Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

A new Madden NFL 17 blog has just arrived going over many new details on the running game, including special moves, takeout interaction system and much more.

Quote:
"Madden NFL 17 will feature a broad cast of new Ball Carrier mechanics to keep all Madden players engaged, from beginners to the hard core. Using modifiers, there are now four unique tactics available to customize the running game. In combination with the Fakeout Interactions, all carry their own risks and rewards. The four special-move types are: Standard, Speed (RT/R2), Precision (LT/L2) & Steerable (RT/R2 + LT/L2)."

I won't lie, I'm worried some of this stuff is getting a bit too complicated (think: fighting games and their convoluted control schemes) -- as there are a lot of different combinations to now memorize. Thankfully, the Madden team has thought about this with a couple of smart design decisions.

Quote:
"There’s some new tools available in Madden NFL 17 to make the user a better and more creative ball carrier, including recommended special-move prompts, projected path indicator, special-move feedback text and a setting-specific ball-carrier threat cone."

This will obviously be something which is able to be toggle on/off (On by default in Rookie/Pro modes). This on-screen feedback will help you figure out what you are doing right and wrong which should, in theory, make you better at using the moves. That's a nice little touch.

NOTE: Tackle Battle is on for all difficulty levels with no way to turn it off.

Quote:
"There are three unique ways to experience running the ball via the Ball Carrier Special Moves setting, which allows the user to customize the ground-game experience to his or her own liking (Auto, Assist, Manual)"

These three settings will allow anyone to take advantage of the new moves and not feel overwhelmed. Auto will be what it sounds like, the AI will make the moves as you simply steer the player. Assist will be a nice mix between full manual and full auto control.

The special moves sound like they're taking every level of Madden user into account, which makes them more appealing on the surface. What do you think? Read the full post and leave a comment below!

Source - Madden NFL 17 Gameplay Deep Dive - Ball Carrier Special Moves

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 121 Crunky @ 05/19/16 12:48 PM
Tackle Battle should've been a button mash to simulate pumping of the feet motion to break tackles would've been way cooler than pressing just one button.

# 122 mrprice33 @ 05/19/16 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridiron
And it can't be turned off, smh. That's just plain terrible design. Kills immersion. And they wonder why we complain.

Just when it seems like they're taking one step forward, they take two steps back in some other way.
Eh, to each their own. When it's something that happens a few times a game I don't see the point of caring quite that much.

# 123 Scott @ 05/19/16 12:58 PM
Quote:
And it can't be turned off, smh. That's just plain terrible design. Kills immersion. And they wonder why we complain.

Just when it seems like they're taking one step forward, they take two steps back in some other way.
Already complaining and we haven't even seen it in action...At least, give it a chance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

# 124 Reed1417 @ 05/19/16 12:58 PM
I understand why people are complaining about the tackle battle button and having it break immersion. However if you were able to turn the notification off how would you know which button to hit since it seems like it's going to be random every time? You'll be mad about how it plays out then I'm sure. Also, back to the immersion at the end of the day it's still a video game, and I think what we all have to realize is that we'll still get "video game" things in our video games haha. Let's just relax, and see how it plays out before we jump all over it.

Reed is comin' atcha!!

# 125 l8knight1 @ 05/19/16 01:01 PM
I loved the running game in 15 and they over-nerfed all of the modifiers for 16. There was a glitch where guys were stiff arming their way all the way up the field. Hopefully this is somewhere in the middle of that, like it should have been already for 16. I could run between blockers better in 15 than 16 also, hope that is part of this.

# 126 SolidSquid @ 05/19/16 01:04 PM
Quote:
I just don't want icons as noticeable and hanging over the players heads like the Air Supremacy icons are, especially since we won't be able to turn the Tackle Battle ones off.

If it's like this I can live with it:

This I could absolutely love with, as long as it's not a big button above my players head

# 127 mrprice33 @ 05/19/16 01:06 PM
Quote:
What I don't see the point of is designing some icon to pop up over a players head and then not having an option to turn it off, because a break from immersion is something that you should design to avoid all game long in a simulation sports game. It supposedly "happening a few times" is not a plausible excuse to me quite frankly. It shouldn't happen even once.

I suppose some people care about simulation and immersion and others don't, so yeah, to each their own, but I want immersion and simulation, not unnecessary icons popping up over players heads while playing.
Alrighty then.

# 128 therealsmallville @ 05/19/16 01:07 PM
Quote:

All of the info we received equaled only one step forward, and Tackle Battles equals 2 steps backward for you?

Don't mind me, just trying to compute.

# 129 Scott @ 05/19/16 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
Hi Scott. I don't have to see it in action to know I don't like icons popping up on the screen or being forced to hit a button to break the tackle. I already know I don't like this. Seems to punish a "Coach/GM" mode. I wish both were optional. But I guess this is just occasionally so I could probably live with it.
Let me just say, we don't even know how it'll operate. Let's wait for the blog...

# 130 therealsmallville @ 05/19/16 01:17 PM
Immersion for me is knowing that Carlos Hyde has a better chance now of breaking a tackle from a LB than he did in '16, where any 5'9 CB could open field tackle him by sneezing on him.

I'd imagine the coding would be insane to have the game take into account height, weight, speed, ratings, tru-step, etc, for both players (ball carrier & tackler) to produce a realistic outcome instead of a diceroll; if this simulates all of that for now, then hell yeah. Even JJ Watt gets ran over sometimes, and with Tackle Battles we might see that occasionally.

# 131 mrprice33 @ 05/19/16 01:20 PM
The mechanic is there. It's done. It's a dead issue. We've told them that there has been some feedback about shutting it off and going back to the dice roll tackles, and they'll either add an option or they won't.

# 132 Reed1417 @ 05/19/16 01:21 PM
Quote:
You make a great point, but here is another thought: Why does the feature HAVE to be forced on us at all? Why can't the WHOLE thing be turned off?

That's the part that makes the least sense. Put the feature in, fine, but don't force this stuff on us, just like they didn't force the tackle cone, air supremacy, or a number of other icon features. Just give us options. I don't think that's expecting too much.

I can understand that part of it too. Let me ask you a question, would you rather have it work like the old Pro-Tack system did where you could tell if you were in an animation like that and just mash a button? Let's say for argument sake that you can't turn this off either. If you had to pick one which one would you choose? Hope my question makes sense haha!

Reed is comin' atcha!!

# 133 therealsmallville @ 05/19/16 01:29 PM
Here's hoping Rex and his whole team just stick to their vision for the game, rather than create the game by committee. My fear is if all they hear is negativity & backlash before anyone's even seen a blog on the feature, much less video, they may eventually throw their hands in the air & stop listening or caring about truly making the game better.

By all means, when we get our hands on something, whether it's video, a blog, or game time, and it's just plain bad, we should absolutely shout to the heavens and let them know. Prior to that, Rex's team should be given a chance, in my opinion. I think they've earned it so far. Premature shouting is why so many sim things get tuned out of the game after release, though.

Sorry to be a little off-topic, it's just my 2 cents & opinion. I hope they stick to their vision, and we'll see how it turns out.

# 134 mrprice33 @ 05/19/16 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsmallville
Here's hoping Rex and his whole team just stick to their vision for the game, rather than create the game by committee. My fear is if all they hear is negativity & backlash before anyone's even seen a blog on the feature, much less video, they may eventually throw their hands in the air & stop listening or caring about truly making the game better.

By all means, when we get our hands on something, whether it's video, a blog, or game time, and it's just plain bad, we should absolutely shout to the heavens and let them know. Prior to that, Rex's team should be given a chance, in my opinion. I think they've earned it so far. Premature shouting is why so many sim things get tuned out of the game after release, though.

Sorry to be a little off-topic, it's just my 2 cents & opinion. I hope they stick to their vision, and we'll see how it turns out.
Well they've had 20-30 game changers play it (and trust me when I say we are super critical) and I don't think anybody wanted it turned off. I don't know what the legit feedback is on twitter but here I think I've seen 5-10 people passionately say they want it optional or out of the game completely.

# 135 SolidSquid @ 05/19/16 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Let me just say, we don't even know how it'll operate. Let's wait for the blog...

Me price has answer a few questions regarding it, I think we have a pretty good idea of how it works

# 136 Crunky @ 05/19/16 01:36 PM
I'd prefer button mash could easily turn it off, just remember to tap A when your stood up in a tackle than have random buttons that pop over your head that kill immersion.

# 137 SolidSquid @ 05/19/16 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunky
I'd prefer button mash could easily turn it off, just remember to tap A when your stood up in a tackle than have random buttons that pop over your head that kill immersion.
To be fair we dk where they pop up or how big they'll be, hopefully it's just a little icon down by the player name

# 138 jpdavis82 @ 05/19/16 01:45 PM
Just got this from Clint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 139 redsox4evur @ 05/19/16 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Just got this from Clint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We already knew that...Price said it in one of the threads.

# 140 jpdavis82 @ 05/19/16 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
We already knew that...Price said it in one of the threads.

Didn't see that

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.