Home
FIFA 16 News Post

FIFA 16 title update #5 is available now for PC users. Check out the details below.

The update is scheduled to arrive later for Xbox One and PlayStation 4, but an exact release date was not specified.

Four key areas of improvements:
  • Penalties and referee decisions
  • Passing
  • Defensive pressure
  • Player positioning
Quote:
With that, we are announcing and deploying a number of changes to make FIFA 16 more balanced and responsive in gameplay. These changes are in addition to tuning to passing featured in the last update.
  • Improvements to the Rules and Physics systems to have better referee decisions and help address penalty decisions.
  • Behavioral changes in ‘Secondary Contain’ and ‘Interceptions’ to help balance high-pressure situations.
  • Improvements in how quickly fatigue effects occur for players using ‘Aggressive Interceptions’ and ‘Secondary Contain’. This could, in turn, have an impact on your ability to apply high pressure as the game progresses and your players become increasingly fatigued.
  • Instances where no auto tackle launched even when positioned properly.
  • Improvements in the positioning system to allow for better attacking runs and support.
In addition to the above, EA has made minor changes to attribute boosts provided by Chemistry in FIFA Ultimate Team, which affects passing, interceptions, and long shots.

Game: FIFA 16Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 2 - View All
FIFA 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 fearwhatnow @ 12/11/15 11:31 AM
This patch clearly puts the nail in the coffin of casual FIFA football videogaming in the offline modes. The gameplay now in World Class and Legendary difficulties is hardcore. What EA has accomplished with this patch:
- Defensive awareness for cpu AI and teammate AI is drastically increased. The difference is huge. AI is closing down fast, reads well through passes and stops easily sideways running.
- Cpu AI has more variation in the offensive end, tries more long passes and takes more risks. This means there are more misjudged passes also.
- The AI positioning is simply stunning now. It was good but now they protect even more the left/right wing and there is also more help from CBs.
- Good luck pressing high for 90 minutes in 15 minutes halves. We now need to use more tactics ingame and take an even more patient approach by playing the waiting game.
- Penalties are improved because I had already 2 instances that the ref waved to play on.

# 22 nunogomes @ 12/11/15 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearwhatnow
This patch clearly puts the nail in the coffin of casual FIFA football videogaming in the offline modes. The gameplay now in World Class and Legendary difficulties is hardcore. What EA has accomplished with this patch:
- Defensive awareness for cpu AI and teammate AI is drastically increased. The difference is huge. AI is closing down fast, reads well through passes and stops easily sideways running.
- Cpu AI has more variation in the offensive end, tries more long passes and takes more risks. This means there are more misjudged passes also.
- The AI positioning is simply stunning now. It was good but now they protect even more the left/right wing and there is also more help from CBs.
- Good luck pressing high for 90 minutes in 15 minutes halves. We now need to use more tactics ingame and take an even more patient approach by playing the waiting game.
- Penalties are improved because I had already 2 instances that the ref waved to play on.
You mean the game were we play off the ball 90% of the time in hopes CPU eventually loses the ball? Because pressuring the CPU is almost a lost hope, unless they have a high First Touch in sliders.

Game was already hardcore in that regard, but if the part were you say the CPU takes more long balls and risks is true, then, we finally may have a better CPU offense.

# 23 SpHSpH @ 12/11/15 12:10 PM
Any news on timing for XBoxOne release?

# 24 Gnemi @ 12/11/15 12:20 PM
Quote:
As alarmist as you're being here, I agree with all your points. I just think casuals will be even more compelled to play on Pro difficulty.

I just can't quite wrap my head around how EA are going about determining tiers of difficulty this year. Every patch has manifestly affected the CPU's defensive structure, pressure, and tackling. And 1.05 is absolutely the fiercest yet. My biggest concern is that I'll end up scoring one or two types of goals, exclusively, because the CPU simply won't allow for any other goals.

I also agree with both fearwhatnow and nunogomes about pressuring the CPU. It's simply non-existent in FIFA 16. Pressuring the CPU was totally OP in FIFA 15, to the point where you had to resist the temptation to press high.

As a result, for all five patches of FIFA 16, the CPU still passes the ball around in their defensive third IMPECCABLY despite pressure.

I noticed a few "unusual" interceptions yesterday, however, so maybe there's something that can be done in terms of tactics and practice to press the CPU into making a bad pass. I'm not feeling optimistic about that though.

With all of the above noted, I have to confess that I'm really intrigued by 1.05, whereas 1.04 was immediately unappealing until I played it on Normal.

IMO, Normal is no longer viable for the sim/offline crowd. Even on Slow with 1.05, the camera has a hard time keeping up with the speed of the game.

# 25 orion523 @ 12/11/15 12:21 PM
Quote:
Great info, I especially love the fact that you're punished for excessively pressing just as you would be in real life. Going by that it should also hold true that if you're playing as a lesser team, forced to defend for most of the match, things will get dicey late as your players tire.

# 26 Gnemi @ 12/11/15 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion523
Great info, I especially love the fact that you're punished for excessively pressing just as you would be in real life. Going by that it should also hold true that if you're playing as a lesser team, forced to defend for most of the match, things will get dicey late as your players tire.
The problem with pressure in FIFA 16 is that you're punished for pressing, period. Pressure goes unrewarded almost entirely, perhaps more noticeably for Tactical Defensing users (like me), but getting the CPU to make mistakes, even when you're playing against crap lower league teams, just doesn't happen in FIFA 16.

Excessive pressure should be punished because in years past, it was ridiculous.

I also think it's unfortunate that the CPU is able to apply excessive pressure for 75+ minutes with relative impunity, something we discussed on last night's stream.

# 27 SpHSpH @ 12/11/15 12:57 PM
I am bummed that we have a generally sad opinion of FIFA16 at this stage (at least for those of us who play exclusively offline against the CPU). Is this fair to say?

# 28 nunogomes @ 12/11/15 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHSpH
I am bummed that we have a generally sad opinion of FIFA16 at this stage (at least for those of us who play exclusively offline against the CPU). Is this fair to say?
I agree... almost 3 months after the game is released, very few of us actually made it through a complete season. Specially people who play with good teams, lower teams seem to give a more "balanced" game...

# 29 winston @ 12/11/15 01:38 PM
Quote:
This sounds like good news. More long balls and misjudged passes by the cpu can only be a step closer to reaslism.

Quote:
If the increase in fatigue for constant pressing affects both human and cpu controlled teams equally, then this would be great news. If, as I expect, it affects only the human controlled teams, then, as an offline player, this will be predictably disappointing and mean I may have to resort to editing cpu sliders late in every match to simulate cpu fatigue, which won't exactly add to any sense of realism or immersion.

# 30 Gnemi @ 12/11/15 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunogomes
I agree... almost 3 months after the game is released, very few of us actually made it through a complete season. Specially people who play with good teams, lower teams seem to give a more "balanced" game...
Untrue! I am in my third season with Everton and it's going pretty well, honestly.

My season with 1.03 sliders was by far the best though, so I'm hoping I can achieve that again.

# 31 nunogomes @ 12/11/15 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnemi
Untrue! I am in my third season with Everton and it's going pretty well, honestly.

My season with 1.03 sliders was by far the best though, so I'm hoping I can achieve that again.
If we made a pool of who actualy played a full season the results would be terrible. You and a couple of others did it, but most didn´t.

# 32 Gnemi @ 12/11/15 02:59 PM
Quote:
If we made a pool of who actualy played a full season the results would be terrible. You and a couple of others did it, but most didn´t.
I know, and it's bothersome. It's 1/4 through the FIFA cycle and nobody is actually playing a Career?

It also diminishes my trust in evaluation of sliders when people aren't actually using them within the context of, at minimum, 10 fixtures in a career.

EDIT: I don't blame you guys, I blame EA. They keep f*#cking with the gameplay in these patches and it's well past annoying. If the game was clearly improving, it'd be one thing. They should have stopped at 1.03...

# 33 orion523 @ 12/11/15 03:51 PM
Quote:
I'm am notorious for starting, then stopping for one reason or another, most of the time due to sliders. That said, it's early December, the game hasn't been out for 3 months yet. Judge the game in August by the number of folks still playing.

# 34 Gnemi @ 12/11/15 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion523
I'm am notorious for starting, then stopping for one reason or another, most of the time due to sliders. That said, it's early December, the game hasn't been out for 3 months yet. Judge the game in August by the number of folks still playing.
I hate played FIFA 15 until August. But I'm a loser. I play this dumb game even when it's dumb!

# 35 Qb @ 12/11/15 07:40 PM
For whatever reason, I rarely get a career going before Christmas. So by my standards, we're right on schedule.

# 36 JHedges2 @ 12/11/15 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnemi
I hate played FIFA 15 until August. But I'm a loser. I play this dumb game even when it's dumb!

Guilty as charged as well

# 37 Matt10 @ 12/12/15 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
For whatever reason, I rarely get a career going before Christmas. So by my standards, we're right on schedule.
Pretty much the amount of time it has taken to get the game, to sliders, to the patch updates - that's about spot on for me as well, man!

# 38 PPerfect_CJ @ 12/12/15 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
Pretty much the amount of time it has taken to get the game, to sliders, to the patch updates - that's about spot on for me as well, man!
I like to wait until after the January transfers are finished before I get into the game on a SERIOUS level. I just wish we could turn that transfer window off on the game so that the roster would stay accurate for the entire first season.

# 39 KG @ 12/12/15 09:06 PM
I'm in YR2 of my career mode but that's mostly just because I have other priorities and I like to pace myself so I don't burn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 40 Peninc @ 12/12/15 10:22 PM
This game doesn't get enough credit. FIFA 16 is the first football game ever where what we play actually resembles football. PES games of old got some elements right but FIFA 16 has surpassed them now. I personally am extremely pleased that the devs are continuing to try to improve the game, because the truth is they don't need to. Fifa is the biggest selling game in the world and it still would be even if nothing was ever patched.

As for career mode, I've played multiple seasons with my Arsenal and Valencia teams. I doubt I'm in the minority.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.