Home
NBA Live 17 News Post

As we reported on just a bit ago, NBA Live is definitely not coming to consoles this fall -- and may be going through a complete overhaul according to a new message posted by Sean O'Brien on EA's website.

Quote:
Hey LIVE fans:

I want to share some important updates on what’s next for NBA LIVE and give you an overview of where we’re going with the franchise over the course of this year.

It’s important that you know that we are committed to NBA LIVE in the console space. While we won’t be shipping a product this Fall, we will be back on the courts with something new and exciting for you to experience in early 2017.

Our focus this year is to deliver an amazing, high-quality basketball game to a global audience. The best way to do that is through the fastest growing, largest, and most accessible gaming platform…mobile. As a team, we’re really excited about taking the franchise to new places with the worldwide release of our mobile game later this year.

More details to follow in the coming months!

Sean O’Brien
Executive Producer, NBA LIVE

Game: NBA Live 17Hype Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 3 - View All
Member Comments
# 41 SportsGameGod @ 05/11/16 10:57 AM
It's just sad. They really should just close up shop.

# 42 Nemesis Enforcer @ 05/11/16 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noshun
The truth is the real blame lies on NBA Live fans. You guys cant be honest with yourselves; straight up when it comes to Live. Well, most of you anyways. You fans never see anything wrong with the product or you start blaming 2k for Lives issues. The few of you on this, and various other forums say a sideslick comment about 2k, then say something else on Twitter, and when you get called out for it, you wont man up. Too many Harvey Dents on this side of the forums.

Also you Live fans didn't support the product.. the sales speak for Live. You wanted competition, you got it. Blame yourselves. I said this last year in October to quote myself:

Live fans that don't see anything wrong, get up go to the bathroom and stand in front of the sink and look in the mirror. Theres your problem with Live.

Edit: blame goes to the devs as well. How many years in a row do you have these surveys asking what our opinions are etc, then ask about 2k, and if 2k is an answer the survey is over. ow many wishlist going back years have the same request on them consecutively? Live still has the same issues I found when I was doing QA on Live 07/08.. the main issues are still there as far as animations, believable human movement, etc. Stuff I complained about back in 2006. Its still there.. I said in my letter to David Gardner I wont buy Live until I see changes, and its been that way since that email. Stop this saying Live is from the ground up. It isn't.

You cut corners reusing the same bad animation assets from 2 generations ago, optimize old bad code, post blogs about patting yourselves on the back, tea light candle sessions, blogs about pictures and videos with no pictures or videos in them, have your PR guys take swipes at 2k, when you don't have your stuff together etc... Its sad really... all this was self guillotine style by EA, and Live fans(boy) to a degree...
Lol what a load of crap. We all know 2k fans are responsible for this.

# 43 KingTocco @ 05/11/16 12:11 PM
Honestly they should either just take a full year off and completely rebuild the franchise, and I mean completely.

Or just cancel the game series, it's not working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 44 Crunky @ 05/11/16 12:18 PM
I'm pro competition, live didn't get to this point from a lack of effort but they did get here from a lack of manpower. Live higher ups should of sat down and told themselves hey look the competition has a 2 year developmental cycle on us, so let's poor all our resources on the game similar to our other franchises in madden and fifa, just so we can keep pace with the competition. If they took the time to look at the competition they would of noticed how large their development team is especially since their competitor merged with their College Hoops franchise after it was disbanded. By not pouring enough resources to sustain the product in consumer eyes showed a lack of faith and that's what ultimately did them in.

My heart goes out to the live dev team they poured their hearts in to the product, they should be proud of themselves because there's not much you can do when the higher ups have a blueprint that their sticking too and you have little to no say in the product including your understaffed. If your gonna go out at least go out with a bang like the competitions football game did leaving a lasting impression on the community. That games game play wasn't all that special out of the box it needed sliders to fix it. But what it did special was customization, animation quality and presentation they killed it. That's the blueprint you need togo out with, don't leave a poor taste in consumer minds because if you do have a change of heart and want to come back it won't end well.

# 45 Haval93 @ 05/11/16 12:28 PM
Not unexpected. It is probably the current structure of the EA that won't allow the developers to succeed. Probably way too many meetings and not enough programming and creative freedom to allow the game to succeed.

Sales and reviews have been horrible the past two console generations. I'm disappointed they will be focusing on a mobile game at all, it seems that they don't have enough time already with developing for a console game and now they are going to allocate valuable developers over to a mobile game? Not the best strategy. EA needs to throw more man-power on this project if they want to be even viable this year. I think the game will be sold at 19.99/29.99 as Pro-Am and Be-A-Pro online type experience and will just have a practice and quick play mode for offline play. It will probably release around the all-star break when the NFL season has died off and the NBA season is in full force to maximize sales.

# 46 snc237 @ 05/11/16 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackceasar
I mean honestly and I'm not trying to dog on EA Sports (you know, don't wanna get banned), but at some point you just have to base your judgment and level of skepticism based on previous track record. It's all about that track record folks. No one put a gun to their head and told them to make really bad basketball games (Live 10 and Elite 11 I'm looking at you). Also no one put a gun to their head and told them to scrap a game, take multiple years off and talk a big game of promising that the time off was to make something truly amazing (...or at least worth a full 60.00), only for the next game to come out after the big speeches was another relative failure. I dont say "failure" but I say "relative failure" because had they just kept their mouth shut in the past, the backlash would have been so severe last time they pulled this stunt.

It's track record people. No one here is out to just see EA Sport's demise. Nor does anyone here want to see them fail. So when we read articles like this and hit them hard, we have a right to do so, we have a right to be skeptical, and we have a right to disagree with the fanboys and other people over hyping up the game because of their own relationship potentially with the publisher. At the end of the day, again, it's track record. You cannot deny it. It's there. It's forever written in the history of the interwebs. It's no different than being bad with your money and debt and having a 370 FICO score now. No bank want's to hear your story, or your sell job on what you're going to do now. They don't wanna hear it and you're not getting the benefit of the doubt simply because your track record is all on you as a game developer.

So he said they are giving it more development time... okay... last time you did this you had a whole two years... you talked it up.. and look what happened.

So he said we want to release our own basketball game in a different time of the year to shake things up. Hmmmm... basically what you're really saying is you don't feel as confident in your own game to compete with the 2k franchise. Think about it... the fact that you don't want to release your product at the same time, and around the time youve always released it until another company started doing it better really speaks volumes in the faith and confidence you have in your own product. It's like a group of kids that arent that good at basketball wanting to play a pick up game but when they get close to the court they see some really good players there, so they just wait for those kids to leave before you get on the court....

I'm not an EA Sports *****. I wish they would get their **** together to be honest. I WANT two GREAT games so I can choose. That's not been the case in years.... Track record. When it comes to Live your's isnt great and here you go again....
Wow this is sure constructive criticism (sarcasm). Anywho even if EA released a better basketball game then 2k it would have a hard time selling. They probably should just stop. Even 2k stopper NHL and MLB because it couldn't compete with the competition. EA I would love a NBA jam and street though.

# 47 Crunky @ 05/11/16 01:48 PM
I keep hearing you guy mention that they should come out with a NBA Street game but I can tell you as a fact that their aren't alot of people willing to shell out $60 for an arcade basketball game. Don't tell me that they can sell it at a reduced price because they can't with the agreement they have with the NBA. I would love if they came out with a baseball game, but in reality they can't due to licensing fees with MLB it will be very hard to make money because of it, just look at the competitors baseball game as an example they went out of business because of it.

# 48 KingTocco @ 05/11/16 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunky
I keep hearing you guy mention that they should come out with a NBA Street game but I can tell you as a fact that their aren't alot of people willing to shell out $60 for an arcade basketball game. Don't tell me that they can sell it at a reduced price because they can't with the agreement they have with the NBA. I would love if they came out with a baseball game, but in reality they can't due to licensing fees with MLB it will be very hard to make money because of it, just look at the competitors baseball game as an example they went out of business because of it.

Lol I guarantee that if they came out with a new NBA Street that was on par and have improvement of the last versions, people would pay $60 for it....especially if it had an online mode as well.

# 49 Crunky @ 05/11/16 02:35 PM
I would purchase this NBA Street game only if they go to the extreme with it by adding things the competition won't risk in putting in their game, like arguing foul call, receiving technicals and getting ejections. Go over the top with it, like backboard alley oops to self and teammates, shattering glass on backboard like shaq, breaking rims, have user input celebrations, user input dunks, hang on rim with user input. Have minigames like half court shot to win cash prize. Make the game more physical like flagrant fouls, blowing up defenders with moving screens ala draymond green. Also have the presentation be top notch than and only than can I see myself and many others shell out the $60.

# 50 KingTocco @ 05/11/16 02:47 PM
Quote:
I would purchase this NBA Street game only if they go to the extreme with it by adding things the competition won't risk in putting in their game, like arguing foul call, receiving technicals and getting ejections. Go over the top with it, like backboard alley oops to self and teammates, shattering glass on backboard like shaq, breaking rims, have user input celebrations, user input dunks, hang on rim with user input. Have minigames like half court shot to win cash prize. Make the game more physical like flagrant fouls, blowing up defenders with moving screens ala draymond green. Also have the presentation be top notch than and only than can I see myself and many others shell out the $60.
I'll just leave with this, I don't want to de-rail this thread anymore. None of the stuff you'd like (the extreme stuff) will probably ever be in a basketball game. That's why players get fines and other things when they do it, it's not a good look for players and the NBA when it happens. The NBA would never allow for that to be in a game.

Based on your response I'm not sure if you've ever played the original street games, they were all ridiculous with crazy dunks/gamebreakers etc. That's really the whole point of the game, it's a type of game between an NBA Jam and NBA 2K series.

Maybe you won't pay $60 for it and that's fine. $60 isn't really a lot when it comes to video games anymore considering all the collection edition, DLC, etc. stuff that gets sold as well. NBA/NFL/FIFA street made it to the "greatest hits" collection for Playstation and Xbox for a reason, if it was good, it would sell a lot.

# 51 TheBadazz @ 05/11/16 04:38 PM
They have NBA street and NBA Jam. Put out one of those. I gave Live a chance the last 2 years, that's it.

# 52 Crunky @ 05/11/16 06:25 PM
My belief is instead of hiring more devs their using the same dev team for both mobile and console that's why theres a delay. But in reality there seeing how well they do on mobile if they do good in sales then they would cancel the consoles. Don't forget their NBA contract expires in 2017 so I believe this mobile game will transition into a street basketball game without NBA players. They will call it Extreme Street Basketball since the NBA won't be involved they could add all the technicals,flagrant fouls, ejections and all the cool ideas I wrote in my other post. Millions of people will support this on consoles that's a fact.

# 53 magicman32 @ 05/11/16 07:24 PM
They should consider releasing it for PC too and let the mods have at it. Why not at this point?

# 54 Shakedowncapo @ 05/11/16 08:27 PM
Its a wrap. I feel like most people are looking at the 2017 release date and ignoring the, "The best way to do that is through the fastest growing, largest, and most accessible gaming platform…mobile."

Game.Set.Match.

EA is letting you know right now where this series stands and where they stand with you as console fans. They're finished with you.

# 55 Rockie_Fresh88 @ 05/11/16 09:24 PM
NBA street would be a great direction. I would pay for that

# 56 Ermolli @ 05/11/16 09:32 PM
In hindsight, after knowing how it all went through, I wish Elite 11 had released. Yes it wasn't nowhere near as good as Live 10, yes it was a bad decision to leave Mike Wang and yes the idea of having a hockey guy direct the game was ridiculous; but still I don't think it could've resulted in a way as bad as the current situation is with the franchise. In my opinion it had stuff I really liked, had features that were more interesting (in my opinion) than the ones that are in Live 16, and had deeper modes in Rising Star and Dynasty. A huge what if I believe.

# 57 Hassan Darkside @ 05/11/16 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedowncapo
Its a wrap. I feel like most people are looking at the 2017 release date and ignoring the, "The best way to do that is through the fastest growing, largest, and most accessible gaming platform…mobile."

Game.Set.Match.

EA is letting you know right now where this series stands and where they stand with you as console fans. They're finished with you.
Yup, that's what I was going to point out. They're purposefully vague regarding console support but I wouldn't count on anything before October 2017. Sounds like a complete strategy shift toward mobile gaming. I think they're throwing in the towel on at least the fully-featured console title if not bowing out completely.

# 58 dubcity @ 05/11/16 10:22 PM
Looks like they want to do Ultimate Team, without the hassles and work involved in having to produce console quality game-play (or maybe ANY real gameplay). Basically sounds like EA's dream for all their games.

# 59 Crunky @ 05/11/16 10:29 PM
I know this is jumping off topic but NBA live lost a ton of momentum not releasing elite 11. Looking back on it was a very, very poor decision not to release the game. If your gonna fail at least allow the consumers to decide, from what I could tell there were many great ideas in elite 11 never to be brought back to recent NBA live games. I'm pretty sure if they kept elite 11 on track they would've been able to polish the game up a bit for the next few installments. The live devs would of ended up well adjusted to the engine they were using that time and the consumer base wouldn't have disappeared as fast as they did, due to the 2year hiatus of NBA live forced consumers like myself at that time to try the competitors game. Like you said in your post it is a what if moment if we stuck with the product despite having a poor glitched bugged game would the consumer base remain intact knowing we had a great product in NBA live 09 and 10. We can all speculate but that's what I believe ultimately did them in.

# 60 strawberryshortcake @ 05/12/16 02:27 AM
Quote:
Spoiler

My heart goes out to the live dev team they poured their hearts in to the product, they should be proud of themselves because there's not much you can do when the higher ups have a blueprint that their sticking too and you have little to no say in the product including your understaffed.
Spoiler

This is directed to anyone who has any input whatsoever, from anyone please.

When people claim developers' hands are tied by suits, what exactly does that truly mean? Aren't the suits only concerned about the bottom line? Does motion capturing running, shooting, rebounding, passing, shot blocking, movement etc styles, during session one on day one at the developer's office change depending on what the suits want? Do suits say you can't motion capture "x" realistically and say you must motion capture it arcadey?

Then when it comes to gameplay and player movement and play books and interactions on the floor, how do suits influence these aspects? Do suits say can we make Kobe jump from the three point line and dunk the ball? Where's my half court shots? Facial scans look too realistic, can we make them look more arcadey, please?

Are the suits really influencing what happens with gameplay elements? If the suits want highlight dunks, wouldn't the programmers simply program more dunks in the game, but when it comes to motion capturing these dunks, they should still be realistic considering the developers are basically motion capturing a guy dunking the basketball.

Some people might consider the "other" basketball game arcade and others consider it simulation. Those considering it arcade may say there's too many dunks. But the way the dunks look still looks realistic. Too many shots going in, even contested, but they still aesthetically looks realistic.

Wouldn't the suits take a look at their competitor's numbers and sales figures and say "why can't you guys try to mimic what their doing?"

The question is: Is it really the suits influencing what happens in the game or is it the developers just having a difficult time programming what the developers actually want to accomplish in the game? Maybe developers actually want to do something but they simply can't program the game to do what they want. Software programming is suppose to be difficult, right?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.