2016 tournament and jerseys for free something EA never did? There's nothing wrong with not enjoying PES, its a different game but to complain about lack of license because they aren't willing to add them in is silly. The fact that you flat out tried to make a ridiculous comparison by claiming "what if NBA shipped without ...." and how its so horrible for PES for lacking features that FIFA has because that simply isn't the case at all.

# 4 Ettnollbajen @ 11/29/15 09:46 AM
Quote:

Seriously NBA live?
Worst sports game ever,hope you mean NBA 2k.
NHL and FIFA are great EA games,NBA is a joke

# 5 HenryClay1844 @ 11/29/15 10:30 AM
Quote:

Agree with this sentiment. PES 2016 is the most overrated game I've ever played, with the possible exception of the old 2k football games way back when. Gameplay isn't that good and the support and attention to detail is the worst of any sports game out there. They still don't have the transfer deadline rosters correct.

# 6 stocksy @ 11/29/15 01:11 PM
The exclusive licenses have little to do with it.

The fact there isn't a mode that allows you to mirror real life.

Almost all sports games with or without licenses at least at attempt to give you the chance to play a mode that mirrors the day to day of being a team/franchise.

This is only one of the issues that plagues PES.

Blaming EA for buying licenses is more ridiculous that accusing me of blaming konami. EA pay for those expensive licenses that konami don't and yet the games ship at a similar price. I didn't mention this. My point about Stoke Vs Sunderland was more to do with the fact that in PES it's all about Barca playing like Barca. (Which even then is a stretch to the reality) the makers seem to completely ignore that fact that slick passing and wonder goals aren't the only way to play football.

You try and play with statistically a much much lower team (perhaps English non league standard) and play against a premier league standard and by smart play and concentration dig out a result. That is the real beautiful game. FA cup games in a windy January - Giant killings....

PES is always sold by its fans as being realistic - it's not. Far from it.

It's not about licenses it's about structure.

FIFA doesn't have the champions league license but it in career mode has a cup that follows the same qualifying criteria and fits into how the tournament would. Who cares about a cup emblem. It's all about structure for realism.

I'm not saying FIFA is perfect and I never mentioned FIFA I was just looking at PES in isolation

# 7 Ettnollbajen @ 11/29/15 01:57 PM
Quote:

Almost all sports games with or without licenses at least at attempt to give you the chance to play a mode that mirrors the day to day of being a team/franchise.

This is only one of the issues that plagues PES.

Blaming EA for buying licenses is more ridiculous that accusing me of blaming konami. EA pay for those expensive licenses that konami don't and yet the games ship at a similar price. I didn't mention this. My point about Stoke Vs Sunderland was more to do with the fact that in PES it's all about Barca playing like Barca. (Which even then is a stretch to the reality) the makers seem to completely ignore that fact that slick passing and wonder goals aren't the only way to play football.

You try and play with statistically a much much lower team (perhaps English non league standard) and play against a premier league standard and by smart play and concentration dig out a result. That is the real beautiful game. FA cup games in a windy January - Giant killings....

PES is always sold by its fans as being realistic - it's not. Far from it.

It's not about licenses it's about structure.

FIFA doesn't have the champions league license but it in career mode has a cup that follows the same qualifying criteria and fits into how the tournament would. Who cares about a cup emblem. It's all about structure for realism.

I'm not saying FIFA is perfect and I never mentioned FIFA I was just looking at PES in isolation
I understand what you're going for.
I wouldn't care if Pes didn't have a single license,if they can't create the feeling you get when beating a big team in the cup with you're third div team on a rainy pitch in January,it's not for me either.
Always defended this game before,started with Pes 5 all the way to my latest purchase Pes 16.
I'm done with playing on 9 stadiums in ML,a boring cup run etc.

Like I said wouldn't care less if every league was fake,as long as you have 3-4 div,and stadiums for most teams,and the "experience" of watching/attending a game.

Switching to FIFA now,hopefully they sort out things at Konami,like importing stadiums/kits/etc if they can't afford to buy them
And most important,listening to their customers
Cheers

# 8 dubcity @ 11/29/15 02:25 PM
Gameplay is king. I would rather play PES with fake teams and fake players in exhibition matches than FIFA with all the Prem league teams and stadiums. The gameplay is just fun and dynamic. Even Master League is a joy, with its issues.

# 9 TimmyShagpile @ 11/29/15 04:45 PM
I've always said that FIFA is better online while PES is better offline. The thing that bugged me about FIFA was that teams had no identity. Every side played like Barcelona and any attempted balls over the top were miracles. In PES, I know when I'm playing Barca and I know when I'm playing Stoke. I'll barely touch the ball vs Barca while Stoke will stick to their route one football.

# 10 RonMexico1992 @ 11/29/15 04:55 PM
Quote:

Lol Ok.

You're talking about nothing on the pitch? By far and away PES is the best football sim on the field. The midfield play and passing is a thing of beauty. The physicality of the game etc.

Pretty sure I have Stoke & Sunderland on my game? A rainy tuesday? What is that a league cup match because the Premier league doesn't have games on Tuesday?

# 11 RonMexico1992 @ 11/29/15 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyShagpile
I've always said that FIFA is better online while PES is better offline. The thing that bugged me about FIFA was that teams had no identity. Every side played like Barcelona and any attempted balls over the top were miracles. In PES, I know when I'm playing Barca and I know when I'm playing Stoke. I'll barely touch the ball vs Barca while Stoke will stick to their route one football.
EXACTLY. FIFA dominates online. I love FUT and think PES online is a joke. But if you LOVE offline, Career/Master League, PES blows FIFA out in the same exact way FIFA's online crushes PES's online.

# 12 RonMexico1992 @ 11/29/15 05:11 PM
Quote:

Lol what are you talking about? Master League?

PES fans rave over PES because we LOVE THE GAMEPLAY ON THE FIELD, not whatever nerd bs you're ranting about. Everything you're talking about is off the field?

I've played FIFA Career's with over 3 seasons put in each edition in past 3 years on each game. I have set of sliders with over 27k views. Div 3 on FUT. I have over 5,000 followers on twitch from only streaming FIFA. So what is this mode you talk about that PES doesn't have? Because Career mirrors real life in almost the exact same way PES does. FIFA just has a few more leagues? Thats it?

And ANYTHING fifa has, I can add to PES. I have PC, I have MLS, Bundesliga, J-League, 2. Bundesliga, Liga MX. I have 1000s of extra faces by the community. I have extra kits by the community. I have 70 stadiums, not all crammed into one league the Premier league like FIFA gives you, then you have 20 stadiums left for the other 30 leagues in the game? Lol

& No matter what you say, SUNDERLAND & STOKE will NEVER look like Sunderland & Stoke on FIFA because on FIFA, teams don't play like their real life counterparts. & that is a FACT. If you actually knew football, you would know the teams play nothing like their real life counterparts, and almost all the teams play exactly the same way, every game.

In PES we have the ability to make EVERY team play almost identical to their real life counterpart. So what is this realism you speak of in FIFA? Because as a SIM gamers, the most important part of a sim is the action on the field? PES has won.

I guess realism is FIFA sliders where you universally make every team have the same line and play the same way. Ok.

FIFA on the field is stale. The end.

PS: I love Stoke's Britannia Stadium, I use it for the team I'm managing in PES currently FC Twente.

# 13 stocksy @ 11/29/15 05:43 PM
Why does everyone make this conversations about PES or FIFA about each other.

My orignal post doesn't mention FIFA.

It's all about PES.

"A rainy Tuesday night in Stoke" is a famous quote. Often used to judge the quality of a player... For example - "yeah he can score 60 goals in 40 games in la liga but can he do it on a rainy Tuesday night in Stoke" pundits use it, fans in pubs use it.... I was using it to highlight the fact that people keep saying "Barca play like Barca in PES" but for me the lesser teams don't play like lesser teams they still play like a team with worse stats.

I am a avid watcher of the Premier league and the beauty of that league is that is not predictable. Even if the top four has become a little predictable come the end of the season everything else is very hard to predict.

FIFAs shortcomings have nothing to do with PES.

My issue with lack of depth of modes/realism/licenses and options off the pitch is only part of the issue. The fact that it no way replicates football like many claim is.

It's cool. I think if others enjoy it. Superb. I enjoy plenty of games that others hate. I even liked last years NHL.

My point still stands the "teams play really different" thing I don't think gets anywhere near real life.

One season exhibition modes don't do it for me. I like to pick a team and manage them like I would in real life (badly mostly) that Pompey back to the glory days... Signing over priced players that refuse to leave....

# 14 Ettnollbajen @ 11/29/15 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMexico1992
Lol what are you talking about? Master League?

PES fans rave over PES because we LOVE THE GAMEPLAY ON THE FIELD, not whatever nerd bs you're ranting about. Everything you're talking about is off the field?

I've played FIFA Career's with over 3 seasons put in each edition in past 3 years on each game. I have set of sliders with over 27k views. Div 3 on FUT. I have over 5,000 followers on twitch from only streaming FIFA. So what is this mode you talk about that PES doesn't have? Because Career mirrors real life in almost the exact same way PES does. FIFA just has a few more leagues? Thats it?

And ANYTHING fifa has, I can add to PES. I have PC, I have MLS, Bundesliga, J-League, 2. Bundesliga, Liga MX. I have 1000s of extra faces by the community. I have extra kits by the community. I have 70 stadiums, not all crammed into one league the Premier league like FIFA gives you, then you have 20 stadiums left for the other 30 leagues in the game? Lol

& No matter what you say, SUNDERLAND & STOKE will NEVER look like Sunderland & Stoke on FIFA because on FIFA, teams don't play like their real life counterparts. & that is a FACT. If you actually knew football, you would know the teams play nothing like their real life counterparts, and almost all the teams play exactly the same way, every game.

In PES we have the ability to make EVERY team play almost identical to their real life counterpart. So what is this realism you speak of in FIFA? Because as a SIM gamers, the most important part of a sim is the action on the field? PES has won.

I guess realism is FIFA sliders where you universally make every team have the same line and play the same way. Ok.

FIFA on the field is stale. The end.

PS: I love Stoke's Britannia Stadium, I use it for the team I'm managing in PES currently FC Twente.
I respect your knowledge and and understanding of the game,and you know that.
But if your stuck with a console,there's nothing to cheer about anymore.
Great gameplay,better than FIFA,absolutely.
Playing a long career without the ability to import stadiums,not even kits or badges,well that kills it for me.
My first Pes on Xbox was 13, you could create stadiums,now I'm stuck with nine.
Yeah,nine stadiums.
In my opinion,that's just laughable,doesn't really feel that Konami cares or knows

But again,the individual settings,the depth,the gameplay,everything else,but my complaints,fantastic.
Sometimes a game needs more,especially if your on a console and can't import one little thing.
If I'd play on PC like you,I'd feel he same way as you.
But I'm not.
Wish i felt for this game,the way I felt for it between 5-13.

# 15 RonMexico1992 @ 11/29/15 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ettnollbajen
I respect your knowledge and and understanding of the game,and you know that.
But if your stuck with a console,there's nothing to cheer about anymore.
Great gameplay,better than FIFA,absolutely.
Playing a long career without the ability to import stadiums,not even kits or badges,well that kills it for me.
My first Pes on Xbox was 13, you could create stadiums,now I'm stuck with nine.
Yeah,nine stadiums.
In my opinion,that's just laughable,doesn't really feel that Konami cares or knows

But again,the individual settings,the depth,the gameplay,everything else,but my complaints,fantastic.
Sometimes a game needs more,especially if your on a console and can't import one little thing.
If I'd play on PC like you,I'd feel he same way as you.
But I'm not.
Wish i felt for this game,the way I felt for it between 5-13.
game blows on console mate. I will admit.

# 16 dubcity @ 11/29/15 05:56 PM
Quote:

So basically it sucks without massive editing and gameplay modding? Not the biggest endorsement ever. I actually love the game on PS4. Graphics on PC and last-gen are rough by comparison.

# 17 Jaayt @ 11/29/15 05:58 PM
For me once they fix the fouls, improve defensive AI especially to not allow my CB to run from one end to the other on superstar and also allow the CPU AI to shoot from long range and also shoot hi with variety, then yes this game will be amazing and the king is back,as for now, it's repetitive and boring seeing the AI always scoring low shots,defenders running away from player creating unrealistic space, if these problems aren't rectified in the next patch im selling the game and will wait till 2017, tired of konami always making a game 80% complete. Also getting tired of konami deleting modes especially community mode off/online, and master league even tho improvements are made, getting tired of my players always saying this is the best club for me whilst I'm in a relegation battle and everyone is always flattered if transfer rumors are true but when I cancel the transfer they don't say anything. As I said 80% complete.

# 18 RonMexico1992 @ 11/29/15 05:59 PM
Quote:
Why does everyone make this conversations about PES or FIFA about each other.

My orignal post doesn't mention FIFA.

It's all about PES.

"A rainy Tuesday night in Stoke" is a famous quote. Often used to judge the quality of a player... For example - "yeah he can score 60 goals in 40 games in la liga but can he do it on a rainy Tuesday night in Stoke" pundits use it, fans in pubs use it.... I was using it to highlight the fact that people keep saying "Barca play like Barca in PES" but for me the lesser teams don't play like lesser teams they still play like a team with worse stats.

I am a avid watcher of the Premier league and the beauty of that league is that is not predictable. Even if the top four has become a little predictable come the end of the season everything else is very hard to predict.

FIFAs shortcomings have nothing to do with PES.

My issue with lack of depth of modes/realism/licenses and options off the pitch is only part of the issue. The fact that it no way replicates football like many claim is.

It's cool. I think if others enjoy it. Superb. I enjoy plenty of games that others hate. I even liked last years NHL.

My point still stands the "teams play really different" thing I don't think gets anywhere near real life.

One season exhibition modes don't do it for me. I like to pick a team and manage them like I would in real life (badly mostly) that Pompey back to the glory days... Signing over priced players that refuse to leave....
You're a PES expert, how many seasons you complete PES 2016? One season mode? PES Master League last 30 years I'm pretty sure. I'm 1 game finished from completing my first season. Every team plays exactly how I want them to because I edit each team according to Whoscored. So every teams tactics are completely different. If you actually played the game, followed the community, you would know that.

# 19 Ettnollbajen @ 11/29/15 05:59 PM
Quote:
Thanx mate,just pissed and envious of you and your shiny PC lifestyle

# 20 RonMexico1992 @ 11/29/15 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
So basically it sucks without massive editing and gameplay modding? Not the biggest endorsement ever. I actually love the game on PS4. Graphics on PC and last-gen are rough by comparison.
Lmao I have to be honest man. I'm just defending the game against his points, but I can't lie about other stuff.

I just had a gaming PC, I had a PS4. Seen I could get PES on PC and play with all the extra stuff including Orlando City and just switched to PC.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.