Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

Madden NFL 17 address all three phases of the game on offense, defense, and special teams.

Quote:
Let's start with offense and the new Ball Carrier Controls. We’ve added a tiered system to the types of special moves different players are able to pull off – depending on their attributes, ratings and speed. So now, expect your bigger bruising backs to be more effective with truck moves and stiff arms, while smaller, shiftier backs have more effective jukes and spins. Now don't worry if you’re not a magician yet on the sticks. New Ball Carrier UI Prompts help teach moves available to you, while the new Path Assist helps you navigate and anticipate down field. Additionally on lower skill levels, you can put the work on us and we will pick the appropriate moves for you, unlocking the fun for all of our players. Now, onto the defensive side of the ball.

While the new tools on offense make you a better, more creative ball carrier, the New Defensive AI System is built on up to date NFL Strategies – such as Gap Play, Force Defenders and improved Zone Coverages. It’s time to force your opponents to stop being so one dimensional. New Gap Play AI brings a new level of NFL authenticity and strategy to your defensive teammates. Each of your teammates has a gap assignment on run defense that puts them in position to better defend the run. Force defenders protect the outside of the field, pushing the ball carrier back inside allowing cut back defenders to make the big play. Finally Zone Coverage has been completely overhauled, with the addition of 8 new zone concepts never before seen in Madden. Defenders have more awareness of threats to each zone and can pattern match receivers, creating defensive counters to stop virtually every passing concept. It's our most realistic AI to date and it's across the entire field.

Special Teams, the 3rd phase of football, is where big games are often won and lost. For the first time years we’re bringing the excitement back to special teams. A New Kick Meter is designed to increase the challenge of the kicking game like we see in today’s NFL. Additionally, the ability to ice the kicker allows you to turn up the pressure on those late game winning field goal attempts. New trick plays and a new block kick mechanic add new elements to the risk and reward of Special Teams.

Some features...

GROUND GAME
All-New on Both Sides of The Ball - Experience the most balanced gameplay to date on offense making you a better, more creative ball carrier, while new defensive AI puts your teammates into position to stop the run or passing game.

FRANCHISE
Redesigned and Deeper Than Ever - Take your team all the way in the deepest Franchise mode to-date, putting you at the center of your team’s Championship run.

PRESENTATION
See It and Hear It to Believe It - Feel and experience the game from a new perspective - focused on you.

MADDEN 365
Never Miss a Beat - If it happens in the NFL, it happens in Madden. Experience fresh content daily for your football fix.

Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 61 Ampking101 @ 05/12/16 09:01 PM
Coming from the trailer thread I was really having some difficulty having much hope for Madden 17. Then they actually start talking about the additions and improvements and they got me back on the fence again.

I'm not going to buy all this talk until we see some actual gameplay, cause I did not see a lot of these things in action in the trailer. That said if they can deliver on even just HALF of what they are promising, I'm 100% in.

If we are talking more realistic football, with smarter defense, and actual gap assignments with greater line play and making player type actually matter more (which they started taking the right steps when they stopped making everyone 95+ speed), along with franchise actually being addressed and possibly completely redone....I'm skeptical...but you now have my attention.

# 62 DeuceDouglas @ 05/12/16 09:07 PM
Looking forward to the Franchise article. Hopefully it will be a legit deep dive going into every single thing they've added. The gameplay stuff all sounds great but I'm going to have to see all that in action before any judgement is passed. Hopefully they'll come out with a full blog of every piece of equipment they added as well in the presentation blog.

# 63 jpdavis82 @ 05/12/16 09:11 PM
Rex and Equipment Guru called in tonight and Sim said the devs are listening to the show, call in guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 64 fballturkey @ 05/12/16 09:15 PM
Blocked kicks? Fineeeee I'll get excited then.

# 65 SageInfinite @ 05/12/16 09:19 PM
Like what I hear. Gotta see and hear more....

# 66 Skyboxer @ 05/12/16 09:23 PM
Still waiting on the magic words formation subs and tiered Playcalling....
I do like what I've read so far though. . Can't wait to see more.

# 67 StevenSD @ 05/12/16 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
I think a lot of us are in that mind set, hell I feel like we get "improved zone defense and zone logic" every 2 years or so and its never right.
We definitely get the 'new/improved AI defensive system' line every year.

# 68 jpdavis82 @ 05/12/16 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenSD

True but we've never had anything about gap assignments or force defenders.

# 69 Aggies7 @ 05/12/16 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenSD

Personally, when they announced the WR/DB interactions last year, many did not believe it would live up to the hype and in my opinion it did. The interactions along with balls finally being deflected into the air (instead of dropping to the ground like a 5 point weight) were a breath of fresh air

So when they say they are focusing on gap assignments and line interactions on Defense this year, I will believe them. Like I said in my opinion they came through last year, so I trust they will this year.

# 70 Toupal @ 05/12/16 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Welcome to the dark side, you are starting to believe.

I am just hoping their plans for franchise include customization.

# 71 ChicagoChris @ 05/12/16 10:06 PM
The fact that special teams is FINALLY addressed is a day 1 purchase for me. About time that this part of the game is included.

# 72 khaliib @ 05/12/16 10:08 PM
Really hope that players will attempt more low tackles.
The high tackle attempt by a smaller player (#11) just would not happen against a player as physical as Gronk.

So with the new defensive features, I hope there is some AI "tackle logic" to consider some aspect of the offensive player they're attempting to bring down.

Hopefully the "coffin-kick" is gone and high hanging punts are in.

The big question though with special teams is the role of the "Snapper" as most of missed FG's are due to the snap and/or hold, more so, than the accuracy of the kicker.

# 73 redsfan4life @ 05/12/16 10:16 PM
Hey,

FORMATION SUBS!

Please. Please. Please.

I've wanted this for 5 years if not more.

# 74 Junior Moe @ 05/12/16 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfan4life
If there's anything I've learned with Madden over the years, it's that talk is cheap. Many times they have promised something and failed to deliver. So I think people would be wise to be in a SHOW ME mindset.
Pessimism towards Madden is certainly warranted. I won't poo poo anyone not swayed, yet. I like, no love, what I am seeing and hearing so far. I know the game wont be perfect. It'll still be "Madden". But they are focusing (at least acknowledging) on the substantive stuff I care about as far as football is concerned. That counts for something so I'm gonna support Rex and crew full bore (not be a cheerleader) now that we have a dev team that seems to get it and has backed up their words so far. I'm in. I'd rather support these guys now and have them continue down this path than to give off the vibe that they aren't good enough (not saying that you or anyone is or anything) only to have another team in there a year or so from now focusing on God knows what. I can't front, Rex has been strait up and delivered and it has shown in the end product. Which is the only thing that matters. M16 is a good game. M17 is looking to be even better just by these few tidbits. Madden looks to finally have stability now and a more sim oriented crew. I remember the others and the product they put out. In Rex I trust!

# 75 NateDogPack12 @ 05/12/16 10:44 PM
I'm so very excited about this rendition of Madden. Many of you that have seen my posts know that I'm by no means an apologist for this game, but I'm going to be optimistic this cycle. I think this team has worked hard the last one or two rounds and we are finally heading in a really positive direction.

The real test will be to see what's under the hood. The little things matter and will make or break the game.

# 76 Yanks1408 @ 05/12/16 10:45 PM
Has anyone ever compared the promises laced in the initial press release with the final build of the game each year? I would be interested in doing so with the past 5-10 incarnations so as to determine the degree to which one should temper expectations. Just off the top of my head, 'improved defensive AI' seems to be an almost annual theme, and I am almost certain running back style differentiation (bruiser versus agile) was mentioned in a previous year.

# 77 Crunky @ 05/12/16 10:49 PM
Color me impressed and I don't easily get impressed. But I'm definitely intrigued by gap assignment, getting back to football. It took 10years to notice you again hope you guys are happy

# 78 Playmakers @ 05/12/16 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChris
The fact that special teams is FINALLY addressed is a day 1 purchase for me. About time that this part of the game is included.
When I think of special teams I wonder if they will utilize those same new ball carrier improvements to reflect on punt/kick off returns by the CPU players?

Think about it when is the last time you had a CPU returner take one to the house on you or better yet when is the last time a CPU team blocked a kick?

So I would be really cautious on these special teams announcements until I see some videos showing it's in the game....

And to certain degree they seem to speak of the Human player controlling these Ball Carriers what about the CPU side of the ball?

I think in all of EA sports games they tend to forget there's a lot of guys who play the CPU offline in single player mode and we love to see the AI take advantage of these upgrades against doing gameplay.

# 79 Yanks1408 @ 05/12/16 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDogPack12
I'm so very excited about this rendition of Madden. Many of you that have seen my posts know that I'm by no means an apologist for this game, but I'm going to be optimistic this cycle. I think this team has worked hard the last one or two rounds and we are finally heading in a really positive direction.

The real test will be to see what's under the hood. The little things matter and will make or break the game.
You know how in MLB and NBA 2K you have to gameplan for players, approach teams differently, etc. The reason being because ratings matter and there is depth to the gameplay that is a product of an intelligent engine? I just want a football equivalent of this.

# 80 SolidSquid @ 05/12/16 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanks1408
You know how in MLB and NBA 2K you have to gameplan for players, approach teams differently, etc. The reason being because ratings matter and there is depth to the gameplay that is a product of an intelligent engine? I just want a football equivalent of this.
Same. I wanna feel the pressure before the game even starts if I'm facing the Broncos defense "ok gotta max protect and go with quick hits in the passing game, make sure the qb has both hands on the ball at all times bc Von and Demarcus are coming to knock it out".

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.