Home
MLB The Show 16 News Post

MLB The Show 16 arrives for everyone today, so we have started a new topic so everyone can join in with their impressions. Play a few games and post your impressions here!

Game: MLB The Show 16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 23 - View All
MLB The Show 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 Sparty10 @ 03/30/16 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
Playing my first game and I'm really disappointed with the new baserunning indicator. The thing is a monstrosity and an eyesore for me.

I love it. I find it very very helpful as someone who has struggled with controlling base runners in the past.

# 162 countryboy @ 03/30/16 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denzel Washington
doesnt work
its actually R3 to see pitch sequence info

# 163 Armor and Sword @ 03/30/16 08:16 AM
Fresh cut grass, the sounds of wood cracking balls out of outdoor cathedrals, the smell of leather, the intense faces hanging on every pitch in a 1-0 game. Dreams are born in spring and go to die in the dog days of August. MLB The Show 16 brings us closer to the feeling of chasing a pennant, or building a future power house more than ever before.

The game has so many visual and functional improvements this year. Hitting and pitching have a more organic feel with precision input. Fielding looks far more organic and life like this season with dozens upon dozens of new animations. Player ratings in terms of defense, reaction, paths to the ball and base running speed matter more than ever before. The ever continuing evolution of Ball Physics 5.0 is so evident in hit variety, ball spins and how the ball comes off the bat. Even the way it rolls is more life like than ever before. It's the little things that seem to improve with each iteration of this marvelous console sports game. It is the sumo all the parts I always come to appreciate each and every year with MLB The Show.

We also have several enhancements in regards to sounds of the game and the return of SOTS (Sounds Of The Show) for those that want to customize the game to have the ultimate ball park atmosphere. I understand it is buggy right right now and I am sure the team is aware as the bug thread at The Show Nation is the best place to make them aware of bugs for a future patch.

The ball off the bat sounds this year are the most realistic and life like ever in this series history. Solid contact sounds majestic, bad contact sounds like the duds they are. The commentary has also gotten subtle but important enhancements.

HR calls are far more exciting, the timing of the color and conversations is more dynamic than it ever has been. A perfect of example of this subtleness of the commentary on 16 came in a game I played as the Reds (home vs the Pirates) and Homer Bailey (starting pitcher for the Reds) was at the plate and had an 8 pitch AB. He fought off several 2 strike pitches and made some solid contact to move a base runner on a fielders choice. In his next AB Mike Karros talked about his last AB and how good it was!!! That was impressive and it was noticed. It is those little things that occur over the course of your season that you too will notice and smile about.

The lighting is jaw dropping, the colors pop off my screen and the game has gone to another level on it's third iteration on the PS4.

These are my initial impressions on the positive side.

Let's talk about release day negatives.

1) I am not crazy about the design decision to not show a players season stats in every AB. After their first AB it will only show how they did in that particular game (eg- 1-3 single run scored) but no BA HR's RBI anymore. Not a good design decision IMO. Baseball is about seeing my guys stats....often.

2) Year to Year saves - The morale bug (player roles only star or starter for pitchers for every player), the Netherlands regional bug (for CAP's) career stats. Y2Y is a huge feature for me personally and I am sure for many others. I am carrying over dozens of amazing season mode files with classic rosters and my big intense 90 man 1987 Franchise in year 2 as well as my Year 2 Yankees franchise from 14. I know they are on this, and a patch is forth coming so I don't have to wait till season end for it to correct itself. I understand it is only one factor in the overall, but I expect it to work like everyone else. But I get a feature set change like morale (which I love BTW) can cause some issues under the hood.
It will be patched so take a deep breath.

3) Some graphical bugs - When I check swing (using the zoom offset batting camera) and it is a strike I see a sudden cut or choppy frame rate issue...an obvious bug and I will report it. It is pretty bad and happened often enough to notice right away. - Please patch it.

4) Presentation bugs - Polanco hit his 1st HR of the season and they said it was his first career HR...huh? He hit 9 last year. I think this has to do with career stats being bugged. Patch can fix this as well. The stat OSD for a base runner still shows 5 CS even though it is not true.....that was in last years game too. Please patch that.

That's it so far.

Gameplay - 9.5 - best yet
Visuals - 9 - best yet
Modes - 10 - so much to keep you busy and discover
Audio - 9.5 - amazing this season
Stability - 8.5 (but a patch will improve this as always)
Servers - incomplete (they are jammed and give it some time and maintenance to sort out)

Overall 9/10

# 164 Simaofan-20 @ 03/30/16 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesFan13
I have had the game since Friday and haven't noticed any frame rate issues. Game has played smooth as silk.

Seems to me that the ones who like to complain are just looking for things to complain about at this point.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
That isn't fair at all. You can't just let a company off the hook if there's issues because you haven't encountered them or even noticed. The framerate is lower when batting , you can't just brush it off . It's not horrible by any means but it is noticeable

# 165 HypoLuxa13 @ 03/30/16 08:25 AM
Absolutely loving it. Loving it. I've played 3 exhibition games to start getting my dynamic difficulty zeroed in, started a RttS, and played about 15 games of Conquest mode.

- Precision input makes hitting w/zone more rewarding, but not necessarily easier. When you pop up or ground out, now you know exactly why. You get rewarded for accurate PCI positioning, and get penalized more for innacurate PCI positioning. Exactly like they said it would be in the Twitch Stream. And precision input finally makes Analog pitching more difficult. Normally I'd be on All Star or Hall of Fame for pitching w/dynamic difficulty, I've only made it to Veteran so far. I actually have to try with Analog pitching now.

- I've already seen a ton of new animations, and they make the game so much more smooth and realistic. Corner infielders now snagging balls that would have went past them in last year's game. Outfielders transitioning to throw animations much more quickly, and so far, only ONE (1) time has the pitcher been hit by a ball up the middle!

- Stadiums are gorgeous, especially at sunset and night. I played a 4:00 game at Miller Park with the roof closed, and I could have sworn at times it was a live game on TV. Also, lighting improvements combined with new rain animation is pretty nice looking.

- Sound is a little messed up, still trying to figure that out. Commentary sounds like it is playing through a tin can, and music at menus is too quiet. I've been messing with the settings and haven't been able to get around this. But I'm so glad SotS is back, I loaded 100 or so of my own songs into the jukebox. Now to dig out my old PC microphone and record chants, jeers and yells and load them into the game before I start a franchise.

- I'm noticing the improved commentary. Matt has shown more emotion on several occasions. Overall, commentary is somewhat tighter. Kirby had indicated this was mostly the ground work for commentary improvements to come, so I'm looking forward what they do in future MLB The Show games.

Gameplay - 9.5/10 - a couple weird things have happened, expect they will be patched
Visuals - 9/10 - but now players are noticeably a step behind the gorgeous environments
Audio - 8/10 - SotS is great, see previous comments about commentary and menu music
Fun Factor - 10/10 - So much to do, so little time...
Overall 9/10

# 166 skipriffe @ 03/30/16 09:02 AM
I have always played with auto baserunning. One of my first impressions is that it is not working properly. Runners will not advance. Set to auto in settings. Unsure if there's something else that I need to do in this new 16 version. Anyone else having this issue?

# 167 fatleg3 @ 03/30/16 09:11 AM
Controlling your player on defense feels alot better this year. They feel like they actually have weight. Its like we are running and taking steps instead of moving our stick in a direction and the object on screen moving that way, if that makes any sense. ...

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

# 168 Buckeye2422 @ 03/30/16 09:15 AM
My impressions so far (only played the initial game while installing and a few in its at Progressive Field and Miller Park:

-the game looks even better than last year with lots of new animations. Transitions are smooth and look great.

-something just feels different about the pitching, but in a good way. When I pitched in the Royals installation game I felt like there was more control with the pitches, felt like I was unhittable even though I gave up a few hits and a solo homer.

-I dove for a ball in the outfield and dove a little too far, the ball bounced off my back and then hit the ground for a double. Animation looked amazing on replay.

-hit a ball that hit the very top of the wall, almost the actual top of the wall before it bounced back into play.

-they finally added the sound of the drum to Progressive Field between pitches. I'm real life you can hear the drum anywhere in the stadium and on the tv and radio. Only downside is the have it backwards. In the game it looks like it only plays the drum when you are pitching as the Indians but in real life he primarily bangs the drum when the Indians are batting with runners in scoring position and after getting a big hit. The only time he plays it when they are pitching is when they get out of a jam or in the top of the ninth when they are winning. Maybe they can fix this with a patch.

-Miller Park looked good with the roof closed but why is the outfield portion still open? If it's just raining but still warm they will lose the roof but keep the outfield section open in real life, but if it's cold they will close both. I played with the roof closed and hose October for time of year and the outfield was still open, in real life it would have been closed.

-not sure if it's new to this year or if it was in last year's game but I love the presentation camera angle for defense when I'm batting, looks very similar to the tv angle.

# 169 LastActionHero @ 03/30/16 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
[
The lighting is jaw dropping, the colors pop off my screen and the game has gone to another level on it's third iteration on the PS4.

Everyone is raving about the lighting as best yet but I think the fields look more bland where in '15 they finally "popped" with colour. I agree night games really shine but day games, to me at least, look like a step back.

MLB 15 finally some lush green grass.

MLB 16 bland again.

Is it just me or was 15 too much and is 16 more to real life?

Maybe I should hang with Blzer [emoji4]

# 170 Blazzen @ 03/30/16 09:21 AM
The dynamic input is really great this year. That's the biggest thing I've noticed is how realistic my inputs are when using zone hitting.

# 171 stretch150 @ 03/30/16 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipriffe
I have always played with auto baserunning. One of my first impressions is that it is not working properly. Runners will not advance. Set to auto in settings. Unsure if there's something else that I need to do in this new 16 version. Anyone else having this issue?

I've noticed if it's set to auto base running with Classic base running controls the bug occurs. If you set to auto base running and keep the control base running to default, it seems to keep the auto base running in tack. Don't hold me to this because I've only played 2 or 3 games.

# 172 scottborasjr @ 03/30/16 09:29 AM
I haven't played a lot yet but the base runners seem to slow to a crawl when rounding every base. I realize many do have to slow down to make a 90 degree turn but it's ridiculous. Maybe I have my settings wrong as others have suggested?

# 173 RogueHominid @ 03/30/16 09:40 AM
My goodness, the lighting in this game is amazing. The parks look so good, too. I am blown away by the visuals. I about crapped my pants when I played my first game at Dodger Stadium and they cut to the shot of the beach in the 3rd. The shot of Pike Place in my next game at SEA was also amazing. It's a small touch, but it adds so much immersion to be reminded about what's distinctive about where your team happens to be playing a given game.

# 174 eremiomania @ 03/30/16 10:09 AM
I'm coming over from 14. Game is amazing. Progressive Field looks great. Glad they added in the renovations from last season.

Glad I can finally turn off pitch display when at bat. Wish "view pitches R2' didn't still pop up before every pitch after turning off guess pitch. I like as little on screen as possible.

I like how it automatically increases difficulty based on performance.

One thing that's bugged me for years in this game, and I notice it a lot at progressive field, is the outfield railings in right center look like they're flickering when the camera is moving. Is this a frame rate issue? Do other people notice this? I see it in other parks too in different areas. It's very distracting.

# 175 dalger21 @ 03/30/16 10:20 AM
The ability to play an entire series before having to go back to the menu in RttS is one of my favorite new features. I played two weeks worth of games in about 30 mins.

# 176 Grinder12000 @ 03/30/16 10:22 AM
Sadly my biggest complaints are the ones they can't fix this year and being in the IT industry for 30 years I know it's a common problem. Programmers do not understand how to interact with the user interface.

They are TRULY GREAT at ball park dynamics - seriously outstanding but the tiny little circles for energy when making line-ups and pitching decisions and the round graphics for attributes look pretty but in reality but are totally useless.

The new statistics screens are pretty much a joke and I wonder if anybody actually looked at those screens and the tiny fonts - again, having someone OUTSIDE of their inner circle would have seen all the mistakes and weird order and useless stats taking up room. it's like a dummies down version of last year.

HOWEVER - somethings are GREAT during the game. Seeing what the batters have done in the last 10 games is fantastic. HR distance on every HR is SUPER. I have no frame rate problems and it looks outstanding.

To me it was like two teams worked on this Show. The good team on the GAME and the bad team on the GUI who did not consult with people that actually played the game.

Looking forward to The Show 17 as this one only got it half right.

# 177 Flaxseed Oil @ 03/30/16 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero
Everyone is raving about the lighting as best yet but I think the fields look more bland where in '15 they finally "popped" with colour. I agree night games really shine but day games, to me at least, look like a step back.

MLB 15 finally some lush green grass.

MLB 16 bland again.

Is it just me or was 15 too much and is 16 more to real life?

Maybe I should hang with Blzer [emoji4]

I think it has to do with the time of year you play. Does the grass get greener as it gets closer to summer? I know that's how the ivy works.

# 178 underdog13 @ 03/30/16 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nygalpal
My batting order and pitchers order doesn’t stay the way I want it. I have things set the way I want it, and it changes on me. Even puts players I have in the minors into the MLB lineup. Playing in season mode. Anyone else having this people?
If you go into mode specific settings in season mode. You will see you have lineups set to auto. Change it to manual.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

# 179 ksmit216 @ 03/30/16 10:33 AM
This may already be in here, but has anyone figured out how to steal 2nd with runners on the corners? Last year it was the left joystick and L2 and that doesnt seem to work this year.

# 180 underdog13 @ 03/30/16 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
[size="2"]Let's talk about release day negatives.

1) I am not crazy about the design decision to not show a players season stats in every AB. After their first AB it will only show how they did in that particular game (eg- 1-3 single run scored) but no BA HR's RBI anymore. Not a good design decision IMO. Baseball is about seeing my guys stats....often.
I was playing rtts and noticed one of the broadcast packages showed my current season stats on the bottom in my 2nd,3rd abs. I dont remember if it did it all the time and wish they hadn't removed the way it was last year, but I think it will show up occasionally for what its worth.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.