Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

Madden NFL 17 address all three phases of the game on offense, defense, and special teams.

Quote:
Let's start with offense and the new Ball Carrier Controls. We’ve added a tiered system to the types of special moves different players are able to pull off – depending on their attributes, ratings and speed. So now, expect your bigger bruising backs to be more effective with truck moves and stiff arms, while smaller, shiftier backs have more effective jukes and spins. Now don't worry if you’re not a magician yet on the sticks. New Ball Carrier UI Prompts help teach moves available to you, while the new Path Assist helps you navigate and anticipate down field. Additionally on lower skill levels, you can put the work on us and we will pick the appropriate moves for you, unlocking the fun for all of our players. Now, onto the defensive side of the ball.

While the new tools on offense make you a better, more creative ball carrier, the New Defensive AI System is built on up to date NFL Strategies – such as Gap Play, Force Defenders and improved Zone Coverages. It’s time to force your opponents to stop being so one dimensional. New Gap Play AI brings a new level of NFL authenticity and strategy to your defensive teammates. Each of your teammates has a gap assignment on run defense that puts them in position to better defend the run. Force defenders protect the outside of the field, pushing the ball carrier back inside allowing cut back defenders to make the big play. Finally Zone Coverage has been completely overhauled, with the addition of 8 new zone concepts never before seen in Madden. Defenders have more awareness of threats to each zone and can pattern match receivers, creating defensive counters to stop virtually every passing concept. It's our most realistic AI to date and it's across the entire field.

Special Teams, the 3rd phase of football, is where big games are often won and lost. For the first time years we’re bringing the excitement back to special teams. A New Kick Meter is designed to increase the challenge of the kicking game like we see in today’s NFL. Additionally, the ability to ice the kicker allows you to turn up the pressure on those late game winning field goal attempts. New trick plays and a new block kick mechanic add new elements to the risk and reward of Special Teams.

Some features...

GROUND GAME
All-New on Both Sides of The Ball - Experience the most balanced gameplay to date on offense making you a better, more creative ball carrier, while new defensive AI puts your teammates into position to stop the run or passing game.

FRANCHISE
Redesigned and Deeper Than Ever - Take your team all the way in the deepest Franchise mode to-date, putting you at the center of your team’s Championship run.

PRESENTATION
See It and Hear It to Believe It - Feel and experience the game from a new perspective - focused on you.

MADDEN 365
Never Miss a Beat - If it happens in the NFL, it happens in Madden. Experience fresh content daily for your football fix.

Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 121 Rubio809 @ 05/13/16 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBlue02
I played last years game a few times and couldnt get into it.
Really? I thought Madden 16 was incredible and took huge strides forward. Still playing it today.

Chances are you won't be happy with 17 if you felt this way about 16.

# 122 CM Hooe @ 05/13/16 10:33 AM
On charging for elements in CFM: the concept of pay-to-win is very widely accepted as terrible game design when devising a micro transaction element. I'm sure the guys at Tiburon know this. To that end I would not expect to see any "buy XP"/ "training bonus" / etc. options in CFM anytime soon.

Note that Ultimate Team is absolutely not pay-to-win. It is entirely playable without spending a dime, and there are safeguards in preventing pay-to-win, including the fact that real money / "Points" have no value in the auction house so a user can't just pick his players.

# 123 StevenSD @ 05/13/16 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D
Yeah, not much sympathy here. Franchise guys complain about the attention MUT gets when they users pay more to get it, but now reject the idea of a comprehensive franchise mode that utilizes a ton of online resources an extra development if it costs anything extra.
Franchise has been apart of Madden for over 10 years. To start charging extra for that mode now is just ridiculous.

I hate that line of thinking, 'yo users pay more for that game mode' ... and? we paid for cfm/franchise for over 10 years, there is no difference.

# 124 jpdavis82 @ 05/13/16 10:36 AM
Sim just tweeted this was merely a suggestion from a community member that's it. So hopefully that's all it really is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 125 howboutdat @ 05/13/16 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D
Yeah, not much sympathy here. Franchise guys complain about the attention MUT gets when they users pay more to get it, but now reject the idea of a comprehensive franchise mode that utilizes a ton of online resources an extra development if it costs anything extra.

That doesn't even take into account that the mode would be developed for a niche of a loud but small percentage of their users. I'm not saying anything they develop is worth some extra money, but I can see them doing something worth the cost. But this attitude pretty much tells EA to move on.
No offense, but EA makes more than enough off of MUT and Madden Mobile alone , profit im talking to fund the entire game across the board and still make millions.If that isnt enough for em, many will walk. MUT and CFM are completely dif modes. The whole concept behind MUT is pay for the best team. CFM the idea is actualy spend years building your team thru true team management. You start breaking up the user base of CFM based on who pays the most for it, your destroy the whole thing the mode is about. There is a huge difference.

The fact is , EA has more than the money to make CFM better already.People dont realize how much money just Madden Mobile alone makes them, but i assure you its in the millions.

# 126 howboutdat @ 05/13/16 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Sim just tweeted this was merely a suggestion from a community member that's it. So hopefully that's all it really is.

ok fair enough, but why focus on that so much on the show , when the devs for CFM are clearly listening? Why not save that for another time and just focus on what people want to see in CFM , without the tag of paid for...and again they arent the first GC ive heard talk about this, Shop and Madscientist have too. Im pretty sure Shop even mentioned it in one of this live streams on his new show on ea twitch this year.... just odd i keep hearing it from the GC who are most responsive with community to me.

# 127 DeuceDouglas @ 05/13/16 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
On charging for elements in CFM: the concept of pay-to-win is very widely accepted as terrible game design when devising a micro transaction element. I'm sure the guys at Tiburon know this. To that end I would not expect to see any "buy XP"/ "training bonus" / etc. options in CFM anytime soon.

Note that Ultimate Team is absolutely not pay-to-win. It is entirely playable without spending a dime, and there are safeguards in preventing pay-to-win, including the fact that real money / "Points" have no value in the auction house so a user can't just pick his players.
I've never touched MUT so I don't know how it works but if the fact that paying money doesn't get you better players, why and what is it that people are exactly paying for?

# 128 therealsmallville @ 05/13/16 10:56 AM
Pretty much every game released these days has DLC of some kind, and often with a "season pass" package. I could see myself purchasing a few things, but, as with all DLC, it would depend on what it was.

Madden 10 had DLC for purchase, like the ability to prevent 2 players in the league from retiring (I used this, kept Favre around til he was 50 lol), and other small things that didn't impact the base game if you didn't have it. Stuff like that, or the inclusion of Legends, I would pay a couple bucks for.

If the NFL announced mid-season that a new international game would be added the following year in a new location, I'd pay a couple bucks if it meant EA could get the new stadium in my game right now.

I'd even be willing to pay a couple bucks for expanded commentary (like a seperate team) or updated video for rookie QB entrances so it's not showing college footage in year 2 & beyond.

Those things are reasonable, to me. It's rare these days to pay $60 and have the complete experience. Basic features, though, that have always bedn included, no way. If we had to pay for things like "all new progression!", or throwback uniforms, or gear, count me out of that.

# 129 CM Hooe @ 05/13/16 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
I've never touched MUT so I don't know how it works but if the fact that paying money doesn't get you better players, why and what is it that people are exactly paying for?
You're basically trading money for time.

Any user may acquire any player in the auction house, but only with Coins. Coins are only earned by playing games. There are "Quick-Sell for Coins" items but as far as I know those are only rewards for completing solo challenges. Users can also trade cards one-for-one, if I recall correctly. The effect is that there is no card off-limits to users who decide they don't want to spend any real money on the mode, but they have to put in a whole lot of time playing games and earning coins to get the cards they really want. The challenge of that experience is the appeal of MUT to these players.

The things many people spend money on are packs. Packs contain multiple random cards of varying power levels / OVR ratings, and can be bought with coins or real money. The odds of getting desirable cards don't change based on whether you use coins or money. People who go this route basically want to build the best team with which to play against others online and don't want to waste their time on solo challenges.

The effect is that, while you can absolutely build a competitive team without spending money, it will take a while, and it is unquestionably faster to build a competitive team by spending money. Users are paying for convenience.

# 130 jpdavis82 @ 05/13/16 11:09 AM
Adidas cleats confirmed, those cleats Burnett has on are pretty crazy.

# 131 N51_rob @ 05/13/16 11:09 AM
Quote:
I'm quoting Rex for emphasis because this is important.

The "drop to spot" zone coverage concept that's been in every football game since the dawn of time is, while not necessarily wrong, a naive implementation of zone defense. NFL teams and FBS level college teams don't play drop-to-spot zones really at all, they use pattern match zone defenses. An NFL linebacker in a Cover 3 match defense doesn't wait for receivers to enter his assigned region of the field in a stubborn hook zone assignment, rather he tracks multiple receivers and based on their route combinations works towards a specific receiver.

If Tiburon nails pattern matching in Madden 17, you can basically take everything you know about how zone defense operates in Madden 16 and any other football video game you've ever played and chuck it out the window. This is not a token "we improved defensive AI this year" change, this is a concept that fundamentally changes how one calls and strategizes pass defense in Madden. Assuming they get it right or even somewhere close, this is a real-life advanced football concept you must learn to succeed in Madden going forward.

Drop to spot is why 4 verts was so money. LBs that got no depth at all in their drops. Really want to see all this in action.

# 132 spoofrice11 @ 05/13/16 11:15 AM
Please say that the stupid CFM is gone or I will pass again. Got a Xone last yr w/ EA Access & didn't like the game at all.
Hopefully they played MyLeague on NBA 2K16 and try to make it like that. With Editing, Options and Control on things.

# 133 Cowboy008 @ 05/13/16 11:15 AM
Quote:
Adidas cleats confirmed, those cleats Burnett has on are pretty crazy.

I'm glad they are finally adding in new equipment. Even though it's a small thing it really adds to the game. Hopefully they have added in some new facemasks as well

# 134 DeuceDouglas @ 05/13/16 11:17 AM
Quote:
The things many people spend money on are packs. Packs contain multiple random cards of varying power levels / OVR ratings, and can be bought with coins or real money. The odds of getting desirable cards don't change based on whether you use coins or money. People who go this route basically want to build the best team with which to play against others online and don't want to waste their time on solo challenges.

The effect is that, while you can absolutely build a competitive team without spending money, it will take a while, and it is unquestionably faster to build a competitive team by spending money. Users are paying for convenience.
Gotcha. Sounds pretty much exactly like what CoD has become.

# 135 smiley3 @ 05/13/16 11:29 AM
Quote:
Comparison shot of Gurley in 17 vs IRL I just made

Good shot JPDavis82, only if they can tone the colors of the team uniforms to match real life, would make it even more perfect!

# 136 Dwaresacksqb @ 05/13/16 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
That's how it starts though and it only get's worse from there. They might start you off with legends and coaches or something like that and if people pay it's only going to increase to potentially things like scouting packages or training packages or XP boost type things. I would highly, highly doubt they would ever go there but with the way things are now it's entirely possible.
That's possible. Honestly, I didn't even think about legendary head coaches. Now that is something I would think about purchasing. It would still keep the game realistic, I could just treat the hiring as a coach coming out of retirement as opposed to a player so old, he has no buisness in the league. Still though, I would rather they not add any micro transactions at all to CFM for the same reasons you mentioned.

# 137 Dazraz @ 05/13/16 12:45 PM
I'm just hoping they haven't turned Franchise Mode into a Single Player Offline experience.

# 138 juggalotusx @ 05/13/16 12:46 PM
3 things.
1.Hope special teams blocking is fixed so run backs are possible now
2. saw the new HB running features, hope its more than just a dice roll this year, seemed like you didn't stiff arm last year you had a better chance of breaking a tackle, the animations mess up the running with the ball so much.
3. Still see players standing not interacting, #20 jets looking right at gronk does nothing, patriots downfield not engaging in the play, ugh. Gronks stiff arm also flinging the guy with ease,hmm.

4. If you pause while he is in the endzone big difference in the face, looks very bland and generic.

Crowd looks very nice though.

# 139 jpdavis82 @ 05/13/16 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggalotusx
3 things.
1.Hope special teams blocking is fixed so run backs are possible now
2. saw the new HB running features, hope its more than just a dice roll this year, seemed like you didn't stiff arm last year you had a better chance of breaking a tackle, the animations mess up the running with the ball so much.
3. Still see players standing not interacting, #20 jets looking right at gronk does nothing, patriots downfield not engaging in the play, ugh. Gronks stiff arm also flinging the guy with ease,hmm.

4. If you pause while he is in the endzone big difference in the face, looks very bland and generic.

Crowd looks very nice though.

Crowd looks like it did last year or did I miss something? I liked the crowd last year though, but I would like to see them add children, but first I'd like team flags and cheerleaders, maybe vendors in the stands.

# 140 howboutdat @ 05/13/16 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGamer94

Not necessarily, we need to think of this as year one of the new franchise mode. It's not going to be as deep as Nba 2K and The Show. I'm looking forward to the direction they are taking the mode, what the main pillars of the mode will be. I hoping the mimic the real NFL off-season and put more emphasis on coaching rather than owning.
Year 1? Try year 3 at the least, but really CFM been in since madden 13, so 13,25,15,16 this would be year 5 actually.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.