Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

Check out the latest Madden NFL 17 screenshot, featuring Adrian Peterson. You can see the Under Armour and Adidas cleats much better here. More equipment details are coming soon.

As Clint Oldenburg and Dustin Smith have noted on Twitter, the screenshots that are released on various outlets are a WIP and equipment will get updated before launch.

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 41 CM Hooe @ 05/13/16 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Can you clarify on this? I mean even in real life you wouldn't see cleats unless they are zoomed in up close shots.
He's complaining about something with the game's mipmapping / level-of-detail capabilities.

Basically what happens is that as the distance between the game camera and a textured 3D geometry increases (in a video game or otherwise; Madden isn't the only thing that does this), the texture applied to that object is swapped to a lower-resolution version - often a power-of-two lower, so a 512x512 texture becomes a 256x256 texture which takes up a quarter of the space. This saves video RAM, which allows the graphics card to render more textures, which is necessary because of the wider field of view of the camera / "more things on screen". Graphics cards can also work with smaller textures faster so it speeds up rendering, which means the game can render more things while maintaining the target framerate, in the case of Madden 60 FPS during user-interactive gameplay.

It's a level-of-detail optimization that takes advantage of the fact that it is very hard to make out small details on fair-away objects. This also happens with the 3D geometries themselves; the game swaps out high-poly player models for low-poly player models the further the camera is away from each player. This is something that was very noticeable in PS2 Madden games if you messed around with the instant replay cameras.

What he's complaining about is the level-of-detail routines in Madden being overzealous; the low-detail versions of things are generally appearing too soon, to the point where the swap between the low-res assets and the high-res assets is noticeable. In an ideal scenario, the user is not able to see this transition.

Hopefully I didn't butcher that explanation, someone feel free to correct me if I messed anything up.

# 42 jpdavis82 @ 05/13/16 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke2011
I'm sorry , but the lighting and player models are still off . I mean c'mon, Gronk is the poster boy and his player model is way off from his real counterpart. I would think the lighting and realism would progress each year, but it seems like a very slow progression as compared to other sports games. As far as equipment goes, I doubt we will see mouthpieces because of facial scan compatibility.

I'm hoping the final product is more polished

I don't know about way off

# 43 SolidSquid @ 05/13/16 02:44 PM
Quote:
Doesn't seem way off to me either. One thing I will say is they need to detach the shoulder pads from player models. It's hard to tell where pads end and limbs begin in madden

# 44 waynefontes @ 05/13/16 02:54 PM
Really hope they were able to fix the striped sock problem. However, based on the Jets players in the trailer it looks like M17 still has the problem. Thank god that my team, the Lions, has alternative socks without stripes that I can select. I'm really surprised this wasn't fixed since so many people have complained about this problem for many years.

Also, I'm hoping that the Riddell Speedflex and Schutt Vengeance helmets are in M17.

# 45 Rams_3 @ 05/13/16 03:04 PM
Glad to see the equipment FINALLY being updated. Now if EA could get the mouthpieces and knee braces.

# 46 StL_RamZ @ 05/13/16 03:04 PM

Not sure if posted elsewhere

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

# 47 redsox4evur @ 05/13/16 03:11 PM
Quote:

The only thing that is off on Gronk is his arm brace. It's much bulkier in real life. But I can live with that.

# 48 MAGboyswifT27 @ 05/13/16 03:13 PM
There's hope for some equipment edits, 6 years later.. But can't complain.. Wonder if we can get 1 arm sleeve edits rather than the default 2 arm bottom sleeves..

# 49 cthurt @ 05/13/16 03:16 PM
Does anyone else have problems with the current ankle wraps in the game? Me personally I cant stand them and the bulky wraps are a complete eye soar that has been in the game since I want say Madden 02, hopefully with the new equipment they take a little time to make the ankle wraps more detailed and correct.

# 50 bpac55 @ 05/13/16 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthurt
Does anyone else have problems with the current ankle wraps in the game? Me personally I cant stand them and the bulky wraps are a complete eye soar that has been in the game since I want say Madden 02, hopefully with the new equipment they take a little time to make the ankle wraps more detailed and correct.
Not to mention when you wrap ankles it changes the cleats..they get all out of sorts.

# 51 Rams_3 @ 05/13/16 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpac55
Not to mention when you wrap ankles it changes the cleats..they get all out of sorts.
Yup, i couldn't agree more. I hate the way the bulky tape looks. It looks like a cast instead of tape. Hopefully they finally address that as well.

# 52 SolidSquid @ 05/13/16 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StL_RamZ

Not sure if posted elsewhere

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Davonte is another guy that wears a lip guard, it's starting to seem like they aren't in.

# 53 SageInfinite @ 05/13/16 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Davonte is another guy that wears a lip guard, it's starting to seem like they aren't in.
I don't think they are man. I'm starting to think they don't want to have them because of the facial animations they look to show off.

# 54 SolidSquid @ 05/13/16 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I don't think they are man. I'm starting to think they don't want to have them because of the facial animations they look to show off.
Yea it's gotta be some silly reason, theres really no reason not to have them

# 55 Jershy88 @ 05/13/16 04:51 PM
It sounds like a lot of people are looking for the lip guard mouthpieces, and consider me one of them! I would say 40% of the league wears them. I would love to see them in the game, and in fact its the first thing I have looked for since Madden '06 on the 360. It would really do wonders in differentiating all the players looks, especially when you are year 5 or 6 into CFM and all you have 3 or 4 guys on your team that has the same face. I have hope that based off all this feedback we may see it in 17!

# 56 SageInfinite @ 05/13/16 04:55 PM
Quote:
Yea it's gotta be some silly reason, theres really no reason not to have them
There really isn't. We went a whole generation without them, and they still aren't in. It's not like players stopped wearing them. I think the fans get comfortable with the game, and the devs start to think the details don't matter. Look how long it took for them to get to the stuff that they've gotten to this year.

# 57 adub88 @ 05/13/16 04:59 PM
I hope they finally resolved the big head issue that's been in the game for a while. I'm sure some of you know exactly what I'm talking about. It's most notable on RB's. Doug Martin is a good example. It doesn't appear to be there in the M17 screenshot

# 58 reverend_heat @ 05/13/16 05:13 PM
heres the only way ur ever gonna see them.

VS.

I would argue that it makes a pretty big difference in player likeness.

# 59 skinnybonez @ 05/13/16 05:17 PM
I know RG3 sleeves didn't change color in past yrs, hopefully this yrs does along with secondary colors too.

# 60 DeuceDouglas @ 05/13/16 05:21 PM
Quote:
Highly doubt they're in. No way if they were they wouldn't have shown them off already. I have a feeling there won't be anything outside of helmets/masks, cleats and gloves. The way one-arm sleeves were done says they couldn't add new things to arms for whatever reason so I wouldn't expect anything else in those categories.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.