Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

2K has announced competitive gaming is coming to NBA 2K16 with NBA 2K16 Road to the Finals, a new competition starting February 15, merging simulation basketball with eSports, culminating over the course of the NBA Finals in June. Form your own NBA 2K Pro-Am team and compete in a series of in-game events to qualify, with a chance to win $250,000.

Read the full press release below.

2K today announced that competitive gaming is officially coming to NBA 2K16 with NBA 2K16 Road to the Finals, an exciting new competition that merges simulation basketball with eSports and culminates over the course of the NBA Finals in June. Players on PlayStation 4 computer entertainment system and Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, can form their own NBA 2K Pro-Am teams and compete in a series of in-game events to qualify for the tournament to win $250,000.

“As the world of competitive gaming continues to evolve, NBA 2K is a natural fit to join the growing landscape,” said Alfie Brody, VP of Marketing for NBA 2K. “Our series has long inspired rivalry among gamers, and we’re looking forward to encouraging our fans to enjoy the thrill of competition on a larger scale.”

Road to the Finals tips off on February 15 in North America with a series of unique, NBA 2K16 in-game events scheduled through May 8. Teams can participate in any of the 16 qualifying events where they will need to win at least four games in order to qualify. Those four games will be scored based on the team’s performance and then ranked on the event leaderboard. The top score of each qualifying event day will be deemed the winner and will move on to the tournament.

On May 21, the 16 winners on both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will go head-to-head in a single elimination tournament. The console winners will then face off for the $250,000 championship in June while the NBA Finals are taking place.

“The NBA 2K development team has aspired to join the exciting world of eSports for years,” said Greg Thomas, president of Visual Concepts. “Road to the Finals is our first step, and we can’t wait to add even more excitement and competitive action to our franchise.”

Last fall’s release of NBA 2K16 set a franchise record, selling-in over four million units worldwide within the first week of release. This year’s iteration also has achieved several incredible year-over-year milestones since launch, including doubling sales through digital download and nearly tripling the number of games played online.

NBA 2K16 Road to the Finals is open to legal residents of 50 U.S., D.C. & Canada (excluding AZ, CT, MD, ND & Quebec), 13+. Must be played on Xbox One or PS4. Void where prohibited. GameDays begin on 2/15/16 and end on 5/8/16. Subject to the Official Rules located at http://2kgam.es/NBA2K16RTTFRules.

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 E The Rhymer @ 02/01/16 08:19 AM
I wish I knew how to bold stuff

# 2 Jrocc23 @ 02/01/16 08:50 AM
They should have waited until they did this right. Most of the teams will be in there because they boosted. Doing this for 4 games:

# 3 Kingofthecouch @ 02/01/16 09:55 AM
Should have made it simple. You win you're in. Leave it up to 2K to come up with silly ideas/rules. This tournament is ruined unless they remove the cheaters.

# 4 Hustle Westbrook @ 02/01/16 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
an exciting new competition that merges simulation basketball with eSports
"Simulation basketball"

Lmao...

# 5 Rockie_Fresh88 @ 02/01/16 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocc23
They should have waited until they did this right. Most of the teams will be in there because they boosted. Doing this for 4 games:

But 2k is ready for e-sports they said

# 6 McG @ 02/01/16 12:55 PM
Well here comes the two PG, three C line-ups. I'd be shocked if you don't see two quick 5'10"-6'1" PGs and three 7'2" Cs. Good luck to the teams out there competing and I hope that the cheese is at minimum.

With that said, this hardly seems like authentic representation of the game to me, but hey it's video games, what can you really expect? Hopefully, realism will be on the agenda for MyPlayer in 2K17. This game has so much potential to be a realistic, one of a kind sports sim. Unfortunately, MyPlayer/Pro-Am/My-Park misses misses the mark by quite a bit. I hope that the dream of being a real E-Sports game forces their hand.

# 7 SpeedyClaxton @ 02/01/16 01:46 PM
They should wait for competitive tournaments with cash prizes until they make game really simulation. This is not simulation basketball because it requires zero skill to win. I don't know who consider this game in this current state as a simulation, probably someone who just looks at graphics and says 'woow they even made a sweat' i think only these guys will say for this game it's a simulation but for me knowing how basketball works on both ends, this is 40 % simulation. I don't want to participate in this even if have legitimate chance winning it, i don't think this game requires real skill for someone to win.

# 8 MontanaMan @ 02/01/16 01:50 PM
2K loves enabling cheesers and giving them a platform.

# 9 ChaseB @ 02/01/16 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Snuka
Look at all the ****bag players complaining. You can tell who sucks just by reading the comments

# 10 sschevyridah @ 02/01/16 03:24 PM
RTTF started earlier than stated and then if you lost one game your team was disqualified. 2k said you could play as many games as you like but after my team lost a game after being 3-0 we were disqualified. Other users had the same issue. C'mon 2k.

# 11 kadzier @ 02/01/16 05:04 PM
Quote:

this picture is perfect. A pg who does literally nothing on the court but get assists. A center who does literally nothing but get rebounds. And a SF who does literally nothing but get the points.

It's basketball reduced to some kind of real-time MMORPG, instead of actual basketball.

# 12 Kodii Rockets @ 02/01/16 05:15 PM
Quote:

Is that your crew Jrocc? Can you please explain how that happened? Was anyone streaming?

I'd love to see some video of that. That looks absolutely crazy.

# 13 Jrocc23 @ 02/01/16 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodii Rockets
Is that your crew Jrocc? Can you please explain how that happened? Was anyone streaming?

Noooo. This isn't me. I didn't even participate because I knew this "boosting" would be going on and I wouldn't have a chance unless my team was doing something similar.

# 14 jyoung @ 02/01/16 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodii Rockets

I saw that same boxscore picture on twitter. Somebody posted it in response to one of the official 2K's accounts tweets about Road to the Finals.

It definitely looks suspicious, but you can't really prove anything without seeing live gameplay or looking at the play-by-play breakdown from the post-game menus.

I have no doubt though that people are trying to get the matchmaking to find a game with one their friends so they can collect an easy win. It's possible if the two team captains are geographically close and hit the "search for match" prompt at the same time.

# 15 derlaid @ 02/01/16 06:02 PM
i love the implication of this being that they know they've lost control of their game on the PC. I'd love to see the top PC Pro-AM team up against the xbox/ps4 teams, because it'd be a slaughter thanks to the ever present CE

# 16 jfsolo @ 02/01/16 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19LloydBanks82
The top ps4 n xbox pro am teams would kill the PC teams simply because of dribble moves. If u good with it, a PC player has no chance on his keyboard
Are PC players even using the keyboard? I would imagine that they are all using a controller.

# 17 E The Rhymer @ 02/01/16 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle Westbrook
"Simulation basketball"

Lmao...

Lol yeah I wanted to bolden that word but I didn't know how

Sent from my iPhone with minimal cares for grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

# 18 Maligx @ 02/01/16 09:00 PM
Quote:
The top ps4 n xbox pro am teams would kill the PC teams simply because of dribble moves. If u good with it, a PC player has no chance on his keyboard
lol, pc isnt some backward *** platform, they can use ps4 and xbox controllers too.

# 19 kadzier @ 02/01/16 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iam31yearsold
Allowing teams to have all white courts with no lines and calling yourself 'eSports' and 'simulation' is laughable.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
yeah at the very least they should have standardized things like this. Just poor planning.

# 20 Kodii Rockets @ 02/02/16 09:45 AM
Quote:

I think you've got the absolute wrong idea about PC gaming friend...

They can use any controller they want, Xbox style, PS4, last gen, whatever they choose.

I'd even venture to say that 0% of PC players are trying to play ball using a keyboard. Lol

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.