Home
MLB The Show 16 News Post

Sony San Diego has just released another MLB The Show 16 video. This one features everything you want to know about Franchise mode, including player morale, free agent signings, blockbuster trade notifications, and updated budgets.

Other little improvements include new GM goals, an authentic 20-80 scale for scouting and more. More details will arrive on their Twitch stream, scheduled for Thursday, March 3 at 5:00 PM ET.

Watch the video here
to find out what Luis Martinez from the Developer team has to say about it.

Game: MLB The Show 16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 23 - View All
MLB The Show 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 Mike Lowe @ 03/02/16 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktd1976

Also, there was no new playoff roster rule. To be eligible for the post season, a player MUST be either on the MLB roster on August 31st, or on the MLB disabled list.

A player who is on the MLB roster as of that date, but is subsequently injured, is able to be replaced by any player on the 40 man roster, provided they were with the organization on or before August 31st. Any player added AFTER August 31st is ineligible for the post season, regardless of if they are on the 40 man roster.

Players on the MLB DL can be replaced as well by anyone on the 40 man roster, provided they were with the organization on or before August 31st.

This has been the rule for YEARS, and MLB The Show gets it correct.
Unfortunately the Show does not have it correct since the 2014 season.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-...-roster-090114

# 142 RandyBass @ 03/02/16 02:27 AM
Looks solid. Still needs a more robust minor leagues though to really feel authentic. I know that would require new stadiums and all, and as such is probably a long ways away, but at the very least I'd like to see:

-Playable Long season A ball
-Playable Short season A ball where you'd send your draft picks
-A non-playable instructional league to stash players (like A ball is now)
-A longer and more in depth draft
-A more in depth and more realistic player development process

# 143 redsfan4life @ 03/02/16 02:43 AM
Also, based on this it doesn't look like we're going to get any online franchise info before release..which is really disappointing.

The last ones left are Battle Royale and Conquest. Along with graphical stuff.

# 144 HozAndMoose @ 03/02/16 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfan4life
Also, based on this it doesn't look like we're going to get any online franchise info before release..which is really disappointing.

The last ones left are Battle Royale and Conquest. Along with graphical stuff.
What makes you think the Franchise stream on Thursday won't cover online? They did last year.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

# 145 dalger21 @ 03/02/16 07:14 AM
Random question: Will these career stats also be there for RttS players that brought players from MLB '14 forward?

# 146 underdog13 @ 03/02/16 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger21
Random question: Will these career stats also be there for RttS players that brought players from MLB '14 forward?
I would 99.9% assume so, there would be no excuse why not as they already have all those old stats.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

# 147 Bobhead @ 03/02/16 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy008
I know this is probably a stupid question but will the players you draft every year also have morale?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsFan16
Interested to see how let's say an OSFM player's moral is handled. Is it random? does it only effect SCEA players? Or is it customizeable outside the mode (similar to contract) Same with draft picks.
These are very good questions. It would certainly defeat the purpose of the system if non-SCEA players did not have morale at all, because that means the entire function would effectively be meaningless after a few years in franchise mode (because the majority of your players would then be draftees).

Knowing SCEA, I'd bet my life savings that isn't happening. They surely made some sort of allowance so that the system can still be enjoyed even amongst fake/created players.

So the real question is, did they
a) Make it random
b) Make it editable in the create/edit-a-player tool
c) both of the above

# 148 Unlucky 13 @ 03/02/16 08:06 AM
I really like a lot of what they've said. Like a few others, I'm not a stats guy. Unless they're going to talk about it, put it up on graphics, or otherwise involve it in the game experience, the stats just don't matter much to me.

However, I do love the changes that have been made to the free agency and trade processes, and I love the idea of morale, and am very curious to see the weight that it carries.

Plus with all of these additions for this year's edition, I can continue to hold out hope for more GM/owner mode aspects in 2017. There's always next year.

# 149 Splitter77 @ 03/02/16 08:17 AM
wow.
this is nice.
cant wait to fire up a fictional player franchise.
will be like Sammy sosa high heat 2001

# 150 Sip_16 @ 03/02/16 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_OS
Would be nice. Hopefully someone can ask tomorrow during the live twitch stream.
On Twitter Ramone, said

John Hendrickson II@J_Swift13 12h12 hours ago @Ramone_Russell Are the schedules rotating this year like they should in franchise mode? AL east vs. nl west this year..and not the next yr.

0 retweets 0 likes

Ramone Russell@Ramone_Russell

@J_Swift13 not this year, too big of a change with all the other new features to get them to rotate.

6:14 PM - 1 Mar 2016

# 151 JayD @ 03/02/16 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip_16
On Twitter Ramone, said

John Hendrickson II@J_Swift13 12h12 hours ago @Ramone_Russell Are the schedules rotating this year like they should in franchise mode? AL east vs. nl west this year..and not the next yr.

0 retweets 0 likes

@J_Swift13 not this year, too big of a change with all the other new features to get them to rotate.

Bummer. I wouldn't even be upset if they only had different interleague teams on the schedule and not the proper rotation at first.

# 152 BlueJays09 @ 03/02/16 09:16 AM
What time is the live stream tomorrow? I am quite excited to see it. It will likely determine if I buy the game or just stick with MLB 15 (I have started ST to be safe). I am hoping we get non-roster invites for ST and more details on the player morale situation.

# 153 Sip_16 @ 03/02/16 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJays09
What time is the live stream tomorrow? I am quite excited to see it. It will likely determine if I buy the game or just stick with MLB 15 (I have started ST to be safe). I am hoping we get non-roster invites for ST and more details on the player morale situation.
2 PM PST, 5 EST

# 154 Ranger Fan @ 03/02/16 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_OS
Would be nice. Hopefully someone can ask tomorrow during the live twitch stream.
Roatating Interleague games would be a plus. Never could really understand why this wasnt possible. There are the same number of teams in each division so just swith up. There isnt much wrong with Franchise other than this or the fact we were so limited in the number of free agents teams could sign due tho the fact a pop up would surface saying team is over budget. We all know this is rediculous. There isnt a salary cap in baseball I ran into a sitaution last year with Texas where in year 2 I was 10 million over the cap. I couldnt sign any free agents, couldnt sign my own rookies, and had just 54 on the Roster. I ended up selling off every so called high priced free agent just so I could field a team. This situation would never happen in real baseball. And before you ask no I didnt have big names on team, just the regular guys on the roster. Budget were a serios issue last year in my opinion

# 155 HustlinOwl @ 03/02/16 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip_16
On Twitter Ramone, said

0 retweets 0 likes

Really, we are in what year 8-9 of this games cycle and this is still not being done smh

# 156 Cavicchi @ 03/02/16 09:55 AM
Is Morale in Season mode and can Morale be turned off?

# 157 Lovesports @ 03/02/16 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondsfan
I can't help but be frustrated after that video, because afterall, franchise has changed in small increments, and every year it seems like "next year will be the year for franchise mode improvements". This stuff IS improvement, don't get me wrong. But its hardly anything that is going to be a game changer, at least for me. I could care less what David Ortiz's OPS in 1998 was. I just don't care. I know that hardcore stat folks have been clamoring for this level of detail, and I am thrilled for them that they were listened to and they go it. But it does little to impact the feel of a Franchise mode that is going stale, at least for me. Hopefully scouting and training are better, GM mode goals are better than "win the WS in the next two years or your fired", and the morale system is something that actually impacts the game (storylines mentioned in the radio show based on upset players?) rather than something like some tiny drop in rating by -1 or +1 based on the morale of the player.

This is the third game on PS4. We're almost 1/2 way through the consoles life cycle before the next consoles launch. What we have right now is an improved PS3 experience when it comes to Franchise mode. The gameplay and graphics have taken a HUGE leap when it comes to the PS4, but Franchise mode just seems to be an afterthought. I would love to see a true next generation experience, akin to OOTP but where you can play the games. I know we're not going to get that in one year, I'm realistic. But I guess I'm just hoping of big changes to Franchise every year only to see small ones that don't really resonate much with me.

I totally agree with you though, about rushing to judgement before all the details are released. I'll reserve judgement until Thursday. I'm assuming there's more, because, like you said, how will they fill an hour long stream just by showing stats and the new FA and morale mechanic. There's gotta be more!
This is where most of us will disagree. I actually do care what he hit in 1998, and most baseball fans are very stat driven. Stat tracking has been one of the most requested features for the past 2-3 years, and it's finally in so I'm happy about that. I'm also happy about the morale system. My only complaint is the award/accolade tracking system. I have no idea who won the CY young in 2005 without having to google it, that should not be. I should be able to open a player card and see that he won the gold glove in 2008 and rookie of the year in 2005 etc. other than that, changes are very pleasing

# 158 jb12780 @ 03/02/16 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
Really, we are in what year 8-9 of this games cycle and this is still not being done smh
Probably not as easy as you think it is.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

# 159 Benz87 @ 03/02/16 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxbombers21325
I really like that. Last year you could throw money at any player you wanted and they were yours.
I actually would encounter the opposite problem. I would throw all the money available in my budget at a player, leading to the interest bar being maxed, only for them sign with a different time for significantly less money. This would happen because the interest for this other team was also maxed, despite their offer not being as much as mine. Realistically the player would have most likely took the huge contract I was offering, but previously the CPU would simply randomly select from any contract that garnered 100% interest and sign with them. Thankfully, it was stated in the video this was tuned so the CPU will weight contracts based on amount and the additional traits added this year.

# 160 tessl @ 03/02/16 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondsfan
I can't help but be frustrated after that video, because afterall, franchise has changed in small increments, and every year it seems like "next year will be the year for franchise mode improvements". This stuff IS improvement, don't get me wrong. But its hardly anything that is going to be a game changer, at least for me. I could care less what David Ortiz's OPS in 1998 was. I just don't care. I know that hardcore stat folks have been clamoring for this level of detail, and I am thrilled for them that they were listened to and they go it. But it does little to impact the feel of a Franchise mode that is going stale, at least for me. Hopefully scouting and training are better, GM mode goals are better than "win the WS in the next two years or your fired", and the morale system is something that actually impacts the game (storylines mentioned in the radio show based on upset players?) rather than something like some tiny drop in rating by -1 or +1 based on the morale of the player.

This is the third game on PS4. We're almost 1/2 way through the consoles life cycle before the next consoles launch. What we have right now is an improved PS3 experience when it comes to Franchise mode. The gameplay and graphics have taken a HUGE leap when it comes to the PS4, but Franchise mode just seems to be an afterthought. I would love to see a true next generation experience, akin to OOTP but where you can play the games. I know we're not going to get that in one year, I'm realistic. But I guess I'm just hoping of big changes to Franchise every year only to see small ones that don't really resonate much with me.

I totally agree with you though, about rushing to judgement before all the details are released. I'll reserve judgement until Thursday. I'm assuming there's more, because, like you said, how will they fill an hour long stream just by showing stats and the new FA and morale mechanic. There's gotta be more!
I'd like to see at least the ability to transport a created team from diamond dynasty into franchise but it isn't a game breaker. The problem with making massive changes is things could go massively wrong, especially in a franchise.

I suspect manager/coach ratings and attributes have changed because on the player cards I see a rating for the coaches. Player morale is very interesting. Team budgets have changed. Free agent signing has changed. They mentioned in the mistakenly leaked franchise video the amateur draft has changed. Scouting has changed with additional information provided for the amateur players. In the same video they mentioned progression has changed. Career stat tracking has changed.

That is a very nice package of changes, at least for me. I'd still like to be able to put my team on the field with my created logo and name but to say they didn't take a big swing at franchise isn't accurate.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.