Home
MLB The Show 16 News Post

The MLB The Show 16 Twitch stream has begun, as the team talks about Diamond Dynasty. Post your thoughts!

UPDATE: For those of you that missed the stream, you can watch the archive here.

Game: MLB The Show 16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 23 - View All
MLB The Show 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 dalger21 @ 02/19/16 08:15 AM
It sounds like there are some measure of detailed stats that will be in which is best thing about '16 imo. Hopefully these "new" stats are for RttS as well.

# 42 andrewochs615 @ 02/19/16 08:37 AM
That stat tracking better be in franchise mode or its a wash.

# 43 Hayman19 @ 02/19/16 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger21
It sounds like there are some measure of detailed stats that will be in which is best thing about '16 imo. Hopefully these "new" stats are for RttS as well.
Oh my god, if these stats are NOT in RttS AND Franchise, this will be the biggest honeydick in the history of MLB The Show(Maybe not, but to me it will be).

I don't know if I would be able to forgive them.

Give me stats...MOAR stats!!

# 44 LeftyShortstop @ 02/19/16 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman19
Oh my god, if these stats are NOT in RttS AND Franchise, this will be the biggest honeydick in the history of MLB The Show(Maybe not, but to me it will be).

It has to show up in franchise but there may not be a need to use it in RTTS. It would be a great addition though.

# 45 dran1984 @ 02/19/16 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman19

Well, we know it's obviously in Franchise but I wouldn't be surprised if its not in DD. In Franchise it makes sense because you build your roster, lineups, rotations, etc. In RttS it doesn't make as much sense because you only control the development of your player. People may want to see more stats on their individual player though, so its possible.

I was hoping inside edge would be in franchise since it was in DD, turns out it wont be. So you never know.

# 46 tessl @ 02/19/16 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
I am very curious about how their WAR calculation will play out. I am assuming that their stats might be coming from Inside Edge, but as far as I know they don't put out any public WAR stats. Looking at it it does seem to lean a bit more offensively than Fangraphs and more towards BR when you look at other offensive/DH type players similar to Ortiz. It also looks a bit odd that it is to two decimal places, but that may just be to differentiate it from fWAR and bWAR.

What matters though is how they calculate this with user generated stats. i.e. Simmed franchise, RTTS, etc. I'm assuming that the calculation they are using must only use the stats (or ratings) that the game can track other wise it would be useless to have career WAR.

edit: Just watched the stream. Definitely not happy if classic stadiums will be available in ranked DD games. I was surprised when that came up since they seemed to spend a lot of time talking about making sure people can't exploit the missions and rewards systems, but with 279 and 258 ft down the lines I wonder which stadium people will use to boost offensive missions/stats. But most of all I'm sure many people here remember on PS3 how often you had to play at Polo Grounds. It just gets boring to play there so often. Hopefully the classic stadiums will be rare and expensive to buy so people won't want to spend stubs on them and Polo will come up less often. I love that they are in the game, but I don't like them for ranked online modes.
I'm not a fan of WAR but as long as it is just a stat and not used in any way as an attribute that's fine. It seems like calculating it would require a lot of code.

# 47 jm2054 @ 02/19/16 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterhome
Is there anything to get out of that stream for somebody who thinks modes like DD is solely for kids?

Sent from my GEM-702L using Tapatalk
Why do you think it's for kids? I could see if you just said I don't like the mode but these modes DD mut myteam are the most popular modes and adults spend hundreds even thousands of dollars on them so it's not just for kids.
I don't know if you play madden or 2k but if you don't like DD or think it won't continue to grow and get likely the most attention of the modes your going be very upset. These modes are straight up cash cows for these developers and even though you don't like it you should be glad it's there because the more money they make off DD the more gets invested back to the game overall.

There's no issue if you don't like it but saying it's just for kids is silly that's the equivalent of me saying Francise is only for people over 30 it makes absolutely zero sense.

# 48 tnixen @ 02/19/16 11:43 AM
I like that they added Persistent bullpen fatigue!

# 49 fezchezpez @ 02/19/16 12:10 PM
Ok, I have been waiting for a Chipper Jones legend for a while now.

They mentioned him in the stream, in that he would NOT be a flashback card which makes sense, but didn't mention either way if he might be a legend. He seems like such an obvious candidate since a lot of people grew up watching him are a large demographic of players.

You think he might be in guys, or does the denial of a flashback mean he is most likely out.

# 50 Factzzz @ 02/19/16 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2054
Why do you think it's for kids? I could see if you just said I don't like the mode but these modes DD mut myteam are the most popular modes and adults spend hundreds even thousands of dollars on them so it's not just for kids.
I don't know if you play madden or 2k but if you don't like DD or think it won't continue to grow and get likely the most attention of the modes your going be very upset. These modes are straight up cash cows for these developers and even though you don't like it you should be glad it's there because the more money they make off DD the more gets invested back to the game overall.

There's no issue if you don't like it but saying it's just for kids is silly that's the equivalent of me saying Francise is only for people over 30 it makes absolutely zero sense.
Hopefully they use some of that money they make from this mode to get more and more brands in the game like New Balance and Adidas.

And use some of that money to expand their team so it makes it easier on all of them and they can attack more problems each year.

I assume that's what any extra money could be used for anyways.

# 51 Dolenz @ 02/19/16 12:57 PM
So a question from someone who has not spent much, if any, time in Diamond Dynasty. I realize it really is an online mode but some of the content in regards to Captains and missions looks like they could be interesting. Are there any offline components to the mode that would make it worth a look for those of us who like the idea of compiling a team but have little to no interest to playing online?

# 52 Shakedowncapo @ 02/19/16 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolenz
So a question from someone who has not spent much, if any, time in Diamond Dynasty. I realize it really is an online mode but some of the content in regards to Captains and missions looks like they could be interesting. Are there any offline components to the mode that would make it worth a look for those of us who like the idea of compiling a team but have little to no interest to playing online?
According to Nick you'll be able to accumulate tickets outside of diamond dynasty, which you'll then be able to use in the captains stores. That's one way of compiling a team without actually playing online. And like last year, you'll be able to play the computer with your DD team.

# 53 Speedy @ 02/19/16 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezchezpez
Ok, I have been waiting for a Chipper Jones legend for a while now.

They mentioned him in the stream, in that he would NOT be a flashback card which makes sense, but didn't mention either way if he might be a legend. He seems like such an obvious candidate since a lot of people grew up watching him are a large demographic of players.

You think he might be in guys, or does the denial of a flashback mean he is most likely out.
I think any HOF should be in DD whether it's their rookie card, MVP/prime year...something. To your question, I do hope Chipper ('99 version!) is available.

<= [Look at avatar] I mean...hey...SCEA knows him pretty well.

Spoiler

# 54 jm2054 @ 02/19/16 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolenz
You can play CPU teams and the new mode guantlet and battle royal may be offline we don't t know yet.

# 55 myghty @ 02/19/16 04:02 PM
Very excited for this mode with all the new changes. Was what I mainly played along with RTTS. Sad that Quick Counts won't make it in as it takes too long to finish just one game when I have limited time...

# 56 MrOldboy @ 02/19/16 06:26 PM
I'm not sure I'm following. It would still work the same as last year in terms of matchmaking right? If there is no one in your division available you'll play someone outside of it and in those cases they said it would be on all star.

Now though you are forced to play on the difficulty of the league you are in which might cause the problem I referenced. If I just made it to the next level and then get matched with someone in that higher league I have to play at a new difficulty. One loss and you are back down to previous league. It might be hard for players to move up and stay up between leagues now since every time oh have to face higher tier players who may have been playing at that difficulty for a while while you are only experienced with the lower leagues setting.

# 57 cardinalbird5 @ 02/21/16 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
I'm not sure I'm following. It would still work the same as last year in terms of matchmaking right? If there is no one in your division available you'll play someone outside of it and in those cases they said it would be on all star.

Now though you are forced to play on the difficulty of the league you are in which might cause the problem I referenced. If I just made it to the next level and then get matched with someone in that higher league I have to play at a new difficulty. One loss and you are back down to previous league. It might be hard for players to move up and stay up between leagues now since every time oh have to face higher tier players who may have been playing at that difficulty for a while while you are only experienced with the lower leagues setting.
The pitch speed barely goes up. For example, a 90 mph on fastball is really like 78 mph on rookie, 79 on Vet, 80 on AS, 81 on HOF and 82 on Legend. It won't be that big of a deal.

I see absolutely no one demoting themselves due to 1-2 mph of speed different. Cheesers will still cheese, good hitters will still hit.

Most of the WS/CS guys I have spoke with are stoked about this change. AS difficulty was not fun playing in the WS against top players and stacked teams. It took less skill to score runs with gigantic PCI's. HOF will help a bit with the PCI size.

Precision Input will help too.

I say this change will have more people happy than mad for sure. Plus there is less than 1 pct of the players in the WS and that may be the only divsion they have HOF on...so itd only affect the top 1 pct and no one is demoting themselves once they get to the WS.

Now if they add it for CS, which I think they should since it isn't easy to get to 1750, then it may have more of an impact, but still HOF.......is not like its impossible to hit on nor will the pitch speed change much.

# 58 MrOldboy @ 02/21/16 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
The pitch speed barely goes up. For example, a 90 mph on fastball is really like 78 mph on rookie, 79 on Vet, 80 on AS, 81 on HOF and 82 on Legend. It won't be that big of a deal.

I see absolutely no one demoting themselves due to 1-2 mph of speed different. Cheesers will still cheese, good hitters will still hit.

Most of the WS/CS guys I have spoke with are stoked about this change. AS difficulty was not fun playing in the WS against top players and stacked teams. It took less skill to score runs with gigantic PCI's. HOF will help a bit with the PCI size.

Precision Input will help too.

I say this change will have more people happy than mad for sure. Plus there is less than 1 pct of the players in the WS and that may be the only divsion they have HOF on...so itd only affect the top 1 pct and no one is demoting themselves once they get to the WS.

Now if they add it for CS, which I think they should since it isn't easy to get to 1750, then it may have more of an impact, but still HOF.......is not like its impossible to hit on nor will the pitch speed change much.
I'm not really talking about pitch speed. I'm talking about new players, not us veterans who play offline on the higher difficulties. If I am a new player and after 50 games finally get up to the next league, well I have to face a player who's likely been in that league for a bit and may be more experienced. Without practice I can see those players easily being overwhelmed by the higher difficulty. It's not just pitch speed that changes, PCI size, etc is different. I forsee a lot of bouncing in between leagues for inexperienced players this year. For players like us, it likely won't change much since the difficulty will be the same for both players and we have played on those difficulties before.

I want more people in the higher leagues as it gets boring facing the same people. It could also spread out the cheesers if new players reach the higher leagues. They have made a lot of changes that for veteran players may be really exciting, but could be barriers for newer players to the game, or just online modes in general. I have several friends who have played The Show for years, but only offline and never past All-Star. I play them on All-Star and they compete with me, but not on HoF or Legend even though I'm not that great either.

# 59 cardinalbird5 @ 02/21/16 07:28 PM
Newer players are highly unlikely to reach the WS/CS and if they do that means they are good enough to play on HOF. Besides the difficulty goes back to AS if there is a mismatch.

# 60 MrOldboy @ 02/21/16 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
Newer players are highly unlikely to reach the WS/CS and if they do that means they are good enough to play on HOF. Besides the difficulty goes back to AS if there is a mismatch.
You only get good over time, with practice. I know you can remember back when you were first moving up to the higher difficulties. Now imagine if you are doing well on all-star and then move up to a new league. You have one game to stay in that league or else you can get bumped back down. If they immediately get bumped down and feel it was the difficulty spike that will be off putting to some players. It's true that better players should do fine on higher difficulty, but only with practice. And you know that playing online is a different beast than offline so practicing against the AI just doesn't cut it. I don't think it'll be that big of a deal in the end honestly, but can see some people staying on the threshold bouncing between leagues.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.