Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

Damarious Randall, cornerback for the Green Bay Packers, posted this Madden NFL 17 screenshot, (which has recently been deleted) showing off some of the new presentation in the game this year.

It's obviously early in the cycle, so a lot of details won't be shown off. Either way, it's Madden NFL 17 news and we are going to post it.

It was around this time last year the Madden hype train started, as they gave the release date with plenty of details on the game released in May.

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 61 Smallville102001 @ 04/23/16 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauler97
The poses look ridiculous no doubt but the name graphics look great and remind me a lot of NFL Head Coach. Could this be a hint as to the direction of CFM for Madden 17?

I agree about the poses but the look its self being on the players like that and with the names they way they are look great. Madden looks good but NBA 2k and NHL look by far the best out of the different sports games this gen. Madden 16 was the first good madden in like 10 years though. So I am hopeful that they can make 17 even better and I haven't felt this hopeful in a long time. I just hope they can improve the line play like they did last year with WR DB interactions. If they do that the game could go from good to great.

# 62 huskyfan1993 @ 04/23/16 04:08 PM
Let's be real here guys we say the same thing every year about how "it's an early build" or "they're not finished with the game" but when the official game is released it looks the exact same as the pre alpha which is pathetic. I don't think EA will ever listen to the fans and they're just gonna give little bits and pieces every year and call it a new game . It's unfair but unfortunately this is the only sim football game we have to play so we just deal with it . I'm all for New equipment, it would be nice and all but I just want some simulation AI, broadcasts, and gameplay point blank period

# 63 jvalverde88 @ 04/23/16 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allball76
Looks like nfl streets or NBA 2k the park ! Not like they would pose like that in the real NFL arcade type look !
You got all of that from a WIP screenshot? Really?

# 64 roadman @ 04/23/16 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
The reason most of us don't believe the "it's an early build that doesn't have the new equipment in it" line is because the same people said the same thing last year. And the year before. And the year before. And when EA releases their official screenshots they also don't have updated equipment. And everyone says "they're just waiting till later to reveal it" and then the game releases with the same 2001 nikes and gloves that look pathetic.

It's not trolling to ask for the developers to make a top quality project that pays attention to the details. As consumers we have a responsibility to demand greatness from products we buy. There's no need for you to attack people who point out flaws in the game.
There are 6 million buyers around that world the purchase Madden on a yearly basis. Each one of those 6 million buyers have different priorities than the other 6 million buyers.

And, Madden's priorities are not always aligned with the all 6 million buyers.

It's all about priorities, resources and time on Madden's end.

It's not time to hit the panic button, yet until everything is revealed and revealed by EA. I'm all for options, options that I don't even care about, so the game can be as realistic as possible and still cater to everyone.

I am sure there will some fraction of EA's splintered audience will be disappointed in some way shape or form this year.

# 65 Allball76 @ 04/23/16 04:52 PM
just how they posed is all im referring too . Not gameplay , 100% just the look. I like madden but not this picture .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalverde88
You got all of that from a WIP screenshot? Really?

# 66 shaun007miller @ 04/23/16 06:19 PM
I've already decided, if there's no new equipment or focused attention to player models (draft class linemen looking like kickers with Legion of Doom shoulder pads) I'm afraid it's a no buy for me. I've got to take a stand with my wallet at somepoint.

# 67 jpdavis82 @ 04/23/16 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun007miller
I've already decided, if there's no new equipment or focused attention to player models (draft class linemen looking like kickers with Legion of Doom shoulder pads) I'm afraid it's a no buy for me. I've got to take a stand with my wallet at somepoint.
The developers are well aware of the desire for new equipment to be in the game, Clint mentioned at E3 last year how they wanted to get to it but weren't able to. IF there is new equipment for Madden 17, they would NOT leak it in a screenshot from a dev kit. This is the same team that hid the Infinity Engine in Madden 13 even after several gameplay videos were shown even at E3 during the microsoft press conference, if they can hide physics, they can hide equipment. I'm not saying that new equipment will be there but if it is, this is not how they would let us know.

# 68 Junior Moe @ 04/23/16 07:03 PM
Ehh, there's not much to take from this shot. It's not bad, I think Maddens player models look great for the most part. Its how they animate that bothers me. On a presenation note I'm not really feeling the look. I just want Madden to follow the other EA Sports games (which is possible, we dont kniw yet) and model their presenation package off a real network. This is something they actually do well. NHL/NBA Live (March Madness) all did a wonderful job here. I can not understand for the life of me why this hasn't happened yet with EA flagship franchise and the most popular sport in North America.

# 69 roadman @ 04/23/16 07:59 PM
Response by Clint, which, echoes the responses from some of the posters in here:

Clint Oldenburg
‏@ClintOldenburg
@SanderBaarsma not worried about any comments on that. A bit early yet - not a game does a screenshot make.

# 70 PhillyPhanatic14 @ 04/23/16 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Response by Clint, which, echoes the responses from some of the posters in here:

Clint Oldenburg
‏@ClintOldenburg
@SanderBaarsma not worried about any comments on that. A bit early yet - not a game does a screenshot make.
If you can, do you mind posting the tweet he is responding to in here as well? It would be cool to see specifically what he is referring to.

# 71 roadman @ 04/23/16 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
If you can, do you mind posting the tweet he is responding to in here as well? It would be cool to see specifically what he is referring to.
Hopefully, this is sufficient.

He was referring to this thread with the picture on the first post, I took a shortcut and assumed everyone would think he was responding to the picture posted.

Sander Anton Baarsma ‏@SanderBaarsma 13h13 hours ago
@ClintOldenburg One leaked screenshot and e’body already screams ‘fire’ nothing has been done for #M17. I’m sure you will prove them wrong

Clint Oldenburg ‏@ClintOldenburg 3h3 hours ago
@SanderBaarsma not even sure what you're talking about, but working away!

Sander Anton Baarsma ‏@SanderBaarsma 3h3 hours ago
@ClintOldenburg http://www.operationsports.com/news/...-presentation/

Clint Oldenburg
‏@ClintOldenburg

# 72 mrprice33 @ 04/23/16 08:43 PM
As far as I understand art assets (like shoes) are some of the last things to be added to a game (Live 16 was a great example of this). It's a separate subset of the group that more or less handles art like you'd see a modder handle it. That stuff can be changed day-to-day, hour to hour.

As far as equipment, I don't know if it's as simple as people think. The helmets are rendered independently of the player heads, so any new ones need to be tested to make sure they actually stay on player's heads. Arm/elbow pads etc have similar issues. These aren't necessarily pasted on textures, so you could very easily get clipping issues (like Live 16's t-shirts in the demo) all over the place.

Likely, it's a multi-year process to build the pipeline to get equipment into the game. Remember when they finally shrank the ball after like 10 years? I imagine it will be like that. It'll just happen. At least, that's my hope.

# 73 roadman @ 04/23/16 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECElit3
Aannnd... this is garbage. How hard is it to watch a football game and follow the presentation style within it? Why add these gimicky screens that in no way, shape or form follow the presentation style or format of a real life NFL game? Unbelievable.

I'll wait to see more, but it's not looking good so far.
Best answer in the thread for that question, I had to do a double take and think about the answer, but jfsolo is correct, they've followed the beat of their own drummer instead of mimicking a NFL game.

As far as presentation goes, I know that some people are going to fight against it til the end of time, but EA is never going to take the path of, "we're going to limit ourselves to making an attempt to mirror only what is seen on TV broadcasts in real life." NEVER. They've been pretty transparent about their presentation philosophy. So one can still be upset and rail against their decisions on that front, but it's like hoping that they remove MUT from the game. It's just something that isn't going to happen.

# 74 4thQtrStre5S @ 04/23/16 09:05 PM
I find presentation to just be an obstacle I have to suffer through; not cause it isn't good, but because I am there to play football, as a player..Give me locker room shots and half time locker room where I can pick new playbooks if I wish to.

# 75 RogueHominid @ 04/23/16 09:09 PM
It's too early to draw big conclusions, that's for sure.

My question, however, which often comes up with Madden is: What is the world in which X makes sense to the developers as a thing to do in Madden?

What part of the game we see on Sundays or of the NFL culture was the team trying to capture with this shot? What aspect of real NFL football or its media representation was the art team or whoever made this shot going for?

Maybe I'm not watching the same broadcasts, but I just don't see a group shot of an offensive or defensive unit such as this one making sense. Maybe the Legion of Boom has done local Seattle commercials in which they strike poses, but I don't think the Packers' secondary has the credibility to go this hard.

If unit shots like this are in the game, It's not going to kill the experience for me, but I really just want these cats to figure out how to make this product feel like what I see on Sunday in as many ways as possible.

I want the form of the game to communicate to me that these guys understand the sport they're trying to represent and that they're attempting to reproduce it digitally with maximum fidelity. I don't always get that impression, but I'd like to.

On the plus side, I'm actually still playing Madden daily, so all they really have to do is find a way not to make the game worse.

# 76 Junior Moe @ 04/23/16 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
It's too early to draw big conclusions, that's for sure.

My question, however, which often comes up with Madden is: What is the world in which X makes sense to the developers as a thing to do in Madden?

What part of the game we see on Sundays or of the NFL culture was the team trying to capture with this shot? What aspect of real NFL football or its media representation was the art team or whoever made this shot going for?

Maybe I'm not watching the same broadcasts, but I just don't see a group shot of an offensive or defensive unit such as this one making sense. Maybe the Legion of Boom has done local Seattle commercials in which they strike poses, but I don't think the Packers' secondary has the credibility to go this hard.

If unit shots like this are in the game, It's not going to kill the experience for me, but I really just want these cats to figure out how to make this product feel like what I see on Sunday in as many ways as possible.

I want the form of the game to communicate to me that these guys understand the sport they're trying to represent and that they're attempting to reproduce it digitally with maximum fidelity. I don't always get that impression, but I'd like to.

On the plus side, I'm actually still playing Madden daily, so all they really have to do is find a way not to make the game worse.
To me it looks like something tailor made for MUT. That's what all of the presentation seems to be aimed at. Not an actual broadcast.

# 77 roadman @ 04/23/16 09:32 PM
I go back to that question, though, when was the last time Madden looked like a NFL Broadcast?

I'd go back to the days of James Brown in the studio and Madden and Summerall as the announcers.

Until the games starts looking similar to a NFL broadcast and sounding like one, expectations aren't very high for me in that area. The bright spot is that Rex mentioned commentary was a area of concern that needed to be addressed.

# 78 mrprice33 @ 04/23/16 09:48 PM
I've always been of the opinion that they should not limit themselves on presentational aspects of the game. Otherwise, we'd be stuck playing in broadcast cam forever.

# 79 jbd345 @ 04/23/16 10:06 PM
Looks interesting. Looks like a cutscene which I'm ok with. I'll reserve further judgement until I see it in motion.

# 80 mrprice33 @ 04/23/16 10:18 PM
If some SNF or ESPN producer sees Madden 17 and decides they want to do stuff like this with players (maybe not in pads) for starting lineups or something like that, that'd be really cool, and it wouldn't have happened without the game pushing the envelope.

Here's an article talking about some things TV has borrowed from Madden, and vice versa: http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...e-ways/385057/

Here's another, from 2004: http://www.chicagotribune.com/chi-04...v11-story.html

The dogmatic "they can only do what we see on TV" view is short-sighted at best and damaging to innovation in the game at worst.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.