Home
MLB The Show 16 News Post

IGN has posted a new MLB The Show 16 video, featuring Sony San Diego's Ramone Russell walking through the recently released trailer and going over many more details about the game.

Below are some of the details, but watch the entire video here.

All appropriate stadiums will have open and closed roof options (option for open or closed in Exhibition/Online games, for RTTS and Franchise, it will depend on the weather for that day)

Physically Based Rendering - Makes wood look like wood, glass look like glass, concrete look like concrete, etc...

Showtime - Slows down critical moments (dive plays, hot corner reactions, steal attempts, pressure batting moments) to give the user more precise control. Showtime is only seen in RTTS in Player Lock and it will be an optional feature you can turn on/off.

Added over 100 signature home run swings, tons of new pitcher reaction animations, so they get out of the way of the ball and not get hit as much.

Briefly went over HumanIK, which fixes transitional animations from years past, but more will be revealed in the future.

Added over 50 new double play animations, over 100 dive/throw animations, 3 brand new running styles (small, athletic, lumbering)

Conquest mode - More to be revealed later, as it is too big to cover in this particular video

Another mode that wasn't shown in the trailer, will be revealed at a later date.

Return of classic stadiums - Forbes Field, Shibe Park, Sportsman Park, Polo Grounds, Crosley Field, Griffith Park

6 new legends revealed, but more to come. All legends from last year will return.

2 new Diamond Dynasty card types - Rookie and Prime

Credit to ryanmc564 for finding this!

Game: MLB The Show 16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 23 - View All
MLB The Show 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 bronxbombers21325 @ 12/18/15 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe
Sounds like some nice additions. Add me to the camp in favor of all things revamping franchise mode:

Manager hook for RP needs adjusting; RP pitch more than 1 inning too often.

Stats stats stats, and their integration into the game. Keeping details of previous years' stats.

AI call-ups based on performance, not just organizational injuries.

Player personality, morale, etc.

Add in the handful of CBA adjustments that are missing, such as playoff eligibility.

Expansion/Relocation mode.

Steals being credited on hit and runs and other box score inaccuracies.

I guess just more attention to detail in testing catching some of the simple fixes. This is what will keep this game above the 'greatness line' for a lot of folks here at OS.
My top wish out of this list is relief pitchers being pulled realistically. It drives me nuts to see middle relievers regularly pitching 3 and 4 innings. They almost always leave them in too long, leading to a big inning. Seems like they never take them out until you start scoring.

# 122 ryanmc564 @ 12/18/15 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxbombers21325
My top wish out of this list is relief pitchers being pulled realistically. It drives me nuts to see middle relievers regularly pitching 3 and 4 innings. They almost always leave them in too long, leading to a big inning. Seems like they never take them out until you start scoring.
3 to 4 innings????? so the starter only last on an average of 5 innings in your games? I can't say I have ever experience that unless the reliever is absolutely dominating, but no more than 2 innings.

# 123 dran1984 @ 12/18/15 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmc564
3 to 4 innings????? so the starter only last on an average of 5 innings in your games? I can't say I have ever experience that unless the reliever is absolutely dominating, but no more than 2 innings.
That happens a lot in extra inning games. But I have seen that on occasion but its normally when you swing at every thing and don't run the pitch count up.

# 124 Factzzz @ 12/18/15 05:45 PM
Quote:
I wondered this at first as well. But knowing the dev team, they will implement it the way it needs to be. I have complete faith that the roofs will be closed as they would be in real life. Hot and cold weather will make a difference I would say.
It'll probably work the way automatically wearing long sleeves worked.

In games where it forced the players to wear long sleeves, the roof would be closed and same goes for the games that players were forced to wear no sleeves because it was too hot.

# 125 bronxbombers21325 @ 12/18/15 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmc564
Not every game. But the games that the starter comes out early, or in extra inning games is normally when it happens.

# 126 ryanmc564 @ 12/18/15 09:09 PM
Quote:
Not every game. But the games that the starter comes out early, or in extra inning games is normally when it happens.
Okay I can see that happening, I don't normally have high scoring games (most common final score being 4 - 2 ) and when a blow out does happen it mostly the cpu putting the hurt on. So chances are I wouldnt see that occurrence often.

# 127 Armor and Sword @ 12/19/15 07:57 AM
MVP Edition has been pre-ordered. I already know how sick this game is going to be.

# 128 forme95 @ 12/19/15 01:26 PM
The additions they mentioned all sound great and cant wait for 16' to come out. I have to go to gamestop to get the boy a PS4 for xmas and plan on pre-ordering MLB.
I also hope they fix the innings pitcher pitch so to say. It wont take away from the game for me, but it would be really nice to see a more realistic pitcher/manager ai.

Any word on if they will include a energy bar in the Lineup and Rotation screen? Its a little frustrating trying to remember to notice it right before a game for setting up the lineup for the next game. It would be a nice and welcomed addition if possible.

# 129 MrOldboy @ 12/20/15 07:47 AM
Like the new card additions to DD, ONLY if it is very hard to get those cards and field a stacked team. I ended up getting ranked pretty high last year and like the year before I ended up losing interest as I was just playing the same teams with legends and submarine DD players throwing 101mph then being forced to field a similar team to compete. I really do hope that this year, at least for a while after launch we'll see teams made that resemble MLB teams with actual weaknesses instead of even pinch hitters being legends. Having to pinch hit Bagwell for McGriff is not a weakness.

I also hope Sony and/or San Diego can fix the online modes in terms of security, reporting cheating, etc. Although I was getting bored with DD what ultimately made my quit the mode was a hack/exploit used by a user on several high ranked players that caused me to go from around 1950/60 to 1900. That along with getting a DOS attack from a salty player, yes there are people who will sick a DOS attack on you if they are losing. I've played a lot of online games, but for some reason The Show attracts some salty individuals who will do anything to not have that loss of their record.
Spoiler

# 130 bxphenom7 @ 12/20/15 02:27 PM
I'm just hoping RTTS gets some real love. There's so many more stuff to put into the game. The new animations sound promising because it REALLY needs a lot more animations. Anyways, why not introduce the World Baseball Classic, which would be cool in RTTS?? How about being able to specify a team we want to be traded to just to improve our chances? How about always giving us the option to argue calls?? ( Ode to MVP) where are all the stats? Lots of more stuff too. I love MLB and I really hope it doesn't slow down like Madden in terms of yearly progression.

# 131 GlennN @ 12/20/15 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe
Sounds like some nice additions. Add me to the camp in favor of all things revamping franchise mode:

Manager hook for RP needs adjusting; RP pitch more than 1 inning too often.

Stats stats stats, and their integration into the game. Keeping details of previous years' stats.

AI call-ups based on performance, not just organizational injuries.

Player personality, morale, etc.

Add in the handful of CBA adjustments that are missing, such as playoff eligibility.

Expansion/Relocation mode.

Steals being credited on hit and runs and other box score inaccuracies.

I guess just more attention to detail in testing catching some of the simple fixes. This is what will keep this game above the 'greatness line' for a lot of folks here at OS.
"Stats stats stats, and their integration into the game. Keeping details of previous years' stats."

Totally agree with this. Baseball, more than any other sport, is tied to stats. I would love much better stat tracking. Full career stats, teams played for, awards and championships won, all-star teams made, etc. It would be so much more immersive if my universe/franchise had that level of stat keeping.

# 132 chainsaw4099 @ 12/20/15 07:49 PM
ordered my mvp edition today come on March

# 133 Perfect Zero @ 12/20/15 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxphenom7
I'm just hoping RTTS gets some real love. There's so many more stuff to put into the game. The new animations sound promising because it REALLY needs a lot more animations. Anyways, why not introduce the World Baseball Classic, which would be cool in RTTS?? How about being able to specify a team we want to be traded to just to improve our chances? How about always giving us the option to argue calls?? ( Ode to MVP) where are all the stats? Lots of more stuff too. I love MLB and I really hope it doesn't slow down like Madden in terms of yearly progression.
I believe Konami still has the rights to the WBC.

# 134 joshtree14 @ 12/21/15 12:20 AM
If physically based rendering was turned off, wouldn't that mean the entire game would look graphically different than the trailer. Cloth uniforms would resemble cloth. More so than in previous years. grass and dirt would look more organic ect.

# 135 nemesis04 @ 12/21/15 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshtree14
If physically based rendering was turned off, wouldn't that mean the entire game would look graphically different than the trailer. Cloth uniforms would resemble cloth. More so than in previous years. grass and dirt would look more organic ect.
The game should have an overall different visual feel when all the various surfaces are more accurately represented.

# 136 HypoLuxa13 @ 12/21/15 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshtree14
Theoretically, yes. I suppose it depends on a)how much of a difference it actually makes to the eye, and b) what/how many surfaces are changed in how they are rendered by the PBR.

# 137 JayD @ 12/21/15 10:54 AM
I'm curious if we will see the bug which puts relief pitchers in starting rotations has finally been fixed?

# 138 baseballsim @ 12/21/15 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
Like the new card additions to DD, ONLY if it is very hard to get those cards and field a stacked team. I ended up getting ranked pretty high last year and like the year before I ended up losing interest as I was just playing the same teams with legends and submarine DD players throwing 101mph then being forced to field a similar team to compete. I really do hope that this year, at least for a while after launch we'll see teams made that resemble MLB teams with actual weaknesses instead of even pinch hitters being legends. Having to pinch hit Bagwell for McGriff is not a weakness.

I also hope Sony and/or San Diego can fix the online modes in terms of security, reporting cheating, etc. Although I was getting bored with DD what ultimately made my quit the mode was a hack/exploit used by a user on several high ranked players that caused me to go from around 1950/60 to 1900. That along with getting a DOS attack from a salty player, yes there are people who will sick a DOS attack on you if they are losing. I've played a lot of online games, but for some reason The Show attracts some salty individuals who will do anything to not have that loss of their record.
Spoiler
When the bug reports were up I remember seeing a few issues tied to this individual.

# 139 NAFBUC @ 12/21/15 12:45 PM
Lock and Load.........

MLB® The Show 16™ - Digital Deluxe (Pre-Order)

Expected Playable Date: 03/28/2016 @ 10:00 PM

# 140 MrOldboy @ 12/21/15 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballsim
When the bug reports were up I remember seeing a few issues tied to this individual.
I actually got in contact with a dev via theshownation, so they are aware. They targeted high ranked players so it wasn't just some random thing like hacking an iOS game's leaderboard. I was hit four times minutes apart as if they sent a "game finished" with them winning every two minutes to the server or something. You'd think that the game would throw out games that are finished only a minute or two apart anyways. I wasn't even online during that time as well. Whatever they did it shouldn't have been allowed to happen. The dev also offered to add back the ratings points I lost, they've always been helpful, but at that point I was pretty done with the mode.

Regarding the DOS attack I was told that Sony has to handle that stuff and not the dev, which was implied that it was a recent change this year.

Either way it is pretty alarming that the game provides enough data from the opponent's connection to allow a DOS attack. I've never been the victim of a DOS attack via a multiplayer game, but maybe it's typical in the industry to expose info such as a user's IP address when it is a P2P type of connection. I would hope San Diego can add some form of security or encryption so that info isn't exposed so easily. I'm not going to play through a VPN or anything so it is a bit scary that every time you connect to a match you are at risk.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.